The Godzilla Comic & The Godzilla Comic Raids Again: Gigantis the Fire Comic-possible English-language versions?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

The Godzilla Comic & The Godzilla Comic Raids Again: Gigantis the Fire Comic-possible English-language versions?

Post by mikelcho »

I've read the Wikipedia article "Godzilla (comics)" many times and saw that it mentioned two Japanese anthology comics named The Godzilla Comic (1990) and The Godzilla Comic Raids Again: Gigantis the Fire Comic (1991) that looked like they were right up my alley. My question is: do they come in only Japanese-language versions only, or are there English-language versions available in Japan for those people who live there and speak English but not Japanese? I guess English is considered the semi-official second language over there and just wondered if whoever published the two mangas would've done that to cater to those customers as well. I'm saying this because, if they do exist and since I'll probably never get to go to Japan anytime soon, I'd like to know how to get these two magazines in English-language versions for a reasonable price. Can anyone help me with this problem here?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:59 am, edited 5 times in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Godzilla Comic & The Godzilla Comic Strikes Back: Gigantes the Fire Comic-possible English-language versions?

Post by G1985 »

Gigantis The Fire Comic was published about twenty-five years ago, and I've never run across an English translation. You'd have to look at websites like Mandrake and eBay to find a copy of the Japanese original.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Godzilla Comic & The Godzilla Comic Strikes Back: Gigantes the Fire Comic-possible English-language versions?

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I wish Viz Media would release these Godzilla manga in English. It would be so cool.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

SickleFeather
Samurai

Post by SickleFeather »

Doesn't MaserPatrol have some scans of those manga?
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

MaserPatrol did full translations of a few chapters from The Godzilla Comic:
https://maserpatrol.wordpress.com/2016/ ... lla-manga/

I'm not sure if they tackled The Godzilla Comic Raids Again, but Wikizilla has a couple untranslated scans from it on its page for it: http://wikizilla.org/wiki/The_Godzilla_ ... aids_Again
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla Comic & The Godzilla Comic Raids Again: Gigantes the Fire Comic-possible English-language versions?

Post by mikelcho »

G1985 wrote:Gigantis The Fire Comic was published about twenty-five years ago, and I've never run across an English translation. You'd have to look at websites like Mandrake and eBay to find a copy of the Japanese original.
Added in 8 minutes 59 seconds:
mikelcho wrote:
G1985 wrote:Gigantis The Fire Comic was published about twenty-five years ago, and I've never run across an English translation. You'd have to look at websites like Mandrake and eBay to find a copy of the Japanese original.
I made a mistake here. Could someone please remove this post and change the title to what it is now in all the other posts that aren't mine? Thank you.

Added in 2 months 1 day 10 hours 13 minutes 55 seconds:
Re: The Godzilla Comic & The Godzilla Comic Raids Again: Gigantis the Fire Comic-possible English-language versions?
Again, could someone please delete this post and change the title from what it was before to what it is now in all the posts that aren't mine? Thanks!
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla Comic & The Godzilla Comic Raids Again: Gigantis the Fire Comic-possible English-language versions?

Post by mikelcho »

I've got one question that deals with these two mangas.

Do Japanese manga publishers release English-language versions of things like these in Japan, say for Japanese residents who speak only English and not Japanese, or for foreigners (e.g., Americans) who live in Japan and also speak only English and not Japanese?

If they do, that seems to be my best way of getting these two mangas, but if they don't, then I'm out of luck.

I'm asking this because I'm guessing here that English is possibly an official second language in Japan. Of course, I could be wrong.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

This question was already answered three years ago, bud. There's no official translations, just the scraps from MaserPatrol.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don't mean to change topics, but I think I should let it be known that I am halfway through translating one of the serialized comics, Godzilla and Gigan Resumed Earth Battle. It's really fun. Expect a post and separate thread in a few weeks that has the full 17 pages. My ultimate goal is to translate all of this. Bear in mind I'm an amateur and doing this for free, though it's something I'm adamant about.

Added in 2 minutes 3 seconds:
mikelcho wrote: Do Japanese manga publishers release English-language versions of things like these in Japan, say for Japanese residents who speak only English and not Japanese, or for foreigners (e.g., Americans) who live in Japan and also speak only English and not Japanese?

I'm asking this because I'm guessing here that English is possibly an official second language in Japan. Of course, I could be wrong.
Hah! Nah no, there's no English translations of any of this, officially.

Calling English a second language of Japan is beyond wrong. There's a lot of signs and useful things posted in english, or things posted in english (to attract tourists) but beyond that nope. Idiots who move to Japan and don't bother learning Japanese are usually the types that'll be gone in a few months, so it's pointless trying to even have a market for that, even if it's very slim.

But don't worry, as my Japanese gets better and better my translations are quickening and quickening.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I don't mean to change topics, but I think I should let it be known that I am halfway through translating one of the serialized comics, Godzilla and Gigan Resumed Earth Battle. It's really fun. Expect a post and separate thread in a few weeks that has the full 17 pages. My ultimate goal is to translate all of this. Bear in mind I'm an amateur and doing this for free, though it's something I'm adamant about.

Added in 2 minutes 3 seconds:
mikelcho wrote: Do Japanese manga publishers release English-language versions of things like these in Japan, say for Japanese residents who speak only English and not Japanese, or for foreigners (e.g., Americans) who live in Japan and also speak only English and not Japanese?

Hah! Nah no, there's no English translations of any of this, officially.

Calling English a second language of Japan is beyond wrong. There's a lot of signs and useful things posted in english, or things posted in english (to attract tourists) but beyond that nope. Idiots who move to Japan and don't bother learning Japanese are usually the types that'll be gone in a few months, so it's pointless trying to even have a market for that, even if it's very slim.

But don't worry, as my Japanese gets better and better my translations are quickening and quickening.
Okay, I figured as much and should've expected something like this anyway. Thanks for the help, though, LSD!
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Fuck yeah

I’ll post more soon!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Jet Jaguar on a motorcycle.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Also, where did the motorcycle come from and how did it get that big?

It's almost like one of the characters from B.C. seeing this happening and shouting "KAIJU GOT MOTORCYCLES!"
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah! I guess the only way to top Jet Jaguar on a motorcycle was have him pilot Kiryu in Rulers of the Earth.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

While I’m almost done translating one of the comics in the book, does anyone have any specific requests or questions about it? Anyone want me to post some panels or something?
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:While I’m almost done translating one of the comics in the book, does anyone have any specific requests or questions about it? Anyone want me to post some panels or something?
Please do! In fact, I say go for broke and go all out for both of them!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah go for it! I've wanted to see the Monster Warrior Godzilla comic.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Yeah go for it! I've wanted to see the Monster Warrior Godzilla comic.
A translation would take about two months(I’m busy with work, studying, having fun, and finishing Godzilla vs Gigan Resumed Earth Battle.

Today I’m spending the day with my girlfriend I. Shizuoka and tomorrow I have to grade tests, but I’ll see if I can post the entirety after that. Note that they’ll be photos, (I don’t have a scanner) but I’ll try to make them as high quality and clear as possible.

Also, I ordered The Godzilla Comic Raids again, and that’ll arrive in a week or two. Less info is available online about that so it should be fun.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
daveblackeye15 wrote:Yeah go for it! I've wanted to see the Monster Warrior Godzilla comic.
A translation would take about two months(I’m busy with work, studying, having fun, and finishing Godzilla vs Gigan Resumed Earth Battle.

Today I’m spending the day with my girlfriend I. Shizuoka and tomorrow I have to grade tests, but I’ll see if I can post the entirety after that. Note that they’ll be photos, (I don’t have a scanner) but I’ll try to make them as high quality and clear as possible.

Also, I ordered The Godzilla Comic Raids again, and that’ll arrive in a week or two. Less info is available online about that so it should be fun.
Oh wait I thought Monster King was the Barbarian/warrior Godzilla? Sorry, yeah do whatever you want and have a life. I say out of all the Godzilla mangas its the Godzilla with a jet pack and sword I've wanted to see.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Oh wait I thought Monster King was the Barbarian/warrior Godzilla? Sorry, yeah do whatever you want and have a life. I say out of all the Godzilla mangas its the Godzilla with a jet pack and sword I've wanted to see.
That’s probably next on the list!

Added in 6 days 9 hours 41 minutes 38 seconds:
Poseidon, another story from the anthology is almost done!
I'm 95% done with the translation and just need to put it all together. Expect it to be posted within the next week!

Added in 1 month 8 days 15 hours 15 minutes 6 seconds:
Finished another translation of one of the comics in "The Godzilla Comic". This one is shorter, and I don't think there's as much to talk about so I'll post it here:
Spoiler:
If it's easier to read, here's a link to my tumblr post on it:
https://lsdjellyfishu.tumblr.com/

Added in 8 days 5 hours 29 minutes 19 seconds:
Update, I realized there's applications on my iphone I can use as a *ahem* scanner. I also just purchased a new laptop. This means that in the future, I may be able to provide certain things online that haven't been posted.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

With manga being a huge established thing here in the states and with Godzilla seemingly more popular than ever you think that official English releases of Godzilla manga would be... something that would exist!

And yes, I know Dark Horse did one back in the day.