What Toho Books, Posters, Misc did you just buy?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Ryu
Samurai

Re: What Toho Books, Posters, Misc did you just buy?

Post by Ryu »

Hello friends. I have a dilemma. The book Hobby Japan Godzilla Perfection / Completion, Kiryu saga. It's in the Amazon at 86 euros. The book is really worth it, buy it? GigaBowserG, has already answered in what terms of concept art the book is only four pages. But my question is whether the book's images are movie screnshotes, or manking of, or is it just text?
Because my dilemma, is the price again. And I'm almost certain that kaji that is written is not friendly to beginners of Japanese.
So I'd like to know your opinion of the book.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ryu wrote:Hello friends. I have a dilemma. The book Hobby Japan Godzilla Perfection / Completion, Kiryu saga. It's in the Amazon at 86 euros. The book is really worth it, buy it? GigaBowserG, has already answered in what terms of concept art the book is only four pages. But my question is whether the book's images are movie screnshotes, or manking of, or is it just text?
Because my dilemma, is the price again. And I'm almost certain that kaji that is written is not friendly to beginners of Japanese.
Can you give me a link to the HLJ page, or the specific book itself?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Ryu wrote:Hello friends. I have a dilemma. The book Hobby Japan Godzilla Perfection / Completion, Kiryu saga. It's in the Amazon at 86 euros. The book is really worth it, buy it? GigaBowserG, has already answered in what terms of concept art the book is only four pages. But my question is whether the book's images are movie screnshotes, or manking of, or is it just text?
The link:
https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Machine ... BQ4ZY92M8B
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ryu wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
The link:
https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Machine ... BQ4ZY92M8B
https://www.amazon.co.jp/ゴジラ×3式機龍-メカゴジラ ... 4798613533

https://www.amazon.co.jp/ゴジラ×3式機龍-メカゴジラ ... 4798613533

I just wanted to let you know that it retails in japan for about 4200¥, under/about 40USD. I understand shipping costs, and running a business and yadda yadda, just think you should be aware of that before dropping 90USD.

Edit: for some reason the link doesn’t paste right to ark. Just copy it and put it in your URL and ta fine.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Just finished Age of the Gods by Guy Tucker. Interesting book. It's definitely a book written for existing fans and not newcomers. He covers the series from 54-96 but the focus is really on 54-65 and thats where the book shines (as does the series). Its a 249 page book and he doesn't even get to G84 until page 236. That should tell how quickly he flies through the Heisei series. Mothra/MG/SpaceG/Destoroyah barely get a few sentences each. He spends more time on Biollante but he isn't a fan, even going as far to say that KG in Godzilla vs Gigan is a more "efficient" villain. And he's not too kind about Kawakita either.

While the first half of the book is great it kind of loses focus in the second half. Spelling errors start to pop up, be goes on a few tangents, and he makes some mistakes on dates. He acknowledges Honda died in Feb of 93 but on the very next page tells a story of Satsuma being drunk at a party with Honda in Nov of 93? A simple mistake but strange he didn't catch that. He also barely does any plot summaries and goes straight into behind the scenes info. I appreciated this but it might be confusing to a newer fan. And he leaves out key details of several films. He talks about Joseph Cotten, Linda Haynes, and Richard Jaeckel in Latitude Zero but NO mention of Cesar Romero. There are other examples but that one stood out.

Overall really enjoyed the first half of the book. The second half is still solid if not a little meandering. As everyone knows its super rare but if you can get it I recommend it!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I got a pair of foldable Japanese posters for Godzilla: KOTM for $1 at the flea market this Sunday.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Godzilla 1985 poster. Decided to go with a reproduction as all the original have all too noticeable creases from being folded. It is an officially licensed reproduction so that's cool.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Ive actually had this book for a few years now, its full of concept art from the heisei and millennium era, worth a look, much better than the monsterverse art books Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Bought two different Godzilla KOTM posters, both the theatrical and imax versions. Also bought the film programs for Jaws 2 and The Return of Godzilla, as well as a Shin Gojira chirashi poster.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Meant to post this sooner.

In October, I got the DVD version of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. I was so happy to finally get my hands on it.
:D :D :D :D :D
:godzilla: :mechagodzilla:

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

GigaBowserG wrote:Image

Very awesome book. Sated my desire for high-quality illustrations, literally every page has some form of artwork on it (even the inside cover has little Skeleturtles). About the first half consists of Shinji Nishikawa's concept art during the Heisei-to-Millennium eras, with all or nearly all pieces of art having some kind of description or comment, which I love. The size of the art differs, some concepts taking up a full page, while other pages may hold up to a dozen. The last half of the book consists of full illustrations, whether his personal projects or commissions he's done for people.
If a book containing lots of art with minimal text is more your style, I'd highly recommend this.
Been kicking the tires on this book, and I think I might go through with it. I recently picked up the movie programs to Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Mothra, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2, Godzilla Millennium (2000), GMK, a Takashi Minamimura art book, and a Yuji Kaida "How to Draw Godzilla" book.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I realized amazon japan gives me easy access to just order all these old godzilla mangas with a click of a button. Including all those random ones you see out of context captions of...

They're arriving next week, I'll keep everyone updated.

Added in 4 days 2 hours 36 minutes 17 seconds:
Just purchased the second volume of the Kodonsha Godzilla manga. I feel bad, because after buying the first one, two days other the price skyrocketed from like 800¥, to 23000¥. Yeesh price gouging is insane.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Just picked up the book "Collecting Japanese Movie Monsters" from my local comic book shop. Additionally ordered the Kodansha DVD Collector's Box for Gojira and Godzilla x Megaguirus. Still trying to figure out how to best explain to my gf that I needed yet another 1954 DVD.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I just ordered some rare Godzilla Mangas which are anthologies of Godzilla fighting Mothra and King Ghidorah. I honestly have no clue what's inside them, but they were cheap, and they're old so whatever it is should be interesting.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I don't know the name, but I bought this from Japantown in São Paulo last week. It looks to be a guide to different monsters from Toho studios.

Last edited by H-Man on Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

While I missed out on the Variant of the Godzilla vs Megalon Poster I wanted
Resized Image
(sold out in under 5 minutes), I got the other version
Resized Image
and figured why not get another poster to accompany it?
Resized Image
Plus, the color scheme matches which I think will be really cool, and I paid for both roughly what the after market is asking for the blue variant anyways, so I consider this a win!

edited to reduce image size
edit # 2 The artist for the Jet Jaguar Poster is Tom Whalen, they officially sold on https://mondoshop.com/collections/posters, and his official website is http://www.strongstuff.net/. The shin godzilla poster was made by ArtCubeShop on etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtCubeShop?r ... =539428848
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

Grabbed an original Rodan US title lobby card for $35 +shipping and an original US linen backed Gigantis the Fire Monster 1 sheet for $75 + shipping on ebay. Both in nice shape. Pretty good finds imo. Lobby card comes framed too. Poster is not though but linen backing alone is worth the $75 minimally.
Last edited by Godzilla Vinyl Mania on Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:Grabbed an original Rodan US title lobby card for $35 +shipping and an original US linen backed Gigantis the Fire Monster 1 sheet for $75 + shipping on ebay. Both in nice shape. Pretty good finds imo. Lobby card comes framed too. Poster is not though but linen backing alone is worth the $75 minimally.
Whoa! Those look fantastic!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Just got my posters framed. And the one on the right is actually an officially licensed poster which is cool to find out.

Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel