IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by cloverfan98 »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:02 pm Man, its great seeing Showa Godzilla in action like that. We really were robbed in IDW's original run, but better late than never! :D

Also, here's a preview of Monsters & Protectors #2. Looks like they're going to have some fun with the Shobijin, hehe!

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1387174424453910531

I personally loved about 60 to 70 percent of IDW's original Godzilla run but thats just me. I totally forgot about the shobijin's small height in this preview when I first saw it and thought they were actually bringing back the Giant Condor lol. It reminds me of the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy and I always liked how the twins in that trilogy were individual characters so this looks good to me.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:02 pm Man, its great seeing Showa Godzilla in action like that. We really were robbed in IDW's original run, but better late than never! :D

Also, here's a preview of Monsters & Protectors #2. Looks like they're going to have some fun with the Shobijin, hehe!

Absolutely in love with this.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

"Anguirus Club" in Times Square was a nice touch lol
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:17 pm I wonder how they'll redesign Biollante.

Added in 54 minutes 10 seconds:

Shobijin don't actually look too bad here. I like the Ookondor big bird there.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 pm

I personally loved about 60 to 70 percent of IDW's original Godzilla run but thats just me. I totally forgot about the shobijin's small height in this preview when I first saw it and thought they were actually bringing back the Giant Condor lol. It reminds me of the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy and I always liked how the twins in that trilogy were individual characters so this looks good to me.
Actually, that could be the Giant Eagle, you know.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I love it when the Shobijin are given some personality rather than their usual stoic priestess roles.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 pm I totally forgot about the shobijin's small height in this preview when I first saw it and thought they were actually bringing back the Giant Condor lol.
Judging by the first issue's cover, I think it's safe to say the Shobijin will be human-sized this time around.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:47 pm
cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 pm I totally forgot about the shobijin's small height in this preview when I first saw it and thought they were actually bringing back the Giant Condor lol.
Judging by the first issue's cover, I think it's safe to say the Shobijin will be human-sized this time around.
Oh those two women in the foreground of the first issue cover are the shobijin? Interesting! I do NOT want this series to be connected to the old IDW timeline BUT I thought the idea of Battra having a pair of "dark" shobijin was a fantastic idea that they wasted and I would love to see it done right.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:02 pm
Oh those two women in the foreground of the first issue cover are the shobijin?
Yup. Faces match, hair matches, and they even have the same butterfly hair pin as the Shobijin in that preview do.

eburnham
Ronin

Post by eburnham »

The original idea was they were going to disguise themselves as human sized with telepathy, but later on we were asked not to do that and had to make some changes.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:21 am I love it when the Shobijin are given some personality rather than their usual stoic priestess roles.
I'm quite fond of both. Though I'll admit we usually see the latter, so that former Rebirth of Mothra-style has grown more appealing because of it. It's lovely to see them having some fun!
eburnham wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:07 am
The original idea was they were going to disguise themselves as human sized with telepathy, but later on we were asked not to do that and had to make some changes.
Very interesting info, thanks for sharing! I'm always interested in behind-the-scenes tidbits, especially with regards to what is or isn't allowed.

I can kinda see why they wouldn't have allowed it since it hasn't been done before, but I also think it sounds like a really neat idea that's right up their alley; I can easily see that being an ability they would have. Makes me imagine a story where they "infiltrate humanity" to study us or something along those lines.

Excited to see what you do with them! :D

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

What the hell...

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:37 am What the hell...

eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

These covers know how to grab attention.

Certainly come a long way from having a very cool picture of Gigan being put on the cover and...he never shows up.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I absolutely love and hate this cover. I may love this cover because it's so original. What a weird mash-up of art style, Godzilla design (98 and '14) as well as overall aesthetic. It's horrible, and amazing, by all accounts.

But one big question, more important than most: what is with Godzilla eating people? Surely you all see setons devolving in his stomach?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Oh yeah, we also got the solicit for the final issue of Monsters & Protectors.

Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors #5 (of 5)
Cover A: Dan Schoening
Erik Burnham (w) • Dan Schoening (a & c)
Rise Up, Part 5! The time has come to see if the world is worthy of saving! Can our heroes—with a little help from the Shobijin—show Godzilla that mankind is capable of hope? Or will the Priestesses’ frightening vision of the future come to pass?
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Something looks... off about Godzilla's leg there. Too small.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

While certainly a weird way of doing it, I like it as an homage to all those kaiju cross-sections that are so common in this series.
He Jock it Made of Steel

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

According to Amazon, the trade for Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors will be released on February 15, 2022 for $9.99. https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Monster ... 15&sr=8-15

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I still need to read the new series but I have been buying them.
Also got Unnatural Disasters in the mail. Got one for me and one to give to my brother. These happen to be the three volumes he has yet to receive so it is perfect.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:55 pm I still need to read the new series but I have been buying them.
Also got Unnatural Disasters in the mail. Got one for me and one to give to my brother. These happen to be the three volumes he has yet to receive so it is perfect.
I just got my copy of Unnatural Disasters in the mail a few minutes ago even though I already have the original trades for Legends, In Hell, and Rage Across Time! :D