IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by CyberZilla »

Hmm I may need to pick up this new series then. Originally wasn’t sure but the art looks good!
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh I thought the new series had three issues up. Still I rather like the setting and framing device of the vlogs. I like the cartoony style.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

I just got Unnatural Disasters. Looking great so far! I am digging the unique art feel so far.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

What is the gap of time between the Olympian and Carthaginian/Roman issues?
For Emperor and Empire!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Man, they're coming up with a lot of weird-ass covers for these new comics. On the one hand they're unique, but on the other hand I have a strong preference for the likes of Jeff Zornow and Matt Frank's work. I do hope they make a return to these comics, even if its only for some covers.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Well I like it. Very Czech Republic during Soviet control.

Also this popped up.
https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-World-M ... ks&sr=1-12

Godzilla World of Monsters
-Gangsters and Goliaths.
-Cataclysm.
-And some third one. I dunno it started with 'O.'

But yeah I'll get it.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:54 pm Well I like it. Very Czech Republic during Soviet control.

Also this popped up.
https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-World-M ... ks&sr=1-12

Godzilla World of Monsters
-Gangsters and Goliaths.
-Cataclysm.
-And some third one. I dunno it started with 'O.'

But yeah I'll get it.
Oblivion

Added in 56 seconds:
Shenanigans wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:46 pm Image

Man, they're coming up with a lot of weird-ass covers for these new comics. On the one hand they're unique, but on the other hand I have a strong preference for the likes of Jeff Zornow and Matt Frank's work. I do hope they make a return to these comics, even if its only for some covers.
When exactly does this come out this month?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I know it was Oblivion, just showing disrespect since it was weak and felt like a 12 parter in 5 parts.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Yeah Oblivion was hot garbage, alongside KOM. IDW's had a pretty strong run otherwise, I'm glad they're re-releasing some of those older series for a new audience (though Oblivion should've been left out...).
GODZILLA2877 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:06 pm
Added in 56 seconds:
Shenanigans wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:46 pm Image

When exactly does this come out this month?
Last day of the month, June 30th.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Rivals #2 has been solicited for September. Unfortunately, nothing else was announced to follow Monsters & Protectors, though I'm certainly hoping for something next month.

Godzilla Rivals: Vs. Mothra

Writer: Mary Kenney
Artist: SL Gallant
Cover A: E.J. Su
Cover B: Jeffrey Veregge

Tentative In-Store Date: September 2021
Pages: 52
Cover Price: $7.99

The Monster in the Lake!

Nature can't be contained in this brand-new issue of Godzilla Rivals!

Something is trapped in Lake Ikeda—Mothra, the ancient and beautiful guardian of nature and humanity! But when one kaiju awakens, Godzilla is sure to be close behind...

And each stand-alone issue features special wrestling poster-themed retailer incentive variants
Eh. One of the things I loved about these comics was when they gave us things the movies never did or could, like the crazy matchups or even just shining a light on the more forgotten and ignored kaiju. Godzilla vs. Mothra feels like a story that's been done once or twice or fifty times... Not saying this doesn't have potential but I do not find myself particularly hyped.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:10 pm Rivals #2 has been solicited for September. Unfortunately, nothing else was announced to follow Monsters & Protectors, though I'm certainly hoping for something next month.

Godzilla Rivals: Vs. Mothra

Writer: Mary Kenney
Artist: SL Gallant
Cover A: E.J. Su
Cover B: Jeffrey Veregge

Tentative In-Store Date: September 2021
Pages: 52
Cover Price: $7.99

The Monster in the Lake!

Nature can't be contained in this brand-new issue of Godzilla Rivals!

Something is trapped in Lake Ikeda—Mothra, the ancient and beautiful guardian of nature and humanity! But when one kaiju awakens, Godzilla is sure to be close behind...

And each stand-alone issue features special wrestling poster-themed retailer incentive variants
Eh. One of the things I loved about these comics was when they gave us things the movies never did or could, like the crazy matchups or even just shining a light on the more forgotten and ignored kaiju. Godzilla vs. Mothra feels like a story that's been done once or twice or fifty times... Not saying this doesn't have potential but I do not find myself particularly hyped.
Yeah. Hedorah is sort of an underutilized monster. He only had one big appearance in the franchise (GFW doesn't count), and even in the comics he only briefly appeared in Godzilla Ongoing and in Legends 4. The art for Rivals One makes me hyped, and using Hedorah in a specific time makes me hyped too.

I hope it isn't just Mothra, or that the Mothra chosen won't be just the Heisei one. For all we know it could still be pretty crazy. Still looking forward to all this.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

... are they really gonna use the Cybot design as Godzilla's look for the whole comic?!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Eh sure less used rivals would be great but Godzilla vs Mothra or King Ghidorah will never get old.
Oh love to see a match between Godzilla and Rodan.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Godzilla Rivals #1 is out!

Good stuff. The human story here reminded me of the early Showa films or Terror of Mechagodzilla.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

The individual threads haven't been getting much traction, so...

GODZILLA: MONSTERS & PROTECTORS #3 - First off, I just want to appreciate Biollante's redesign. It fits the art style so well, much like the Godzilla design. And she's got little feets! Oddly cute and terrifying at the same time. I also still like seeing a more uncertain, perhaps more vulnerable take on the Shobijin. I do love the ongoing debates of nature vs. science between the characters, there's something special there. Its a fun series, though a little disjointed at times. Hope Mothra shows up again, her absence is felt after her debut last issue.

GODZILLA RIVALS: VS HEDORAH - Adored it. Strong art, strong writing, strong themes. Wasn't afraid to get bleak, either. The art was top-notch, but what I like especially was that the art felt so different from what EJ Su had done for Godzilla in the past. Felt a bit more "animated", especially the characters. Definitely got a 70's vibe from them. The narration was great, a bit reminiscent of The Half-Century War with some of Ota's narration. Sometimes it can be difficult to merge a human story with giant monsters, as a great many films have proven, but it was handled excellently here - not just for the humans trying to survive in the midst of a giant kaiju battle, but also for tying an analytical view of the kaiju to the characters through themes of choice. Not to mention the use of a Showa Godzilla design did not go unnoticed. Beautifully done, I'm very impressed!

BTW, at least now I know why they chose Mothra for issue #2 - 60th anniversary. First issue was for Hedorah's 50th anniversary. Don't know how I missed that.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:42 pm The individual threads haven't been getting much traction, so...

GODZILLA: MONSTERS & PROTECTORS #3 - First off, I just want to appreciate Biollante's redesign. It fits the art style so well, much like the Godzilla design. And she's got little feets! Oddly cute and terrifying at the same time. I also still like seeing a more uncertain, perhaps more vulnerable take on the Shobijin. I do love the ongoing debates of nature vs. science between the characters, there's something special there. Its a fun series, though a little disjointed at times. Hope Mothra shows up again, her absence is felt after her debut last issue.

GODZILLA RIVALS: VS HEDORAH - Adored it. Strong art, strong writing, strong themes. Wasn't afraid to get bleak, either. The art was top-notch, but what I like especially was that the art felt so different from what EJ Su had done for Godzilla in the past. Felt a bit more "animated", especially the characters. Definitely got a 70's vibe from them. The narration was great, a bit reminiscent of The Half-Century War with some of Ota's narration. Sometimes it can be difficult to merge a human story with giant monsters, as a great many films have proven, but it was handled excellently here - not just for the humans trying to survive in the midst of a giant kaiju battle, but also for tying an analytical view of the kaiju to the characters through themes of choice. Not to mention the use of a Showa Godzilla design did not go unnoticed. Beautifully done, I'm very impressed!

BTW, at least now I know why they chose Mothra for issue #2 - 60th anniversary. First issue was for Hedorah's 50th anniversary. Don't know how I missed that.
Agreed on pretty much everything stated here. Biollante's design was a big more "upwards", and as a result, somehow Biollante was made more intimidating than it could be. I have really mixed feelings on the series thus far though. I read the review on the main site, and while it's a bit harsh I agree with a lot of points it made.

Godzilla Rivals was awesome, and I like that a story could sufficiently be told. It feels like this is the way you do Godzilla well in comics; stand alone stories. I felt very satisfied with the portrayal of Hedorah and I loved the twist. I always liked the IDW run, but sometimes with serialized comics it feels like they end on cliff hangers in order to entice readers for the next issue. I hope Godzilla Rivals 2 can keep it up.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:32 pm Agreed on pretty much everything stated here. Biollante's design was a big more "upwards", and as a result, somehow Biollante was made more intimidating than it could be. I have really mixed feelings on the series thus far though. I read the review on the main site, and while it's a bit harsh I agree with a lot of points it made.

Godzilla Rivals was awesome, and I like that a story could sufficiently be told. It feels like this is the way you do Godzilla well in comics; stand alone stories. I felt very satisfied with the portrayal of Hedorah and I loved the twist. I always liked the IDW run, but sometimes with serialized comics it feels like they end on cliff hangers in order to entice readers for the next issue. I hope Godzilla Rivals 2 can keep it up.
Yeah, I try not to be too critical of Monsters & Protectors given that its aimed at a younger audience. Not saying that excuses it from criticism by any means, but I think its fun for what it is, and some of the discussions the characters have are actually quite interesting. I do not believe its reaching the full potential of its fascinating premise, however.

Definitely agree on the cliffhanger critique, sometimes that can be a little annoying. And a high bar has indeed been set for Rivals #2, that much is clear.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:42 pm BTW, at least now I know why they chose Mothra for issue #2 - 60th anniversary. First issue was for Hedorah's 50th anniversary. Don't know how I missed that.
If we're sticking with the anniversary theme, Ghidorah (Heisei) & Baragon (GMK) issues incoming?? ;)
Formerly known as kurtzilla

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Rivals Hedorah had a surprisingly compelling narrative and the art was on point. Worth the bigger cost of the issue compared to your average comic. maybe that's my Hedorah bias talking :Hedorah: but seriously, a great read and I dug the gradual reveal in the human portion.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:42 pm Hope Mothra shows up again, her absence is felt after her debut last issue.
Aaaaaand the cutest Mothra lives! Figured as much, of course. Not sure about issue #4 but there is this preview from the final issue -

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1411069584073838594