IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by Jetty_Jags »

woohoo
He Jock it Made of Steel

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

kaijukurt wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:42 pm What's also notable is that the Godzilla on the Rivals cover is clearly a Showa Godzilla!

Looks like IDW is expanding from the Heisei & Kiryu Gojis (or more likely that Toho is allowing them to expand).
Good catch! Somehow I completely overlooked that.

While we've seen Showa Godzilla's on covers before, I think it's safe to say that this is what we will see on the inside as well given that the cover is by the interior artist. I know I shouldn't be too surprised since they're also allowing redesigns, but that will also be a very nice change of pace. Hopefully more artists are also willing to utilize the Showa Godzilla's down the line, there are a lot of great designs in there.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

https://twitter.com/ejsu28/status/1348531337796308994
Thankfully, they returned to give the opportunity to
E.J. Su. This page is an experience, nothing to do with official material.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Ryu wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:21 pm https://twitter.com/ejsu28/status/1348531337796308994
Thankfully, they returned to give the opportunity to
E.J. Su. This page is an experience, nothing to do with official material.
Downright gorgeous in its minimalism, almost manga-esque
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Excellent stills! It is also fantastic to see Showa Godzilla in comic form. I say that as someone that is very biased towards Heisei Godzilla too.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Hmm...

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Shenanigans wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:02 pm Image

Hmm...
When you run out of a budget for artists. :lol:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Has anyone tried buying the IDW "complete collection" TPBs for ROE, HGM, etc.?
I hear they've got poor binding and pages easily fall out. Any testimonies?
Formerly known as kurtzilla

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

My ROE complete collections are fine. I read through both with no problem and both are still in perfect shape.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:14 am My ROE complete collections are fine. I read through both with no problem and both are still in perfect shape.
Thanks for the insight!
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

So... Is Godzilla: Rivals like a new version of the Godzilla: Legends mini-series? Each issue focusing on a kaiju from the franchise?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:02 pm Image

Hmm...
Mothra cover is legitimately concerning. I get that IDW is in a bit of a rut, and it could still look nice to have a big blown up image on the shell, but damn. I suppose it's better than tracing.

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:31 pm So... Is Godzilla: Rivals like a new version of the Godzilla: Legends mini-series? Each issue focusing on a kaiju from the franchise?

It says one-shot, but it's called Godzilla: Rivals. I assume they will sporadically release depending on how well they do. Could be better cause they won't be forced.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I'm thinking Rivals is gonna be like one shot issues a couple of months. Like, this March we get vs Hedorah, and then we get vs BIollante or whatever in November or vs Mothra in January or so on.

RIP Evan.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Rivals was announced as a quarterly series with the first issue in June.

Also with regards to the picture-cover up there, the idea of using movie stills/screenshots for variant covers sounds like it could be a neat idea, but... these are comics. The whole point is all that badass artwork, no? Can't imagine there's any shortage of artists who are willing to supply a cover for a Godzilla comic, either. Hell, I think I'm halfway decent with a pencil, I'll gladly supply a cover if given the opportunity. :lol:

(That would be a neat contest for fans, though, right? Letting them submit their own covers?)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:31 am Rivals was announced as a quarterly series with the first issue in June.

Also with regards to the picture-cover up there, the idea of using movie stills/screenshots for variant covers sounds like it could be a neat idea, but... these are comics. The whole point is all that badass artwork, no? Can't imagine there's any shortage of artists who are willing to supply a cover for a Godzilla comic, either. Hell, I think I'm halfway decent with a pencil, I'll gladly supply a cover if given the opportunity. :lol:

(That would be a neat contest for fans, though, right? Letting them submit their own covers?)
Neat in theory, but at if there’s s fan content people should still get paid. Not just “exposure” :D
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Oh yeah, for sure. But I don't think IDW is an Instagram influencer, so that probably wouldn't be an issue. ;)

Would love to see them engage with fans some more regardless; could be a creative way to increase traction. Then again, nothing's going to do more for comics than a new movie, so they picked the right time to make a comeback (something they didn't do in 2014, IIRC - missed out on the G'14 hype).

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Well, this should come as no surprise.

Going to take a wild guess and say a pic from Godzilla vs. Biollante will be used for issue #3.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:53 am Well, this should come as no surprise.

Going to take a wild guess and say a pic from Godzilla vs. Biollante will be used for issue #3.
Again, would be cool to display, but still lazy

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Preview is up for issue #1 of Monsters & Protectors! Hits April 21st!

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/idw-publi ... protectors

I notice they got rid of the copyright icons, so I guess we won't be spoiled on who's in it ahead of time anymore. They ditched those copyright icons on everything I think.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:42 pm Preview is up for issue #1 of Monsters & Protectors! Hits April 21st!

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/idw-publi ... protectors

I notice they got rid of the copyright icons, so I guess we won't be spoiled on who's in it ahead of time anymore. They ditched those copyright icons on everything I think.
Excited. Aimed at a younger demographic, but it looks like it'll deliver with a fun narrative. I like the framing device of the series being a re-telling of how the kid saved the world, from Godzilla and others. I also dig the pace: within the first few pages we already get a rough idea of what the story will be about.