Hamster's Godzilla Art: 8 Years of Progress

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Hamster's Godzilla Art: 8 Years of Progress

Post by Executive Hamster »

Welp, figured since I've been on this site a fair amount of time now, I should probably start a thread for my art. I'm an artist who loves Godzilla, but I actually haven't drawn Godzilla all that much, at least not as much in recent years. Of course, I do plan on changing that, and am working on a piece right now. So, in preparation for what is shaping up to be one of my best Godzilla drawings, and to signify the beginning of this thread, I figured I'd look back at 8 years of my Godzilla art, ever since I was 11 years old, spending my days on Deviantart.

This...thing...was my very first attempt at a Godzilla redesign, and the oldest Godzilla art I have on my computer. Before my deviantart days, I was heavily influenced by Godzilla 1998. I obviously knew about the Japanese movies, and I liked both versions of the character equally. Idk why, just 1998 showed up in my art more.

This, actually, was a prediction for Godzilla 2014, when that teaser clip released. I flipped my shit when that happened, because I was only two years old when Final Wars came out, so the opportunity to watch a Godzilla film in theaters excited me. I still stand by that this prediction wasn't SUPER unreasonable based on what little we had to go off of at the time. Doesn't make it a good design though.

I was actually heavily influenced by FUCKING DINOMASTER early on... Thank God(Zilla) I grew out of that. Honestly though, as bad as this art is, I'd argue its a far more faithful rendition of the character than DinoMaster's schlock.

This is actually my least favorite attempt at Godzilla. He looks fucking gross. I believe this was somewhat Stan Winston inspired, which truly is an insult to his name.

A final wars clone of sorts.

So compared to most previous work, this looks much better, not that that is saying very much. It's yet another early conceptualization of 2014, before we had a whole lot to go off of for his design.

This is intended to be, believe it or not, a reconstruction of the Godzilla attack on Tokyo in 1954. My new Godzilla redesign is clearly a rip off of Godzilla 2014, but I take pride in the fact that my design actually came MONTHS before the film was released. Meaning, you could say that my redesign was one of the first Godzilla 2014 rip offs, a horrible trend that continues to this day!

I didn't draw Godzilla a whole lot in 2014. Skipping to 2015, I redrew the famous kiss of death, but with significantly worse character designs.

2015-2017 was a period of way too many AWFUL Godzilla redesigns for me. This first one feels very lazy and GINO-y. Its actually not the worst one, too.

That title would go to this fella right here. On one had, I actually put some effort into details. On the other, wtf is this design?! Its horrendous.

This design is slightly more justifiable. It certainly feels like Godzilla to me, but the anatomy is weird and the big G is way too skinny.

Now this, THIS, this is the real shit. I got involved, briefly, with the whole "Scientifically Accurate Godzilla trend". Which I ironically hate now more than anything. It truly was a terrible time to be alive. But I digress. This Godzilla was intended to be accurate to Abelisaur anatomy, which is stupid, and also it isnt, not even remotely. The truth of the matter is that "scientifically accurate Godzilla" is never a phrase that should be muttered from a mortal man's mouth.

Skipping ahead 2 years, and you can see me have a go at ShodaiGoji. And you know what? This is the first image in this thread so far that I can actually say "Yeah, I'm pretty proud of this". I put a lot of effort into both being true to the suit as well as having my own personal style represented.

Another one I really like is this random redesign I called "Big Boi Godzilla". I kinda like the idea of a stupid beefy Godzilla. I definitely want to remake this at some point.

This was my most rigorous redesign attempt ever. I spent weeks working on it, in an attempt to create a Godzilla design I could truly call my own. Its honestly one that I dont look back at too kindly. It definitely didn't age well, and I really didn't put in the effort I should have.

Which is the exact opposite of this go at MosuGoji. God damn, I absolutely love this piece. It was so fun to draw, and at the end it looked REALLY good. Definitely want to come back to it and fix it up a bit, color it too.

My final drawing of 2019 was the Legendary Godzilla again, this time the KOTM version. A fair send off, all things considered: before KOTM, I was more of a casual Godzilla fan, and after KOTM it became one of the most important things in my life. This was a huge effort for me, taking a good part of a month to work on. The anatomy is off, looking back, but over all, Im quite proud.

My only Godzilla drawing in 2020 was actually finished on the last day of the year. Yeah, my interest in the franchise was at an all time high, but I didn't draw a lot. The overwhelming sense of dread and despair around me for much of the year definitely killed my artistic inspiration. My overall art output was the lowest it's ever been. But I ended the year on Ghidogoji, which had at the time recently become my favorite suit.

Monster march began just a few days ago, so I ended up drawing Shodaigoji yet again, showing just how much I've improved since my 2018 attempt. Super proud of the result, and certainly one of my best Godzilla drawings.

And so, I end this look back into history with what is to come. A teaser. I'm working on a new Godzilla redesign, and I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy with it right now. I cannot wait to show off the finished product and continue to add content to this thread. Im also super excited to hear your thoughts and criticisms. Everyone should totally make fun of my old art, cause I definitely am XD.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Hamster's Godzilla Art: 8 Years of Progress

Post by LegendZilla »

Holy crap you’ve come a long way.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:01 am Holy crap you’ve come a long way.
Thanks my guy!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Wow. Maybe there is hope for my future as an artists! Great job, and very inspirational!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:01 am Wow. Maybe there is hope for my future as an artists! Great job, and very inspirational!
Thank you very much. If you put effort and years of work in it, you are golden. Oooh, and listen to criticism. That is very important.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Since I kinda gave up on Monster March, I wanted to do something big to make up for it. Wasnt super happy with my original go at Biogoji/Ghidogoji. So Im doing it again, but going bigger. Much bigger. That is a standard 12 inch ruler, to give you an idea.

Obviously, this is an extremely early sketch. The smaller one was a quick proportions guide I did as a reference.
Now, is it Ghidogoji or Biogoji? Idk. Its somewhat in between I guess.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

For my Monster March Submission this year, instead of actually doing the challenges, I just did one "monsterous" picture. And by that, I mean that I drew an utterly gigantic portrait of Godzilla 1991 on 18" by 24" paper. I've been working on this for almost exactly ten days at this point, though I should mention that I "technically" finished it a few days ago: the coloring and linework was done, but it looked a bit too smooth so I went over all of the details with a thicker marker to make the texture pop a bit more. Aside from being such a huge piece, I faced other challenges in that firstly, I don't really have a set way of drawing Godzilla's scales. I heavily referenced Matt Frank and Almighty Rayzilla, and as well I also referenced my Bandai Large Scale Godzilla 1991 figure, which is a huge figure that is actually, believe it or not, shorter than this drawing by a few good inches.

Anyway, no more beating around the bush, here it is in all it's glory.

For the fun of it, here is a comparison with the last Godzilla I drew, which ironically was also the 1991 suit

As well as a size comparison between the scans of the images.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Drew Gamera for the first time. It was really fun. Ive been really getting into Gamera lately, surprising since, you know, I still have never seen a single Gamera movie. Soon, people, soon XD.

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

Nice work my friend. Your marker technique is well done.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Six months after I posted the teaser, my Godzilla redesign is completed

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Some "Scientifically Accurate" Tyrannosaurs I drew a while back.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:54 am Drew Gamera for the first time. It was really fun. Ive been really getting into Gamera lately, surprising since, you know, I still have never seen a single Gamera movie. Soon, people, soon XD.
Oh my god, that's amazing!
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Thanks my guy!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

It's an absurdly good drawing, on-par with Matt Frank's work on the Arrow boxsets. Have you watched any Gamera films yet??

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Thank you lol. Im very inspired by Matt Frank obviously but I would never go so far as to say I am on his level yet.
I have now seen Gamera Guardian of the Universe and Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, but thats it so far. I have them all on blu ray, I just work full time so its hard to find time to watch em.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:50 pmIm very inspired by Matt Frank obviously but I would never go so far as to say I am on his level yet.
Overall, no, you're probably not on his level, but that's not a slight against you - Frank is a consummate professional who can churn out great work very quickly, he can meet the demanding deadlines of the industry. However, I do genuinely think that your drawing of Gamera is just as good as Frank's abilities, and that you can absolutely reach his level if you're willing to put in the work.

I have now seen Gamera Guardian of the Universe and Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, but thats it so far. I have them all on blu ray, I just work full time so its hard to find time to watch em.
Did they live up to the hype for you?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I enjoyed them. I was told that they were the best kaiju films ever, even better than the Heisei Godzilla series. Not sure that that was super accurate in my opinion, but they were certainly good. I guess there is still Irys to watch, maybe thats the supposedly "better than Heisei Godzilla" one.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Jason Voorhees for the fun of it. I want to do a series on horror/spooky characters, maybe three or four a week

dopepope
Interpol Agent

Post by dopepope »

love the progress
DOPEPOPE: zBrush Commissions Open! Contact Me for Details.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Thanks my guy. Great to hear it from someone Ive been watching the art of for such a long time.