The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:41 pm ^I just finished watching Prey too and If they can salvage the Predator franchise, they can with Alien as well. Same goes for literally every franchise. Based on what we just got, anyone care to speculate what storyline hypothetical new Alien entry could follow? As for its title, they could try leaving out "Alien" like how Prey did with Predator and call such a film Space.
As long as it’s written legitimately well, tells a good story, the horror is actual horror, practical effects are used, and the Alien goes back to being the eerie, methodical, silently intelligent, biomechanical humanoid sexual predator from the original movie, I’m all in for whatever.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just remembered there's an Unrated Edition of Alien vs. Predator and an Extreme Unrated Set of Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem on DVD which I'm thinking of buying. I saw the first film in a theater and loved it, but I never saw the second one the same way. I'll have to check and see if Blu-rays of these same two releases exist.

UPDATE: I checked it out on eBay: the second film is available in a DVD/Blu-ray combo, but not the first one. Guess I'm stuck with this, even though I remember the second one was on DVD alone as well, but I didn't any of those available.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

I'm gonna be Captain Contrarian here and say that this Predator's face didn't bother me all that much. It reminded me of an armored Headcrab. If anything, the previous faces looked more squishy and defenseless by comparison.

We're talking about a complex warrior civilization here. It'd be safe to assume they'd have different skulls/faces depending on what biomes they hailed from. Like, the concept is just Darwin's Galapagos finches taken to an interplanetary scale.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I'm still keen to see a Predator fight a Hippo.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Of course a viking themed Predator movie would be pretty sick.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think it would be cool to see a Predator primarily use a bludgeon rather than a bladed weapon for once.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Saw Prey last night about as a fan of the franchise it's who felt The Predator destroyed my interest in the franchise Prey singled handed brought it back with in what's probably the best and most emotional film in the franchise and pretty much shows why the Yautja considers humans to be worthy prey each of those Comanche warriors were a force to be reckoned with especially Taabe and Naru who are both great characters. Great film.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LOVED Prey. Best Predator sequel since P2 and the Feral Predator ranks right up there with Wolf as my favorite Predator. Wish we heard that classic Predator theme here and there, but that's all I can really complain about. The film was really well done and its damn nice to see a good ole' fashion man in suit monster horror without a ton of goofy comedy thrown in.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I uh enjoyed the lead actress too
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I believe this is the first film to actually have a piece of the Predator creature still intact to be given as proof of its existence right?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:14 pm I think it would be cool to see a Predator primarily use a bludgeon rather than a bladed weapon for once.
In my own Predator story I'm trying write, the Predator crafts bludgeoning clubs from human skulls. I have a scene figured out where the Predator rubs a type salve on the skulls which increases their hardness, strong enough to break stone.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:58 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:14 pm I think it would be cool to see a Predator primarily use a bludgeon rather than a bladed weapon for once.
In my own Predator story I'm trying write, the Predator crafts bludgeoning clubs from human skulls. I have a scene figured out where the Predator rubs a type salve on the skulls which increases their hardness, strong enough to break stone.
That’s a really intriguing concept! It ties together their trophy collecting and melds it with weapon crafting. Making weapons out of their quarries definitely sounds in-line with Preds.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:12 pm I uh enjoyed the lead actress too
She was as hot as the predator was ugly in this film.

Added in 28 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:13 am I believe this is the first film to actually have a piece of the Predator creature still intact to be given as proof of its existence right?
Post credit scenes implies there was clean up.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

CyberZilla wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:08 pm
That’s a really intriguing concept! It ties together their trophy collecting and melds it with weapon crafting. Making weapons out of their quarries definitely sounds in-line with Preds.
Maybe if the Predators were a more primitive species, that would be the case. If anything, they'd use human skulls to decorate their bludgeons made of metal.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:25 pm

Maybe if the Predators were a more primitive species, that would be the case. If anything, they'd use human skulls to decorate their bludgeons made of metal.
The human skulls are still part of the weapon, so that works for me. Something about that concept really intrigues me.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

CyberZilla wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:23 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:25 pm

The human skulls are still part of the weapon, so that works for me. Something about that concept really intrigues me.
Perhaps they could use the skull of some extraterrestrial creature as a bludgeon rather than a human.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:12 pm
Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:12 pm I uh enjoyed the lead actress too
She was as hot as the predator was ugly in this film.

Added in 28 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:13 am I believe this is the first film to actually have a piece of the Predator creature still intact to be given as proof of its existence right?
Post credit scenes implies there was clean up.
Indeed she's gorgeous. But can her beauty match the fem Preds from Hunting Grounds? :P
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

My rating of the Predator films:

1. Predators (8.5/10).
2. Prey (8/10).
3. Predator (7.9/10).
4. Predator 2 (7.5/10).
5. AVP (6/10).
6. AVP:R (4/10).
7. We don't talk about that abomination.

We Don't.

Talk.

About.

That.

Fucking God-forsaken Abomination.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just got done with Pretty. Hey, it actually lived up to the hype! Engaging characters, appropriately simple story, brisk runtime, incredible western scenery, effective tension and atmosphere, intelligent writing, good pacing, and absolutely kickass action. It was really firing on all cylinders.

I loved the initial buildup with the Predator hunting animals on their own terms. The bear fight is one of the highlights of the whole franchise; i particularly liked that shot with the bear rearing up with the green blood dripping out of its mouth. Every scene with the Comanche warriors taking on the Predator was fantastic.

The only part that bogged it down for me was the battle between the Predator and the French trappers. It was a good concept in theory, but Disney obviously stuck their greedy, condescending noses in at this point and decided that the drooling masses couldn't possibly get through the movie without being spoonfed their daily dose of Big and Dumb. And then we had to have that MCU moment where our heroine takes on four or five dudes in a knife fight and shreds them all, throwing her story arc out the window. *sigh* But the rest of the movie was good enough that I'll let that stuff go.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:53 pm The only part that bogged it down for me was the battle between the Predator and the French trappers. It was a good concept in theory, but Disney obviously stuck their greedy, condescending noses in at this point and decided that the drooling masses couldn't possibly get through the movie without being spoonfed their daily dose of Big and Dumb. And then we had to have that MCU moment where our heroine takes on four or five dudes in a knife fight and shreds them all, throwing her story arc out the window. *sigh* But the rest of the movie was good enough that I'll let that stuff go.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The hell is this crotchety cynical-ass take?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"