The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:23 pm Can't wait for Prey, eager to see not only much needed Native American representation but a more down to Earth Predator film. We definitely need this after Shane Black made the worst film in the franchise.
Yeah... I still can't believe a guy who was in the very first Predator film did that.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:26 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:23 pm Can't wait for Prey, eager to see not only much needed Native American representation but a more down to Earth Predator film. We definitely need this after Shane Black made the worst film in the franchise.
Yeah... I still can't believe a guy who was in the very first Predator film did that.
Honestly. Whenever Hawkins bites the dust in the original I now cheer :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:26 pm
Initially I was hyped that Shane Black was the director. I thought to myself "He played Hawkins and helped on the script, surely he would know what makes a great Predator film".

And then we all know what happened. What happened with The Predator makes me think of the scene where Dutch yells at Dillon "You set us up!"
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Sat May 21, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Greyshot151 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:41 am I'd agree with Crimson. Nothing so far gives me a negative view of the film. The director did a prenominal job with his last film and the premise seems like what everyone has been wanting the franchise to do (AKA, place a predator at different points in history). Main thing I'm really hoping for is a Predator vs. Bear fight.
I've heard people talk about this, but I just cannot wrap my head around it;

Out of all the things for the Predator—the skreeonking PREDATOR—to fight, what's so special about a mere bear?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Because bears are 1-ton killing machines. What's better? A lion? A crocodile? A gorilla? Next to a dinosaur or sasquatch, the bear is probably the best all round combatant a predator can find on this planet.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It would take a miracle for this new Predator movie to actually turn out any good.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat May 21, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

LegendZilla wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:20 pm It would take a miracle for this new Predator movie to actually turn out any good.
So far the movies strongest point is the director.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:20 pm It would take a miracle for this new Predator movie to actually turn out any good.
Yeah, after the 2018 disaster I've lost all hope for the Predator series.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:46 pm
Greyshot151 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:41 am I'd agree with Crimson. Nothing so far gives me a negative view of the film. The director did a prenominal job with his last film and the premise seems like what everyone has been wanting the franchise to do (AKA, place a predator at different points in history). Main thing I'm really hoping for is a Predator vs. Bear fight.
I've heard people talk about this, but I just cannot wrap my head around it;

Out of all the things for the Predator—the skreeonking PREDATOR—to fight, what's so special about a mere bear?
A mere bear? Bro they're the largest land carnivore and can take your head off with one good swipe of their claws. They're a brilliant match up against the Predator.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:41 pmA mere bear? Bro they're the largest land carnivore and can take your head off with one good swipe of their claws. They're a brilliant match up against the Predator.
A bear is nothing but breakfast compared to much more dangerous alien lifeforms the yautja has hunted. That's nothing to them.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:57 pm
Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:41 pmA mere bear? Bro they're the largest land carnivore and can take your head off with one good swipe of their claws. They're a brilliant match up against the Predator.
A bear is nothing but breakfast compared to much more dangerous alien lifeforms the yautja has hunted. That's nothing to them.
If a human can put up a good fight against a Predator, so can any apex terrestrial predator (no pun intended).

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:11 pmIf a human can put up a good fight against a Predator, so can any apex terrestrial predator (no pun intended).
The difference is humans are smart and strategic. The humans that the yautjas faced in the films had to use their wits to beat them. Why do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger's character had to keep running away from the yautja in the first film because he'd be no match in a physical fight hand to hand.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:46 am
LegendZilla wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:11 pmIf a human can put up a good fight against a Predator, so can any apex terrestrial predator (no pun intended).
The difference is humans are smart and strategic. The humans that the yautjas faced in the films had to use their wits to beat them. Why do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger's character had to keep running away from the yautja in the first film because he'd be no match in a physical fight hand to hand.
I'm not saying the Predator wouldn't win, but I think you're looking at this as if a predator would be hunting a bear. I don't think they would as they aren't intelligent enough to deploy the same tactics as humans. What they make up for a lack of intelligence is brute force, and I do think that just like people have different tastes, its not unreasonable to think that a Predator, who wants to fight the strongest beasts on a planet to prove physical superiority instead of other superiority, would fight a bear 1v1 without killing it at a long-range. Think instead of a plasma caster, just the metal claws and armor.

Its also not crazy to think humans, especially native americans, could trick the predator in fighting a bear or leading it to a bear, resulting in an unexpected fight. Sure the Predator has plenty of vicious weapons, but if he's caught off-guard, it be a sure convenient way in the film to disable the plasma caster or do some real physical damage against the alien before the bear goes down.
Last edited by Greyshot151 on Mon May 23, 2022 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

A dude with a katana was able to kill one of these super elite hunters just with a little swordplay. While a bear may not put up a huge strategic fight, a bear against an inexperienced hunter would be nothing short of entertaining.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Maritonic wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:12 am A dude with a katana was able to kill one of these super elite hunters just with a little swordplay. While a bear may not put up a huge strategic fight, a bear against an inexperienced hunter would be nothing short of entertaining.
As cool as that little sword duel was, looking back. I don't think the Falconer Predator should have gone down that easily from such a cut. I mean we didn't see his guts spill out, so I can't imagine it was that deep.

The City Hunter in Predator 2 got shot with a shotgun 9 times at near point blank range, and still lived long enough to keep fighting and heal himself.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:47 am
Maritonic wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:12 am A dude with a katana was able to kill one of these super elite hunters just with a little swordplay. While a bear may not put up a huge strategic fight, a bear against an inexperienced hunter would be nothing short of entertaining.
As cool as that little sword duel was, looking back. I don't think the Falconer Predator should have gone down that easily from such a cut. I mean we didn't see his guts spill out, so I can't imagine it was that deep.

The City Hunter in Predator 2 got shot with a shotgun 9 times at near point blank range, and still lived long enough to keep fighting and heal himself.
Oh no, fully agree. I hate that kill, and wasn't trying to say it's a high point of the franchise lol. But, it still exists in the canon. So moving forward, a fight between an inexperienced hunter and a huge bear doesn't sound so ridiculous.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Oh hell yes. Seeing a Predator armed with only hand-to-hand weapons taking on an apex predator (pun) like a bear would be a real treat if done right. You can't really compare how a bear would fight compared to how Arnie did it in the 80s, especially if its a momma bear protecting her cubs. You also got to remember that certain aspects of the Predators, like their cloaking, won't be as effective against certain animals because they can follow scent trails much better than any human can.

Honestly thinking about it... I'm not 100% convinced a Predator would survive an encounter with a pissed off grizzly bear without the use of any explosive, plasma, or general BS weaponry beyond claws.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

lol, I remember in one of the Predator novels I have they were literally killing bears for fun.
Resized Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:00 pm lol, I remember in one of the Predator novels I have they were literally killing bears for fun.
Don’t they just kill for sport in general

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Greyshot151 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:24 am
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:46 am
I'm not saying the Predator wouldn't win, but I think you're looking at this as if a predator would be hunting a bear. I don't think they would as they aren't intelligent enough to deploy the same tactics as humans. What they make up for a lack of intelligence is brute force, and I do think that just like people have different tastes, its not unreasonable to think that a Predator, who wants to fight the strongest beasts on a planet to prove physical superiority instead of other superiority, would fight a bear 1v1 without killing it at a long-range. Think instead of a plasma caster, just the metal claws and armor.

Its also not crazy to think humans, especially native americans, could trick the predator in fighting a bear or leading it to a bear, resulting in an unexpected fight. Sure the Predator has plenty of vicious weapons, but if he's caught off-guard, it be a sure convenient way in the film to disable the plasma caster or do some real physical damage against the alien before the bear goes down.
Well… … …it does sound a lot more entertaining than some of the other fights the Predator comics have given us.

I’ll admit, I think seeing a Predator go wrist blade-to-clawed hand with a boar Kodiak Bear would be much cooler to see than, say, a Predator duking it out with a giant white dudebro on steroids.

Looking at you, Predator: Fire and Stone.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image