Godzilla: Monster Apocalypse Novels

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Godzilla: Monster Apocalypse Novels

Post by Omegazilla »

I haven't gotten my hands on these two novels just yet but they seem interesting. To those that have read or owned it, are they any good? I read Godzilla actually fights Mothra in one of them and that supposedly it ends
Spoiler:
in a draw.
Is this true? That was a fight I was hoping would be in the actual films but it never delivered.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla: Monster Apocalypse Novels

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Omegazilla wrote:I haven't gotten my hands on these two novels just yet but they seem interesting. To those that have read or owned it, are they any good? I read Godzilla actually fights Mothra in one of them and that supposedly it ends
Spoiler:
in a draw.
Is this true? That was a fight I was hoping would be in the actual films but it never delivered.
Yeah I think so.

The novels are written in an interesting way; more of reports about specific events and monster attacks, loosely following a few characters. A lot of people have contributed to translating portions of the novels, or at least deciphering events. I`ve tried translating parts of both novels, and actually got a pages, but a lot of it is surprsingly philosophical and hard to translate with my level of Japanese.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Has there been any news of a possible English translation? I'd love to read the two books and good as it is, Wikizilla's timeline videos are really only watering my mouth instead of the main course.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

tyrantgoji wrote:Has there been any news of a possible English translation? I'd love to read the two books and good as it is, Wikizilla's timeline videos are really only watering my mouth instead of the main course.
I feel I might as well use this time to explain what happened to me translating it. To be truthful, while I was able to translate some of the easy stuff like the maps on the exterior of the book, I had a lot of difficulty with pretty much the interior and it would take WAAAAAY to long to do. That’s why I started translating manga instead (it’s aimed at younger demographics and hence much easier).

Now my Japanese is always improving as I’m living here and studying, and it’ll probably be easier to return to it, but at the same time I think I should get better in a year or two and then try to tackle it again. If no one beats me to the punch that is.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

tyrantgoji wrote:Has there been any news of a possible English translation? I'd love to read the two books and good as it is, Wikizilla's timeline videos are really only watering my mouth instead of the main course.
Nope. I'd love to send the chapters off to a translator, but that would suck the life out of my bank account, and I wouldn't even be able to share it on the main site. Posting a lost project from 20-odd years ago is fine, but an entire book? TWO entire books? Maybe in another 10 years... :P

OT, they're really fun books. Renji Oki (the author) is able to strike a near perfect balance between fan service and original, engaging storytelling. I think I prefer the first book more, which takes on a very "World War Z" approach with its style. It tells stories in the form of interviews each chapter, with different people who reminisce on the destruction that happened. If only Oki could've tossed Bagan into the mix like he wanted, would've enjoyed seeing what he had in mind for that, but at least he was able to sneak a Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus reference in there.

The 2nd book has a more traditional approach, but I love the Gigan arc in that one. Shame he never got around to making a 3rd novel, which would've more than likely followed the misadventures of the Oratio, and their potential end at the hands of SpaceGodzilla.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

The two incidences that fascinate me are the battles with Battra and the disaster of Red Christmas.