IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by Shenanigans »

Frankenstein is public domain, so theoretically IDW can use the character if they so desired. Toho's specific version of Frankenstein might be another story, though; IIRC, Universal trademarked their own design of Frankenstein's Monster based on the original Boris Karloff film. I'm doubtful Toho has something similar in place that they would enforce, but at the end of the day, I'm much more doubtful it'd ever come up at any point.

Frankly, I'm wondering what the odds of really obscure characters like the Gargantuas or the Space Amoeba gang ever popping up again anyways. I'm just glad they got used at all (and the fact that the Gargantuas got to finally fight Godzilla).
Last edited by Shenanigans on Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Dogora vs. Godzilla might be interesting.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:24 am Frankly, I'm wondering what the odds of really obscure characters like the Gargantuas or the Space Amoeba gang ever popping up again anyways. I'm just glad they got used at all (and the fact that the Gargantuas got to finally fight Godzilla).
Gezora and Kameobas at least appeared in that final issue of Godzilla: Rage Across Time. I'm sure they'll appear in the background, but I agree they probably won't be a focus. The Gargantuas got a lot of play in ROE, briefly filling the role of "monster protagonist" (other examples including Godzilla, Jet Jaguar, and briefly King Shisa). I doubt the Space Amoeba trio will ever fill that role. They're sort of random space mooks and lack the backstory/personality of any of the other monsters. Also, for what it's worth, all the other monsters are very humanoid.

I think the best we got was the "mock" Space Amoeba group we got with Titanosaurus, Gezora, and Manda. Strange to me in hindsight that it wasn't just the Space Amoeba Trio+Destoroyah, but I'm glad both Manda and Titano at least got some more play.

I think the biggest "missing" monsters are Baby Godzilla/Minilla and Gabara. Gabara is the only "main monster" that has yet to make an appearance. Sure Gabara isn't the most popular monster in the world, but it's still a "major" monster.

That brings up an awkward question I've had for ages:
Can SP designs show up at all? For example can Jet Jaguar appear with the "Spear of Angurius" and his SP design? What about Shin? I feel like the IDW comics could do some cool new things with some of the newer Non-Legendary creations and monsters.

Added in 1 minute 14 seconds:
Mr. Yellow wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:05 pm Dogora vs. Godzilla might be interesting.
Dogora thanks to it's size and abilities would always be an interesting opponent for Godzilla/Other Monsters. Not to shit on Maguma, but it'd just be another "quadrupedal basic monster". Dogora on the other hand would be unique. I recall that old Godzilla vs. Dogora KWCE thing being one of the best pieces of fanficiton on this site and I remember loving it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I still hope Maguma shows up somewhere.

And an issue of Godzilla Rivals with Gabara would've been interesting for like a Free Comic Book Day for the kids.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

IDW has a giant display at SDCC with art by Godzilla vs. MMPR artist Freddie Williams II! Looks awesome, glad to see they're making Godzilla's presence known.

https://twitter.com/Freddieart/status/1 ... 2733407235

And don't forget - a new series will be announced tomorrow! :D Very excited, don't know what to expect.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:12 pm Gezora and Kameobas at least appeared in that final issue of Godzilla: Rage Across Time. I'm sure they'll appear in the background, but I agree they probably won't be a focus. The Gargantuas got a lot of play in ROE, briefly filling the role of "monster protagonist" (other examples including Godzilla, Jet Jaguar, and briefly King Shisa). I doubt the Space Amoeba trio will ever fill that role. They're sort of random space mooks and lack the backstory/personality of any of the other monsters. Also, for what it's worth, all the other monsters are very humanoid.
Kameobas actually only appeared in ROE so far (for like, three panels I think), but you're definitely right in that they're "background kaiju". Definitely get that vibe from a handful of kaiju (at least as they've been depicted in these comics), like Ebirah, Manda, Gorosaurus, Kamacuras, etc. Some kaiju just seem to work better as "world-building" monsters rather than main stars. Honestly, I probably would've expected the Gargantuas to be in the same category based on their obscurity, so it makes me extra-glad they got the spotlight in at least one comic.
That brings up an awkward question I've had for ages:
Can SP designs show up at all? For example can Jet Jaguar appear with the "Spear of Angurius" and his SP design? What about Shin? I feel like the IDW comics could do some cool new things with some of the newer Non-Legendary creations and monsters.
Pure speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised to find that time is a factor for using new designs due to the possibility of continuations. Follow-ups to both Shin Godzilla and Singular Point are still in the realm of possibility (less so Shin, but never say never), so if for no other reason than to avoid confusion they might keep new designs off-limits.

Honestly, I don't mind since IDW can now redesign the monsters. I liked that JJ redesign from Rivals, I want to see more like that.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

GODZILLA MONSTERS & PROTECTORS ALL HAIL KING #1
IDW PUBLISHING
(W) Erik Burnham (A/CA) Dan Schoening, Andrea Bell
It's been a year and, to Cedric's dismay, there have been no more Godzilla sightings. Sure, that means no destruction, but it was also his vlog's most popular series of videos. He needs new content! His views are dropping, and he's running out of ideas. He's being called out for lying by cyberbullies Dragon, who is trying to see if Cedric really has the Godzilla chops, and Karen Higa, who has her own agenda. There's more going on beneath the surface, but will Cedric find out what before something deadlier than Godzilla rears its head?
In Shops: Oct 12, 2022
Hey, look at that. Called it!
Shenanigans wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:16 pm If Erik Burnham is involved in unveiling a new project, it may very well be a sequel to Monsters & Protectors. Personally wouldn't mind an alien-centric sequel
Perhaps not the most thrilling announcement they could've made, but I guess its something. Reactions will be fun. ;)

There's also gonna be a "Best of Mothra".

https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzilla-id ... icitations

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cool. I'm looking forward to it. I do wonder if it'll be slightly darker (not edgy) since time has passed. I'm excited to see what they do and if they add more monsters.

Alternative covers seem to reflect that:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Here's the full press release with the variants:

https://www.gamesradar.com/godzilla-ret ... this-fall/

Also announced at SDCC - Godzilla Rivals: Biollante vs. Destoroyah! By Nick Marino. No full info anywhere yet, it was revealed during a panel, though there are a few details and early artwork here:

https://twitter.com/nolapfau/status/1550624648345239553

Gotta say, this one sounds VERY exciting. Two of the biggest heavy-hitters of the franchise going head-to-head. They need to do more like this and less one-on-one battles against Godzilla.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Oh wow: this is much more exciting than a simple Godzilla Rivals Destoroyah or Biollante.

We’ve already seen Godzilla fight both monsters in the IDW comics (Cataclysm, ROE); this is super exciting. I can already imagine a barrage of Biollante’s vines fighting and attacking an army of smaller Destoroyah.

This also leads to some fun and exciting mashups and more possibilities. Where is Orga though!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Oh yay. More Monsters & Protectors garbage art and shit tier storytelling.

At least Rivals is continuing.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:04 am Oh yay. More Monsters & Protectors garbage art and poop tier storytelling.

Harsh dude. Maybe they'd improve. Who knows.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:03 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:04 am Oh yay. More Monsters & Protectors garbage art and poop tier storytelling.

Harsh dude. Maybe they'd improve. Who knows.
Considering the plot synopsis is still focusing on a kid's YouTube channel, and now how he has to cope with the tragic ordeal and life changing horror of a cyber bully in his comments, I highly doubt it.

But hey, I bet the story uses the aliens in a much more original take than we've seen. No way will they just have them control Godzilla and have him go on a rampage and the kids being the ones to uncover the truth. And no way the aliens will unleash another monster, probably Ghidorah, whom will be detailed with the simplest of diamond-shaped patterns because the artists think "catering to children" gives them an excuse to have zero talent and detailing, to fight Godzilla. No way. Surely they'll do something different.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’m going to laugh if the cyber bully is based on one of the reprobates on this forum, although I doubt it. I can just imagine some random background text reflecting some of the insanity that goes on here.

Anyways, the full press release had a bunch of key phrasing that made it seem like it’ll be darker and include more monster action. I’m not expecting a full shift, but I’m sure some of the criticisms of the first 5 issues were at the very least taken into consideration.

I realized MM has a point about the Xilliens and King Ghidorah, but it’s part of a weird loop/trend we’ve gotten recently. For years, the IDW comics were relying on their own aliens/concepts. Suddenly, we got the Xilliens at the end of Rage Across Time, and we then got them again in Monsters and Protectors. Just very recently, we had the MMPR Crossover AND rivals 3, devote themselves to the Xilliens and King Ghidorah. I like the Xilliens, but it’s bizarre the sudden exposure they’re getting, and I will sort of be disappointed if it’s that specific pairing again.
Who knows though; deadlier could mean a lot of monsters. Hedorah would fit in well IMO with the environmental theming.

I do sort of hope that the creative team pretty much ignores whatever bs goes on here (my own input included). One thing I did appreciate about the first miniseries was that it had its own voice, and unique identity, which is something that’s hard to capture in such a long running franchise.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:20 am I’m going to laugh if the cyber bully is based on one of the reprobates on this forum, although I doubt it. I can just imagine some random background text reflecting some of the insanity that goes on here.
Not even going to lie. If I see something that could relate to some of my old shenanigans, I will wear that with absolute pride and probably put it as my signature. I was disappointed enough when Zero Hour fell through and I didn't get my look alike dying in a hilarious fashion as promised.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Wait, you guys think people at IDW spend time on this board and hang around frequently enough to be familiar with some the dumbassery here AND are inspired enough by it to use it in the comics?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:55 am Wait, you guys think people at IDW spend time on this board and hang around frequently enough to be familiar with some the dumbassery here AND are inspired enough by it to use it in the comics?
Me? No.

Quote of the Year:

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

With Monsters & Protectors, I feel like more monster action can help a lot. Been a while since I've read the series, but I remember it feeling perhaps a bit "aimless" at times, for lack of a better word. Lagged along a bit. I still enjoyed it for what it was, but I remember it being a little slow. You'd think a series aimed primarily at kids would have a tighter pace to keep them interested, like ROE or the MMPR-crossover, which pulled that off much more efficiently.

It should go without saying that more monsters and more action is no substitute for a good story, but when you don't have a terribly complicated or deep story like the first series, it can be an effective way of still providing an engaging book as a whole.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:27 pm This also leads to some fun and exciting mashups and more possibilities. Where is Orga though!
Funny enough, I was recently thinking of how underutilized he's been in these comics. Most kaiju have appeared in at least a couple comic series at this point, but I think Orga's only appearance was a single issue of ROE. Hope he gets his due.

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:20 am Anyways, the full press release had a bunch of key phrasing that made it seem like it’ll be darker and include more monster action. I’m not expecting a full shift, but I’m sure some of the criticisms of the first 5 issues were at the very least taken into consideration.

I realized MM has a point about the Xilliens and King Ghidorah, but it’s part of a weird loop/trend we’ve gotten recently. For years, the IDW comics were relying on their own aliens/concepts. Suddenly, we got the Xilliens at the end of Rage Across Time, and we then got them again in Monsters and Protectors. Just very recently, we had the MMPR Crossover AND rivals 3, devote themselves to the Xilliens and King Ghidorah. I like the Xilliens, but it’s bizarre the sudden exposure they’re getting, and I will sort of be disappointed if it’s that specific pairing again.
Who knows though; deadlier could mean a lot of monsters. Hedorah would fit in well IMO with the environmental theming.

I do sort of hope that the creative team pretty much ignores whatever bs goes on here (my own input included). One thing I did appreciate about the first miniseries was that it had its own voice, and unique identity, which is something that’s hard to capture in such a long running franchise.
Well put; completely agree on all points. Especially with regards to what alien monster(s) will be appear in Monsters & Protectors. Ghidorah has become so utterly boring in most of these comics (unless its the version that Godzilla can't take on alone, like in Godzilla vs. MMPR). Even a "Godzilla & Mothra vs. Ghidorah" matchup which could happen here sounds drab, and given the apparent lack of kaiju that exist in this comic's world, I don't really see the whole "army of monsters" coming to Godzilla's aide to repel an alien invasion.

Really, really, really hoping they avoid Ghidorah, though I am kind of expecting it anyways. Literally anybody else would be preferable; Hedorah, Gigan, Monster X, the aforementioned comic-deprived Orga - or better yet, a combination of several of these. I adored the alien invasion arc from Godzilla (Ongoing), it'd be great to see another group of aliens.

Somewhat related, but I recall a thumbnail featuring Mysterians Moguera in one of the issues. Its unlikely to be anything more than an Easter egg since there were a few of those, but that would be a great character to feature without a doubt. Plus somebody mentioned the possibility of building a mech to fight Godzilla within the series, too. Probably wouldn't be much of a threat on his own, so they could throw Showa Mechagodzilla in the mix too; I'd love to see old school Moggy and Mechagodzilla against Godzilla.

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:09 pm Here's the full press release with the variants:

Also announced at SDCC - Godzilla Rivals: Biollante vs. Destoroyah! By Nick Marino. No full info anywhere yet, it was revealed during a panel, though there are a few details and early artwork here:

Gotta say, this one sounds VERY exciting. Two of the biggest heavy-hitters of the franchise going head-to-head. They need to do more like this and less one-on-one battles against Godzilla.
I honestly hope we get more of this stuff in future books. Essentially turn the title into a fun "what if?" vs book.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:44 am I'm sure Franky is out.
Yeah, and I think I know why, too.

In this case, unlike most, if not all, of the other Toho kaiju, Frankenstein wasn't portrayed by a man in a monster suit, but an actor in makeup. As a result, IDW would most likely have to get permission to use the actor's face, either from the actor himself if he's still alive or from his family and/or estate if he's dead.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

He wouldn't HAVE to look exactly like the actor.