Should IDW do Gamera and Ultraman?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Should IDW do Gamera and Ultraman?

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

So a thought came to me and its probably unlikely or at least Ultraman is more likely then Gamera since he's more popular in comparison in the west outside the kaiju fandom but from hearing how IDW's license towards Godzilla might be coming to an end. Would you guys be up for them picking up the license for doing Gamera and Ultraman?

What are your thoughts about the idea?

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Re: Should IDW do Gamera and Ultraman?

Post by g2vd »

That would be pretty cool to see.
Godzilla

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

If IDW has Ultraman, and doesn't turn the two lesbian girls from Rulers of Earth into Ultraman, I'm going to be very disappointed.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Why NOT? That would be freaking awesome!!!!!!
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I'd love to see what they could do with Gamera. With a much smaller library of monsters, I'd *hope* to see some engaging human characters not unlike the Heisei movies, while reinventing some of Gamera's old foes.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I would love both, but it's very unlikely.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Dude, that would be the coolest thing! I'd love for either to happen!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

It wouldn't be worth it for them. Godzilla comics sold just ok and considering both Gamera and Ultraman aren't nearly as well known as Godzilla is it just doesn't make sense for IDW to bother with them.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Gamers would be cool, a lot of ways you could go with him
I'd like to see the human link concept used in place of the friend of children thing though :lol:
That thing from the Gamera anniversary trailer def needs to show up
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

That would be awesome, a Gamera comic book could bring up some interesting concepts and plots, and there are just tons of stories they could do for Ultraman.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yes, IDW should do both. Ultra man would work well because unlike Godzilla it's very easy to set up the human side of things with things like the SSP and the fact that Ultraman always has a human host. Ultraman also has so many Kaiju and aliens to pick from, there's real potential. Staples like Baltan and Gomora could appear, but then it would be super easy to just make new original monsters or antagonists. Also, unlike Godzilla, Ultraman is was more episodic, and an entire issue could be devoted to one monster or alien, with an overarching greater threat, similar to the latter half of Ultraman Leo, or Mebius, or X or Orb. Ultraman screams to be developed into a series, not so much about Gamera though.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I absolutely love the idea, should've happened 100%! I say should've because, well, doesn't sound like IDW is gonna be around much longer..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

kaijufanforever
G-Force Personnel

Post by kaijufanforever »

Gigantis wrote:I absolutely love the idea, should've happened 100%! I say should've because, well, doesn't sound like IDW is gonna be around much longer..

what do you mean? this is new to me

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

kaijufanforever wrote:
Gigantis wrote:I absolutely love the idea, should've happened 100%! I say should've because, well, doesn't sound like IDW is gonna be around much longer..

Last i checked they're in huge debt and i the pandemic had put them in even more trouble. Needless to say if they don't turn this around soon they could be up for bankruptcy, or at least being bought out.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Gigantis wrote:
kaijufanforever wrote:

Last i checked they're in huge debt and i the pandemic had put them in even more trouble. Needless to say if they don't turn this around soon they could be up for bankruptcy, or at least being bought out.
You know something, that is exactly what the guys at my local comic book store told me when they opened up again. Dark Horse Comics is apparently in the same boat.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote: Dark Horse Comics is apparently in the same boat.
Actually, hold on, i think i actually might've gotten the companies confused.. :oops:

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Gigantis wrote:
mikelcho wrote: Dark Horse Comics is apparently in the same boat.
Actually, hold on, i think i actually might've gotten the companies confused.. :oops:
No, that's what I heard. There's a third company in the same situation; I think it's Boom!, but I'm not sure. I was trying to find my post where I first reported this when I saw your post.

I also found out from the guys that the virus almost single-handedly destroyed the comic book industry entirely.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Either sound great, and I'd especially like to see some of the later IDW comic writers and artists for Godzilla come back for a take on Gamera.

Added in :
Either sound great, and I'd especially like to see some of the later IDW comic writers and artists for Godzilla come back for a take on Gamera.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Since there's a lot of new tokusatsu interest and influences in comics, do you think there's a chance that someone does another ongoing Gamera comic?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Marvel currently has Ultraman. I think we could all settle if IDW got Gamera alone.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.