Marvel Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Re: Marvel Godzilla

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Anyone know if Toho owns the rights to the monsters Marvel created during their run?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:03 pm Anyone know if Toho owns the rights to the monsters Marvel created during their run?
That would be a no, much like any other original monster used in Godzilla stories not made by Toho. The only exception that I think I know if is the Trilopods from IDW's Rulers of Earth, but for things like the MUTOs, KOTM's and Dark Horse's kaiju, they're owned by their respective companies.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:09 pm
Mr. Yellow wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:03 pm Anyone know if Toho owns the rights to the monsters Marvel created during their run?
That would be a no, much like any other original monster used in Godzilla stories not made by Toho. The only exception that I think I know if is the Trilopods from IDW's Rulers of Earth, but for things like the MUTOs, KOTM's and Dark Horse's kaiju, they're owned by their respective companies.
I thought Toho insisted that they automatically owned, at least partial rights to, any creatures created new associated with Godzilla. Surprised MUTO's and all creatures not named Kong aren't owned. Does Toho also not own any rights to creatures created for the Godzilla cartoons (Godzooky)?

I guess this means that these characters could show up in other Marvel features. I really want a Doctor Demonicus Marvel Legend.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:30 pmI thought Toho insisted that they automatically owned, at least partial rights to, any creatures created new associated with Godzilla.
The answer to this probably is "depends", as I'm sure most of the agreements with these companies have different terms involved. Like I believe that Toho owns the original monsters from Godzilla Unleashed, as I thought in one interview either someone from Atari or Pipeworks "hoped they might appear in a future film".

As for others, unless a specific comment was made we probably won't know.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

Yes I heard about this. For those who have had the pleasure of reading them what do you all think?

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I doubt it. Red Ronin and Yetrigar have appeared in other Marvel books in the 80s.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I knew Red Ronin appeared again, but not Yetrigar.
Last edited by Mr. Yellow on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:30 am I knew Red Ronin appeared again, but not Yetrigar.
I got an Avengers Spotlight issue featuring Iron Man dealing with a breakout in the Vault, circa Acts of Vengeance I think, so probably 89-90-91 or so, and Yetrigar shows up for a hot second in lockup. That's the most recent appearance I'm aware of.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:55 pm
Mr. Yellow wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:30 am I knew Red Ronin appeared again, but not Yetrigar.
I got an Avengers Spotlight issue featuring Iron Man dealing with a breakout in the Vault, circa Acts of Vengeance I think, so probably 89-90-91 or so, and Yetrigar shows up for a hot second in lockup. That's the most recent appearance I'm aware of.
The kick off to Acts of Vengeance, issue twenty six of Avengers Spotlight. You see Yetrigar's face as he's clawing his way through a wall before Iron Man and Hawkeye almost flew into him. According to MARVEL MONSTERS:From The Files of Ulysses Bloodstone & The Monster Hunters, in the Red Ronin entry. The beast was transferred to Monster Island. Where the Mole Man runs things. Much to the chagrin of Elsa Bloodstone. In which she complains it's just giving the Mole Man another monster to add to his stable of kaiju to assault the surface world.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

The One and Only wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:37 pm The kick off to Acts of Vengeance, issue twenty six of Avengers Spotlight. You see Yetrigar's face as he's clawing his way through a wall before Iron Man and Hawkeye almost flew into him. According to MARVEL MONSTERS:From The Files of Ulysses Bloodstone & The Monster Hunters, in the Red Ronin entry. The beast was transferred to Monster Island. Where the Mole Man runs things. Much to the chagrin of Elsa Bloodstone. In which she complains it's just giving the Mole Man another monster to add to his stable of kaiju to assault the surface world.
Yeah! Cool to know Mole Man is taking care of him these days.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

The One and Only wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:37 pm The beast was transferred to Monster Island. Where the Mole Man runs things.
Isn't that where all those silver age giant monsters live now?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Wait...Marvel has a Monster Island? I can't believe how uneducated on this I am...

Need to get my spreadsheet together for Marvel Monster reads....any recommendations?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Mr. Yellow wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:00 am Wait...Marvel has a Monster Island? I can't believe how uneducated on this I am...

Need to get my spreadsheet together for Marvel Monster reads....any recommendations?
Those stories The One and Only mentioned are good starts. I also can't recommend the FF story in 347-349 highly enough, very fun story with a cool role for the monsters on Monster Island.

The One and Only
Futurian

The 2017 mini crossover event, MONSTERS UNLEASHED ! featured an all out monster invasion of the Earth by the Leviathon Tide. Just when Marvel's heroes look like things are over for them, the classic Marvel Monsters(Fin Fang Foom, Googam:Son of Goom, Goom, Zzutak, Vandoom's Monster, and whole lot of others) show and join the battle. The series introduces Kid Kaiju, and his own band of monsters Hi-Vo, Fireclaw, Mekera, Aegis, Scragg, and Slizzik.

INCREDIBLE HULK ANNUAL#5. The Hulk finds himself under attack by duplicates of pre-FF monsters sicced on him by the original Hulk, Xemu The Titan. The Hulk's rogues gallery in this issue include Diablo, Groot, Goom, Taboo ,and Blip.

MARVEL UNIVERSE#4-7. A sadly short-lived anthology series written by Roger Stern featuring stories set before the arrival of the Fantastic Four. The second arc set during the 1950's entitled Monster Hunters, Features the formation of a group composed of Dr. Anthony Druid, Zawadi of Wakanda, Ulysses Bloodstone, and Special Agent Jake Curtis as the team of Monster Hunters work to figure out the origin of the sudden appearances of monsters all over the world. Also the Monster Hunters find themselves being pursued by a scientist most regard as a crank, Dr. Harvey Elder. Who figures out the team's mission might have the line on finally proving about a world of wonders below the surface of the Earth.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The One and Only wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:55 am The 2017 mini crossover event, MONSTERS UNLEASHED ! featured an all out monster invasion of the Earth by the Leviathon Tide. Just when Marvel's heroes look like things are over for them, the classic Marvel Monsters (Fin Fang Foom, Googam: Son of Goom, Goom, Zzutak, Vandoom's Monster, and whole lot of others) show and join the battle. The series introduces Kid Kaiju, and his own band of monsters Hi-Vo, Fireclaw, Mekera, Aegis, Scragg, and Slizzik.

INCREDIBLE HULK ANNUAL#5. The Hulk finds himself under attack by duplicates of pre-FF monsters sicced on him by the original Hulk, Xemu The Titan. The Hulk's rogues gallery in this issue include Diablo, Groot, Goom, Taboo, and Blip.

MARVEL UNIVERSE#4-7. A sadly short-lived anthology series written by Roger Stern featuring stories set before the arrival of the Fantastic Four. The second arc set during the 1950's entitled Monster Hunters, Features the formation of a group composed of Dr. Anthony Druid, Zawadi of Wakanda, Ulysses Bloodstone, and Special Agent Jake Curtis as the team of Monster Hunters work to figure out the origin of the sudden appearances of monsters all over the world. Also the Monster Hunters find themselves being pursued by a scientist most regard as a crank, Dr. Harvey Elder. Who figures out the team's mission might have the line on finally proving about a world of wonders below the surface of the Earth.
Oh, I loved The Incredible Hulk Annual #5 when I read it as a kid - still do, in fact. One funny part is the Hulk mistaking the Blip for his old enemy Zzaxx, one of my favorite of his enemies (I always wanted Zzaxx to grow into a giant and fight the Marvel version of Godzilla - missed opportunity, Marvel, if you ask me).

Just a couple of goofs: it's the Blip and Xemnu the Living Titan.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

I'm just going to leave this here, and then run away fast. No, you're not seeing things - that IS an American flag on his underside.

Meet Todd Ziller, aka "American Kaiju"...
https://www.cbr.com/american-kaiju-marvel-monster/

Rurouni Senator
Yojimbo

Post by Rurouni Senator »

I'm going to start reading this, could be fun, and I really like Doug Moench's writings. I did look on the inside a little and did not see Sunfire who is someone I was hoping to see in this Kaiju focused series, and I prefer the pencil work of the ink artist of the series as opposed to the pencil artist chosen for it.

I'm still not allowed to post pictures, but I wanted to show why I like the art of Jim Mooney (inker) more than the work of Herb Trimpe (penciler). Can I graduate probationary status, please?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I have the Essentials, but I really hope this is reprinted in color by Marvel or IDW. We also need some Marvel related merchandise.

The One and Only
Futurian

G1985 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:20 am I'm just going to leave this here, and then run away fast. No, you're not seeing things - that IS an American flag on his underside.

Meet Todd Ziller, aka "American Kaiju"...
https://www.cbr.com/american-kaiju-marvel-monster/
American Kaiju is making an appearance in the second issue of Marvel tie-in to this year's KING IN BLACK event, PLANET OF THE SYMBIOTES.
Last edited by The One and Only on Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jesus .......

American Kaiju?

I'm in Heaven.