What Toho Books, Posters, Misc did you just buy?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
The Octopus
G-Grasper

Re: What Toho Books, Posters, Misc did you just buy?

Post by The Octopus »

^Damn straight. 3 movies and 2 TV appearances. (Fight Mighty Jack and Ultra Q)

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Scored an original Finnish WOTG poster yesterday! :D

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Not really sure if this is the right place to post but I just got this Jet Jaguar T-shirt, and I'm pretty stoked!

link: https://mondoshop.com/collections/all?_ ... ition=true
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Not really sure if this is the right place to post but I just got this Jet Jaguar T-shirt, and I'm pretty stoked!

link: https://mondoshop.com/collections/all?_ ... ition=true
Awesome, nice shirt!

I just bought Godzilla 1990. Really strange manga that I think similar to some other ones doesn't get much talk on the English fan sites. Look forward to seeing some of it when it arrived!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Well the shirt came in today and overall I really like it. The only downside is I didn't realize the profile would be on the back not the front, which is odd because I think this is opposite of the Hedorah Shirt they released by the same artist (StrongStuff aka Tom Whalen). I've tried wearing it backwards, and it almost works, but is less comfortable, so I'll probably wear it normally. Anyways here are some pics of your's truly (I apologise for the grody bathroom selfies but this is the best I got atm).
Resized Image
Resized Image
Wearing it backwards
Resized Image
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

My brother was in Cali and picked this up for me as a gift. The text is light (only one page of text!), but the high quality of the reproduced photos and the fact that a good majority of them are exclusive to this book make it a more than worthy addition. Would like to get a few more of these based on my own favorite monsters in the series.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Well the shirt came in today and overall I really like it. The only downside is I didn't realize the profile would be on the back not the front, which is odd because I think this is opposite of the Hedorah Shirt they released by the same artist (StrongStuff aka Tom Whalen). I've tried wearing it backwards, and it almost works, but is less comfortable, so I'll probably wear it normally. Anyways here are some pics of your's truly (I apologise for the grody bathroom selfies but this is the best I got atm).
Resized Image
Resized Image
Wearing it backwards
Resized Image
I meant to comment on this earlier, but that's a really nice shirt.

Anyways, I ordered a bunch more obscure manga, this time just adaptations of the movies that we have seen images of in passing. Should be interesting.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Just bought some weird obscure manga I haven't seen. It might be a thing of fan manga produced by Toho. We shall see!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I think I have an addiction

He Jock it Made of Steel

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I got the Scholastic Godzilla 1998 novelization for Christmas.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Noble Saber wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:46 pm My brother was in Cali and picked this up for me as a gift. The text is light (only one page of text!), but the high quality of the reproduced photos and the fact that a good majority of them are exclusive to this book make it a more than worthy addition. Would like to get a few more of these based on my own favorite monsters in the series.

Only one page of text? I understood that these books were mostly photos but I was under the impression that they went into some (if rather light) detail about the making of the suits/props used for the monsters they covered.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I also got a copy of Attack of the Baby Godzillas from the '98 film for 5 BRL (or a dollar).

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:33 am

Only one page of text? I understood that these books were mostly photos but I was under the impression that they went into some (if rather light) detail about the making of the suits/props used for the monsters they covered.
Indeed. In fact, the text is so short I can quite easily type it in this post. Why they didn't caption any of the pages, the world may never know. But here it is.
The original design of "GODZILLA" was produced by Wasuke Abe, a cartoonist. Using Abe's work as a reference, Akira Watanabe, the art director of special technology team, and Teizo Toshimitsu, who was in charge of art modeling, decided the design after vigorous exchange of views and opinions. They developed the clay model of Plan A of the first GODZILLA, whose picture is shown on the left page, with it's scale like mold. The picture above shows Plan B with its wart-like projections, and the two pictures on the right on Plan C. Monster Suit of GODZILLA was produced using plan C as its maquette. Guignol (hand puppets) on pages 28 and 29 were produced using the maquette as their mold.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Noble Saber wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:30 pm

Indeed. In fact, the text is so short I can quite easily type it in this post. Why they didn't caption any of the pages, the world may never know. But here it is.
The original design of "GODZILLA" was produced by Wasuke Abe, a cartoonist. Using Abe's work as a reference, Akira Watanabe, the art director of special technology team, and Teizo Toshimitsu, who was in charge of art modeling, decided the design after vigorous exchange of views and opinions. They developed the clay model of Plan A of the first GODZILLA, whose picture is shown on the left page, with it's scale like mold. The picture above shows Plan B with its wart-like projections, and the two pictures on the right on Plan C. Monster Suit of GODZILLA was produced using plan C as its maquette. Guignol (hand puppets) on pages 28 and 29 were produced using the maquette as their mold.
wow... just wow...
That is incredibly underwhelming.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Don't see why, they're meant to be books full of mostly unreleased photographs. Not much text is a good thing with these types of books, especially when they're being sold overseas.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I have a few of these books that I bought off eBay. They are really great and the pictures are top notch. Not sure why the complaints about text. Not really what they were meant for.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:09 am
Noble Saber wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:30 pm

wow... just wow...
That is incredibly underwhelming.
In the books it states "Large pictures of the character make it possible to enjoy the texture, subtlety of the design and the design details of the character. In the meantime, as there have been a lot of books written on the description of each work, such description in this book is limited to a minimum amount".

I've seen a lot of the pictures in the books before but always in smaller photos in the books. It's nice to see them blown up to a way bigger size.
Last edited by Chris55 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Both of the Complete volumes of Rulers of Earth. I'd read the first eight issues years ago, but then the third volume went OOP and got too expensive before I could get it, so this is my first time reading most of the series. I figured I'd just restart from the beginning, and I'm glad I did; just got done with the first two issues, and I forgot how vibrant and colorful some of Matt Frank's art was. He did a really great job making the monsters expressive, too. I love the vicious personality he gave Zilla, it suits him well. Can't wait to get to the issues I haven't read yet...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio