Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Best and Worst Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

THE KING HAS RETURNED
By the man, the myth, the legend, 202Vincent!
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sun May 01, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Has everyone seen Any Kaiju Redesign That are based off of the TriStar universe

Like one big example will be from Dramzilla where he has done redesigns for famous Kaijus if they were to exist in the TriStar universe
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Mon May 02, 2022 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:10 pm THE KING HAS RETURNED
By the man, the myth, the legend, 202Vincent!
Is that supposed to be Bagan? If so, I like how the artist gave him a mouth between his thorax and abdomen.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon May 02, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:42 pm Has everyone seen Any Kaiju Redesign That are based off of the TriStar universe

Like one big example will be from Dramzilla where he has done redesigns for famous Kaijus if they were to exist in the TriStar universe

This one comes to mind for something like that! NGL I actually really like it-the artstyle is a BEAUTIFUL re-creation of the animated series and it's a fun 'redesign' based on the universe's aesthetic while still letting you say 'Yeah, that looks like [X Kaiju]'

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

If Biollante ends up in the MonsterVerse, this spectacular art by u/obamase on Reddit is a good representation of how I'd want her to look.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Where's the plant?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Gumle
Ronin

Post by Gumle »

I gotta be honest, this account and my previous Zilla designs were jokes entirely. Mostly because I find most of the people on this thread completely insufferable especially with their completely limited view of how character and concept design works. You may call it criticism but all I see is people finding someone’s fan art and needlessly shaming it behind the creators back, hell even sometimes to them. In those rare cases where I have seen someone post their own design on here, it for the most part did not receive criticism but instead words like “worst design I’ve ever seen”. And when a creator did things to slightly change the design, they were was met with the same treatment because they didn’t completely overhaul the design and kept traits they wanted to keep. My own designs have been posted to this page before ( I shall not say which for anonymity ) and while I did not receive the brunt of the rudeness that so often is present in this thread, I still did not appreciate my own artwork that I created for fun and to experiment with, being taken to be judged without my permission or consent first.

This thread has also on occasion been extremely hypocritical, shaming fan designs that are too different, while still complaining about the lack of originality in others.

Over all this thread is extremely rude and offensive, there’s nothing I can do about that even if I tried, but I still felt the need to air out my own thoughts about this thread and it’s degradation of creativity in the freedom of fan art.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gumle wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:05 pm I gotta be honest, this account and my previous Zilla designs were jokes entirely. Mostly because I find most of the people on this thread completely insufferable especially with their completely limited view of how character and concept design works. You may call it criticism but all I see is people finding someone’s fan art and needlessly shaming it behind the creators back, hell even sometimes to them. In those rare cases where I have seen someone post their own design on here, it for the most part did not receive criticism but instead words like “worst design I’ve ever seen”. And when a creator did things to slightly change the design, they were was met with the same treatment because they didn’t completely overhaul the design and kept traits they wanted to keep. My own designs have been posted to this page before ( I shall not say which for anonymity ) and while I did not receive the brunt of the rudeness that so often is present in this thread, I still did not appreciate my own artwork that I created for fun and to experiment with, being taken to be judged without my permission or consent first.

This thread has also on occasion been extremely hypocritical, shaming fan designs that are too different, while still complaining about the lack of originality in others.

Over all this thread is extremely rude and offensive, there’s nothing I can do about that even if I tried, but I still felt the need to air out my own thoughts about this thread and it’s degradation of creativity in the freedom of fan art.
Hey, I liked your design! I stated I didn’t think it works well as a traditional Godzilla creation, but I loved it nonetheless.

For everyone else:
I don’t routinely enter this thread, but please be a bit nicer. Doesn’t mean you have to like everything, but understand that everything you post here is something someone put some time and effort. Try to give more constructive feedback, and don’t exclusively bash.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gumle wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:05 pm I gotta be honest, this account and my previous Zilla designs were jokes entirely. Mostly because I find most of the people on this thread completely insufferable especially with their completely limited view of how character and concept design works. You may call it criticism but all I see is people finding someone’s fan art and needlessly shaming it behind the creators back, hell even sometimes to them. In those rare cases where I have seen someone post their own design on here, it for the most part did not receive criticism but instead words like “worst design I’ve ever seen”. And when a creator did things to slightly change the design, they were was met with the same treatment because they didn’t completely overhaul the design and kept traits they wanted to keep. My own designs have been posted to this page before ( I shall not say which for anonymity ) and while I did not receive the brunt of the rudeness that so often is present in this thread, I still did not appreciate my own artwork that I created for fun and to experiment with, being taken to be judged without my permission or consent first.

I will admit that the people on this thread (including myself) have been a bit too harsh at times... but I'm not sure doing an amateur troll was the best way of getting your point across.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I've worked to avoid being critical here, fan art is a show of pure passion from a fan and I can never hate that even with the disparity in design that is bound to happen. It's one of the purest displays of love for a series.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Im not sure that I agree. Ultimately, everything in this thread is opinions, and opinions can be harsh sometimes. Thats the reality of being an artist. When I post my own art online I go in EXPECTING that someone somewhere probably thinks its trash, and thats ok. Now MAYBE a good percent of this thread is more oriented to just expressing opinions instead of giving actual criticism, but simultaneously nobody said you are required to give criticism. Its just an opinion thread.

Your consent for your art to be judged is when you posted it online for people to see. If you don't want your art judged, dont post it lol.

"This thread has also on occasion been extremely hypocritical, shaming fan designs that are too different, while still complaining about the lack of originality in others."

Thats not hypocritical at all. There is definitely a range designs can fall in, one end being very safe redesigns and the other being so radical that they are unrecognizable. Im all for unique, out there designs, but if it doesnt look like the character it is based on, its a bad redesign.

I can only speak for myself, but generally speaking I try to be open minded here towards out there designs as well as acknowledging an artist' personal skill, even if I dont care for the design. But nobody is required to be like that. And thats ok.

Gumle
Ronin

Post by Gumle »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:33 am

I will admit that the people on this thread (including myself) have been a bit too harsh at times... but I'm not sure doing an amateur troll was the best way of getting your point across.
Yeah I agree, I could have done better in hindsight

Gumle
Ronin

Post by Gumle »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:21 pm

Hey, I liked your design! I stated I didn’t think it works well as a traditional Godzilla creation, but I loved it nonetheless.

For everyone else:
I don’t routinely enter this thread, but please be a bit nicer. Doesn’t mean you have to like everything, but understand that everything you post here is something someone put some time and effort. Try to give more constructive feedback, and don’t exclusively bash.
I very much appreciate that, truly

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Well I usually post my art here to receive criticism to improve my design to become a better artist and designer

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

TheAmazingSpino has made yet another Beast Wars kaiju crossover, this time with the king himself! Contrary to most prior designs, I like this one a lot.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu May 05, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:57 am TheAmazingSpino has made yet another Beast Wars kaiju crossover, this time with the king himself! Contrary to most prior designs, I like this one a lot.
If Shin Godzilla was gonna have wings, this is how I would've liked it to look.

I think this is cool.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Yep, more or less how I feel too. I’m willing to give the artist the utmost benefit of the doubt and keep an open mind to their interpretation. My own experience w/ this thread has been relatively 50/50. I also share the same sentiment w/ sharing art too. Most of the time my own art I’ve shared here gets merely a glance and a single “cool” or “meh, looks ok.” and nothing else whist others get at least a full 1 and a half page’s worth of feedback. It’s kinda disheartening, yeah.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Biollante by Gugenheim98
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Fri May 06, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

^
Here's the image.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the mouth but everything else is pretty good.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri May 06, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CommanderPhoenix
Monarch Researcher

Post by CommanderPhoenix »

I really like this Biollante. It almost makes me think of that one concept for Mechagodzilla, I think it was called berserk? The way it's incorporating buildings into itself is a really cool addition too.