What Toho Books, Posters, Misc did you just buy?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
G-Matt
Futurian

Re: What Toho Books, Posters, Misc did you just buy?

Post by G-Matt »

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla Completion
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Went to Kinokuniya in NYC while I was there last weekend. Was hoping to find the Godzilla Store photo books. While the selection they had left was pretty well picked over I still managed to get some pretty good ones. Also got Biollante completion. Was *very* tempted to grab the Godzilla 1984 completion as well but I’ve got several “Making of” books on 1984 already and i had to at least *try* to act like I was paying attention to budget...

Added in 27 minutes 44 seconds:
So, I can’t believe I haven’t thought of this until just now. I have all these Japanese language books I can’t read. And I have the google translate app on my phone. I can use it to translate my books in real time as I read them! (Or take photos and translate them. Sometimes that works better for large chunks of text).

Example below. First is the raw page. Second is a screenshot of what I see on my phone as I hold it over the page.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Technology has come too far. Even if the translation isn't perfect, it's crazy that a phone can do that.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Yeah it’s not perfect, but it’s good enough that you can understand most of what’s written. And I’m sure it will only get better over time.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Wow, that's amazing.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:19 am So, I can’t believe I haven’t thought of this until just now. I have all these Japanese language books I can’t read. And I have the google translate app on my phone. I can use it to translate my books in real time as I read them! (Or take photos and translate them. Sometimes that works better for large chunks of text).

Example below. First is the raw page. Second is a screenshot of what I see on my phone as I hold it over the page.

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:19 am Went to Kinokuniya in NYC while I was there last weekend. Was hoping to find the Godzilla Store photo books. While the selection they had left was pretty well picked over I still managed to get some pretty good ones. Also got Biollante completion. Was *very* tempted to grab the Godzilla 1984 completion as well but I’ve got several “Making of” books on 1984 already and i had to at least *try* to act like I was paying attention to budget...

Added in 27 minutes 44 seconds:
So, I can’t believe I haven’t thought of this until just now. I have all these Japanese language books I can’t read. And I have the google translate app on my phone. I can use it to translate my books in real time as I read them! (Or take photos and translate them. Sometimes that works better for large chunks of text).

[] https://i.imgur.com/1svLD5b.jpg[/]

[] https://i.imgur.com/BiImmxk.jpg[/]
That's a thing?! Cool! Transcribing and combing through the text is naturally more reliable, but if you just need the gist of something, that's certainly helpful.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Yeah, it’s crazy cool. And it’s free! I’ve played around with it a bit more. Using the real-time translating is really cool and feels very sci-fi. But for large chunks of text I’ve found using the “scan” feature works better. With it the app snaps a photo of the text, then scans it and turns it into a plain text document and then translates that. Not as fancy as seeing the text overlaid on the page itself as augmented reality, but faster and (seemingly) more accurate translations for larger blocks of text. If there’s too much on the screen the real time augmented reality translation really struggles and will keep changing as you’re trying to read it.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:19 am Added in 27 minutes 44 seconds:

That's awesome. Even if not 100% accurate, this is absolutely invaluable to non-Japanese fans. Although I do hope I someday am able to put the time dedication in to learn Japanese, this may very well be good for my personal research into these films.

Just a shame that my phone is too old to install the app...
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

ale62
Ronin

Post by ale62 »

Really great!
Technology is running!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Finally snatched up a reasonably priced used copy of Monsters Are Attacking Tokyo! I knew it was rich with quotes, but had no idea it was mostly quotes: dozens of interviews broken into pieces and assembled mostly chronologically in the "oral history" style!

How cool!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Angilasman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:27 pm Finally snatched up a reasonably priced used copy of Monsters Are Attacking Tokyo! I knew it was rich with quotes, but had no idea it was mostly quotes: dozens of interviews broken into pieces and assembled mostly chronologically in the "oral history" style!

How cool!
I liked it for the most part, but I thought his objectivity toward the Showa films while making pot shots at Heisei stuff was childish. And too bad Ken Utsui became so respectable that he was ashamed of his Super Giant films. Idem. para Yumi Shirakawa.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I read the capsule reviews first so I could save my most anticipated bits (the interviews) for my vacation next week - and Galbraith's star ratings are wacky! Kwaidan, one of the greatest supernatural films of all time, can't quite break out an appraisal of four stars and has to settle for three and a half and The Last Dinosaur has... the same rating?!?

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Angilasman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:59 pm ^ I read the capsule reviews first so I could save my most anticipated bits (the interviews) for my vacation next week - and Galbraith's star ratings are wacky! Kwaidan, one of the greatest supernatural films of all time, can't quite break out an appraisal of four stars and has to settle for three and a half and The Last Dinosaur has... the same rating?!?
I'm a huge fan of Leonard Maltin-esque capsule reviews, but yeah, that part is probably the least interesting part of the book, save the possibility of discovering titles you weren't aware of before.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

H-Man wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:22 am
Angilasman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:59 pm ^ I read the capsule reviews first so I could save my most anticipated bits (the interviews) for my vacation next week - and Galbraith's star ratings are wacky! Kwaidan, one of the greatest supernatural films of all time, can't quite break out an appraisal of four stars and has to settle for three and a half and The Last Dinosaur has... the same rating?!?
I'm a huge fan of Leonard Maltin-esque capsule reviews, but yeah, that part is probably the least interesting part of the book, save the possibility of discovering titles you weren't aware of before.
Actually for me reading that section as a kid introduced me to a ton of films I had never heard of and inspired me to track down. I'll never forget his praise of Gorath and then seeing it and being a little let down. I still consider it a good film.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Got multiple collections and compilations, I lived in a foreign country so we really didn't had access to buying the godzilla comics so i read them... in other ways, recently got around to buying most of them or their compilations. Preordered unnatural disasters, should have rulers of earth here soon tomorrow. It has me giggly to finally be able to own the comics i loved reading so much.
Last edited by the-killer-wc on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Recently got a making of "Son of Godzilla Book" that is also about Son of Godzilla's special effects director. It's cool because it also serves as a focus on Sadamasa Arikawa, who often doesn't get enough credit within the fanbase. It also has a bunch of cool storyboards for son of Godzilla, including all the monster scenes planned and written out.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:19 am Recently got a making of "Son of Godzilla Book" that is also about Son of Godzilla's special effects director. It's cool because it also serves as a focus on Sadamasa Arikawa, who often doesn't get enough credit within the fanbase. It also has a bunch of cool storyboards for son of Godzilla, including all the monster scenes planned and written out.
Does the book ever discuss why he didn't have a bigger part in the films after Tsuburaya passed away? I'm assuming internal politics?

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Just ordered The Art of Shin Godzilla from Japan.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.