Recommendations for Kaiju Literature

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Recommendations for Kaiju Literature

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I’ve read (or well, tried reading) quite a few kaiju based novels that people have recommended to me. And all of them so far have ended up completely falling flat to the point where I can only really make it half way through before not being able to be able to have any interest in it.

I’ve tried a bunch of Matthew Dennion novels, Gojiro (which was the one I was most excited for), The Meg, and the Kaiju Survivial guide. I’ve been thinking about reading Project Nemesis but I don’t wanna be let down again.

What kaiju literature would you guys recommend?
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: Recommendations for Kaiju Literature

Post by G1985 »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I’ve read (or well, tried reading) quite a few kaiju based novels that people have recommended to me. And all of them so far have ended up completely falling flat to the point where I can only really make it half way through before not being able to be able to have any interest in it.

I’ve tried a bunch of Matthew Dennion novels, Gojiro (which was the one I was most excited for), The Meg, and the Kaiju Survivial guide. I’ve been thinking about reading Project Nemesis but I don’t wanna be let down again.

I know what you mean - especially about Gojiro, which I had similar hopes for. Project Nemesis doesn't feel like a kaiju story to me, but it's not bad. Personally, the only novels that I think pull it off are the four Marc Cerasini Godzilla novels that came out more than twenty years ago, especially the first two: Godzilla Returns and Godzilla 2000.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/books/godzilla_returns.htm
https://www.tohokingdom.com/books/godzi ... 0_book.htm
Last edited by G1985 on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

MM9 is really cool -
https://www.viz.com/mm9

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

G1985 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’ve read (or well, tried reading) quite a few kaiju based novels that people have recommended to me. And all of them so far have ended up completely falling flat to the point where I can only really make it half way through before not being able to be able to have any interest in it.

I know what you mean - especially about Gojiro, which I had similar hopes for. Project Nemesis doesn't feel like a kaiju story to me, but it's not bad. Personally, the only novels that I think pull it off are the four Marc Cerasini Godzilla novels that came out more than twenty years ago, especially the first two: Godzilla Returns and Godzilla 2000.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/books/godzilla_returns.htm
https://www.tohokingdom.com/books/godzi ... 0_book.htm
Yeah, I loved that series, too!

I just wish, however, that all four of them would somehow be put back in print and that the fifth and final novel, Godzilla and the Lost Continent, be published as well to finish it off!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

The Random House Godzilla novels.

Godzilla Returns
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla at World's End
Godzilla vs. the Robot Monsters

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Does fanfiction count?

The best kaiju related literature I've encountered by far is the Kong fanfic The Giant King by Kenneth Robeson and Clint Werner's New Era series of Godzilla fanfics. Both of them are written by professional authors so the quality is certainly there.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Guy N. Smith's Crab novels
Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Came in to say Project Nemesis stuff. I dunno I think they qualify for kaiju books. I mean I felt like the author got the right amount of mystery action and horror surrounding the titular monster. Yeah they all could be polished up a little more but they have a strong sense of fun.

MM9 is kinda dry but I appreciated that it was a world very much used to kaiju with lots of nods.

It's almost easier to make NOT recommendations. I tried reading Kaiju Winter some time ago and it's quite rough. The monsters are not too interesting, I mean good premise but I think it needed a new draft. I know there are sequels but if they got a lot better then maybe I could give it a go. That said I remember an overly length dialogue between two characters that were Godzilla fans and they're like 'that's not shaped like Godzilla' for over a page.

There was one called Kaiju Epoch and yeah that was rough too. I remember a guy hits a small alien warrior with his car. He and his friend take it home and I believe when the alien wakes up and starts talking the guy's friend is like 'I got work tomorrow so I need to head to bed. Later!' And just leaves.

Hm kinda curious about this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Extinctio ... ks&sr=1-30

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

What about the novel by Ryan George Collins (a.k.a. the Omni Viewer) called Operation Red Dragon: The Daikaiju Wars Part 1?

Has anyone read this one and if so, what did you think of it? I think it can be purchased on Amazon.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

mikelcho wrote:What about the novel by Ryan George Collins (a.k.a. the Omni Viewer) called Operation Red Dragon: The Daikaiju Wars Part 1?

Has anyone read this one and if so, what did you think of it? I think it can be purchased on Amazon.
I listened to a couple reviews on it and read an excerpt for it. It seems SUPER derivative, a LOT more so than Atomic Rex. And that was the main issue for Matthews novels for me.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

If you want licensed works, the Random House novels are all pretty solid. The smaller ones are obviously meant for children, but are fun short reads. The larger ones read quite well and have some very strong continuity novel to novel.

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

True, it's just highly difficult to get a good copy for a decent price.

Just like anything niche and vintage these days.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

IMMORTAL HULK#28-33 written by Al Ewing with art by Joe Bennet, and others. When the Hulk declares war on humanity and its wasteful ways. Roxxon Corporate C.E.O. Dario Agger, a.k.a the Minotaur and his company strike back. With a mass media campaign ,and with recruiting the original Hulk, Marvel Legends build-a-figure,Xemnu the Titan. To lure the Hulk and his crew out in the open to start their new offensive. Roxxon deploys their four Bio-Assets on Pheonix, Arizona. Four kaiju code-name Harryhausen, O'Brien, Lovecraft, and Bradbury are let out of their cages, and set upon the city. And succeed in their mission to draw out the Hulk, Red Harpy, Doc Samson, Rick Jones, and Gamma Flight. However in his slaying of the Roxxon kaiju, it turns out one of the beast is infested with some nasty horse sized parasites. Which go after the bystanders. Who are rescued just in time by Xemnu. The whole story is collected in the "We Belive in Bruce Banner" and "Hulk Is Hulk !" Immortal Hulk trade paperbacks.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

Wait, how many Hulks are there?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The One and Only wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:09 pm Image
IMMORTAL HULK #28-33 written by Al Ewing with art by Joe Bennett and others. When the Hulk declares war on humanity and its wasteful ways, Roxxon Corporate C.E.O. Dario Agger, a.k.a. the Minotaur, and his company strike back with a mass media campaign and recruit the original Hulk, Marvel Legends build-a-figure, Xemnu the Titan. To lure the Hulk and his crew out in the open to start their new offensive, Roxxon deploys their four Bio-Assets on Phoenix, Arizona. Four kaiju code-named Harryhausen, O'Brien, Lovecraft, and Bradbury are let out of their cages and set upon the city. And succeed in their mission to draw out the Hulk, the Red Harpy, Doc Samson, Rick Jones, and Gamma Flight. However, in his slaying of the Roxxon kaiju, it turns out one of the beasts is infested with some nasty horse-sized parasites. Which go after the bystanders. Who are rescued just in time by Xemnu. The whole story is collected in the "We Believe in Bruce Banner" and "Hulk is Hulk!" Immortal Hulk trade paperbacks.
I think that this story directly leads into the next one where the Leader returns, beginning with issue #34 and continuing in issues #0, 35, 36 and 37. Is that correct? If it is, I'm going to have to save a few more issues at my local comic book store - namely, issues #28-31. Also, is issue #37 the end of that story, or does it go on any further than that? Please let me know.

And btw, isn't it supposed to be Xemnu the Living Titan? I remember him calling himself that in Incredible Hulk Annual #5 (one of the best Hulk stories I ever read, imho).
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

m0nster01 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:20 am Wait, how many Hulks are there?
It sorta depends on who's counting any more.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:55 pm
I think that this story directly leads into the next one where the Leader returns, beginning with issue #34 and continuing in issues #0, 35, 36 and 37. Is that correct? If it is, I'm going to have to save a few more issues at my local comic book store - namely, issues #28-31. Also, is issue #37 the end of that story, or does it go on any further than that? Please let me know.

And btw, isn't it supposed to be Xemnu the Living Titan? I remember him calling himself that in Incredible Hulk Annual #5 (one of the best Hulk stories I ever read, imho).
[/quote]

That story basically leads into the rest of the series and honestly, I wouldn’t recommend that Volume by itself. It’s very much a continuation of the previous volumes. And if you’re looking specifically for Kaiju they’re only in about 2 issues. However, on absolutely recommend The Immortal Hulk as a whole. It’s one of the best superhero and horror series in any medium in the past five years.

Also, yes. Xemnu the Living Titan/Xemnu the Living Hulk, same guy. Back and creepier than ever.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

The One and Only wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:09 pm Four kaiju code-name Harryhausen, O'Brien, Lovecraft, and Bradbury are let out of their cages, and set upon the city.
Love it.

Thanos6
Samurai

Post by Thanos6 »

Saurian, by William Schoell, from 1988.

It's gonzo and kitchen sink as all hell and I love it.

Shapeshifting aliens with psychic powers, intelligent dinosaurs, an evil corporate executive, a main character who barely escaped the monster when he was a child and ended up traumatized, an alcoholic love interest, a mentally ill scientist, and a full-on kaiju rampage in Florida.