Old Dinosaur Related Movies/Shows

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Old dinosaur related movies/shows

Post by Rody »

UltramanGoji wrote:Holycrapholycrapholycrap...

Is this one of the segments from that video? Because I swear I watched the same video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy2sGoqQ ... Q&index=95
Bingo!

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

A favorite of mine growing up in the eighties, MY SCIENCE PROJECT !(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msUrUTdPluw The story centering around a motorhead who with his graduation hinging on getting science project together that will knock his teacher's(played by Dennis Hopper) socks off. So the lad breaks into an air force junkyard to find something to pass off. What he discovers is the remains of a crashed UFO's warp drive. And when he plugs it in, all sorts of heck breaks loose. Said warp drive bends time ,and space bringing all eras of time into his high school. Including the prehistoric era where he ,and his friends end up attacked by one huge T-Rex. Pretty cool pre-Jurassic Park dino I must add. Check it out sometime.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Shout!: The Beast of Hollow Mountain/The Neanderthal Man

Post by Tohosaurus »

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Beast ... ray/86772/

Happened across this on blu-ray.com and thought to mention it since The Beast of Hollow Mountain is a classic dinosaur movie. Figured that might interest some people here on TK. Looks like it has a mix of suit and stop-motion work. Its release date is January 28, 2014.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

H-Man
G-Grasper

Re: Shout!: The Beast of Hollow Mountain/The Neanderthal Man

Post by H-Man »

The Beast of Hollow Mountain is a bit slow until the last 20 minutes. The stop motion is a rung or two below Harryhausen's work, but is still to fun to watch. There are a few unconvincing shots of the allosaur's feet made from full-scale mock-ups, but those are few and far between.

I haven't seen The Neanderthal Man yet.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Well this is odd, Amazon has a pre-order for Planet of Dinosaurs-20th Anniversary Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Dinosaurs- ... +dinosaurs

This was released in 2007 but is now OOP. Of course, the cover is a typo, it should have said "30th Anniversary". But this year would be the 36th Anniversary. Seems a bit odd to bring back into print something that is out of date.
I wish it would at least get a Blu-ray.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

starsteam wrote:Well this is odd, Amazon has a pre-order for Planet of Dinosaurs-20th Anniversary Edition

This was released in 2007 but is now OOP. Of course, the cover is a typo, it should have said "30th Anniversary". But this year would be the 36th Anniversary. Seems a bit odd to bring back into print something that is out of date.
If this is indeed true I'll gobble that up in a heartbeat
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

I know a Plesiosaur isn't a Dinosaur, but does anyone know The Crater Lake Monster?

Such an underrated gem. :)

It is also on Blu-Ray as a Double Feature with Galaxina, which I happen to own.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

@Gigan72, the Tokyo Shock one? Yeah I have it, haven't seen it in the original language yet.

I have that Crater Lake blu-ray too, it's a fun little monster flick, even better with Rifftrax (which sadly the DVD is still OOP (though much cheaper to find now) even though the VOD is back. I'm still not sure why they had to remove it at first.)

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

starsteam wrote:Well this is odd, Amazon has a pre-order for Planet of Dinosaurs-20th Anniversary Edition

The way I'm looking at it, they show the anniversary edition for a gigantic price and then the pre-order for a "1-Disc Version". So I don't think this'll be called any type of special edition. I should buy this, though. I find this to be an under-rated film.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

''Planet of Dinosaurs and Crater Lake Monster'' were some of my favorite Dinosaur films when i was really young.

I recent watched both films again, and Crater Lake Monster is okay, it doesn't hold up as well but still an average movie. On the other hand Planet of Dinosaur's is still great... The effects are still pretty damn solid for something made in the 70's, the acting is sub-par at best... The ''Music'' is just weird as hell which makes the film better.

The T-Rex in that film is a monster an pretty much kills everything it comes across.

Dylan20
Samurai

Post by Dylan20 »

Seeing ya'll talk about planet if the dinosaurs is making me want to bust out my VCR and find my old tapes. I use to watch the hell out of that movie when i was younger.

I think i also have Dinosaurus!, Baby secret of the lost legend, and the valley of gwangi.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

gigan72 wrote:
starsteam wrote:@Gigan72, the Tokyo Shock one? Yeah I have it, haven't seen it in the original language yet.
Yup. You should watch it that way sometime. But I haven't seen the dubs, so i'll have to watch those too.
I think it's the same dub used on the Sandy Frank release (the one featured in the KTMA season of MST3K). I remember having the original VHS for the Sandy Frank release... wish I kept it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Another one I forgot to mention was the "91 Land of the Lost show. I watched that one constantly as a kid. I had a few episodes on VHS, but my VCR died years ago. Good thing there's YouTube! I decided to look the show up the other day, for the first time in probably five or six years. Much longer, for some of the episodes. Man, that really took me back. The show still holds up pretty well, in a nostalgic sort of way. It's dumb, but a lot of fun. My little brother and sister were instantly hooked, too, which is great. We've been watching three or four eps a day, and there are some coming up that I don't think I ever saw as a kid. Looking forward to those.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Carnosaur 2 is just Aliens- which is fun, but kind of bland. It starts off pretty cool though, and the raptors are neat, but the ending is a retread in terms of the final fight.

Carnosaur 3 has some nice dinosaur movies, but it doesn't offer much else.

Raptor is a good way to see the best clips from all the Carnosaur movies with once confusing story.

The Eden Formula uses a few clips from Carnosaur, but the rest is done poorly, and the story is pretty bad.

--
I'd recommend the other Carnosaur movies at least, and maybe Raptor. Eden Formula is for hardcore dino-movie-fans.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I haven't even bought it yet. Of course, I don't even have a 3D player, so what good would it do me at full price.
But I haven't heard many comments about it, I guess no one was in a hurry to own that movie.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

starsteam wrote:Carnosaur 2 is just Aliens- which is fun, but kind of bland. It starts off pretty cool though, and the raptors are neat, but the ending is a retread in terms of the final fight.

Carnosaur 3 has some nice dinosaur movies, but it doesn't offer much else.

Raptor is a good way to see the best clips from all the Carnosaur movies with once confusing story.

The Eden Formula uses a few clips from Carnosaur, but the rest is done poorly, and the story is pretty bad.

--
I'd recommend the other Carnosaur movies at least, and maybe Raptor. Eden Formula is for hardcore dino-movie-fans.
The first Carnosaur was too much of a downer to be fun.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Carnosaur 2, which was an Alien/Aliens rip-off, but still a lot of fun. Carnosaur 3 was also sort of fun, although it felt even more like Aliens than part 2, with the marines/navy seals getting in on the action.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

gigan72 wrote:
Godzilla14 wrote:The dinosaur is Gorga the magnificent?
Are you mistaken about.... The Mighty Gorga?
http://teleport-city.com/2008/07/08/mighty-gorga/
The Gorgosaurus from the Walking with Dinosaurs movie is named Gorgone. He might of been referring to that.

Yeah, the first Carnosaur film is a bit negative. I never cared much for the 'heroes die twist' ending.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

The whole Diane Ladd trying to give birth to dinos scene was a deal killer for me in Carnosaur.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

gigan72 wrote:Also, does anyone here have the Image release of The Lost World (1925)? It seems to have an extra 40 minutes when compared to the other releases.
I have that version on DVD. It's pretty cool, especially if you watch it back-to-back with the BBC version. The extended cut of The Lost World is pretty faithful to the book up until the characters reach the plateau, after which it becomes its own creature. The BBC adaptation is the opposite, where it does its own thing until they reach the plateau, after which it more-or-less follows the book quite closely, minus a few details here and there. The only problem is that both options for musical scores (the generic classical score and the modern synthesized score) are pretty boring. The best scored version is the one used that used to be shown on AMC back in the 1990s.

atomiccrusader
Samurai

Post by atomiccrusader »

gigan72 wrote: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/1QjcgBggG9A/0.jpg
I'm bumping this thread.
I recently started watching Kaiju Ouji, or Monster Prince. It is very cheesy and fun, but it is also addicting. There are a ton of episodes on YouTube. The only problem is the lack of subtitles, but the story isn't hard to follow. It is recommended for all who love cheesy dinosaur movies.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_N19alyGDl7E/S ... 0/ko+4.jpg
Also, does anyone here have the Image release of The Lost World (1925)? It seems to have an extra 40 minutes when compared to the other releases.
Cool, I've been looking for that show for a while. Got a link?
And Then A Skeleton Popped Out! | Check out my Tumblr: http://atomic-crusader.tumblr.com