Frankenstein Conquers the World HD G-MAN Reconstruction Now Available

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
smagal
Samurai

Re: Frankenstein Conquers the World HD G-MAN Reconstruction "Now Available"

Post by smagal »

Thank you very much! Can't wait for WoG/Rodan or Hedorah/Terror ;)

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

smagal wrote:Thank you very much! Can't wait for WoG/Rodan or Hedorah/Terror ;)
Of course. And while I don't know what can be done with Rodan as they apparently used a different edit of the film for the American version. I've honestly thought of attempting something involving that version as it's honestly depressing to me that while the classic media dvds are watchable. They have never been the best source.

As for the others WotG might not be the next restoration as I'm biding my time a little bit to see if criterion will finally announce something. As for Hedorah/Smog Monster I'm currently waiting for goji1986's version to come out. Hopefully it's soon as I haven't seen or heard many updates on it lately and I thought he was pretty close to finishing the titles as that last video he did they looked great. But I have complete faith in him after that Sea Monster reconstruction as it's the only way I watch the film period. And will be using that as a basis for when I edit the audio from the mst3k episode to sync with it.

As for what's next I'm still going back and forth on what to do. As I'm currently working more hours at work and so I don't have as much free time as I did when I made the last three reconstructions. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop making them anytime soon though. And while some I'm curious to see if Red Menace/omgitsgodzilla/kyodai Kino will beat me to the punch on using the criterion sources for some of theirs 2.0 work.

As I plan to as I've mentioned do the UPA cut of Terror of Mechagodzilla this year. Others that I want to do have changed a bit as I want to try Ghidrah the Three headed monster, Son of Godzilla, and Monster Zero. And while like with Godzilla vs the Thing their alresdy exists HD reconstructions. But I feel I can greatly improve upon them unless they beat me to it. As for those I believe he used Bootleg blurays for the main source which features heavy macroblocking and pixelation at times. Plus in some cases i feel I can improve upon some of the insert shots taken from other sources. That have can be a bit blocky at times or have varying aspect ratios. Not to mention even with all the crietion compression they still have more detail and look better than the toho blurays and the sources in the Red Menace reconstructions. Not knocking his restorations or anything as he helped inspire me to do this.

Aside from those others on my list thst I've mentioned before would be an HD Reconstruction of Gigantis the Fire Monster. And again syncing the mst3k episode for Megalon to the Criterion video source as wow that is surprisingly one of the best looking films in the set. Along with adding the English titles back to the film. The other one I plan on doing for myself which I of course would upload of anyone is interested in is using the criterion video as the source for destroy all monster and doing a sort of fan edit/reconstruction of the AIP dub.

Gorka the Vampire
Yojimbo

Post by Gorka the Vampire »

Hi G,

I too am looking forward to seeing all the goodies you may have in store for us Japanese Monster movie fans.

I would personally love to see you tackle SON OF GODZILLA. Red Menace did a good job for what he had available two years ago, but with the Criterion blu available, you would be able to do better. You could edit out the prologue and begin with Godzilla walking into the camera. By using the 2004 SONY DVD as a source, you’d have the title over Godzilla roaring and then use that DVD for the opening theme with the credits in English behind. After that scene, you could use the blu ray source for the remainder of the film which was uncut for the original US TV release.

Red Menace used the Media Blasters blu ray as the source of his DESTROY ALL MONSTERS reconstruction rather than a bootleg.

I’d also love to see you one day reconstruct a 1967 Shochiku Film called THE X FROM OUTER SPACE complete with the AIP-TV dub and English titles.

Well...what you decide to do, I’m sure it will be magnificent! :o)

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Gorka the Vampire wrote:Hi G,

I too am looking forward to seeing all the goodies you may have in store for us Japanese Monster movie fans.

I would personally love to see you tackle SON OF GODZILLA. Red Menace did a good job for what he had available two years ago, but with the Criterion blu available, you would be able to do better. You could edit out the prologue and begin with Godzilla walking into the camera. By using the 2004 SONY DVD as a source, you’d have the title over Godzilla roaring and then use that DVD for the opening theme with the credits in English behind. After that scene, you could use the blu ray source for the remainder of the film which was uncut for the original US TV release.

Red Menace used the Media Blasters blu ray as the source of his DESTROY ALL MONSTERS reconstruction rather than a bootleg.

I’d also love to see you one day reconstruct a 1967 Shochiku Film called THE X FROM OUTER SPACE complete with the AIP-TV dub and English titles.

Well...what you decide to do, I’m sure it will be magnificent! :o)
Oh no sorry I didn't mean to imply that they used bootlegs for all the reconstructions as I know the main bulk of even 85 or at least 1.0 was the kraken disc. Which still waiting on that full 1080p version of the scanned print as I was bummed that 1.5 was 720p and so small. And of course that DAM was the media blasters. I just meant for at least GvtT through Astro Monsters it was a bootleg as the source for sure. And again by no means is this me bashing Red Menace, just pointing out things that were lacking and that can be improved upon.

And oh yeah no believe me I'm definitely using the Sony dvd for that sequence for Son of Godzilla. But I'm contemplating maybe doing two versions possibly. I might just keep the more fan edit one for myself as people tend to want the more true to the original version reconstructions. Which I'm all for and understand of course. As for Son I was thinking of actually keeping the prologue entirely and doing somewhat that has been seen before with the gamera films. Where they use the original dub and just fill in holes with the international dub. Which I've always thought of doing as I really like the opening scene and am really surprised it was cut as there was footage of Godzilla that didn't get used because of it. Plus it works because none of those characters appear later in the film.

I actually do have that from the Japanese bluray release a few years back. Was so surprised they actually put the international dub on it. Which was super rare for a Japanese release. Not to familiar with the A.I.P. version personally so I would have to check it out before deciding what I personally would be able to do.

And again thank you for your appreciation of my work. Definitely not doing these for praise or recognition. But I'm glad to hear that they are being enjoyed by my fellow fans. As I'm glad to be doing my part to help keep these versions of these films alive for current and new fans to be able to watch in the best quality possiblem. Since toho has made it so these versions are now relegated to long out of print discs. While I love them and always will aren't always of the best quality especially on modern t.v.s

Gorka the Vampire
Yojimbo

Post by Gorka the Vampire »

Hi Again G,

Oh I wasn’t implying either that all the sources were bootlegs. Red did a great job on all his work, but unfortunately was compromised on some of the sources he could use since he did some of his reconstructions as long as three years ago. In my opinion, his Destroy All Monsters and his Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster look magnificent. Godzilla vs the Thing, Monster Zero and Son of Godzilla were good but weaker than the first two films. You’ve beautifully fixed Godzilla vs the Thing bc much better sources of the film have surfaced over the last year. I’m sure with your enormous talents, you’ll be able to do the same for Son of Godzilla and Monster Zero.

The AIP-TV version of The X from Outer Space is available on Internet Archive. You can type in The X from Outer Space Hd reconstruction Titra dub and you’ll find it. This fellow attempted an HD reconstruction and while it’s not bad...your version would probably blow his out of the water. One of the problems is that he put it up at 29 FPS rather than 24 FPS.

I also absolutely LOVE your idea about leaving the entire film of Son of Godzilla intact with the international dub for the prologue and the American Titra dub for the remainder of the film. The international voices would only be heard at the beginning since those characters never appear in the film again after that scene.

Whatever you decide, I’m sure it’ll look fantastic!

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Gorka the Vampire wrote:Hi Again G,

Oh I wasn’t implying either that all the sources were bootlegs. Red did a great job on all his work, but unfortunately was compromised on some of the sources he could use since he did some of his reconstructions as long as three years ago. In my opinion, his Destroy All Monsters and his Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster look magnificent. Godzilla vs the Thing, Monster Zero and Son of Godzilla were good but weaker than the first two films. You’ve beautifully fixed Godzilla vs the Thing bc much better sources of the film have surfaced over the last year. I’m sure with your enormous talents, you’ll be able to do the same for Son of Godzilla and Monster Zero.

The AIP-TV version of The X from Outer Space is available on Internet Archive. You can type in The X from Outer Space Hd reconstruction Titra dub and you’ll find it. This fellow attempted an HD reconstruction and while it’s not bad...your version would probably blow his out of the water. One of the problems is that he put it up at 29 FPS rather than 24 FPS.

I also absolutely LOVE your idea about leaving the entire film of Son of Godzilla intact with the international dub for the prologue and the American Titra dub for the remainder of the film. The international voices would only be heard at the beginning since those characters never appear in the film again after that scene.

Whatever you decide, I’m sure it’ll look fantastic!
Oh no I'm not saying you were just don't want people thinking I'm saying things about his reconstructions that aren't true. And no I agree their destroy all monsters was my go to way to watch up until the criterion set came out and just sync it with the audio I ripped from my original media blasters disc. Their Ghidrah is also really impressive especially with the editing nightmare that is for how quick and often and reconfigured the movie is. Always watched it thst way but when i burnt it to a bluray it was just distracting all the macroblocking and compression artifacts would be at times. So would love to see them work with the better source but I might just try my hand at my own version this year just cuz the criterion disc is way better but I can work around most compression artifacts that pop up like I did with Godzilla vs the Thing.

And again thank you so much you are far too kind.

I'll have to check it out and see how it is then cuz I've been curious how the original dub was. Yeah that is weird to have it set to that frame rate.

Thanks I'll probably just go that route then. And would hurt to distinguish mine from the red menace by including that scene in full either.

I think it's pretty much at the moment narrowed down at this point to me doing Son of Godzilla, UPA Terror of Mechagodzilla, or doing a Destroy All Monsters next using the English export titles on the media blasters first bluray. I'll be sure to let you all know when I start my next reconstruction. As I'm hoping I can get some time this week to at least get everything ripped and anything I need to get upscaled all ready to go for when I start it.

MAX Studio
Ronin

Re: Frankenstein Conquers the World HD G-MAN Reconstruction Now Available

Post by MAX Studio »

Enjoyed this recon G! Thx again.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

MAX Studio wrote:Enjoyed this recon G! Thx again.
Glad you enjoyed it!

70sMonsterKid
Ronin

Post by 70sMonsterKid »

Fantastic job – Thanks so much for the time and love put into these reconstructions!

sam33
Ronin

Post by sam33 »

Hi G Man -
New here.
And that means I can't send or receive PM's unfortunately.

However, I am interested in being able to share some of these great reconstructions - I do have some of Red Menace's stuff, and it's a thrill to this old Monster kid who saw this in the theatre on first American release! I think it was on a double feature with TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD.

I have tried to make a few of these myself, but only at DVD res.
I first did GODZILLA VS. THE THING, then RODAN (whew!), and last ATRAGON.
All OK, but I really don't have the tools to do then at HD res.

SO IF there's some way I could get in touch, I'd be grateful.
Thanks!

SAM33

Godzilloide
Ronin

Post by Godzilloide »

Adam Frankenstein ammirite?