Are comic fan mutos in the public domain?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Ryu
Samurai

Are comic fan mutos in the public domain?

Post by Ryu »

Hello people. Can you tell if these monsters are in the public domain? They are a recreation of the rumors of the teaser trailer of comi -con 2013. I would like to know if Toho and Wanner, have any control over this monster or are they fan art are free to use?
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Are comic fan mutos in the public domain?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The name MUTO alone is copyrighted and definite not public domain. I would also err on the side that if something that didn't make it into a final project, is still copyrighted as well, even if it was given a different name.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Not even the recreations of fanart? I was hoping that white muto was at least in the public domain.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

The white M.U.T.O has nothing to do with the film. I've only seen it in fan work so it's assumedly fanon, so go nuts.

Also, public domain only matters if you're making an official work like a book or movie that companies can react to. If it's a fan work, you can do whatever the hell you want.

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ryu wrote:Not even the recreations of fanart? I was hoping that white muto was at least in the public domain.
Even if it’s unofficial, it’s pretty shitty to just up and assume someone else’s art is in the public domain. Don’t steal from people, find the artist and ask permission.