What Toho Books, Posters, Misc did you just buy?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla All Kaiju Big Picture Book 2021

Post by Angilasman »

^ Uhhhhh... I'll get back with you when I read it. I just flipped to a random page!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: What Toho Books, Posters, Misc did you just buy?

Post by shadowgigan »

Just put a bid on The Making of Godzilla 1985. I really want that alternate Orai poster.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I bought a strange book that seems to be an official guide by Toho of strategies the JDSF uses against Godzilla throughout the films. It’s titled “Godzilla vs SDF Training manual”. Never seen this talked about, should be fun!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:15 am I bought a strange book that seems to be an official guide by Toho of strategies the JDSF uses against Godzilla throughout the films. It’s titled “Godzilla vs SDF Training manual”. Never seen this talked about, should be fun!
"tanks -------> big monster. Lasers optional. Add missiles, battleships, jets and helicopters as desired."
Am I close? :lol:

My girlfriend got me a series of small posters for Christmas, trying to find an appropriate place to hang them. Included: Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, Godzilla and Blue Christmas!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:15 am I bought a strange book that seems to be an official guide by Toho of strategies the JDSF uses against Godzilla throughout the films. It’s titled “Godzilla vs SDF Training manual”. Never seen this talked about, should be fun!
Sounds similar in plot to The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks (only without the part where it's missing the final chapter).
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Sounds interesting, may have to track this one down myself.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Got this Finnish G98 poster, mainly for sentimental reasons. When I saw the poster for the first time as an 8-year-old, that sparked my interest in Godzilla.

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

What are people's thoughts on Godzilla History of Formative Arts? How does it compare to the Toho SPFX books? Wanting the best reference to build a GidoGoji kit.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:27 pm What are people's thoughts on Godzilla History of Formative Arts? How does it compare to the Toho SPFX books? Wanting the best reference to build a GidoGoji kit.
I don’t own the book but I found a YouTube video that flips through every page of it. Personally I didn’t think it was enough to justify the $100 price tag (I’d rather spend the money some of the Japanese “completion” books). You can decide for yourself (GhidoGoji starts around 10 mins in):

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You are absolutely right. This does not look like it's worth the $100. I've bought so many books over the past 25 years that offer more photos than this does and at much lower prices.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

It's a gorgeous book; beautiful physical object to hold, but it's not.... essential?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Ok, another question then. Should I go with the G'91 Toho SPFX book or Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah Complete Works?

Also, what books in general are essential? Ideally, I'd at least like a SPFX book on each of the heisei films.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I think any of the books in the "Completion" series are worth getting. I've got the book about the Kiryu movies, and it's quite thorough. Of course it's all in Japanese but the pictures make up for it.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:09 pm Ok, another question then. Should I go with the G'91 Toho SPFX book or Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah Complete Works?

Also, what books in general are essential? Ideally, I'd at least like a SPFX book on each of the heisei films.
I find it depends on whether you want A) half-page or larger photos, B) model photos, C) suit photos, or D) preproduction kaiju and mecha designs. I haven't found a book from any Heisei era film that gives me all four, but some have come close:

Echoing G-Matt's recommendation earlier, I like the "Completion" line of books. They will hit most of the above areas, but they are lacking in large photos. I also like the Shogakukan books, which started with GvKG and went on through Final Wars, as they feature great photos of the kaiju suits. But my absolute favorites are the two hardback "Art Of Godzilla" books that were produced for GvsKG and GvsMothra. These books contain not only preproduction designs, but also storyboards.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/books/gfw_scw.htm
https://www.tohokingdom.com/books/art_o ... lla_kg.htm
Last edited by G1985 on Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

G-Matt wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:39 pmOf course it's all in Japanese but the pictures make up for it.
This used to be more of an issue. But these days, just get the free google translate app on your phone. You can use the augmented reality function to translate the pages in real time as you read them.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

With the news that Godzilla Store Japan has partnered with Buyee to ship to other countries such as the US, I nabbed a bunch more of the Toho Visual Books series of photobooks. Can’t wait to get them!

I ordered Godzilla 1964, 1964 V2, 1984, 1991, and 1995; as well as Gigan 1972 and the the Super X volume.

This is a rabbit hole I’ve been eager to dive down. I picked up a few books about a year ago at Kinokuniya NYC and have been dying to collect more but the high resale prices have held me back. These books are really great, but I don’t know that they’re $40-a-piece-on-eBay great (Japanese retail is about ¥1100, or roughly $9 - which is a real steal imo). I’d love to have a complete set, but with over 70 volumes and counting that may not be feasible.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:08 am With the news that Godzilla Store Japan has partnered with Buyee to ship to other countries such as the US, I nabbed a bunch more of the Toho Visual Books series of photobooks. Can’t wait to get them!
With the new shipping option, how much do they cost with shipping?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I don’t know yet. I placed the order earlier today (while it was the middle of the night in Japan). The order isn’t ready to ship yet and they don’t quote the shipping charges until the package is at buyer’s warehouse and ready to ship out.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:08 am With the news that Godzilla Store Japan has partnered with Buyee to ship to other countries
Great news! :D

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

They arrived! Love these books. I haven’t had time to open all of them yet but each one is a lot of fun to peruse.

There are a few errors in them. Mostly in the English text which was clearly translated by either a machine or someone who is not fluent. And occasionally some details will be wrong in the english text (like once it said Godzilla vs Destroyer was from 1989) while the Japanese text is correct. And there was one photo error where they have an image that is clearly G’89 from the Osaka showdown in the G’91 book.

But these are really minor (maybe with the exception of the wrong photo slipping in) seeing as these are photo books and the text is very minimal.

And the photos are gorgeous and every book offers some unique and interesting photos I’ve never seen before. Easily worth the $14 each or so they wound up costing after it was all said and done!

Added in 51 minutes 5 seconds:
Some of the captions in the G’64 V2 (GTTHM) book keep using the word “guignol” when they clearly mean puppet. Google has educated me that “Guignol” is a famous French puppet character…. Lol