What's your favourite Godzilla comic series?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.

What's your favourite Godzilla comic series?

Marvel's Godzilla, King of the Monsters
6%
Dark Horse's Godzilla, King of the Monsters
17%
Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters
2%
Godzilla: Gangsters and Goliaths
4%
Godzilla: Legends
2%
Godzilla: Ongoing
No votes
Godzilla: The Half-Century War
23%
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
29%
Godzilla: Cataclysm
6%
Godzilla in Hell
8%
Godzilla: Oblivion
2%
Godzilla: Rage Across Time
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 48

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Re: What's your favourite Godzilla comic series?

Post by morgoth »

I really liked Godzilla in Hell, Just because it was unique.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Half Century War all the way, what a cool concept for a book! And the Stokoe (?) art... Oof!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

Something that's ongoing but does story arcs instead of continuing sagas. Japanese will do if I can get a letter code and another Japanese dictionary. As John Lees in G-Fan, Godzilla fans are rabid; and you can find a supply of shorts and videos of crossovers that are countless and even short stories.
Take care and God bless

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

A year later and I changed my mind: Half Century War is my favorite G comic ever. Amazing concept, use of Goji's lore, and Stokoe's art is simply beautiful.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

That one was good, but they made it confusing about who was talking.
Take care and God bless

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm going with Rulers of Earth. Cataclysm wasn't really my thing, In Hell is fine except that stupid Arsepull ending, RAT doesn't do anything for me, and i haven't read the others. ROE has the best characters, plot and monster action.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

G&G hands down
He Jock it Made of Steel

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Marvel's Godzilla, King of the Monsters is a lot of fun with a ton of variety packed in - from boxing Dum Dum Dugan to meeting Devil Dinosaur.

Dark Horse's Godzilla Color Special/Art Adams' Creature Feature is the most solid work they produced. Adams is probably my all-time favorite American Godzilla artist.

IDW's Gangsters & Goliaths and The Half-Century were my favorite of their miniseries. Rulers of Earth was fun for all the references and monster action packed in. I generally enjoyed any of the stories with art by Bob Eggleton, James Stokoe, Dave Wachter and Matt Frank, and of course Adams' handful of covers were phenomenal.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

If we are talking about manga, I would say THE GODZILLA COMIC. It does the most for the series by introducing radical and interesting ideas. A lot of these ideas are short, and incredibly fresh, in context of the series. I think it has some of my favorite stories in the series.

If we are talking about Western comics, I would say it's Half Century War, RAT or Godzilla in Hell. Half Century War is the best at consistency. Godzilla in Hell and Rage Against Time, both have stellar issues, and shit issues (well in hell less).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Favorite Godzilla comic ever?

Post by mikelcho »

Komenja wrote:Rulers of Earth, hands down. Gangsters & Goliaths is a really close second.

I'm also super fond of one issue of the Marvel Godzilla comics (#24 or #25, not sure which) where he fights the Avengers and the Fantastic Four, with Spiderman taking pictures of the whole thing from a safe distance. That was the first Godzilla comic I ever came across, and I wish I still had it.
That was #24, the last issue of the series.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Rulers of Earth. That series was everything I hoped it'd be. Good characters, good world-building, good dialogue, good setting, and just all around fantastic Kaiju action, not to mention giving certain Kaiju time to shine in ways they haven't since their debut movies, such as Varan and the Gargantuas.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Gonna say Godzilla in Hell for now. Very unique ideas in a world where creativity is discourage and recycling the same garbage over and over again is customary. While the series used traditional kaiju more than I'd like for such an outlandish concept, the premise itself so unique that I pretty much overlook it. I know Godzilla and HP Lovecraft are very different mediums, but they can sure as hell go together amazingly!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The Darkhorse run is the Godzilla comic series I grew up with, so that gets my vote.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Now this poll has to include Godzilla: Monsters and Protectors (which is now finished) and Godzilla: Rivals.

Can it be done, please?
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

I went with Dark Horse's Godzilla: King of the Monsters (assuming the pre-series comics like GKOTM '87 and Godzilla Color Special are also included in that choice, since they're part of the same story/continuity). Sure, it lacks the other Toho monsters, but it tells such solid, fun, and exciting stories, and does them pretty well for the most part. Kaiju like Soran, Gekido-Jin, Bagorah, Cybersaur, the Dianii, and even the Lord Howe Monster are some great additions to the Godzilla pantheon. Second place would be Godzilla: Rulers of Earth. It has the rest of the Toho crew, which is a huge plus, and it starts off really strong, but by the end of the comic the story just becomes so messy and bloated and they stop even trying to set up and explain things and things just happen with no rhyme or reason to them. I get it wasn't entirely the crew's fault, but that doesn't change the end result and it's really unfortunate. Third place would probably be Marvel's Godzilla: King of the Monsters. While being surprisingly slow and even boring at times (at least from what I recall), it at least has fun nostalgic and "wacky 1970s" aspects to it. The Mega-Monster arc is probably the comic's high point, though that's roughly in the middle of the series. Kingdom of Monsters and History's Greatest Monster just felt like slogs to get through where nothing ever really paid off until Rulers of Earth.

Out of the various IDW mini-series', Half-Century War, Cataclysm, and Gangsters & Goliaths were all great (at least from what I recall of Cataclysm and G&G, as I admit I haven't read them as recently as Half-Century War). Legends, In Hell, and Rage Across Time all were good overall, but all shared the problem of inconsistent quality. Legends is probably the worst offender - It includes what is probably one of the greatest Godzilla comics of all time (Issue #4: Hedorah) and yet also what is probably one of the dumbest Godzilla comics of all time (Issue #2: Rodan). The first issue of In Hell is incredible but the other issues never really reach that same high (though, with that said, issues #2, #4, and #5 are still solid). Issues #1, #2, and #3 of Rage Across Time are solid but the other two are fairly meh.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Masterofsome01
Samurai

Post by Masterofsome01 »

Rulers of Earth has got to be the GOAT for me not only for the art, but the mesh of old and new ideas plus awesome fights because of either cool ideas (like using Anguirus as a mace, an army of Showa Mechagodzillas also Godzilla and SpaceGodzilla teaming up briefly to fight the Trilopods) or interesting mashups like (Rodan vs Varan or King Caeser vs Megalon)

On a related note the Trilopods are some the best recent Kaiju I've seen in a while from their designs to their terrifyingly efficient concept, don't want to mind control an army of monsters well then make a kaiju that can copy their abilities so you can have an army of as many Godzillas as you want

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I love ROG so I love the comic series. I would buy the Dark Horse version every time I went to the grocery store as a kid. Really need to pick those up as I don’t know what happened to them.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Half Century War is my absolute favorite, followed by Marvel's series, followed by Dark Horse's.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The Dark Horse comics are the ones I grew up on.