Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Re: Best and Worst Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Executive Hamster »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:02 am ^Making Rodan look too much like a generic Pterosaur is one reason why I hate Singular Point.
I mean, Singular Point was amazing, but yeah, Rodan was the only miss in terms of the redesigns. Definitely coulda been more creative.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

I actually think that a theropod build could absolutely work for Godzilla. We can all agree that Godzilla Junior’s a fine example of a Godzilla, and he has a theropod build.

Of course, the design should adhere to Godzilla’s various traits, but I am of the opinion that it could be a really cool and dynamic design.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:16 pm I actually think that a theropod build could absolutely work for Godzilla. We can all agree that Godzilla Junior’s a fine example of a Godzilla, and he has a theropod build.

Of course, the design should adhere to Godzilla’s various traits, but I am of the opinion that it could be a really cool and dynamic design.
I believe Matt Frank did a take on one or least close to one as Godzilla could get and think it looks great.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Personally, I lean more towards Gumle and ArtMaker's line of thinking. Sure, there are some characteristics that absolutely need to be kept but the main concern should be if the design looks good or not.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I just stumbled upon those taku designs in the past few pages and I like em a lot. This is only just a redesign series though, not a comic or web series right? I’d love to see these designs in action.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:33 pm I just stumbled upon those taku designs in the past few pages and I like em a lot. This is only just a redesign series though, not a comic or web series right? I’d love to see these designs in action.
There is a plot and we've been getting sprinkles of it throughout his Twitter posts but yes, it is just a redesign series.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:16 pm I actually think that a theropod build could absolutely work for Godzilla. We can all agree that Godzilla Junior’s a fine example of a Godzilla, and he has a theropod build.

Except junior doesn't have a modern theropod build. He is still a bipedal tail dragger.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:34 pm I believe Matt Frank did a take on one or least close to one as Godzilla could get and think it looks great.
Never been big on Matt's GNEO Godzilla personally. Its got the shape and features down but its too lean for my taste. I think a good godzilla needs a little heft. Its not very modern-theropod like at all though.

Just to clarify, a modern theropod build would be a horizontal posture with the tail in the air.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

JNewbold54 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:02 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:22 am Anywho, "Season 2" of Taku's redesign series has begun! What better to start off with than King Ghidor... at? Yep, that's a Dorat and personally, I think it looks great.
And now we have his take on King Ghidorah:

Honestly if Godzilla the Series ever got to do Ghidorah I would imagine it looking something like this.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:28 am

Except junior doesn't have a modern theropod build. He is still a bipedal tail dragger.
No he’s not? Where did you get that idea?
[Pic]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... erbox=true[/Pic]

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:09 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:28 am

No he’s not? Where did you get that idea?
He thought you were referring to Toho's Godzilla Junior.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I really do dig the ideas with Taku's Ghidorah. The ethereal and eldritch qualities are really emphasized with the tendril-wings, but perhaps they could have some sort of energy webbing or something to add to them. It could be a neat idea to make them dexterous and then "grow" webbing when taking flight.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

GodzillaFan_13
Yojimbo

Post by GodzillaFan_13 »

oh i'm an absolute sucker for that ghidorah. that's a really damn good take on a truely out there Ghidorah, right alongside that Snaiadi/Darwinian one and Hyrotrioskjan's Ghid.

maybe it's just me, but i adore out-there redesigns that strech the character. it's waaaaaay better then seeing "mY oRiGinAl gOdZiLlA dEsIgN" that's just another re-hashed heisei or legendary picture's godzilla, ya' know?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

GodzillaFan_13 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:30 pm maybe it's just me, but i adore out-there redesigns that strech the character. it's waaaaaay better then seeing "mY oRiGinAl gOdZiLlA dEsIgN" that's just another re-hashed heisei or legendary picture's godzilla, ya' know?
I'm in the same boat.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:09 pm No he’s not? Where did you get that idea?
Wrong junior. We were talking about Godzilla designs that worked, so i assumed you meant Heisei. Junior from the series' design doesn't work as a godzilla design, in the same way his mom doesn't.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Sorry to be melodramatic, but at times like this, I wish that my own redesigns I’ve shared got this much feedback.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Mini-rant incoming:

Like, is my art so middle ground that it is neither “mind blowing” or “utter trash” and thus not worth the trouble of bothering with? I ask for criticism yet it gets skipped over. I seen many others do the same and yet revive feedback. Am I doing something wrong? Am I being too upfront about it?? Like?? What?!? Why universe!! Why!?!?!

Ok. Mini-rant over. Carry on, and have a nice day.

Gumle
Ronin

Post by Gumle »

Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:48 am Wrong junior. We were talking about Godzilla designs that worked, so i assumed you meant Heisei. Junior from the series' design doesn't work as a godzilla design, in the same way his mom doesn't.
I mean it does, Toho approved it. Plus professional concept artists probably know more about how to design and redesign characters then some guy on the internet who’s arbitrarily dictating rules

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Anyways, a really cool Vakishim by vaison33!

GodzillaFan_13
Yojimbo

Post by GodzillaFan_13 »

Godzilla's a character who's greatest strong suit is how damn flexible he is. doesn't matter if he's the hero, the villain, a monster, an allegory, just an animal, or what. as long as it's reptilian, has something close to the dorsal plates, and generally looks like Godzilla, it's Godzilla, angry basement-dwelling fanboys be damned.
Also, for god's sake, give some advice rather then shitting on somebody's design, Christ, not everybody's the next Shinji Nishikawa or Matt Frank, plus, not everybody's gonna want to draw just straight-up Godzilla, some want to make it a little weird, and that's ok.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Gumle wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:17 pm I mean it does, Toho approved it. Plus professional concept artists probably know more about how to design and redesign characters then some guy on the internet who’s arbitrarily dictating rules
My guy, I'm not arbitrarily dictating rules, I'm giving my opinion in an opinion thread and then giving an explanation for why I have that opinion. As a character designer myself I have certain things I think work very well for character redesigns and others that don't. I don't really care if Toho approves it. That doesn't change shit. 98 still doesn't work as a good Godzilla design since it has none of the signature traits of Godzilla in a way that is recognizable. The professional concept artists, in this case Patrick Tatopoulos and Fil Barlow, specifically set out to NOT create a faithful rendition of Godzilla. Patrick said that in his own words.

I'm sorry my guy but not everyone is gonna like every design. Hell, I DO like the 98 design, but it just doesn't speak Godzilla to me, and I've given my reasons why for that and many other redesigns. Its an opinion thread, I should be allowed to say that without constantly getting pushback. Its not that serious.