Is it a good time for a Gamera comic?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Is it a good time for a Gamera comic?

Post by Bentley »

Considering how IDW has been launching several franchises succesfully and that now even DC wants to revive He-Man as a comicbook character, could it be that Gamera sees the light again anytime soon? Or should we be realists? :lol:

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: Is it a good time for a Gamera comic?

Post by kaijukurt »

IDW's set of Godzilla comics haven't been exactly runaway successes; so I think it's unlikely to see IDW venture into the Gamera franchise.
However; I would love to see some new Gamera comics also.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

I think it's a good time for anything Gamera. I doubt the market agrees with me, though..
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

HELL YEAH!! If IDW gets Gamera he should be in a sister-comic to the ongoing GODZILLA.
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

UnCanny Studios
G-Force Personnel

Post by UnCanny Studios »

kaijukurt wrote:IDW's set of Godzilla comics haven't been exactly runaway successes; so I think it's unlikely to see IDW venture into the Gamera franchise.
However; I would love to see some new Gamera comics also.
They've sold very well for IDW's standards, just not when compared to the giants of the industry. You're still right, though, since the sales of each series seems to trail off pretty early in their issue runs. The sales had been cut in half by issue #6, halfway through the original run of KOM.

Gamera isn't on the recognition scale of Godzilla, though. I'm not sure how well it would sell over here. The KOM comics were able to create a successful launch for IDW because of Godzilla's instantly recognizable appearance/label/franchising. Not because they were necessarily great storytelling or artistic wonders, because they weren't. A Gamera comic would have to boast some gorgeous art and a killer story to make an impression.

And I think we would all be down for that 8-) .
GLENN AMER doesn't battle, he just allows you to Lose.

http://skreeonk.com - The Kaiju Fan Network! Check out the KAIJU FAN MARKETPLACE! Still going strong! Buy, sell, and list with other kaiju fans for free! Buy stuff!

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

wataru wrote:
Tyler wrote:
wataru wrote:Because the DHP Gamera comics were horrible.
Well common sense says they won't be responsible for a new series.
Depends if IDW wants to dole out cash for Gamera and every-single-monster from his franchise.
Kadakowa is a diff type of company than Toho. I don't think their rules regarding copyrights with their monsters are the same. I think if you buy the rights to Gamera, you can use all of his foes too.

That being said, I just don't see the market demand for anything Gamera related unfortunately. I'm primarily a Gamera fan, a Godzilla/Toho fan secondly...so it really pains me to say that.

There's also the question as to how you bring back Gamera. I know alot of you would like to continue down the path of Gamera 3...but in making Gamera that dark you really start to lose what makes him unique in the first place, and instead end up with a Godzilla clone of sorts. But if you do something in the spririt of the character ala Gamera the Brave, GOTU, or the Showa series...do you stand a chance of drawing an audience? Prob not.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a comic, but maybe we'll get a new film for his 50th in a couple of years.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Gamera the Brave is easily one of the high points for the genre post-2K and it's a shame it wasn't successful enough to warrant sequels. I think Gamera 3 works wonderfully in the context of the over-arcing story of the nineties trilogy, but I agree that it's way to often the "go to" when people talk about bringing Gamera back.

One of the great things that Gamera has over Godzilla is that he's alot more pliable then Godzilla because of his "lower pedigree" of sorts so people are generally a lot more accepting of radical changes then they would if it was Godzilla. It'd be great seeing that taken advantage of in a comic, but I don't expect anything from this character for quite some time.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

TokyoVigilante wrote:Gamera the Brave is easily one of the high points for the genre post-2K and it's a shame it wasn't successful enough to warrant sequels. I think Gamera 3 works wonderfully in the context of the over-arcing story of the nineties trilogy, but I agree that it's way to often the "go to" when people talk about bringing Gamera back.

One of the great things that Gamera has over Godzilla is that he's alot more pliable then Godzilla because of his "lower pedigree" of sorts so people are generally a lot more accepting of radical changes then they would if it was Godzilla. It'd be great seeing that taken advantage of in a comic, but I don't expect anything from this character for quite some time.

Very sensible man. Yeah, I'd like to see a DAM styled Gamera film for the 50th reuniting Gamera with all of his Showa foes. Do I think it'll happen? Nope. I think if we get anything for the 50th it'll be something cheap and non offensive.

When I used to live in Japan I was amazed to see how minor of a character Gamera is to the general public. It's really sad, but something that fans over here seem to forget from time to time. In fact, thanks to MST3K, Gamera might be more popular over here than he is in Japan currently.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

wataru wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote: Kadakowa is a diff type of company than Toho. I don't think their rules regarding copyrights with their monsters are the same. I think if you buy the rights to Gamera, you can use all of his foes too.
Licensing of every character isnt exclusive to Toho. Marvel does it as well.

I know that IT IS done, I'm just saying I don't think Kadakowa is one of those companies or that Gamera is one of those properties, hence why Dark Horse was able to use Gamera's foes in their comics.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

You're making points, but they're not connected to anything I'm saying. Yes, Marvel licenses individual characters and yes Dark Horse has more money than IDW but these things are not connected in the slightest to Gamera or any future comics in the US.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Well, obviously IDW is making some kind of profit over the Godzilla comics, or they wouldn't continue creating new series'. Gamera on the other hand... of course I would love to see it, but Gamera wouldn't be as marketable over here as Godzilla is.

Best example... Asked a friend(of course I knew the answer), "You know who Godzilla is?"... he said yes.. "You know who Gamera is?"... "What another giant monster or something?"
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer