Hobby Japan Godzilla Perfection/Completion Books thread

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: "Heisei Godzilla Perfection" book coming soon (Feb 10)

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Sorry folks, I've had this book since this 18th, but no time to look at it thoroughly or post a review until now.

Overall,.this isn't a bad book, but is far more text heavy that the Heisei/Champion Matsuri Perfection once you get past page 64. There were some nice, intriguing stills here & there, but as I've brought up before, the Heisei series has been one of the most covered film series books-wise (and figure-wise), so there really wasn't much in the way of riveting "Wow! I never saw/knew that before!" stills or info to get one's blood pumping. Unless you are a diehard GvsBiollante fan (a film that, while I do indeed like it, is quickly starting to grow into one of the series' most overrated films...especially amongst Japanese Godzilla fandom which laughably ranked this as the best film of the entire Godzilla series) or an avid G book collector such as myself, then definitely give it a go...otherwise, more novice book collectors might want to take a pass or just stick with Heisei Perfection book instead.

I posted a few of the more interesting stills, such as:

A concept drawing for Deutalios:

An interesting Super X 2 concept that more closely resembles the Super X-1 in shape:

And for the fans who seem to have a thing for Megumi Odaka (personally, I never understood the fascination over her....far more attractive women throughout all eras of the series than her), there is a retrospect interview with her towards the end of the book and, not to be mean, but....um....let's just say that time hasn't been all that kind to her and just leave it at that. :freak:
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Wow it's pretty cool to see that Duetalios was actually a mix of rat and angler fish. Would definitely have been strange to see Godzilla eating that.

Zeruel
Monsterland Worker

Re: Hobby Japan Godzilla Perfection/Completion Books thread

Post by Zeruel »

I never new of this until today, but there's another book in the Completion line - "Godzilla x Mechagodzilla Completion," covering both "Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla" and "Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S."

http://hobbyjapan.co.jp/books/book/b253421.html

EDIT: Just noticed that is was briefly mentioned in this thread (http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 4&start=40), but not in the context as being the 2nd book of the Completion series.
<-- Asmodeus (Shin Megami Tensei IV) - designed by Yasushi Nirasawa - Gigan (Godzilla: Final Wars) -->

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:And for the fans who seem to have a thing for Megumi Odaka (personally, I never understood the fascination over her....far more attractive women throughout all eras of the series than her), there is a retrospect interview with her towards the end of the book and, not to be mean, but....um....let's just say that time hasn't been all that kind to her and just leave it at that.
She still looks pretty to me. :shrug:

Since the Gamera Heisei Perfection Book doesn't seem to have its own thread, I'll just share this here: HobbyLink Japan has it on sale for 2,750 yen ($23.96). If you don't have this book yet, grab it now!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Rody wrote:Since the Gamera Heisei Perfection Book doesn't seem to have its own thread, I'll just share this here: HobbyLink Japan has it on sale for 2,750 yen ($23.96). If you don't have this book yet, grab it now!
Thank you! I've been keeping an eye on that elsewhere, but was going to wait till next paycheck before ordering.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Dang that Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and SOS completion book looks amazing!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Zeruel
Monsterland Worker

Post by Zeruel »

The next volume appears to be coming out on December 9, focusing on "Godzilla vs. Destoroyah."

http://wave.ap.teacup.com/hazawagumi/2761.html
<-- Asmodeus (Shin Megami Tensei IV) - designed by Yasushi Nirasawa - Gigan (Godzilla: Final Wars) -->

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Zeruel wrote:The next volume appears to be coming out on December 9, focusing on "Godzilla vs. Destoroyah."

http://wave.ap.teacup.com/hazawagumi/2761.html
Thank you for linking! This one should be a really interesting entry.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Godzilla 1984 Perfectionis up for preorder. Being one of my two personal favorite films and my absolute favorite suit, I’m likely to order it anyway but I am curious what people think of the other perfection books. I thought I’d heard really great things about them but the review of the Biollante book a few posts up has me questioning that memory...

https://www.amazon.co.jp/ゴジラ1984-コンプリーシ ... s=Godzilla

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

canofhumdingers wrote:Godzilla 1984 Perfectionis up for preorder. Being one of my two personal favorite films and my absolute favorite suit, I’m likely to order it anyway but I am curious what people think of the other perfection books. I thought I’d heard really great things about them but the review of the Biollante book a few posts up has me questioning that memory...

The Destoroyah Perfection is fantastic. Tons of behind the scenes info, and plenty of "cutting room" content that was extremely neat to read up on. Heisei Perfection's also really good, though the sections for each of the covered Heisei movies feel like they could've been expanded further with more info/concept art. Biollante Perfection is a pretty huge book; lots of text and plenty of concept art at the start, can't really complain about the content it provides.

Really looking forward to G1984 Perfection, hoping it expands upon the creation of Bakan/Bagan and possibly all the other crazy ideas Toho cooked up between Terror of Mechagodzilla and The Return of Godzilla. There are so many of them.
/crawls back under rock

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Good to know. I assume all text is in Japanese? I started learning it about a decade ago but didn’t stick with it unfortunately.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

canofhumdingers wrote:Godzilla 1984 Perfectionis up for preorder. Being one of my two personal favorite films and my absolute favorite suit, I’m likely to order it anyway but I am curious what people think of the other perfection books. I thought I’d heard really great things about them but the review of the Biollante book a few posts up has me questioning that memory...

My copy arrived from Amazon.JP last night. Thank you, canofhumdingers for that link!
GigaBowserG wrote:Really looking forward to G1984 Perfection, hoping it expands upon the creation of Bakan/Bagan and possibly all the other crazy ideas Toho cooked up between Terror of Mechagodzilla and The Return of Godzilla. There are so many of them.
At first glance, I see nothing in the book re Bagan, "Godzilla vs The Devil" or any of the other post-Terror ideas. If it's there, it's not a sketch or picture.
Last edited by G1985 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Oh cool. I haven’t ordered one yet. How is it? Is it worth the cover price in your opinion?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

G1985 wrote:At first glance, I see nothing in the book re Bagan, "Godzilla vs The Devil" or any of the other post-Terror ideas. If it's there, it's not a sketch or picture.
It's in the back, the lovely "prot & scenario" section :) Looks like it mainly covers "KING of MONSTERS: Resurrection of Godzilla", "Resurrection of Godzilla" (with Tanaka's Bagan), and the many rewrites of what became The Return of Godzilla. Only saw that one image in a tweet, though.
/crawls back under rock

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

canofhumdingers wrote:Oh cool. I haven’t ordered one yet. How is it? Is it worth the cover price in your opinion?
Definitely worth cover price. I paid under $50 to Amazon.JP (incl shipping). There was less never-before-seen pictures and conceptual art pieces than I was hoping for. But to be fair, I own a lot of Godzilla 1984/1985 books already. Had this been my first book for this particular movie, I'd have been ecstatic.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Thanks for the info. I own the two books I’ve highlighted from your photo below. How’s the perfection book compare to them in terms of having unique material?

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

canofhumdingers wrote:Thanks for the info. I own the two books I’ve highlighted from your photo below. How’s the perfection book compare to them in terms of having unique material?

https://i.imgur.com/fAQ8heG.jpg
I'll get back to you tonight with an answer!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Just an fyi the perfection books are great but are extremely text heavy. Plenty of pics to be sure but loads of text

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I need to get the Gamera one.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Sorry, but I have a question:
The book of Godzilla Against Type-3 Kiryu (Mechagodzilla) Completion, was it worth buying? My doubt is in terms of content, behind the scenes, interviews and concept art. Is this good or a disappointment?
Last edited by Ryu on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.