IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by Shenanigans »

The finale of Monsters & Protectors is out this week, thankfully with more Mothra! Preview here:

https://comic-watch.com/news/sneak-peek ... -sale-8-18

Hmm, looks like they redid the preview page posted earlier. Little disappointed they got rid of this absolutely adorable Mothra shot, but I guess she got too close for comfort. :lol:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Issue 5 was good. I liked how Biollante has kept coming back. I felt like too many of the IDW comics felt like they needed to cram in a new monster and fight every issue, so it was refreshing to see Biollante make multiple comebacks.

The conclusion with Mothra and how the issue is resolved is a nice one. And the final panel...

I hope this series gets a continuation. I’ll definitely be picking it up in trade if it ever gets one.

Some other people criticized how kids, the target demographic, might not love it, but I think they will and I think it’s a great story for someone who is 8-12. In addition to early on providing some real scientific concepts and problems, it showcases in the end the importance of future generations tackling ongoing problems. It’s optimistic and empowering. While I enjoy the IDW series, it’s easy to forget that things like Cataclysm, Half-Century War, and Oblivion are all super pessimistic and this serves as a nice foil to that. The Godzilla and tone of this series sort of reminded me of how I viewed Godzilla in the late showa era when I was 10.Then of course it still delivers the goods with monster action.

Some people might say,”yeah well Mothra vs Godzilla(and many other entries in the series) deal with a lot of environmental and sociopolitical issues, why not just show a kid that?”. They’re right, but as a kid I didn’t recognize a lot of the subtext behind these things, like how infant island had been destroyed by nuclear testing, and just enjoyed it as a monster movie. A lot of it went over my head. That’s why something like Monsters and Protectors is important.

I think Monsters and Protectors strikes a nice balance at introducing children to greater issues, while not being overly dark or edgy.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Can I just say I actively adore just how gosh darn cute Mothra looks? Seriously, she hasn't been this fluffy since the Heisei Era and she looks like an adorable plush toy.

I rather quite like the Shobijin having distinct personalities again like back in the Rebirth trilogy. Why they didn't just reuse the names Moll and Lora might be a copyright issue, but May and June are fun enough. Children cast is quite good too and it's nice to see some diversity about.

I will say I wasn't expecting a potential shout-out to the King of the Monsters manga, but the way Godzilla picks up and throws Biollante in issue #4 is a bit too similar to be entirely coincidental. If it was a nod, good form IDW, good form.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

The Monsters and Protectors trade will be out Feb 15, 2022 for $9.99.
https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Monster ... 466&sr=8-2
Last edited by GODZILLA2877 on Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Monsters & Protectors #5 was a lot of fun! My main critique of the previous issue was that the stakes didn't feel too high, what with the kids being so remote from all the action; this issue definitely rectified that, and then some! The stakes were a lot higher here, and it feels like a lot more ground was covered in this one issue than any previous ones (which should be expected for the final issue of a series, but I'd grown accustomed to the slower pace). Biollante's demise was, uh, certainly original, which was a plus. But they really did tie it all together better than I would've thought, especially with how they presented the differing views of Cedric's classmates as neither right or wrong, suggesting something of a balance between their views as the path forward. I also just like the description of Godzilla's mind and the psychic bonds the group shared, which was backed by some awesome art. It was different from any Godzilla story I can remember, so I enjoyed it!

The series as a whole was pretty fun; I'd be down for a continuation for sure! Schoening's art is an absolute joy, and I'd love to see more kaiju redesigns under his pen. Some aliens would definitely be exciting (in particular, I think a ridiculous kaiju like Gigan would fit the art style beautifully). If there is a continuation, I might suggest abandoning the vlog format, or at least cutting back on it. It was a really neat, unique framing device for the story, but at times overwhelming, like too much time was lost with us in Cedric's room. But it's a minor quibble, really. The slower pacing wasn't bad, just something to get used to (especially after I reread Rulers of Earth last year, which was of course a series that unabashedly ran at a million miles a minute).

After a long, nearly five-year hiatus for IDW's Godzilla comics, I feel like I would've expected them to start off with a bang, and I don't know if I can say that about this series. But the thing is, the series wasn't trying to do that. It was a subtler, softer series, one that absolutely succeeds at its goal - to be accessible to a younger audience. I especially enjoy that the series was able to introduce that spiritual, mythical side of Mothra that was sorely missing from 2019's King of the Monsters to said audience. Mothra's fairies and her spiritual connection to nature is so important to her character, and this series did not simplify any of that like KOTM did (mind you, I know they did it partly to fit a more "grounded" setting as well). And it definitely presented some strong themes of hope and the good that humanity is capable of in the face of so much bad, which are, ahem, not exactly themes you see super often in this franchise. A refreshing change of pace. I liked it a lot, and I would love more, you know, light-hearted comics of this nature. :D
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:45 pm Some other people criticized how kids, the target demographic, might not love it, but I think they will and I think it’s a great story for someone who is 8-12. In addition to early on providing some real scientific concepts and problems, it showcases in the end the importance of future generations tackling ongoing problems. It’s optimistic and empowering. While I enjoy the IDW series, it’s easy to forget that things like Cataclysm, Half-Century War, and Oblivion are all super pessimistic and this serves as a nice foil to that. The Godzilla and tone of this series sort of reminded me of how I viewed Godzilla in the late showa era when I was 10.Then of course it still delivers the goods with monster action.

Some people might say,”yeah well Mothra vs Godzilla(and many other entries in the series) deal with a lot of environmental and sociopolitical issues, why not just show a kid that?”. They’re right, but as a kid I didn’t recognize a lot of the subtext behind these things, like how infant island had been destroyed by nuclear testing, and just enjoyed it as a monster movie. A lot of it went over my head. That’s why something like Monsters and Protectors is important.

I think Monsters and Protectors strikes a nice balance at introducing children to greater issues, while not being overly dark or edgy.
Very well said, I definitely agree with all of this. And its something I love about this franchise in general - the versatility. Every story in every medium is so different from what had come before; it seems to offer something for everybody.

(Case in point - Godzilla: Rivals #1 was pretty damn dark at times.)

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Good themes, good art, good cameos...great finale and series overall!!!
Formerly known as kurtzilla

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Well, all I can say is: please, please, please let's get back to the main storyline and get Ganimes and Minilla 2004 (?) (I hope) into it like they were probably going to do in the first place!
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Preview of the second Godzilla: Rivals issue, out this Wednesday! Digging the art already.

https://comic-watch.com/news/sneak-peek ... -sale-9-15

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Whoa! That is a cool cover!

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I hope issue #3 of Rivals is about SpaceGodzilla

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'm thinking the next issue will actually be Ebirah since its anniversary is this year like Hedorah and Mothra.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

So Godzilla Rivals: Vs. Mothra came out. It was okay. I really don't have too much to say about it. Feels like a big step down after the Hedorah issue was so strong. I appreciate some of the unique ideas, though it feels like they needed more fleshing out. Like Mothra being held captive by the JSDF was pretty cool, though the way it is presented raises questions. They just... chained her up in an unguarded lake? And then just decide to kill her before doing anything to her? I also liked that Mothra needed "help" from Mima on more than one occasion, but it never really felt like they had much of an actual "connection" or relationship there. Underdeveloped.

The art was solid, albeit it with some off-looking shots of Godzilla, though there were a couple of gorgeous shots of Godzilla's silhouette looming overhead to make up for it.

Fairly generic overall, which isn't great for yet another story centered solely around Toho's top two characters. Felt much quicker than the previous issue, too.

Here's issue #3 by the way.

... :-|

Not the most inspired choice. We came out of the gate strong with Hedorah, and then... Eh. Always up for Xiliens, though.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

We’re getting Ghidorah in the next issue! I’m hyped. I love the King playing card art. We haven’t really gotten a good Godzilla vs. KG comic from IDW yet (other than Half Century War) and I was disappointed he didn’t get a Legends issue, so here’s hoping this one delivers.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

A part of me is hoping to see something disappointing get done a bit better. Like Space Godzilla. I feel like they had a good rivalry in Rulers of the Earth. I feel like that fits a Space Godzilla better than 'ultimate evil clone.'
Also want to see Rodan, maybe team up with another monster, and fight Godzilla.
And the final issue: GAMERA!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh yeah and finally read the first one. Damn that was really good! Plenty of monster action and some great twists and turns. I almost think it'd make a great 90 minute feature length with a few beef ups.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Full synopsis for Rivals #3:
Godzilla Rivals Vs. King Ghidorah—SPOTLIGHT
Adam Gorham (w) • Adam Gorham (a) • E.J. Su (c)
When Mars invades Earth, Godzilla surfaces from Tokyo Bay and is pulled into battle. Captured and taken by the Martians, Godzilla is forced to fight in a gladiatorial arena, where he faces his biggest challenge yet—KING GHIDORAH!

Written and illustrated by Adam Gorham (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Savage Avengers).
FC • 52 pages • $7.99
In Shops: Dec 22, 2021

*Retailer incentives:
Variant cover by Jeff Zornow!
Hm... You know, the premise won me over on this one. A space gladiatorial kaiju battle sounds fantastic!

Also, here's Jeff Zornow's cover for the issue:

It's funny, I literally just saw Jeff this weekend and I was going to ask if he was going to do anything for IDW's new run, but decided against it. Very happy for him to be back, even if its just a cover (for now)!

Also, interesting to see Kamacuras there. Maybe several kaiju will partake in this gladiatorial battle?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:04 pm Full synopsis for Rivals #3:
Godzilla Rivals Vs. King Ghidorah—SPOTLIGHT
Adam Gorham (w) • Adam Gorham (a) • E.J. Su (c)
When Mars invades Earth, Godzilla surfaces from Tokyo Bay and is pulled into battle. Captured and taken by the Martians, Godzilla is forced to fight in a gladiatorial arena, where he faces his biggest challenge yet—KING GHIDORAH!

Written and illustrated by Adam Gorham (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Savage Avengers).
FC • 52 pages • $7.99
In Shops: Dec 22, 2021

*Retailer incentives:
Variant cover by Jeff Zornow!
Hm... You know, the premise won me over on this one. A space gladiatorial kaiju battle sounds fantastic!

Also, here's Jeff Zornow's cover for the issue:

It's funny, I literally just saw Jeff this weekend and I was going to ask if he was going to do anything for IDW's new run, but decided against it. Very happy for him to be back, even if its just a cover (for now)!

Also, interesting to see Kamacuras there. Maybe several kaiju will partake in this gladiatorial battle?
That's an awesome cover and makes me more excited for the issue. Glad to see Zornow is still involved with the IDW run. I'm not asking for a full-blown Kamacuras story, but the addition of them and the Xilliens makes me more excited to see Ghidorah again. IIRC, we haven't had a Godzilla comic take place off earth, other than a brief snippet in ROE. If we're lucky, maybe we'll get some glimpses of some other monsters too. Edit: It states "Martians", but they clearly have the moonlight sy3 and xillien crafts there. I wonder if they'll include Mysterians and other races as well. Could be cool.

I haven't really discussed the Mothra Rivals issue, but I thought it was good. It was a really standard story, but I appreciated the weirdness of the lock and rescuing Mothra. We also got to see Godzilla go on a rampage and fight the military a little more, which sort of has been missing from past issues. The "Mothra can spit web too" was a nice touch that made the issue mildly more interesting as well. It's not as great as the first issue, but it didn't bore me and I'D be excited for more. This and issue one feel like mini movies, and I appreciate how they establish and wrap up a narrative in one go in a satisfying way.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:41 pmIIRC, we haven't had a Godzilla comic take place off earth, other than a brief snippet in ROE.
Idk if you're talking specifically about the IDW run, but Godzilla went to the moon in issue 12 of the Marvel series.

Also I like the cover's typographical reference to Ghidrah.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:44 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:41 pmIIRC, we haven't had a Godzilla comic take place off earth, other than a brief snippet in ROE.
Idk if you're talking specifically about the IDW run, but Godzilla went to the moon in issue 12 of the Marvel series.

Also I like the cover's typographical reference to Ghidrah.

I was referring specifically to the IDW run, but yes: Godzilla fights the Beta Beast in Space in the Marvel Run. Despite the Godzilla series having a lot of aliens, him going to space has been pretty rare with just IOTAM and a few other "not cannon" ideas (A Space Godzilla).

Didn't recognize the typographical reference and thank you for that.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

going to red Rival
Last edited by GODZILLA2877 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.