General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by tbeasley »

Not the biggest MST3K fan either but come on.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Watching showa gamera is a fucking punishment, mst3k makes it so much better
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:37 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:59 am I'd like to mention though that sans Gamera, Gamera vs Baragon and parts of Gamera vs. Gyaos, the Show Gamera series is so over the top and probably really self-aware about how ridiculous it is. I think the movies want you to laugh at it when Gamera does a gym vault in Gamera vs. Guiron or when Gamera plays the xylophone with Zigra in Gamera vs. Zigra. Gamera conceptually is also way stranger than Godzilla, and even in the first film there seems to be some self-awareness.
Preach! :applause:
Being able to watch the Showa Gamera in it's proper aspect ratio and original language has been a godsend.
I love it when Gamera uses Zigra as a musical instrument.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

I've always been odd that I can equally enjoy the movies on their own (no matter how silly or bad) and enjoy the riffed version as well. Absolutely no problem.

I love MST3K (& Rifftrax and The Mads.) And I love a number of the movies they mock on their own in a non-laughing at way - just enjoyment. That said there are times - as a long-time horror host fanboy (nowadays that is Svengoolie and Marlena Midnite) - when I do prefer the more classic HH style where there is little to no mocking during the movie but only in the sketches between them.

Different moods/hats/etc. It's all good depending on what I'm looking for at the moment.

- Michael

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mwbworld wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:15 am Different moods/hats/etc. It's all good depending on what I'm looking for at the moment.
Yeah, definitely agree.

If I want to watch, say, The Amazing Colossal Man, I'll watch the movie itself, not the MST episode. But if I want to watch MST3K, that might be one of the episodes I'll put on. The movie itself and the movie in the context of the episode are different experiences, different things altogether.

A major factor to my enjoying MST3K is that I legitimately enjoy some or most of the movies they show in their original forms. Their episodes that I find the most tedious are usually ones using movies I can't appreciate at all.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:19 pm Watching showa gamera is a fucking punishment, mst3k makes it so much better
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I dunno making fun of Kenny in the first Gamera makes the viewing a bit sweeter.
https://youtu.be/wZBMCc4_TqI?t=4322

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I agree it's mostly the latter Showa Gamera that have that selfaware goofiness. Gamera vs Gyaos is the first to really focus on being a kaiju movie for kids, but it plays things completely straight, it never feels ironic or anything. It's a very sincere take on the idea of Gamera as the Friend of All Children, much like Gamera the Brave. And Vs Barugon is pretty much a 60s Godzilla in terms of tone.

On the other hand I don't think vs Viras was really trying to be selfaware, it's closer to the spirit of early Gamera movies, it's just hobbled by budget restrictions. Like recycling black and white footage of Gamera destroying a city isn't intentional comedy, it's just mindbending weirdness.

And the original Gamera movie is a mess tonally, it has no idea what it wants to be.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah now that's a fair criticism of the first Gamera. Is the kid supposed to be crazy or the voice of reason? At the same time Gamera really does seem to save him...and then roasts people alive.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

mwbworld wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:15 amas a long-time horror host fanboy (nowadays that is Svengoolie and Marlena Midnite) - when I do prefer the more classic HH style where there is little to no mocking during the movie but only in the sketches between them.
What channel does Marlena come on? I've only seen Svengoolie (METV) and Nightmare Theatre (PBS).
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:08 am Yeah now that's a fair criticism of the first Gamera. Is the kid supposed to be crazy or the voice of reason? At the same time Gamera really does seem to save him...and then roasts people alive.
Childhood Idealism gone completely wrong.

I've never said this before, but the Japanese cut of Gamera the Invincible has always felt like a fever dream to me. I'm not sure why, but maybe because it's one of the latest black and white films ever made. People have already discussed how strange the film is tonally, but there's a lot of other wistful scenes. The film has this strange silence to it that is difficult to describe. For example, Gamera and the lighthouse, or later with the factory and the train sequence. Gamera is just sort of chilling, eating oil, and because of the film being black and white, he's just sort of there...

I'll try to find a screenshot but let me know if anyone else has felt this way.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I really need to rewatch the original. It's been a very long time, since somewhere in the mid-2000s, and that was on a bargain bin DVD. I barely remember anything from it. Gonna need to break out the Arrow disk soon.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:18 pm I really need to rewatch the original. It's been a very long time, since somewhere in the mid-2000s, and that was on a bargain bin DVD. I barely remember anything from it. Gonna need to break out the Arrow disk soon.
Terasawa has made a convincing argument before that "Gammera The Invincible" is the superior film, and I actually agree. However, I suggest watching the original in the best quality as possible in Japanese at least once to see what I'm talking about.

Man, even though I've been excited with Godzilla vs. Kong and Godzilla SP, recent Gashapons and toys (heh) have gotten me re-invested in Gamera.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:22 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:18 pm I really need to rewatch the original. It's been a very long time, since somewhere in the mid-2000s, and that was on a bargain bin DVD. I barely remember anything from it. Gonna need to break out the Arrow disk soon.
Terasawa has made a convincing argument before that "Gammera The Invincible" is the superior film, and I actually agree. However, I suggest watching the original in the best quality as possible in Japanese at least once to see what I'm talking about.

Man, even though I've been excited with Godzilla vs. Kong and Godzilla SP, recent Gashapons and toys (heh) have gotten me re-invested in Gamera.
What's Gashapons?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Vakanai wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:27 pm

What's Gashapons?
a scam made to indoctrinate Japanese kids into gambling Collectible figures in vending machines. Pop in 400 yen and get a random figure.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

Vakanai wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:29 pm
mwbworld wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:15 amas a long-time horror host fanboy (nowadays that is Svengoolie and Marlena Midnite) - when I do prefer the more classic HH style where there is little to no mocking during the movie but only in the sketches between them.
What channel does Marlena come on? I've only seen Svengoolie (METV) and Nightmare Theatre (PBS).
She's broadcast in Iowa and you buy the DVDs but sometime in June she's have national available - she's supposed to do an announcement of the national availability - channel (claims it will be most everywhere in the US) and other details soonish. I've been buying the DVDs for years and watching her stuff when she posts it on facebook and youtube.

When she announces I'll give you a heads up on the details.

- Michael

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Specifically, Toshio doesn't come off quite as sociopathic in the original U.S. version because the editor snipped a lot of that footage. However, most of the Hollywood-shot footage in that version bogs the film down because it's flatly acted, lifelessly directed, etc., so that version is really only a slight improvement, all things considered.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I guess I'll watch the original version, then. Gammera the Invincible is the only version I've seen, so I guess I've missed out on this sociopathic kid I keep hearing about.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:36 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:27 pm

What's Gashapons?
a scam made to indoctrinate Japanese kids into gambling Collectible figures in vending machines. Pop in 400 yen and get a random figure.
Oh vending machine toys! I got a Harley Quinn keychain from a vending machine last month, it looks cool.

Added in 1 minute 38 seconds:
mwbworld wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:57 am
Vakanai wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:29 pm
She's broadcast in Iowa and you buy the DVDs but sometime in June she's have national available - she's supposed to do an announcement of the national availability - channel (claims it will be most everywhere in the US) and other details soonish. I've been buying the DVDs for years and watching her stuff when she posts it on facebook and youtube.

When she announces I'll give you a heads up on the details.

- Michael
Sounds cool, thanks!
I always liked the horror host platform for seeing old horror movies.

Added in 56 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:33 pm I guess I'll watch the original version, then. Gammera the Invincible is the only version I've seen, so I guess I've missed out on this sociopathic kid I keep hearing about.
He was in Gammera the Invincible too. You might just have blocked him out from your memories...

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Vakanai wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:09 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:33 pm I guess I'll watch the original version, then. Gammera the Invincible is the only version I've seen, so I guess I've missed out on this sociopathic kid I keep hearing about.
He was in Gammera the Invincible too. You might just have blocked him out from your memories...
I vaguely remember him from GTI, but what I'm saying is I haven't gotten the full picture if that version of the movie cuts out a lot of the relevant screentime.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue May 18, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.