The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies: The Lost Films

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies: The Lost Films

Post by mikelcho »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:I didn't know there even WAS a Mutated Edition! :lol: As I posted in the OP, I guess I have the original edition?
Correct, I believe the Mutated Edition has a different cover. Been tempted to pick it up, but not sure if it has enough new stuff to warrant it... That, and "Writing Japanese Monsters".
Yes, it does have a different cover; a mostly green one.

Btw, John LeMay's Showa, Heisei and second unmade kaiju films books have all been updated as well, if you care to look.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

mikelcho wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:I didn't know there even WAS a Mutated Edition! :lol: As I posted in the OP, I guess I have the original edition?
Correct, I believe the Mutated Edition has a different cover. Been tempted to pick it up, but not sure if it has enough new stuff to warrant it... That, and "Writing Japanese Monsters".

Btw, John LeMay's Showa, Heisei and second unmade kaiju films books have all been updated as well, if you care to look.
...LeMay is going to bankrupt me! :freak:

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Pkmatrix wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:

...LeMay is going to bankrupt me! :freak:
I know, don'tcha just love it? All this new information out there...and it's ours, all ours!

Oh well, we'll do anything for kaiju films, won't we?

But that's not all! There's five more books of his to acquire (and these books haven't even been updated...yet):

*Kong Unmade: The Lost Films of Skull Island,
*Giant Apes of the Movies,
*Dinosauruses of the Movies (and before you ask, yes, this is the way the title's spelled),
*Monster Insects of the Movies,
*Jaws Unmade: The Lost Sequels, Prequels, Remakes, and Rip-Offs.

And to really sweeten the deal, the first four of these books are made to look just like those old monster film books by our good friend Ian Thorne that we used to read in elementary and middle school! Like I said, don'tcha just love it?
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

mikelcho wrote:I know, don'tcha just love it? All this new information out there...and it's ours, all ours!

Oh well, we'll do anything for kaiju films, won't we?

But that's not all! There's five more books of his to acquire (and these books haven't even been updated...yet):

*Kong Unmade: The Lost Films of Skull Island,
*Giant Apes of the Movies,
*Dinosauruses of the Movies (and before you ask, yes, this is the way the title's spelled),
*Monster Insects of the Movies,
*Jaws Unmade: The Lost Sequels, Prequels, Remakes, and Rip-Offs.

And to really sweeten the deal, the first four of these books are made to look just like those old monster film books by our good friend Ian Thorne that we used to read in elementary and middle school! Like I said, don'tcha just love it?
Hehehe :lol:

I already have Kong Unmade, that was a pretty cool book too! Been definitely thinking hard about picking up the others, but that was before I found out there was an updated version of the Lost Films book! He also has a book on Cowboys and Dinosaurs, talking about rumors and tall tales of dinosaur-like monsters from the Old West which I've been flipping through. It's a cool book! ^_^

And honestly, I've never had the chance to read any of those old Ian Thorne books! My school and town libraries didn't have any of them when I was a kid back in the 1990s. I'm really only aware of them because I remember people mentioning them in the Letters to the Editor section of G-Fan back in the day. ^_^
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

mikelcho wrote:*Jaws Unmade: The Lost Sequels, Prequels, Remakes, and Rip-Offs.
Just picked this up. Fascinating read. Apparently for the movie Tentacles the crew built a $1 Million dollar giant animatronic octopus but it was lost in the Ocean after sinking into the deep on the first day of filming, so they had to resort to using footage of a real octopus to make up the bulk of the effects work.

You know I hope John does a killer Cephalopods book next. :angel:
Last edited by The Octopus on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

Wow. I would have hate to been in charge of that thing.

I'm hoping he'll do Frankenstein or Dracula movies next.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The Octopus wrote:
Just picked this up. Fascinating read. Apparently for the movie Tentacles the crew built a $1 Million dollar giant animatronic octopus but it was lost in the Ocean after sinking into the deep on the first day of filming, so they had to resort to using footage of a real octopus to make up the bulk of the effects work.

I'd like to know just how something that big could get lost just like that. Was it ever recovered, or is it still at the bottom of the ocean, just patiently waiting to be discovered?

Oh, btw, in case you want to know, Grizzly II: The Predator is no longer lost. It's finished and it's got a new title: Grizzly II: Revenge. It's even got its own website, which you can access from the Wikipedia article on the film if you want to check it out. Unfortunately, it's not available in stores, only on its website.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

mikelcho wrote:
The Octopus wrote:

I'd like to know just how something that big could get lost just like that. Was it ever recovered, or is it still at the bottom of the ocean, just patiently waiting to be discovered?

Oh, btw, in case you want to know, Grizzly II: The Predator is no longer lost. It's either finished or close to being finished and it's got a new title: Grizzly II: Revenge. It's even got its own website, which you can access from the Wikipedia article on Grizzly (1976) if you want to check it out.
He talks about Grizzly 2 in the book. As for the Octopus he doesn't go into details about what happened to the prop since then, only that when they unloaded it from the ship to begin filming it was unlatched and dropped into the water like a stone. I don't know if its still down there but by now it would be encrusted with coral since this was over 40 years ago. It must have been in very deep water for them not to go down and retrieve it, especially considering they supposedly spent $1 Million on the prop. I remember reading about how the shark from Jaws fell into the deep at one point but scuba divers were able to swim down and hook it up to cables with a winch to pull it back up to the surface.
Last edited by The Octopus on Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Oh, I know he talks about the Grizzly sequel, I'm just telling you it's no longer lost so that, when the inevitable updated edition of this book is released, you'll be ready for it and you now know where to get the scoop on this film.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Three more books by John LeMay!

*Cowboys & Saurians,
*Cowboys & Saurians: Ice Age,
*Southerners & Saurians.

I wonder what these three are about? Are they cryptozoological books - i.e., non-fiction books dealing with historical stories of human encounters with surviving prehistoric animals in the times of the Wild West and the Deep South that can't really be proven one way or the other?

If so, then they sound very interesting.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 11 times in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Cool news: I have an article (the basis for the cover) in John Lemay's latest issue of The Lost Films Fanzine: The Lost Films Fanzine #7.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:14 am Oh, I know he talks about the Grizzly sequel, I'm just telling you it's no longer lost so that, when the inevitable updated edition of this book is released, you'll be ready for it and you now know where to get the scoop on this film.
UPDATE: Grizzly II: Revenge also has its own Wikipedia article now, too.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

m0nster01 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:58 am Wow. I would have hated to be in charge of that thing.

I'm hoping he'll do Frankenstein or Dracula movies next.
What a coinkydink! LeMay's done just that:

*Classic Monsters Unmade: The Lost Films of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, and Other Monsters Volume 1 (1899-1955),
*Classic Monsters Unmade: The Lost Films of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, and Other Monsters Volume 2 (1956-2000),
*Classic Monsters Unmade: The Lost Films of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, and Other Monsters (1899-2000).

The third book is obviously a combination of the first two, and they're all in hardcover.

I didn't see it listed, but I wonder if Volume 2 will include information on Frankenstein - Demon of Dracula, Donald F. Glut's unmade sequel to one of my favorite monster films, Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1971) (for more information on this project, read Glut's books The Frankenstein Legend: A Tribute to Mary Shelley and Boris Karloff (1973) and its sequel, The Dracula Book (1975) (both of which are desperately in need of updating to the present day - and I mean DESPERATELY)).
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Jeez Louise, is Lemay trying to win an award for most books written in the shortest amount of time?

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:22 pm
*Classic Monsters Unmade: The Lost Films of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, and Other Monsters (1899-2000).

The third book is obviously a combination of the first two, and they're all in hardcover.
I wasn't aware he made combined version. Do you happen to have a link? Just did some Googling and only found volume 1 and volume two for Classic Monsters Unmade.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Godzilla21 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:59 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:22 pm

I wasn't aware he made a combined version. Do you happen to have a link? Just did some Googling and only found volume 1 and volume two for Classic Monsters Unmade.
Go to Amazon, that's where I found it. It's a pretty big book, size-wise.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:17 pm Jeez Louise, is LeMay trying to win an award for most books written in the shortest amount of time?
It's possible, I suppose.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Just found another one, but it's only in paperback this time:

*The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies: The Lost Cuts - Editing Japanese Monsters Volume 1: U.S. Edits (1956-2000).

I wonder what future volumes of this series will be like?
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sekizawa
Samurai

Post by Sekizawa »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:07 pm Just found another one, but it's only in paperback this time:

*The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies: The Lost Cuts - Editing Japanese Monsters Volume 1: U.S. Edits (1956-2000).

Volume 2 is international edits, was released a couple of weeks ago.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Sekizawa wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:53 am
mikelcho wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:07 pm Just found another one, but it's only in paperback this time:

Volume 2 is international edits, was released a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks!

UPDATE: Just found the title:

*The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies: The Lost Cuts - Editing Japanese Monsters Volume 2: International Edits (1956-2005).
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.