IDW Godzilla #1 REACTION Thread

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
RaymondBurr
Samurai

Re: IDW Godzilla #1 REACTION Thread

Post by RaymondBurr »

Gyaos wrote: I may pick this up if I ever get the chance.
The great news is that since IDW has made Godzilla comics available digitally, we all have the chance to get any issue, whenever is most convenient for us!

You can get GODZILLA #1 from Comixology-
http://www.comixology.com/Godzilla-Ongo ... R120364IDW

Or browse through the entire IDW Godzilla library here-
http://www.comixology.com/search?search=godzilla

Digital sales support the book just as much as print sales too--IDW has been amazingly transparent with their digital sales numbers for other books. Hopefully, this format will contribute to the success of the franchise too!

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

To make my point Dagarah, from what I understand this new first issue is a continuation of the KOM series. Therefore, I made the comment that Godzilla does indeed use his beam too often. Even if this is a seperate story/universe, IDW in general has overused Godzilla's signature radioactive beam. Maybe most aren't bothered by the fact, but I often wonder why they can't execute more exciting action sequences? For example; when Godzilla squares off against Anguirus in KOM issue 4, Godzilla quickly spams a defenseless Anguirus with his death ray. I remember thinking how cheap to use the beam in the start of the battle and not save it for the climax.

Regarding Godzilla's intellegance and motives, well he is destructive here, but it's done so in a similar way that a kid would play with his monster toys on a lego city. It's never clear why Godzilla travels to different cities throughout the world in this series. Ok fine maybe we dont need an explination. But just where is this story going? Why dont we know more about this Godzilla now than we did in the first KOM issue? Does IDW just assume that Godzilla is already established as a iconic character and so there is no reason to venture beyond that?

Quite obviously when it comes to the 90s Godzilla design, I'm not much of a fan. The bulk and limited mobility is just not the way to go in a 2012 comic book. And how is it that Toho affect the overall look of Godzilla in these comics when Godzilla's appearence is not very well consistant in the first place? For instance KOM #1 had a unique GMK/54 appearence and later began to look similar to the 90s version. I doubt there is a set template on which Godzilla design should be used in IDWs version.

SJM925
E.S.P.Spy

Post by SJM925 »

Wow. I really liked it. It was better than most issues of KoM.

DagarahX
Samurai

Post by DagarahX »

tenup wrote:To make my point Dagarah, from what I understand this new first issue is a continuation of the KOM series. Therefore, I made the comment that Godzilla does indeed use his beam too often. Even if this is a seperate story/universe, IDW in general has overused Godzilla's signature radioactive beam. Maybe most aren't bothered by the fact, but I often wonder why they can't execute more exciting action sequences? For example; when Godzilla squares off against Anguirus in KOM issue 4, Godzilla quickly spams a defenseless Anguirus with his death ray. I remember thinking how cheap to use the beam in the start of the battle and not save it for the climax.

Regarding Godzilla's intellegance and motives, well he is destructive here, but it's done so in a similar way that a kid would play with his monster toys on a lego city. It's never clear why Godzilla travels to different cities throughout the world in this series. Ok fine maybe we dont need an explination. But just where is this story going? Why dont we know more about this Godzilla now than we did in the first KOM issue? Does IDW just assume that Godzilla is already established as a iconic character and so there is no reason to venture beyond that?

Quite obviously when it comes to the 90s Godzilla design, I'm not much of a fan. The bulk and limited mobility is just not the way to go in a 2012 comic book. And how is it that Toho affect the overall look of Godzilla in these comics when Godzilla's appearence is not very well consistant in the first place? For instance KOM #1 had a unique GMK/54 appearence and later began to look similar to the 90s version. I doubt there is a set template on which Godzilla design should be used in IDWs version.
When you make a point then you should make it a well known general statement, thus far to me, you've planted the statement upon the first issue. It was very murky, and was not panned out well enough for me to understand, give a general statement to avoid any form of confusion. I've read up upon the tradebacks of KOM recently, Godzilla pretty much uses his atomic ray very much, but it seems more like a go-by situation. Overtime with Toho (From the look of the later films), the atomic ray itself has become more of a common yet powerful attack despite it being a iconic ability. IDW most likely was going from that. The Atomic ray is not something worth saving for a climax since its become more common, the only thing to save for a climax of a intense battle(revolving around the abilities of Godzilla and if set up right within the comics) is the Nuclear Pulse, or the Spiral Atomic Ray. Why not more action sequences? Depends on the writer, and of course, the limitations of the artist. Not all artists can bring something that sounds like an awesome idea on paper properly out and on stage for us. Some manage to and results were decent or good, but others don't transition well and would end up looking like something that should have just stayed as an idea.

The story is going from the lead direction of the human cast, but while they are the focused drive, they aren't as well strucuted either. They are important, the story of this on-going has made that clear. But its the monsters that make them important, the monsters help set-up their journey by giving the human cast themselves more reasons to pursuit them by tearing down their precious world. Like KOM, this is a survival type story with Kaiju anarchy mixed into it, the only difference is that its a lot better, and should have been what KOM originally suppose to have been. I assume IDW isn't going to drill deeply into Godzilla's origin because it had already been spaced out in KOM. A prehistoric tyrant force reawakened and mutated within a modern age of technology, and now its striking the world like a hurricane. This Godzilla, most likely like Togera from WOTM, is simply being driven by survival instincts. Its a relic within a world that does not want it, and humanity is aggressively delivering that message through the uses of destructive arms and a nuke. Survival is all that matters, almost everything is a target. If anything, IDW could at least try to give us clues on what had awakened Godzilla in the first place in KOM, and if there were any signs of his kind somewhat. But that's not going to happen.

There's not much to say about this Godzilla, after all, it is the same exact Godzilla from KOM. So why try to figure out what's been established in its own way? There isn't really a need to do so, the only thing that IDW allowed the readers to figure out is where this Godzilla had came from, which Boxer had plainly given away.
"Ya should've cleared everyone hours ago, when this bugger first crawled out of his grave!"

Although if the first issue indicates anything, Rodan and Battra most likely reawakened first and went their own ways, while Godzilla himself was the last one to reawaken.

Godzilla's look in KOM mostly ranged in the Heisei design with traits of Gojira 54, of course, this was Hester's work so he was doing his own version, but kept it close enough to the Heisei Design, most likely to keep Toho pleased. Well, either it was that or Hester did not have the proper handle on his Godzilla's overall appearance yet when it was game time. Either way, I believed Bobby.C stated that they could not use different Godzilla designs and could not mix up the different incarnation's powers and abilities. And of course, he stated that it depends on the writer and what he's aiming at. (That in itself tells that if the pitch is good, and if the writer asks for permission to use this or that, with great art examples, then Toho might give the green-light) They may not have a set template but Toho is still gold line defense in what's approved and what's not.

As for the 2012 part...Meh, its just a different year, it doesn't mean that we have to change anything, so long as its delivered well and is overall satisfying with good results, then that's all that matters.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:Godzilla doesn't really have a real motive in the majority of the films either if I remember correctly. In most of the Hesei and Millenium series he just sort of shows up like a force of nature, like he does in this comic.
FILMS WHERE GODZILLA HAS A DEFINED MOTIVE:

Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
Son of Godzilla
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla's Revenge
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2
Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
Godzilla 2000
GMK
Godzilla: Final Wars

So...17/28, a specific motive can be discerned.
And in every single film he's had personality. A mindless force of nature is flat out BORING. Godzilla is the title character. He needs personality to drive his series. He can't just be a plot device. It's insulting and lazy. Another thing that bothers me is we never see Godzilla in a state of vulnerability(relatively, like sleeping or eating) in the Main line of comics. There's nothing that makes the reader care about him, which is essential to create a fan of him. Even if you want him to be a bad guy, All the great comic book villains are compelling. Godzilla cannot just be a random monster that destroys the same cities over and over and over again. He needs friends, enemies, simple motivation, wit, personality. there's a sense of samey-ness the series has sunk to. Oh, look, Battra is destroying a european city and no one's doing anything, again. There is so much depth to this universe that is being flat out ignored in favor of IDW trying to make the franchise something it's not. And that's horrible when you compare it to how unbelievably right Legends got it.
Wanting to see more Godzilla is fine, but does he really need a motive or personality?
Am I going crazy? Am I even on a Godzilla forum? What's happening here? Are you a fan? This is one of the worst things I've ever heard a "fan" say about his own franchise. It's like an Elder Scrolls fan asking "Do we really need Skyrim to be an RPG?" Like....really?
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

Godzilla has evolved as a character since the original film....yes, he needs personality.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Post by Bentley »

He also needs a challenge to rise to the ocasion. Godzilla may be moved by his primal instincts most of the time, but it's because of his stubborn and proud nature that he is so charismatic.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

Dagarah, I guess the two of us have a different set of opinions on this subject. Since you seem to favor the fact that Godzilla is being used as a plot device in this series to compliment the "main characters", there's no wonder why you dont get where I'm coming from. And I think Svitska Donkun hits it right on the mark with the comment he/she left above. In all honesty, I think the first KOM issue was well executed. The fact that they made Godzilla the main focus of the issue, while introducing no name characters (with the exeption of Ogden), who would later become directly involved with the kaiju. They were just ordinary people affected by the results of Godzilla's wrath. What they are now trying to do is give us a heroic action star like lead character who does flashy things and convinces the reader that he can kick Godzilla's mindless azz. And even I admit that Boxer is the better star than Godzilla in this first issue. When I'm more interested in the human character in a Godzilla story than anything else, there's something wrong there.

Now don't get me wrong, so far I like what they are doing with the main characters, but it shouldn't be at the expense of giving Godzilla the back seat to all of this. Make Godzilla just as impactful as the lead character and the story will be alot more compelling. But IDW and obviously some of you fans on this forum believe that all Godzilla needs to do to be impactful is destroy cities and use his atomic ray.

Let me give an example of how to make Godzilla interesting. Godzilla needs a habitat where it can rest, whether it be in a cave on some remote island, or even the ocean depths, and when that habitat is disturbed by humans, it should drive the monster into a raging fit causing him to wreck havoc on human populated areas. Godzilla needs something to lose just as the main characters in the story. And since IDW has not fully established that with their version, it needs to be done.

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

tenup wrote:I have some gripes towards it such as the fact that they continue to use Godzilla's Heisei Series design. There's really no point in making Godzilla look like a man in suit from a 90s flick in a comic book, and giving him so much bulk and limitations. I mean this is 2012, and there have been way better designs created for Godzilla since the 90s era. The design they used on cover A was incredible. Why wont they utilize that desing within the pannels in the comic book? Or even the design they used in the first KOM issue? Another thing is Godzilla uses his death ray far too often, when not even provoked to do so. They could portray Godzilla in a much more sophisticated way. Godzilla just seems mindless and doesnt seem to have any sort of intellegance or clear motives within the comic. In the back of my mind, something tell's me that the team over at IDW dont really know how to use Godzilla in the story they are trying to tell.
Oh, I disagree completely in regard to the Heisei design complaint as well as your opinion that better designs have been introduced since. Of course, a person's opinion is his opinion, but I couldn't disagree with you more. I think that every design from the Millennium series was at best poorly executed (at worst, quite mediocre to begin with). Some of the art that went along with Godzilla 2000 portrayed a much more impressive Godzilla than the one that would wind up in the film. The design from GMK looked pretty great before they actually made the suit (which looked as if it might literally fall apart at any moment - also, did they tell the suit actor how bad his hand gestures looked in those gloves? Power Rangers, anyone?).
No, I think the Heisei is still the most respectable era for story telling, monster design, and special effects. It was the last era where a creative team actually cared about what they were doing with Godzilla. Maybe that tradition passed with Honda and Tanaka?
I agree with your concerns about the comic, however.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

You people do realize this is issue number 1 right? The start of a new series? Everything is not going to be done in the first issue good lord

You all complained about little human cast in KOM....okay fine...but when they start to establish that in issue 1 of the new series now you complain that the monsters arent being done properly?

I'm starting to think people get on here just to complain for the sake of it
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

You can count me out as one of those people who complained about the lack of human character development in the KOM series. I didn't have a issue agaiinst them not establishing a lead character because to me that just means that this particular character will survive no matter what happens and sort've give him/her/them immunity to all the chaos that unfolds. In the first few issues of KOM, they did a good job of making everyone seem vulnerable. Anyway, yes I am expressing issues I have towards the direction of this comic series, but at the same time I can point out some of the things they are getting right.

Come to think of it, yeah I do remember most people on the IDW Godzilla thread complaining about the lack of character development early on in the last series. It was all good with me though, because I was more concerned about the strange incidents causing the monsters to suddenly appear and the unexplained death of the various wildlife which was never focused on or covered. Maybe with the exception of that kid from Russia I believe in KOM issue 5 who figured out why the monsters were attacking, only to be killed by fallen debris caused by Rodan. That's about as close as we got to getting some answers.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Loved it. Have no desire to "get into the head" of Godzilla. There's nothing "creative" or "interesting" about anthropomorphizing creatures; in fact, quite the opposite. You take away the mystery and awe of a character like Godzilla by hearing his thoughts. I don't need to hear something along the lines of, "These annoying humans. I just want to be left alone."

Godzilla has done pretty well for himself for the last 58 years without anybody getting "in his head".

Plus, is it silly to anyone else when people try and critique something by complaining that it isn't what they want? If you break the merits of a work down using a system of "what I would do", then you're doing it wrong. You have to judge it on its own merits, not the dream of it you have in your head.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

StonedHope
Interpol Agent

Post by StonedHope »

Captain Aktion wrote:Loved it. Have no desire to "get into the head" of Godzilla. There's nothing "creative" or "interesting" about anthropomorphizing creatures; in fact, quite the opposite. You take away the mystery and awe of a character like Godzilla by hearing his thoughts. I don't need to hear something along the lines of, "These annoying humans. I just want to be left alone."

Godzilla has done pretty well for himself for the last 58 years without anybody getting "in his head".

Plus, is it silly to anyone else when people try and critique something by complaining that it isn't what they want? If you break the merits of a work down using a system of "what I would do", then you're doing it wrong. You have to judge it on its own merits, not the dream of it you have in your head.
Here, here on all counts.

I recall reading Godzilla invades America and really disliking Godzilla's first appearance. In it they write his thought and how he hates buildings. It was awkward anthropomorphizing.

Also tenup, why dont you talk about what you did like
Currently living in Taiwan (month 9).
If anyone is considering teaching English abroad as a good way to travel. I recommend you do it now and that you consider Taiwan. So far, I think it has the best of Southeast Asia.

DagarahX
Samurai

Post by DagarahX »

tenup wrote:Dagarah, I guess the two of us have a different set of opinions on this subject. Since you seem to favor the fact that Godzilla is being used as a plot device in this series to compliment the "main characters", there's no wonder why you dont get where I'm coming from. And I think Svitska Donkun hits it right on the mark with the comment he/she left above. In all honesty, I think the first KOM issue was well executed. The fact that they made Godzilla the main focus of the issue, while introducing no name characters (with the exeption of Ogden), who would later become directly involved with the kaiju. They were just ordinary people affected by the results of Godzilla's wrath. What they are now trying to do is give us a heroic action star like lead character who does flashy things and convinces the reader that he can kick Godzilla's mindless azz. And even I admit that Boxer is the better star than Godzilla in this first issue. When I'm more interested in the human character in a Godzilla story than anything else, there's something wrong there.

Now don't get me wrong, so far I like what they are doing with the main characters, but it shouldn't be at the expense of giving Godzilla the back seat to all of this. Make Godzilla just as impactful as the lead character and the story will be alot more compelling. But IDW and obviously some of you fans on this forum believe that all Godzilla needs to do to be impactful is destroy cities and use his atomic ray.

Let me give an example of how to make Godzilla interesting. Godzilla needs a habitat where it can rest, whether it be in a cave on some remote island, or even the ocean depths, and when that habitat is disturbed by humans, it should drive the monster into a raging fit causing him to wreck havoc on human populated areas. Godzilla needs something to lose just as the main characters in the story. And since IDW has not fully established that with their version, it needs to be done.
I favor balance, Godzilla is very important and like the other monsters as well, give any survivor's of their 'wrath' a powerful reason to be relevant to the story, and allow them to craft their own futures. The monsters develop the human cast, while in turn, the human cast develops the monsters in where we see their painful connections that they formed with the human cast, and how the monsters torn down humanity's fragile world in favor of surviving. If I recall, Gojira/Godzilla King of the Monsters, is pretty much a human story in which Godzilla is impactful and a plot device. Without the heavy anti-nuclear war message, the structure of that film is working into this new series. KOM was decently executed in its first issue, it wasn't well executed at all due to a few obvious reasons that tug certain people in the wrong way. Godzilla was indirectly the main focus, the destruction, how mankind handled/crumbled under the weight of a monster apocalypse, and how it affected many people's lives (The original idea of that particular arc) was the main focus. Godzilla was given character development in how his nuclear origin was mapped out in the first issue, but that was the only short period in which Godzilla was given a main focus spotlight. From then onward, Godzilla was a indirect main monster character. However, Godzilla became a main character once again at the very end of KOM, when the Evil Twins finally located Godzilla and tried to control him. At that point, there was no Steve Woods etc, or Odgen, it was just Godzilla and the Twins. Rodan and Battra both remained as back seat monsters.

If given some time, the writer could give the reader small developments of character within the monsters. Nothing fancy, maybe giving small viewpoints from the monsters standing about humanity and the world they do not belong within. There ya go, monster character development. But that might not completely happen.

Godzilla has been impactful for once more, tearing down humanity, causing not only destruction, but countless deaths (Directly, and indirectly from this new series) as well. He has created painful ties with those he had affected, very much like what the Dark Horse Godzilla did with Yoshiwara. That's impactful, and those people as to who you are referring to, see that.

Technically, Godzilla has already lost something, a world to call his own. As stated before, mankind does not want Godzilla around, and are delivering that message very aggressively through destructive arms. He does not belong in this world, for his time (if there was a time in which he had once reign upon the world) is over. He has also lost a peaceful state of mind, (if he possibly had one), left and right, he's being constantly attack by things he does not understand, metal birds, strange metallic ground creatures, other monsters etc. So what is there left to do? Take out everything that might or want to take him out, simply survive. Godzilla has lost all of this, and if mirrored properly with a few adjustments, is similar to what the main lead character has lost as well.

Its true, we are on two different platforms, so I'll just personally drop this.(Don't want to give the impression that we're tearing down this specific thread) Although I will admit, it was actually interesting having a debate between different viewpoints, but I'll acknowledge and respect that you have a different standing in something Godzilla related from my own.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

gatorzilla wrote: You all complained about little human cast in KOM....okay fine...but when they start to establish that in issue 1 of the new series now you complain that the monsters arent being done properly?

This comment would hold more weight if KOM developed ANYTHING. It wasn't once sided in terms of development, it was just NOTHING. Nothingness.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Post by Bentley »

Captain Aktion wrote:Loved it. Have no desire to "get into the head" of Godzilla. There's nothing "creative" or "interesting" about anthropomorphizing creatures; in fact, quite the opposite. You take away the mystery and awe of a character like Godzilla by hearing his thoughts. I don't need to hear something along the lines of, "These annoying humans. I just want to be left alone."

I think you're deconstructing the argument against a featureless Godzilla wrong. It is not about making Godzilla anthropomorphic nor giving him "thoughts", it is effectively about making his something other than "just another monster". You have a huge cast of monsters, so why should we be interested in Godzilla instead of all the other kaiju? It's not just about power, most kaiju are already unstoppable by conventional means, it shouldn't be just a question of "who gets to win" when two monsters go head to head. Godzilla is an iconic character and by reducing it to a "force of nature" among others, you're diminishing it's impact. If Goji was featured as a solo threat, the lack of individual traits would be more acceptable, but here it just isn't the case.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

@ Donkun.

Yes. I'm a fucking fan, now stop insulting me for simply making a rebuttal to your argument.

The fact of the matter is, there are nearly a dozen Godzilla films you did not list where Godzilla does not have a defined motive. In fact, I beg to ask what exactly is Godzilla's motive in the Hesei films you listed or in Godzilla 2000?

Again, as many people have pointed out, the series has only been around for a single issue. The focus of this specific issue also centers around the human cast, who are unlikely to understand the motive for Godzilla to begin with. Take Cloverfield for example. The cast of that movie really has no idea what Clover is or why it is attacking New York because of the focus of the narrative. Godzilla could very likely have a motive that has yet to be understood.

I however have always had an issue with anthropomorphising Godzilla and his fellow monsters to the points of making them have super human intelligence. They are monsters, and yes they are intelligent, but they don't need psychologically in-depth motivations for why they destroy cities. Would I like to see Godzilla as a character? Yes. It's why I watch Godzilla movies. But having a human like motivation is not something I deem necessary for the character or the series. Numerous entries in the series have worked fine without, and again, how would the human cast at the moment even understand it?

One of the largest aspects of Kingdom of Monsters was the fact that why the monsters were appearing was largely a mystery, and to this point in the current series it is still a mystery. Godzilla could very well have had a motivation through the entirety of the last series, but we quite simply wouldn't have known it seeing as the reasoning for the monsters origin is still a large point of the IDW mythology that's still being delved into.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I have alot of personal qualms with the Heisei design. It's exceptionally mediocre and the humping it gets is even more annoying because it's done at the cost of making something with Godzilla artistically distinct because we've been "blessed with perfection".

But, the design is inconsequential to what I'm reading. There's so many more important elements of a comic to discuss that could be legitimately discussed and critiqued.

I agree that Godzilla is a character and getting into his head is something that could be done successfully without turning into some weird anthropomorphism fan-fic situation. I think the Marvel comic did this exceptionally well and it makes the Marv' Zilla one of my favorite incarnations.

However, this is only the first issue of a series and the preference is clearly swinging on the side of making the humans the focus, but there's plenty of room to give Godzilla his moment to shine. If they want to achieve both, then all the power to them.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Svitska Donkun wrote:
gatorzilla wrote: You all complained about little human cast in KOM....okay fine...but when they start to establish that in issue 1 of the new series now you complain that the monsters arent being done properly?

This comment would hold more weight if KOM developed ANYTHING. It wasn't once sided in terms of development, it was just NOTHING. Nothingness.
Exactly. I think people are mistaking the criticism of Godzilla as a character with "gee folks, you wanted more developed characters...and now you're complaining there isn't enough focus on the monsters. You'll never be satisfied!" Nothing could be further from the truth...KOM failed to develop characters for both Godzilla/Rodan/KG/Angilas/Kumonga/Battra/etc. and the human characters. I haven't read this first issue yet, and it's too early to pass utlimate praise/damnation on it, but it seems everyone is pleased with the more developed human characters...yet, it seems as if Godzilla is still just a "force of nature" with no personality, and that's all Donkun was getting at. G: Legends did a good job of delivering both strong monster and human characters (as did the Marvel and Dark Horse series), and hopefully this will eventually happen with this new series...

TokyoVigilante wrote:I have alot of personal qualms with the Heisei design. It's exceptionally mediocre and the humping it gets is even more annoying because it's done at the cost of making something with Godzilla artistically distinct because we've been "blessed with perfection".
I'm not near as bothered by this as you are, but you do have a good point. It seems it's either "Heisei" G or "G2k/GMK" Goji and nothing else. Why not GFW-Goji, or some showa designs like Mosu-Goji or G68? I think it would be neat to see more variety of the different designs instead of the same incarnations (Heisei/G2K/Millennium) again and again. Bob Eggleton's G:Legends 5 cover was a great example of how neat it would be see an older suit/incarnation on the cover (in this case G62)...so why not see one of these older designs actually inside the book itself?
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

^The artists don't get to decide what design to use. Toho does.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score