Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Best and Worst Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Voyager »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:40 am Image by GrymmShine
That is some epic shit right there.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:40 am Image by GrymmShine
Shin Anguirus.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I know you guys are probably tired of seeing kaijuboi54's art here but they made something good again so boom.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:29 am I know you guys are probably tired of seeing kaijuboi54's art here but they made something good again so boom.
It’s not bad which is a surprise to me because usually his redesigns are just the worse, i’m talking about next to G.I.N.O kind of bad

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Image Godzilla by TheCadester

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Yeah no. Artstyle is cool and all, but nah, doesnt really have any of the traits needed for a good Godzilla design.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:14 pm Image Godzilla by TheCadester
If he was just a bit less raptorized, that would be really cool.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Meh, as a leaner, more GTS-reminiscent look, I dig it.
Last edited by Kiryu2012 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Destoroyah :Destoroyah: by Iqnatius Budi
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Here is a failed prototype of sorts of from my upcoming Godzilla redesign series. I don't think its BAD by any means, but it doesn't quite fit the vision I have for my Godzilla design, and in my attempts to stay faithful, I don't think I quite got far enough. Honestly, it barely counts as a redesign, looking a bit too similar to Kiryugoiji for me.

It took quite a few hours to make so its definitely a shame that I didn't realize that it really didnt work for me until very near completion. But oh well. I have a sketch nearly done of the new version that I absolutely love. Its more modern and animalistic. Part of me thinks that the people on TK might actually like the older version better but we will see.

(BTW, I will be making a new thread for my redesign series, and only will be showing off my Godzilla here as to not spam this folder)

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:50 am Here is a failed prototype of sorts of from my upcoming Godzilla redesign series. I don't think its BAD by any means, but it doesn't quite fit the vision I have for my Godzilla design, and in my attempts to stay faithful, I don't think I quite got far enough. Honestly, it barely counts as a redesign, looking a bit too similar to Kiryugoiji for me.

It took quite a few hours to make so its definitely a shame that I didn't realize that it really didnt work for me until very near completion. But oh well. I have a sketch nearly done of the new version that I absolutely love. Its more modern and animalistic. Part of me thinks that the people on TK might actually like the older version better but we will see.

(BTW, I will be making a new thread for my redesign series, and only will be showing off my Godzilla here as to not spam this folder)
I like it. I see more Heisei in it than Kiryugoji.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Breakdown wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:49 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:50 am Here is a failed prototype of sorts of from my upcoming Godzilla redesign series. I don't think its BAD by any means, but it doesn't quite fit the vision I have for my Godzilla design, and in my attempts to stay faithful, I don't think I quite got far enough. Honestly, it barely counts as a redesign, looking a bit too similar to Kiryugoiji for me.

I like it. I see more Heisei in it than Kiryugoji.
Honestly, Im glad you do, because it was specifically based on Kiryugoji AND Biogoji, and I didnt bother mentioning it because I thought nobody would see the Heisei influence.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Image King Ghidorah by Kaijufan113

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:54 am Image King Ghidorah by Kaijufan113
Meh. It really is just meh.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:54 am Image King Ghidorah by Kaijufan113
It’s… okay for a terrestrial Ghidorah. Would prefer more dragon-sequel faces, tho

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Alrighty, so here it is, finally finished. The first redesign in my Godzilla redesign series. And like I said, at this time I plan on only putting this one in this thread and saving the rest for my own thread. Also, the drawing 100% looks better in person. My scanner is cheap and not great.

My design is supposed to be animalistic and mean but proud and powerful. I love the aesthetic of really long tails and I also love the aesthetic of the tail paddle for swimming. My Godzilla has always intended to have these features and always intended to be a modern therapsid. In the time since I began working on designs, these things kinda became trends and are a bit overused at this point. Unfortunate, but thats what happens when it takes me months to YEARS to finish things I work on. Im proud of the art style here. Its very Matt Frank inspired, even if I lack his technical skill.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

That's really cool, Hamster. Nice work.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Apart from the neck and spines, I really don't see Kiryugoji at all. It's very Heisei-esque. I like it, though, with the exception of that one long spine. The face is interesting. It works well for an aggressive, antagonistic Godzilla; there's something almost ratlike about it, in a hard-to-define way. It just looks vicious and ruthless, ready to fight dirty.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:09 pm Alrighty, so here it is, finally finished. The first redesign in my Godzilla redesign series. And like I said, at this time I plan on only putting this one in this thread and saving the rest for my own thread. Also, the drawing 100% looks better in person. My scanner is cheap and not great.

My design is supposed to be animalistic and mean but proud and powerful. I love the aesthetic of really long tails and I also love the aesthetic of the tail paddle for swimming. My Godzilla has always intended to have these features and always intended to be a modern therapsid. In the time since I began working on designs, these things kinda became trends and are a bit overused at this point. Unfortunate, but thats what happens when it takes me months to YEARS to finish things I work on. Im proud of the art style here. Its very Matt Frank inspired, even if I lack his technical skill.
I don't really see much that differs from your initial B&W drawing. About the design itself, it's good. I'm not so sure about the chest and legs but I figure it's because of bias (if you were there at the bracket, you know what I mean).

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:13 pm That's really cool, Hamster. Nice work.
Thanks!
JAGzilla wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:51 am Apart from the neck and spines, I really don't see Kiryugoji at all. It's very Heisei-esque. I like it, though, with the exception of that one long spine. The face is interesting. It works well for an aggressive, antagonistic Godzilla; there's something almost ratlike about it, in a hard-to-define way. It just looks vicious and ruthless, ready to fight dirty.
The neck and spines were the big thing, as well as the flat head and expressive eyes. Im glad my Heisei influences came through. The spines were more so me being experimental, and I think a good switch up from the classic maple leaf every once in a while can be good. Im glad the ruthlessness came through, I wanted a very aggressive Godzilla.
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:09 am I don't really see much that differs from your initial B&W drawing. About the design itself, it's good. I'm not so sure about the chest and legs but I figure it's because of bias (if you were there at the bracket, you know what I mean).
The most principle differences were in the head:
The original looked off to me, static, and looked a bit too similar to Kiryugoji for my liking, not that I dont love Kiryugoji. The new head feels more alive and expressive, and the lack of separation between the head and neck gave a look I quite liked. The chest ironically is based on my Bandai Large Scale Godzilla 1991, which I used to reference quite a bit. And the legs were the main thing I knew people would talk about not liking, that and the spines. My design philosophy was to go for the digitigrade dinosaur feet of the Tristar Godzilla but still keep the weight and power. Which I think I succeeded with, but that depends on the eye of the beholder. I also always loved how MASSIVE the Heisei Godzillas looked, especially 89/91. So that was part of it.

Some other things to note:
My Godzilla is supposed to be a warm grey color, but I liked the look of the brown quite a bit so I kept it. His height is only 50 meters, as you will notice. Ive been tired of how much of a dick-measuring contest Godzilla designs have been lately, with everyone having to outdo each other to the point of being unreasonable. 50 meters is just fine. Its big, but not too big to have interactions with humans that are more direct.
Also, I have been working on this design in some form or another since 2019. Here is the oldest version of it:
Spoiler:
Goes to show how quickly you can improve as an artist by just referencing how other people do it.