Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
UltramanGoji

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla21 wrote: What potential problems may I ask? Im on the AVS forums and many forums that have Disqus. I have been frequenting these forums for many years and never encountered an issue
The more I think about it, the more it's just a minor problem that will likely not come up very often: if you have a like system where you can see what users liked what, it could potentially lead to flame wars or something.
Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote: I am a member of other forums and it works well. Nothing wrong with liking a post, a new aquisition, collection photos etc...without needing to add unecessary quote/I like replies.
That's actually a fair point that I didn't consider.

Like I said, I wouldn't use it, but I wouldn't mind it being added. Just...not as priority.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Like features always lead to popularity contests and less discussions. Keep that stuff relegated to reddit.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Like features always lead to popularity contests and less discussions. Keep that stuff relegated to reddit.
I've never encountered that in my years of going online.

Im part of a Blu ray forum, the AVS forums, a Dodge Durango owners forum, and several other movie sites (Dark Horizons, Cease and Desist, Latino Review which all use Disqus) and the issue of "popularity" has never come with their upvote features. The demographics of those sites might be a little different and perhaps a little older but no one cares.

Its really kind of moot anyway I dont think they will implement it
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
It used to not be, strangely.

Back when Vega was around, it made the user's posts and posting history completely erased. You never saw the dumb box in threads, you never saw them show up on the main topic list as a new post, it was as if the user just NEVER existed on the site. It was bliss.

Another great feature was the ability to blacklist topics, which basically did the same thing. That would be a perfect tool to have right now in the age of spoilers.
Wow interesting. #LongliveVega

Who changed it to the way it is now?
Nobody intentionally changed it. The shift to new servers(?) caused the old additions to be removed.
I like how the first reaction was, "Who changed it?" and literately not anything else.
^@above quote: PhpBB update . It basically invalidated A LOT of the old MOD files that people just

A: Refuse to update. Such as the Quoted image to URL.
B: Never got updated to begin with
C: Updated into a language that isn't English

Alternatively, there are 3rd party extension files that could be something similar but you always run the risk of getting some bad juju with those.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

So when we get new offical avatars for part 2 and 3 of the anime, are human/alien characters gonna be included? Just curious, since there's some hilarious faces they make.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

*Looks Around for a moment*

I think all non-kaiju film music threads should
be moved to the Media Center section with a
brand new section possibly being created for
music in general.

Just an idea.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

We used to have a music section. It was pretty dead.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

UltramanGoji wrote:We used to have a music section. It was pretty dead.
Oh...

I did not know that.

That's a shame.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Could we get links to automatically open in a new tab? It's a minor inconvenience to be taken off the site if I accidentally left click a link.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Could we have an option to automatically resize large images?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Can you move the "mark as read" button from where one clicks to see their posts? Im not asking to remove it completely just somewhere where I don't accidently click on it. Too many times I've done that and its frustrating....

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

goji89 wrote:Can you move the "mark as read" button from where one clicks to see their posts? Im not asking to remove it completely just somewhere where I don't accidently click on it. Too many times I've done that and its frustrating....
Prepare for a nothing "tons of people use that feature!!!!" response, which is what I've gotten in the past when asking about this exact thing.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
goji89 wrote:Can you move the "mark as read" button from where one clicks to see their posts? Im not asking to remove it completely just somewhere where I don't accidently click on it. Too many times I've done that and its frustrating....
Prepare for a nothing "tons of people use that feature!!!!" response, which is what I've gotten in the past when asking about this exact thing.
Believe me I know. Especially the " I love that feature, it lets me know what's new" ... :lol: .

All Im asking is removing it from that spot. Its like they found the most annoying spot to have it placed.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Perhaps a doubling of the staff is in order? There are after all 4000+ members total, with I'd wager 400-500 active each day. I have some more suggestions, which may be better said directly to the staff, as I'm a kaiju forum admin myself.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Perhaps there could be a fourm chat feature, like on Kaiju Galaxy?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

johnboy3434
Monsterland Worker

Post by johnboy3434 »

I'm sorry, but the Advanced Search limiting the results for short or common words does far more harm to search results than it does good. I search for the name "Jason Barr", the name of someone who wrote a book about Kaiju films, and both his first and last name are considered both too common and too short. I then search for the main title of his book "The Kaiju Film", and get told that all the words are too short. I repeat, searching for the phrase "kaiju film" on a board about kaiju films yields no results. I don't think I need to tell you what's wrong with that.

Really, no matter how flooded the search results may be with irrelevant garbage, the very concept of not searching for a word that the user deliberately entered into the search bar is an example of critically backwards thinking.
Last edited by johnboy3434 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

johnboy3434 wrote:I'm sorry, but the Advanced Search limiting the results for short or common words does far more harm to search results than it does good. I search for the name "Jason Barr", the name of someone who wrote a book about Kaiju films, and both his first and last name are considered both too common and too short. I then search for the main title of his book "The Kaiju Film", and get told that all the words are too short. I repeat, searching for the phrase "kaiju film" on a board about kaiju films yields no results. I don't think I need to tell you what's wrong with that.

Really, no matter how flooded the search results may be with irrelevant garbage, the very concept of not searching for a word that the user deliberately put in to be search is an example of critically backwards thinking.
Yeah the search bar is almost impossible to use conveniently. I find myself having to just go on google, typing in "Tohokingdom" then the topic I'm looking for.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote:
johnboy3434 wrote:I'm sorry, but the Advanced Search limiting the results for short or common words does far more harm to search results than it does good. I search for the name "Jason Barr", the name of someone who wrote a book about Kaiju films, and both his first and last name are considered both too common and too short. I then search for the main title of his book "The Kaiju Film", and get told that all the words are too short. I repeat, searching for the phrase "kaiju film" on a board about kaiju films yields no results. I don't think I need to tell you what's wrong with that.

Really, no matter how flooded the search results may be with irrelevant garbage, the very concept of not searching for a word that the user deliberately put in to be search is an example of critically backwards thinking.
Yeah the search bar is almost impossible to use conveniently. I find myself having to just go on google, typing in "Tohokingdom" then the topic I'm looking for.
That’s really the only effective way of doing it unless you know exactly which uncommon words you want to throw into the forum search bar, but even that’ll take all day because “You cannot search again for 59 seconds.” (Even if your keywords are ruled out!)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

That’s really the only effective way of doing it unless you know exactly which uncommon words you want to throw into the forum search bar, but even that’ll take all day because “You cannot search again for 59 seconds.” (Even if your keywords are ruled out!)
Oh I absolutely cannot stand the "Search again in 59 seconds" I try to go back 4 pages and end up dealing with that twice.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

"Search again in 59 seconds" thing pisses me off to no end. I mean even when I want to see "New posts" I get that crap. Even thinking about it I want to break my fucking phone afgu7jdsghyddyyttchytfdsssyyhcygytgghyvbjggb