IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:11 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:42 pm Hope Mothra shows up again, her absence is felt after her debut last issue.
Aaaaaand the cutest Mothra lives! Figured as much, of course. Not sure about issue #4 but there is this preview from the final issue -

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1411069584073838594
That’s fantastic. I love it and it’s the appropriate level of goofy. But yeah it’s a shame they didn’t reappear in issue 3.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Shenanigans wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:11 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:42 pm Hope Mothra shows up again, her absence is felt after her debut last issue.
Aaaaaand the cutest Mothra lives! Figured as much, of course. Not sure about issue #4 but there is this preview from the final issue -

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1411069584073838594
I love the looks on both the pilot and co-pilot's faces. You can tell they're both thinking "Tell me I didn't see what I think I saw."

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Wow that Mothra really is cute as a button
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:10 pm Rivals #2 has been solicited for September. Unfortunately, nothing else was announced to follow Monsters & Protectors, though I'm certainly hoping for something next month.
You know that image of 85 Godzilla almost looks like he's been combined with Final Wars Godzilla to me at least

Either way it looks pretty fantastic!

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Should we make separate threads for the Rival series or Monsters and Protectors? What does everyone think?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'm all for it! They have their own vibes pretty far removed from the original IDW batch of books.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

What would you guys say is the best IDW arc thusfar? I haven't read anything since Half-Century War.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:56 pm Should we make separate threads for the Rival series or Monsters and Protectors? What does everyone think?
Hmmm so far I'm ok with one big general thread.

Didn't seem like there was that much discussion on the latest issues. Plus the spacing between issue release dates is distant enough to give each series breathing room.
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:46 pm What would you guys say is the best IDW arc thusfar? I haven't read anything since Half-Century War.
Half-Century War is still IDW's best for me, with Cataclysm being a close second.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

kaijukurt wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:49 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:56 pm Should we make separate threads for the Rival series or Monsters and Protectors? What does everyone think?
Hmmm so far I'm ok with one big general thread.

Didn't seem like there was that much discussion on the latest issues. Plus the spacing between issue release dates is distant enough to give each series breathing room.
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:46 pm What would you guys say is the best IDW arc thusfar? I haven't read anything since Half-Century War.
Half-Century War is still IDW's best for me, with Cataclysm being a close second.
I may have to go with Gangsters and Goliaths. Maybe it was because it came out and proved that IDW could do GOOD Godzilla comics after the first couple of Kingdom of Monsters issues or maybe its because it actually managed to blend Godzilla movies and Yakuza movies into a perfect blend. Honestly I think all the mini series were better than all three ongoing series.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Gangsters in Goliath's is also my pinnacle IDW godzilla comic. Now I haven't read all of them, but I couldn't really get into Half Century War (I know, I'll try again), and I read through one of their longer series that despite being fun, I found pretty weak. Gangsters and Goliath's on the other hand, has some of my favorite elements of the godzilla franchise, and actually plays with fairly established tropes in some interesting ways. While arguably cliched, I think its one of the most unique takes we've seen comics side and I would love to see more content with this level of quality.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Issue #4 of Monsters & Protectors came out this week!

Perhaps I’m just getting used to the style and the slow pace, which is certainly not for everybody, but I think this issue was something of an improvement over the previous couple. The series certainly doesn’t “wow” me the way I was hoping it would, but its alright.

I still really enjoy this take on the Shobijin; its just wonderful seeing them with a sense of humor that is rarely seen, yet not at the cost of their more spiritual side. The fight was fun, albeit short again. You really get the sense that Godzilla has learned from his previous mistakes, which I love. Art continues to be a highlight with all characters, human and kaiju. My main gripe now I guess is that it doesn't exactly feel like we're gearing up for the climax. I mean the kids are set to save the world... by meditating in the middle of gym class off to the side. Granted, I'm not sure how exactly to pull off the grand climax, as combining human and kaiju stories is always difficult, but surely there must have been more that could have been done? Raise the stakes a little bit? Still, its harmless fun.
Spoiler:
I loved the Anguirus cameo, even if it was for one panel (a gorgeous shot with Mothra). Anguirus, Rodan, and Ghidorah have appeared at least once in every series thus-far; I suspect that this series will end that streak for the latter two, but at least Anguirus continues on!
By the way, IDW's solicitations for October are out... and no new Godzilla series. I'm already getting the feeling IDW doesn't give as much of a shit about Godzilla as they do their other licenses, and not having a series planned after this one doesn't exactly challenge that...

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:48 am but I couldn't really get into Half Century War (I know, I'll try again),
Half Century War is remarkably overrated. I've read it three times and I still don't get the appeal.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

eburnham
Ronin

Post by eburnham »

Shenanigans wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:41 pm Still, its harmless fun.
Harmless fun is part of the mission statement, and we've been getting letters from parents about their kids digging it, sometimes with happy kids posing with the books, so... I mean, that was the goal. I'm happy. (:

Especially with how many boxes that needed to be ticked off before I could start writing. lol.

But I really wanted to respond to the "don't care compared to the other licenses" part.

For what it's worth, they do care--and I can't speak out of school, but I do know there are more plans.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

eburnham wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:08 am
Harmless fun is part of the mission statement, and we've been getting letters from parents about their kids digging it, sometimes with happy kids posing with the books, so... I mean, that was the goal. I'm happy. (:

Especially with how many boxes that needed to be ticked off before I could start writing. lol.

But I really wanted to respond to the "don't care compared to the other licenses" part.

For what it's worth, they do care--and I can't speak out of school, but I do know there are more plans.
Very happy to hear that kids are enjoying it, that is the target audience after all. Could be a good way to create more Godzilla fans in the world, too. ;) I know I would've loved to have had more stuff like this when I was a kid (though I did have the Random House Godzilla books, those were cute).

I'm sure IDW has more plans, eventually, but they just never seemed quite as enthusiastic about Godzilla as other titles. I know most of the people actually working on the comics themselves are quite passionate and proud of the work they put in, though, and its shown through most of the series they've released.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

eburnham wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:08 am Harmless fun is part of the mission statement, and we've been getting letters from parents about their kids digging it, sometimes with happy kids posing with the books, so... I mean, that was the goal. I'm happy. (:

That's great news! I've absolutely LOVED everything IDW has done!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Potentially major spoilers for issue #5 of Monsters & Protectors revealed by a variant cover, though it might also be nothing... IDK, you be the judge.
Spoiler:

Little Godzilla! So far the photo covers have reflected kaiju in the series, so I guess it stands to reason that Little Godzilla will be making an appearance. Could potentially be a nice way of wrapping the series up by revealing Godzilla's own "personal stake" in his war against humanity, I suppose. Interestingly, IDW did not previously have the rights to Little Godzilla/Godzilla Junior. They did have Minilla, but they never used him either, which I always found quite odd.

Its also possible they just picked a random photo for the cover that has nothing to do with the issue itself. We'll find out next month.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

eburnham wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:08 am Harmless fun is part of the mission statement, and we've been getting letters from parents about their kids digging it, sometimes with happy kids posing with the books, so... I mean, that was the goal. I'm happy. (:

Great to hear Mr. Burnham!
Formerly known as kurtzilla

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

eburnham wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:08 am

I've been reading and enjoying it. I'm happy you all were given more artistic freedom for the designs of the kaiju.

I had a few ideas I would love to see in future comics if possible.

1. A suicide squad style plot. I would love it if you all did a group of misfit kaiju having to either stop Godzilla or fight another threat like King Ghidorah, Destroyah, Space Godzilla, or even Hedorah. The plot could be the UN captures lesser kaiju like Gabara, Zilla, Kamakuras, Gezora, Manda, and use them to fight the mentioned threat.

2. A Godzilla year one type plot. Have Godzilla go through fighting kaiju for the first time and have learn his atomic breath, nuclear pulse, ect...

Those are just my thoughts.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

eburnham wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:08 am we've been getting letters from parents about their kids digging it, sometimes with happy kids posing with the books, so... I mean, that was the goal. I'm happy. (:
I'm really glad to hear this, it must feel great!
Kids deserve Godzilla and kaiju more than any of us jaded grown people. Not only that, but the comic industry needs to connect with kids more than ever. Keep up the good work E.B.! I know I'll keep buying it.
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:09 pm
Jetty_Jags wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:48 am but I couldn't really get into Half Century War (I know, I'll try again),
Half Century War is remarkably overrated. I've read it three times and I still don't get the appeal.
Half Century War hit home for me, because I've always wanted to see a "thru the decades" kinda story like that. The Deverich (sp?) character was one of the better digs and Dean and Roland imo. Plus I'm a sucker for writer/artists like Stokoe and Sean Gordon Murphy. However, Gangsters and Goliaths is incredibly underrated. I feel like everybody praises HCW endlessly and doesn't give G&G the love it deserves.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jan EnciZilla
Ronin

Post by Jan EnciZilla »

these comix have only recently arrived in Italy. And in this weird order: the Half-Century War; Gangsters & Goliaths; Cataclysm; Godzilla in Hell; Oblivion; Rage Across Time; Ongoing (in this month)...