Son of Godzilla US TV version HD reconstruction AVAILABLE NOW

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Son of Godzilla US TV version HD reconstruction AVAILABLE NOW

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

The Son of Godzilla reconstruction is available now!

The 1080p HD reconstruction of Son of Godzilla's dubbed US TV version is completed and available to download! Send a private message for details.

Notes on this release:
  • The Toho transfer had its contrast and saturation boosted to alleviate its flat appearance; other sources were color-corrected to roughly match this source.
  • The original US version has only ever existed in 4:3 pan-and-scan, so no widescreen sources for the US title card or textless opening/ending exist. A capture of the 1997 Anchor Bay VHS was used for these portions of the film.
  • Numerous other shots throughout the film have frames missing, with reel changes suffering the worst. Some shots were replaced entirely using the 2004 TriStar DVD, others with the Blu-ray of All Monsters Attack, which reused some of the affected shots, and others had the missing frames reinstated using a roughly 16:9 copy of the French version of the film.
  • The original Walter Reade Organization logo is reinstated at the end, using the recreation featured in the Ghidrah reconstruction.
Original post:
Hello everyone, if you haven't been following what's going on on my blog, you've missed a good deal of flip-flopping on my schedule and planned releases. Basically, I've switched things up so that my current project, which I'm hoping to have out by Christmas, is going to be the HD reconstruction of Son of Godzilla's US version, dubbed by Titra/Titan and released to TV by Walter Reade-Sterling. I've got a really good VHS capture that I snatched ages ago for exactly this purpose, and I'm excited to finally be getting to work on it.

This won't be a 100% faithful reconstruction - the US version only exists in pan-and-scan, while this reconstruction will mostly be in full widescreen - but otherwise it'll be as accurate as I can make it. How to approach the opening is something I've given a great deal of thought to in the past; the US version features a unique title card, then plays the footage over which the Japanese title card and credits appeared, but without any text. There is no textless widescreen source, and it most likely isn't possible to stitch together a recreation of the textless widescreen shots from different sources (to say nothing of how awful it would probably look), so the opening will be presented in windowboxed 4:3 using the VHS capture, transitioning to the HD Japanese source and a widescreen aspect ratio as soon as the credits end. (The textless final shot, though, should be doable in widescreen - I'll most likely cover up the Japanese "owari" character using the VHS capture, and the copyright icon with the TriStar DVD.)

I've gotten most of the work done on the transition between sources/aspect ratios:

I'll probably perform a bit of color correction on the VHS capture to make the transition less conspicuous, but you get the idea.
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Son of Godzilla US TV version HD reconstruction

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Hope it comes out as good as your previous works. Good luck!
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

That actually looks really cool! Are you going to put the Walter Reade logo at the end?
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Hey that aspect ratio shift worked rather brilliantly!
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

ultrase7en
Samurai

Post by ultrase7en »

That AR shift looks really slick! As always can't wait to see the finished version.
Last edited by ultrase7en on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kore321
Yojimbo

Post by Kore321 »

Nice work can't wait for the finished product. Have fun!

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

That shift is seamless! Can't wait for this one!!
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:That actually looks really cool! Are you going to put the Walter Reade logo at the end?
Just realized I hadn’t answered your question - Yes, that logo will be at the end!

I’ve basically finished the reconstruction; I’ve just got to send it off to the person I’ve got rendering it for me and then get it uploaded and released. In the meantime I’ve got a couple things to show you all, including Video Collector’s Blu-ray covers!
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I've always look forward to Video Collector's Blu-ray covers!!!
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Here's a look at how I handled the last shot, which doesn't contain any "The End" title in the US version. I initially tried to recreate it in widescreen, but both methods I tried were a huge pain and neither really produced results I was happy with, so I figured I'd kind of bookend the movie by adding a similar shift to the one at the beginning.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Shokara
Yojimbo

Post by Shokara »

^ Works for me. In a perfect world we would've been able to recreate the entire US TV version, textless credits, ending, and all in widescreen HD. If this is the approach that yields the best results visually then so be it. I feel it's a nice theatrical trick, too. It's like this HD reconstruction is fully acknowledging that this was originally a 60's TV presentation, but right after the "opening credits" are done it magically draws back the stage curtains to give us a widescreen theatrical presentation. Then for the ending it closes the curtains again to bring us back to its old US TV self almost like a more literal bookend in several animated movies where they start and finish with a fairy tale storybook opening and closing. I can hardly wait to see this. This is an awesome holiday gift. Thanks. :D

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Is the Walter Reade logo at the end gonna be in 4:3 or 16:9?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:Is the Walter Reade logo at the end gonna be in 4:3 or 16:9?
I'll be using the same widescreen recreation of the logo I used for Ghidrah. I'd use the actual logo, but most versions I can find aren't terribly high quality.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Excuse me for asking, but has Video Collector finished the cover art for SON OF GODZILLA yet? The reconstruction is once again awesome!

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

He has! I'm gonna revise the OP and then I'll post the covers

Added in 35 minutes 33 seconds:
Re: Son of Godzilla US TV version HD reconstruction AVAILABLE NOW
Italian poster:

French poster:

Video Treasures VHS:

Disc art:
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Kore321
Yojimbo

Post by Kore321 »

Thank you Red for all these reconstructons. Very well done indeed.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Another great reconstruction! This was actually my first Godzilla movie, my mother rented it from the library and actually no joke told me that I should turn it off if it was too scary XD. Anyway, great job again!

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Oh my god, these covers are freaking breathtaking!

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:Oh my god, these covers are freaking breathtaking!
Yes they are! I LOVE that the video treasures cover was represented.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

morgoth wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:Oh my god, these covers are freaking breathtaking!
Yes they are! I LOVE that the video treasures cover was represented.
I really like that he's started doing covers based on the old VHS artwork since Monster Zero. Hell, he did two for Godzilla vs. the Thing. I've always enjoyed those covers but I could never be bothered to collect VHS tapes between not having much space for them and not having a VCR.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon