GODZILLA VS MIGHTY MORPHING POWER RANGERS

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GODZILLA VS MIGHTY MORPHING POWER RANGERS

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:33 am -snip-
Yeah, I mostly agree with everything you said here. And yes, the legion of bug monsters makes sense. This is where me not knowing Power Rangers a lot becomes an issue. While Gigan is generally a respectable foe for Godzilla, I have no clue what Scorpina's Power's or relative strength level is. While Megagurius can probably put up a good fight, for some reason Gigan and the other monsters seem like a more formidable threat. Kamacuras as a cool redesign, and I wonder if they'll put up more of a fight here.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:43 pm
Yeah, I mostly agree with everything you said here. And yes, the legion of bug monsters makes sense. This is where me not knowing Power Rangers a lot becomes an issue. While Gigan is generally a respectable foe for Godzilla, I have no clue what Scorpina's Power's or relative strength level is. While Megagurius can probably put up a good fight, for some reason Gigan and the other monsters seem like a more formidable threat. Kamacuras as a cool redesign, and I wonder if they'll put up more of a fight here.
You have a point about Scorpina, but I'd say given that she runs with Rita at all times, I'd guess she's probably pretty damn tough. But you're right, the other three from this issue really felt like a matchup between three big bruisers while the bug army feels like a step down. Maybe a couple more monsters will join the fray? Or maybe Kamacuras and Kumonga will be a lot tougher here than they usually are.
Spoiler:
Gotta be honest though, while I knew Scorpina could turn into a giant monster, I wasn't expecting to see it in this series. I thought if anything we'd see a giant Goldar, especially since we see one on the cover of issue #3.
Is Kamacuras really redesigned any? He looks pretty much like a generic mantis to me like the 2004 version, especially on that last page. I did notice the odd discrepancy of him being red on the cover but green in the interiors though.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I don't think you usually have to keep track of Power levels in these situations. Having said that, Scorpina wasn't in the show that much (her sentai version was a much bigger role). As far as her power levels, she is a general and is about on even footing with Goldar, with her focusing more on speed and ability while he has better strength (though he is not slow himself. People tend to forget Goldar has decent agility for his size) In her debut appearance, she beat the rangers by herself the first time they fought. In their giant monster forms, it took the combined might of Goldar, Scorpina, and giant evil green ranger to defeat the Megazord during a solar eclipse (the solar eclipse severally weakened the Megazord because it uses solar energy).

As far as fights go, she would hypothetically have the early advantage over Godzilla because of her speed and agility and annoy him. The ways Godzilla would eventually beat would be
1. She attacks from long range with her beams or energy blade boomerang and Godzilla counter attacks with his breath (Godzilla definitely has the advantages in both long range Power, melee strength, and durability).
2. Tries to use her tail to send energy pulses, which Godzilla counters with a nuclear pulse.
3. Underestimates Godzilla's tactical abilities (she likely will think he's a simple brute and that would cost her).
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:33 amI know a handful of Power Rangers monsters but I did not recognize any from that vision scene outside of the Pharoah guy. Either super-obscure or I don't know as many as I thought. Some freaky looking dudes in there, but pleased to see some familiar Toho faces.
Here you go, Shenanigans, as well as anyone else who may not have recognized any or all of the MMPR monsters:

"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

No Pudgy Pig :(

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I thought of how this monster group might give difficulty to both Godzilla and Megazord: speed based tactics. With the exception of Kumonga (and even then Kumonga was acrobatic in Final wars), Scorpina, Megagurius, and Final wars Kamakuras are all fast opponents. You can easily have Kumonga jumping around webbing Godzilla and the Megazord, Megagurius flying around disorienting with the sonic sounds from her wings, and finally you can have Kamakuras, Megagurius, and Scorpina doing ninja style super speedy slashing strikes.

Also Scorpina has a decent versatility of powers and skills. Like mentioned before, she's faster and more acrobatic than Goldar (who can jump high himself even in giant form). Her giant monster form has a head tail stinger that can stab or wrap around opponents and send powerful energy pulses, she has excellent melee skills, she can focus energy into her boomerang sword and turn it into essentially a lightsaber boomerang, she can fire energy beams out of her pincers, eyes, and her boomerang sword, and if she's with Goldar they can combine their swords to fire a more powerful beam. And this is just off the top of my memory.

She's definitely top tier as being one of the strongest opponents the MMPR season one rangers fought.

Now as far as this new team being weaker, I think it's simply the writer's are going for a speed type battle next. Rhinoblaster was a more brute type monster (he has tough armor such that the Rangers had to use Mega-Dragon Zord, which is the Dragonzord on top of the Megazord, their second strongest Zord combination besides Ultrazord to beat him) and Eye-guy has fast regeneration as long as his main eye is intact. So with Gigan, the first evil team was more brute force.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Thanks for the list, TitanoGoji! Definitely seems to me like they chose a few more obscure guys, surprised more popular ones like Pumpkin Rapper aren't there.

On a different note, the company Monogram has unveiled a SDCC exclusive box set of bag clip/key chain figures based on this very comic series!

https://sdccblog.com/2022/06/monogram-s ... xclusives/

These are the first toys to be based on any of IDW's Godzilla comics, so that makes them quite a novelty in their own right, though technically speaking they were previously released in separate Godzilla and Power Rangers sets. Even so, as a fan of both Monogram's little bag clip toys and IDW's comics, I want this, even if the crossover packaging of the two franchises together is the main unique feature of the set.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Did Issue 4 come out yesterday? I've been seeing random reviews on you tube pop up.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

^It did; I was going to share my thoughts yesterday but didn't have time.

And so, here are my thoughts; spoilers below:

This series really is fun as hell, and I loved the majority of this issue just as much as what had come before. It is unbelievably consistent in many regards, including the break-neck speed at which we're flying through the series. Regrettably, that approach finally begins to falter a little here with the bug battle being laughably, pathetically short. As in, like, its over in a few panels. Megaguirus got the worst end of it, since we don't even see what happens to her! She's knocked backwards alongside Kamacuras and Kumonga... and then we never see her again even after the other two join back in. I was expecting her to outlast the others and figured her mysterious disappearance was setting her up for a surprise return later on, but she just inexplicably vanished. I haven't minded some of the shorter moments in this series, but this fight wasn't handled great. They could've even played up the unpredictability of the monsters with Scorpina. Hell, it might've been a little better if Ghidorah scared them off or something. Maybe the idea was that they knew they couldn't top the previous fights with the bugs and wanted to move past it as urgently as possible, but it just felt awkward. Certainly doesn't help that we were waiting two months for this issue...

Thankfully, the rest of the issue delivers indeed. Ghidorah's much-anticipated arrival was handled wonderfully, both in art (he's huge!) and execution. I love that it isn't a typical back-and-forth; no, Ghidorah just decimates everyone instantly and doesn't let anybody get any hits in. He also has a bit of that chaotic energy that the Showa version had too, attacking everyone and everything in sight. Never get tired of seeing Ghidorah when its this nigh-unstoppable version.

I have to give it up for the writing on this issue as well; the series is fairly straight forward and at times fairly predictable, yet I'll admit there were a few plot twists that I genuinely didn't see coming. Some stuff was obvious, but they throw out a few really great twists. Dialogue was good at times too; I quite liked the little moment between Tommy and the Xilien. Additionally, Rita remains the highlight of the series. And the art is fantastic as always; a few off-panels here and there are not nearly enough to bring it down as a whole, there's some really beautiful work in here. Megazord isn't too easy to draw again and again and again, so credit where its due.

A few more random, spoilerly thoughts:
Spoiler:
Slippery Shark! Nice to see someone I recognized instantly.

For some reason I feel like the Xilien Tommy talks to was originally meant to be female, since the female Xiliens have yet to appear with only one issue left. This Xilien fills a somewhat Namikawa-like role, too. Wonder if they did change it, and why?

I swear these issues all have the same ending, man. Bunch of new monsters show up and Rita preemptively declares victory. At least this time they aren't looking over a cornered Godzilla or Megazord... Minor observation.
Series remains a favorite, though they certainly got their work cut out for them with only one issue left. Unfortunately it looks like we may be in for another, quite extended delay... sigh...
Last edited by Shenanigans on Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Didn't realize that the latest issue came out until I saw this thread. Just bought it on Amazon.
Shenanigans wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:40 am Regrettably, that approach finally begins to falter a little here with the bug battle being laughably, pathetically short. As in, like, its over in a few panels. Megaguirus got the worst end of it, since we don't even see what happens to her! She's knocked backwards alongside Kamacuras and Kumonga... and then we never see her again even after the other two join back in. I was expecting her to outlast the others and figured her mysterious disappearance was setting her up for a surprise return later on, but she just inexplicably vanished. I haven't minded some of the shorter moments in this series, but this fight wasn't handled great. They could've even played up the unpredictability of the monsters with Scorpina. Hell, it might've been a little better if Ghidorah scared them off or something. Maybe the idea was that they knew they couldn't top the previous fights with the bugs and wanted to move past it as urgently as possible, but it just felt awkward. Certainly doesn't help that we were waiting two months for this issue...
Given that an entire cover was devoted to Scorpina, Kumonga, Kamacuras, and Megagurius, I feel like an issue, or at least more time, were probably devoted to that conflict, but had to get downsized due to pacing and constraints. Maybe the idea was that Megagurius just didn't obey, but again it could've been handled better. Maybe Ghidorah itself blasts her away?
Thankfully, the rest of the issue delivers indeed. Ghidorah's much-anticipated arrival was handled wonderfully, both in art (he's huge!) and execution. I love that it isn't a typical back-and-forth; no, Ghidorah just decimates everyone instantly and doesn't let anybody get any hits in. He also has a bit of that chaotic energy that the Showa version had too, attacking everyone and everything in sight. Never get tired of seeing Ghidorah when its this nigh-unstoppable version.
Yeah Ghidorah is cool. I like the brief moment where Godzilla and the Megazord are in the water blasting away at Ghidorah. Great use of color too.

Overall, I pretty much agree with everything you have to say. I wonder about the Ms. Namikawa issue as well. I'm wondering if the comics got delayed because of her, and having to edit her out for some reason.

I just hope the final issue throws a few curveballs in there, and isn't just "Power Rangers and Godzilla, with the help of the Dragonzord defeat King Ghidorah". Maybe Gigan, or Megagurius will return briefly. Who knows.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Super quick for any PW fans here, recommend me a decently articulated Megazoid figure that would scale with your average Bandai or Neca Godzilla figures please!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

cloverfan98 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:10 pm Super quick for any PW fans here, recommend me a decently articulated Megazoid figure that would scale with your average Bandai or Neca Godzilla figures please!
If you can wait a year, the best one is probably going to be the super 7 ultimate dino megazord coming out July 2023. It's going to be 8 inches tall, so a bit big but scales with super 7 ultimate Godzilla.

If you want something cheaper with articulation less than neca but more than vinyl, there is the Walmart retro megazords. They are 7 inches tall but aren't super wide. They have dino megazord, thunder megazord, lost galaxy, and a red ninjor repaint.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

This is probably the most respect Ghidorah’s gotten in an IDW comic so far. Absolutely manhandles Godzilla and the Megazord and will probably hold his own once the Dragonzord joins the fray. This is the final boss Ghidorah fight I’ve been waiting for, a classic 3v1 battle. Maybe Mothra or Rodan will show up to help.
Last edited by JesstrK on Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Just when I think this can't get any better, Ghidorah comes in and WRECKS SHIT! Lovely work by our three-headed overlord.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

JesstrK wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:08 pm This is probably the most respect Ghidorah’s gotten in an IDW comic so far. Absolutely manhandles Godzilla and the Megazord and will probably hold his own once the Dragonzord joins the fray. This is the final boss Ghidorah fight I’ve been waiting for, a classic 3v1 battle. Maybe Mothra or Rodan will show up to help.
I don't think we're going to get Mothra. The twin Shobjin would have shown up and communicated with the Rangers by now imo.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

cloverfan98 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:10 pm Super quick for any PW fans here, recommend me a decently articulated Megazoid figure that would scale with your average Bandai or Neca Godzilla figures please!
Minipla (easy to build model kit) Megazord is my pick.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

cloverfan98 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:10 pmSuper quick for any PW fans here, recommend me a decently articulated Megazoid figure that would scale with your average Bandai or Neca Godzilla figures please!
If you want something that scales fairly well with Bandai figures (assuming you're referring to the 6" figures) that also isn't super expensive, the Retro line of Zords is probably your best bet:

They're fairly cheap and have roughly the same articulation as Bandai vinyl figures (arms, sometimes the legs and head, etc), and I think they'd look pretty well together.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Reminder that issue #5 is (at long last) out tomorrow! Preview's up:

https://bigcomicpage.com/2022/09/13/pre ... ublishing/
Spoiler:
Welp, we're repeating how issue #3's cliffhanger ending came to an abrupt and anticlimactic conclusion in issue #4, though this one looks to be far worse if they're really offing all those monsters in one page. I know these issues are very short and they've paced this whole series shockingly well with that in mind, but moments like this only make the series feel a little more bloated than it needs to be. What's really the point in having all these characters (Rita's monsters here and the bug kaiju previously) show up for a grand total of like 3 pages?
At the end of the day though, this is mostly just nitpicking and doesn't change the fact that this series has consistently delivered; I very much look forward to this finale! This series has been a blast, I never thought I'd like it so much.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Issue 5 was fine! I think overall this series was good. It’s a unique crossover, but other than the initial premise it offers little surprises and plays it safe. That isn’t bad at all, I think it’s certainly lived up to it’s expectations as a crossover between the two franchises. But compared to other things like Godzilla in Hell, Godzilla Rage Across Time, or even Rulers of the Earth, it offers little in terms of zany storylines or concepts.
Spoiler:
Everyone teaming up against Ghidorah, was fun, albeit predictable. I don’t mind the Power Rangers monsters losing so easily; it’s been fun having King Ghidorah be a big bad again and wipe the floor with a bunch of monsters. It does make some of the series feel really rushed however. I don’t know much about Goldar, but I’d assume he’d have a bigger threat or role. Like Scoprina, and other creatures, they’re sort of pushed to the side. I do have to say, I prefer Ghidorah getting a very decent amount of showing over two issues instead of just being a monster that appears at the very end.

Again, as I said it played it too safe. One thing I thought, but accept, is that the Power Rangers get more character talking time, and Godzilla and crew just sort of show up. The Xilliens barely do anything other than give exposition. Id love a series where maybe other Godzilla characters (if the rights permit it), show up instead. Like the Cosmos, or Serizawa. Something a little whackier and more story driven.

The cliffhanger certainly opens up that possibility! The final page is pretty much a big stab at conventional “Godzilla rules”; we get we bunch of different Godzilla designs on the same page….including a goofy Showa version! It’s certainly something that will expand beyond discussion of this comic, as it’s something we’ve never seen before.
Overall good, now give us Godzilla meets Batman!

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

My MVPs of the series go to the Williams II-Dalhouse art team. A real sense of energy and fun in the art!

It was a decent conclusion. Good action was delivered though I found the resolution to the Rita-Xilien tandem to be a bit rushed.

Overall, the series did what it set out to accomplish and I liked it. Cullen Bunn is a dependable, rock-solid writer who I'd quickly welcome back to writing more Godzilla comics.

I wonder if there'll be a sequel mini to address the
Spoiler:
implications of multiple dimensions/a Godzilla multiverse!!!
Last edited by kaijukurt on Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla