The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

Post by Gigantis »

At last.. the rise of the snek
Spoiler:
I actually read this fight on DeviantART, like, four years before it came out lol. Back then it was just Bagorah vs. C-Rex, but it's nice to see King Cobra getting added. I do gotta say though.. could've been a bit longer, but a nice intro for KC overall.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

CommanderPhoenix
Monarch Researcher

Post by CommanderPhoenix »

Welcome to the KWC, King Cobra! Always nice to see some more niche monsters getting the spotlight.
Spoiler:
I half expected Bagorah to lose this and for it to end up as a tie between C Rex and KC, but I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Both a great introduction for King Cobra to the KWC, and a great showing of Bagorah as an intimidating threat to the world. Great job, GvR! :mrgreen:
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:02 pmGreat job, GvR! :mrgreen:
No no, Soulgodzilla wrote this one, not me. Different Matthew lol. I did do some editing on this one at Soul’s request to bring it up to standards, but all the credit still goes to him. (And yeah I didn’t do enough to warrant a co-writing credit, before anyone asks, I didn’t add or subtract anything, just editing. It’s like what KaijuX does to just about every match, basically)
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:10 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:02 pmGreat job, GvR! :mrgreen:
No no, Soulgodzilla wrote this one, not me. Different Matthew lol. I did do some editing on this one at Soul’s request to bring it up to standards, but all the credit still goes to him. (And yeah I didn’t do enough to warrant a co-writing credit, before anyone asks, I didn’t add or subtract anything, just editing. It’s like what KaijuX does to just about every match, basically)
Ah, my mistake! :lol:

Anywho, great job SoulGodzilla!

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Spoiler:
I have to say, this almost had me with a few of its close calls.
This was a pretty good match.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Completely unrelated, but reading the King Kong vs Zilla match and looking at the old version via the Wayback Machine, I couldn't help but note some of the changes made, namely the bit where Kong's described as having a silver back. Was this done to avoid making him seem too much like his 2005 self?
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Kiryu2012 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:43 pm Completely unrelated, but reading the King Kong vs Zilla match and looking at the old version via the Wayback Machine, I couldn't help but note some of the changes made, namely the bit where Kong's described as having a silver back. Was this done to avoid making him seem too much like his 2005 self?
Indeed. With the revamps, KaijuX has done a phenomenal job catching stuff like that as the standards/rules of the KWC back then are not what they are now. Having 05 Kong in a KWC match would be a major red flag.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Kiryu2012 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:43 pm Completely unrelated, but reading the King Kong vs Zilla match and looking at the old version via the Wayback Machine, I couldn't help but note some of the changes made, namely the bit where Kong's described as having a silver back. Was this done to avoid making him seem too much like his 2005 self?
As Greyshot said, very much so. With the HDs, I really want to try and reel everything back and keep it as KWC-standard as possible. More extreme cases like 133's Prometheus or 150's Randy-Jaguar I'm a little uncertain of if any drastic measures will be taken, but that'll be a matter of circumstance when we get there.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

KaijuX wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:38 am
As Greyshot said, very much so. With the HDs, I really want to try and reel everything back and keep it as KWC-standard as possible. More extreme cases like 133's Prometheus or 150's Randy-Jaguar I'm a little uncertain of if any drastic measures will be taken, but that'll be a matter of circumstance when we get there.
What about Match 185 and Orga’s whole “Orga Cells” origin? Was that also made back in the less-restrictive days of the KWC, and will it also be changed?

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:36 am What about Match 185 and Orga’s whole “Orga Cells” origin? Was that also made back in the less-restrictive days of the KWC, and will it also be changed?
I'll have to see that when I get there. The changes I'm enforcing are the simple ones; again, like emphasizing "Toho Kong" over Tom's headcanon of 2005 Kong. More complex cases will just depend on how I feel about the story, its impact, and presentation. I wish I could answer with utmost certainty, but besides Match 56's EX-Gomora, I really can't be sure which of the converted KWCs will retain their original flexibilities and which ones will be reigned in to meet modern standards.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Why change older matches for that sort of thing, though? I get that it's a little wonky when compared with the way the KWC is written nowadays and that things are a bit more consistent now, but why not just write that stuff off (as TV Tropes would put it) as Early Installment Weirdness and leave it at that?
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

I want to again emphasize, as I am helping KaijuX with the HD restorations, that nothing important to a story is being removed. 56 will keep EX Gomora, 133 will keep Prometheus, 150 will keep nanomachine Jet Jaguar, 185 will retain Orga Cells (I don’t even see how that’s against the rules now) that sort of stuff remains.

As for why stuff like silverback Kong is removed? Cause it doesn’t really contribute anything to the match anyway, the match is the exact same with that modern-rule breaking thing taken out. Like with match 14, the golden atomic ray was changed to a Red Spiral Ray, well in part because we’re pretty sure Red Spiral Ray was the actual intent anyway and early-Tom just thought he was being cool calling it gold, and also because changing it doesn’t change the match itself and brings it more up to standards.

Remember, the whole point of the HD restorations is to get all the old matches onto the blog format with the new ones. This also serves the purpose of bringing newer eyes on those older matches. That’s why they’re being touched up for grammar and spelling first. It’s to make everything consistent on the blogs except when a match goes so off the wall that that consistency cannot be kept.

And we’re not removing the old matches, I personally think we should have a more blatant “archive” page for the old versions (with the April Fools matches in there as well), but right now if you want to read the old versions of matches, go to KaijuX’s YouTube channel, in the description of the Committee Reads for the respective matches is the link to the old versions pre-restoration. They are still on the site, just not linked on the main page.

We don’t want to come across as trying to paint over the visions of the early writers because it doesn’t fit the modern day, it’s just that when it’s something so minor that taking it out does nothing to impact the reading experience like Kong having a silverback because the 05 movie was popular at the time… why keep it? “Why remove it if it’s so minor” is also a valid question, I get that, and I don’t got an answer that is sure to satisfy. Which again, why I think we need a archive page, satisfies everyone, but obviously making a whole new page with all that is a bit of a hassle which is probably why we don’t got one yet.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

GodzillaFan8889
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan8889 »

The latest match was pretty good!
Spoiler:
Dang, I didn't even realize until now that it doesn't even use the name "Bagorah" until the very end when Major Hicks names him. That's some nice attention to detail right there. The match itself has some nice action, and it showed off the abilities of the monsters quite well! I'm kinda glad both C-Rex and King Cobra lived, even if they ended up losing.
Guy who does stuff, also a KWC/KWCE writer! :D

I go by he/him

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Just a little thought that popped into my head: considering that Cretaceous King Ghidorah is now allowed for use in the KWC, should Grand King Ghidorah's statistics image be updated to incluse him? Kind of like how the hybrid characters are done?

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:13 pm Just a little thought that popped into my head: considering that Cretaceous King Ghidorah is now allowed for use in the KWC, should Grand King Ghidorah's statistics image be updated to incluse him? Kind of like how the hybrid characters are done?
If you hover your mouse over the roster image for Grand, it changes to a pic of Cretaceous. The same works for Rose Biollante, Leo Larva, Keizer Ghidorah, and the MUTO.
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:36 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:13 pm Just a little thought that popped into my head: considering that Cretaceous King Ghidorah is now allowed for use in the KWC, should Grand King Ghidorah's statistics image be updated to incluse him? Kind of like how the hybrid characters are done?
If you hover your mouse over the roster image for Grand, it changes to a pic of Cretaceous. The same works for Rose Biollante, Leo Larva, Keizer Ghidorah, and the MUTO.
Holy cow, I never noticed that! Thanks for pointing it out. :lol: :huge:

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Yeah, GvR already pointed that one out. ;) But for future reference, I'm aiming for only Hybrid characters to have "two in one image" dealio.

Pair of kings.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

KaijuX wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:46 pm
Yeah, GvR already pointed that one out. ;) But for future reference, I'm aiming for only Hybrid characters to have "two in one image" dealio.
Ah, I see. :mrgreen:

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

A new match is out, and it’s a good one! It is a little iffy on the grammar in some areas, but other than that this match was pretty entertaining!
Spoiler:
That surprise win on SpaceGodzilla’s part was well done! And that foreshadowing… … …

If there’s a sequel, I can’t wait to read it!