What Toho Books, Posters, Misc did you just buy?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Re: What Toho Books, Posters, Misc did you just buy?

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

It arrived a couple weeks early!

Omg it's the script! /fangirling
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I got the following in the mail yesterday:

Big Book of Japanese Giant Monsters (1954 - 1983)
Big Book of Japanese Giant Monsters (1984 - 2017)
Kong Unmade: The Lost Films of Skull Island

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

H-Man wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:43 am I got the following in the mail yesterday:

That is great! Are you also going to buy The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monsters: The Lost Films - Mutated Edition and Terror of the Lost Tokusatsu Films to go with them? And did you buy the original editions or the revised and expanded editions of the other two?

Plus, now that you've got Kong Unmade: The Lost Films of Skull Island, there's a plethora of other books in that series now:

*Giant Apes of the Movies,
*Dinosauruses of the Movies (yes, that is the way it's spelled),
*Monster Insects of the Movies,
*Jaws Unmade: The Lost Sequels, Prequels, Remakes, and Rip-Offs,
*Classic Monsters Unmade: The Lost Films of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy and Other Monsters Volume 1 (1899-1955),
*Classic Monsters Unmade: The Lost Films of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy and Other Monsters Volume 2 (1956-2000).

Better start saving!

Oh, one other thing: is the Kong book in hardcover or paperbacK? Just asking.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:03 am, edited 6 times in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:12 pm
H-Man wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:43 am I got the following in the mail yesterday:

That is great! Are you also going to buy The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monsters: The Lost Films - Mutated Edition and Terror of the Lost Tokusatsu Films to go with them? And did you buy the original editions or the revised and expanded editions of the other two?

Plus, now that you've got Kong Unmade: The Lost Films of Skull Island, there's a plethora of other books in that series now:

*Classic Monsters Unmade: The Lost Films of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy and Other Monsters (1899-1955),
*Classic Monsters Unmade: The Lost Films of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy and Other Monsters (1956-2000).

Better start saving!

I already own The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monsters: The Lost Films - Mutated Edition and Terror of the Lost Tokusatsu Films.

The Kong book was paperback.

I got the original versions.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

H-Man wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:07 am
mikelcho wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:12 pm

*Classic Monsters Unmade: The Lost Films of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy and Other Monsters Volume 1 (1899-1955),
*Classic Monsters Unmade: The Lost Films of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy and Other Monsters Volume 2 (1956-2000).

Better start saving!

I already own The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monsters: The Lost Films - Mutated Edition and Terror of the Lost Tokusatsu Films.

The Kong book was paperback.

I got the original versions.
Okay, thanks! Do you think you'll get the revised and expended editions one day, just to upgrade?

Oh, I almost forgot: there's two other books that come after Terror:

*Writing Japanese Monsters,
*The Lost Cuts: Editing Japanese Monsters Volume 1: U.S. Edits (1956-2000).
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Not a Toho film, but I picked up a 1-sheet poster for Sea Fighters, a Nikkatsu film released in the States by AITV. It seems American International had planned a theatrical release but I can't find any evidence that it was ever shown in stateside theaters (not too surprising: there were a few other AIP films that met this fate). Unfortunately, this is also the only one of 24 live action Japanese films released by AIP/AITV which is presently unavailable in any form, bummer. It's also the only such film released by AIP/AITV that's not a sci-fi/horror/fantasy film, which makes it all the more unique.

This is the best picture I could take on short notice.

Resized Image
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Not sure if I should make a separate Gamera Manga thread in the Gamera Media later, but I just got a copy of GAMERA 2006 HARD LINK. Flipping through it it's really strange. It seems to mostly be a midquel inserted to explain some events in Gamera The Brave. Interesting, but not necessarily needed, elongation of the Gamera vs. Gyaos fight that we see the end of in Gamera the Brave as well.

I also just bought a Gamera vs. Barugon adaptation, and.a strange manga (?) called The Road of Godzilla. The Road of Godzilla seems to be manga, and has an illustration of Godzilla on the front and an Interpol agent on the back. I'll see what it is in a bit. Edit, appears to be a manga by Hurricane Ryu. Now I'm curious if this is something that's flown under the radar.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Just got these for Xmas:

They're manga adaptations of Godzilla vs. Biollante and Godzilla vs. MG2. I flipped through them, and in comparison to some of the other manga adaptations they're a lot more normal/faithful. The Biollante adaptation features the original ending however, and the MG adaptation includes a mid-manga confrontation between all three big monsters before the climactic battle.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:56 pm Just got these for Xmas:

They're manga adaptations of Godzilla vs. Biollante and Godzilla vs. MG2. I flipped through them, and in comparison to some of the other manga adaptations they're a lot more normal/faithful. The Biollante adaptation features the original ending however, and the MG adaptation includes a mid-manga confrontation between all three big monsters before the climactic battle.
That's awesome!
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Got the Yuji Kaida book and History of Formative Arts for Christmas!

Formative Arts was delayed to after Christmas but the package showed up on Christmas Eve!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Got a poster for the very first Godzilla (and King Kong) movie I ever watched.

It’s not huge, but it’ll do. 11x17 I believe, something around that size. Small posters are fun. Gonna get a frame for it soon.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

I got myself Formative Arts, my brother got me the Yuji Kaida book, and my mom got me all of the Legendary Godzilla comics.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Man, I forgot all about the Formative Arts book. I’ll have to get that soon.

Like many, I also received the Yuji Kaida art book. It’s really nice!
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Godzilla All Kaiju Big Picture Book 2021

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

By surprise, I came across this book. It was released in July 2021.

It's very interesting, and organizes everything into eras, and also includes minor monsters, and separate pages for different Godzilla suits. What's interesting to me the most is the inclusion of "minor monsters" and
Spoiler:
Cover^^

"Griffin", not "Black Moth!

Minilla is called Minilla in the Showa section:
But, the Final Wars Section calls him "Minya":

Minor Monsters. Note the "Giant Sea Louse" for "Shokirasu".

Megagurius has "two forms", including, "Giant Meganulon":

Desghidorah is "Death Ghidorah":

There's a section devoted to "Aliens, Monster People, and Monsters (not human being Hyoe). It includes Invisible Man, Matango, the Teligian and a plethora of other creatures.

Giant Octopus gets his recognition!:
There's a lot of contradictions to other guide books and whatnot, but in some ways this is more thorough than a lot of other guidebooks out there. Despite being an "all-kaiju" book, it only includes some promotional stuff about Godzilla SP, and doesn't really include stuff about Godzilla vs Kong such as monsters like "Warbat". It does also have a big section on all the mechs. If you have any specific questions about the book, or specific monsters, please feel free to ask.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla All Kaiju Big Picture Book 2021

Post by Legion1979 »

Most Japanese Godzilla books are extremely similar to this one...

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:55 am Most Japanese Godzilla books are extremely similar to this one...
Yeah, but it's always interesting to see little updates or how things differ from volume to volume!

If nothing interesting comes about this, or anyone doesn't have any specific questions, I'll just merge it with another thread,
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I don't think Japanese products are beholded to the exact English translations the way American products are.

When you think about it, why WOULD a Japanese book use a ridiculous name like "Desghidorah" when "Death Ghidorah" is a PROPER English translation.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:58 am I don't think Japanese products are beholded to the exact English translations the way American products are.

When you think about it, why WOULD a Japanese book use a ridiculous name like "Desghidorah" when "Death Ghidorah" is a PROPER English translation.
I totally agree, I just think some of the name choices and what not are interesting. Mothra Leo in the book is called “Mothra Excelled” and The aforementioned “Giant Sea Louse” versus “Shockirus”.

It’s also cool that Half-Human is in there and the encyclopedic way it organizes the different incarnations of the monsters.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Haven't gone through the entire book yet, but caught the fact that History of Formative Arts uses 'Minya.'

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Angilasman wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:50 pm Haven't gone through the entire book yet, but caught the fact that History of Formative Arts uses 'Minya.'
For the GFW incarnation or just the Showa?