Godzilla: Omniverse [V.0.13 BETA Update]

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Kaiju Fan
Ronin

Re: Godzilla: Omniverse

Post by Kaiju Fan »

I've run into a few of the problems Infinity stated above, like characters just lying on the ground after being hit and the fight not being able to finish, and whenever I try to fight Death Ghidorah, the game crashes, though I'm not quite sure if that is its own glitch, or related to something else.

Not to sound like a broken record, but the biggest thing for me is still the team/ranking thing. I played as Godzilla 70's in Arcade mode, and in one match, fought 5(!) opponents before being killed. For whatever reason, at least in my experience, the team thing turns the fight into a Survival mode, which would be fine for an actual Survival mode, but basically means you're stuck in Arcade mode fighting a whole slew of opponents with one life bar and in one round, which is almost impossible. Not to mention, I could be doing really well against an opponent, and then their "partner" (for lack of a better term) rushes in out of nowhere, blasts me in the face with a beam that strips away my entire life bar, and then its back to Game Over again. I understand the rationale for wanting to balance things out, but I find that the random selection of monsters already does that, in a way: Sometimes you get ones that are weaker than you, but often, it's ones that are equal or above.

I really like a lot of what you've done here, and I think as you as progress, and work out a few of the kinks, and add more things, this is going to be an epic game, so definitely please continue. But there are certain things that are a bit of an issue, and definitely want to bring them to your attention.

Kaiju Fan
Ronin

Post by Kaiju Fan »

Ironcarnage101 wrote:Ah, also what do you mean by the newer monsters not being playable? Like I get I couldn't select them in the menu but why is that?
I think an interesting idea would be to have all the monsters available for play in the next release, and then, as stages and monsters are completed, release them as DLC on a Patreon page for a small amount, or for subscribers. Similar to how a lot of the big game companies already do with their releases. I have NO idea if that would be feasible for a project like this, though.

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

Some very useful input here. I'll address each item one-by-one.
Kaiju Fan wrote:NoName: Ah ok, thanks! Yeah, the ranking thing is the only thing that I dislike so far. It's fine if it is just a one-on-one fight (or if you're better at playing the game than I am, I suppose), but it is a bit problematic in certain fights. I was just playing the game again, as Godzilla 70's, and had to fight a trio of Flying Hedorah, Biollante, and Shin Godzilla, all with one life bar, and all in one round (for some reason, when you do a team battle, it only lasts one round and then it kicks you to the Game Over screen before trying again). It's essentially a Survival match at that point, which would be fine in that kind of setting, but makes it a bit difficult for me to progress through Arcade at times.

The imbalance issue will be addressed. The one item though, and maybe you'd like to suggest something, is with respect to the number of rounds. In strict 1v1, you get the classic best 2 of 3. But if there is even one additional monster, regardless of which team or pool, then the match is compressed to a single round. This is by design. My rationale is that team-based fights will take far too long to complete if there are too many monsters in one and the 2/3 round distribution is applied. I suppose this should become a game-play option, one for solo matches, and one for team matches.
Kaiju Fan wrote:Oh, and I did find a glitch - when you are fighting someone, and either abort the fight, or lose, and choose to return to the Battle Select screen, the game crashes when you try to load the next fight.
This issue was encountered and I attempted a last-ditch fix before release but, unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue so will need to go back to it.
Infinity wrote:I'm afraid there are one too many glitches and bugs with this public release and these must be corrected. I will try and point out as many as I can:

Bugs and Glitches.

1, No music for G54
Easy fix.
Infinity wrote:2, Several instances of game just hanging up
Could be a memory leak. I'll have to encounter it first though.
Infinity wrote:3, Several instances of empty pool slot errors (G54 vs SKG, G75 vs MKG and SKG vs G80s)
Will address this.
Infinity wrote:4, Several instances of the A.I hanging up or stuttering into a loop frenzy. Most notably Megalon, Moguera and G90s.
AI loops are an on-going issue because of how randomly they occur. Will look into those examples and try to correct them.
Infinity wrote:Important suggestions:

1, Adjust the grappling limit to allow grapple if grapple was missed or countered by the opponent. Also, reduce time for grapple to refill, as certain characters like Godzilla 60s and Godzilla 70s require it for fury in the midst of a close battle.
Excellent suggestions. Cool down for a missed grapple will be shortened (but not eliminated, otherwise one could keep spamming grabs), and push-backs will restore them fully. Characters whose furies are incorporated in their grapple will get faster cool downs if in rage mode.
Infinity wrote:2, Beam duration tends to be automatic for certain characters like G54. This needs to be entirely in the control of how long the player holds down the attack button.
Will change the maximum duration to be under player's control (G54 key example). However, for some, you still won't be able to stop during the first few initial moments after beam is fired. I don't agree with someone like G90 preparing to fire a beam and being allowed to just cancel it without an initial discharge. It looks weird and out of character. This doesn't apply to flame breaths though.
Infinity wrote:3, Beam attacks and other primary special attacks should be set to Heavy attack on button combinations, not Light attack. Its counter intuitive.
Disagree. If it's a primary special attack, then why should it not be set to your primary attack button which is the light attack? The heavy attack button intuitively feels like a secondary. Almost all direction + key press specials in this game operate on the light key. If a character has a secondary related attack, it may go to the secondary combination. But there is literally no special, as far as I can recall, that requires employing a heavy attack based combination, and where the light attack is not used. Either light attack gets used only, or light and heavy are used and both lead to different actions. Seems quite straight forward and intuitive to me. If I discover this rule being broken somewhere, I'll correct it.
Kaiju Fan wrote:
Ironcarnage101 wrote:Ah, also what do you mean by the newer monsters not being playable? Like I get I couldn't select them in the menu but why is that?
I think an interesting idea would be to have all the monsters available for play in the next release, and then, as stages and monsters are completed, release them as DLC on a Patreon page for a small amount, or for subscribers. Similar to how a lot of the big game companies already do with their releases. I have NO idea if that would be feasible for a project like this, though.

This is essentially the gist of why the characters are locked, but I prefer not to discuss this subject for the time being.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Kaiju Fan wrote:
YUZU emulator (switch emulator) does this on their patreon, so does cemu. its pretty common nowadays, then they release the version a week after the patreon early version.

Kaiju Fan
Ronin

Post by Kaiju Fan »

The imbalance issue will be addressed. The one item though, and maybe you'd like to suggest something, is with respect to the number of rounds. In strict 1v1, you get the classic best 2 of 3. But if there is even one additional monster, regardless of which team or pool, then the match is compressed to a single round. This is by design. My rationale is that team-based fights will take far too long to complete if there are too many monsters in one and the 2/3 round distribution is applied. I suppose this should become a game-play option, one for solo matches, and one for team matches.
I think the solo matches could be the classic "best 2 out of 3", while the team matches are one round and that's it, as you said. That makes sense for team matches, but is too quick otherwise.

This is essentially the gist of why the characters are locked, but I prefer not to discuss this subject for the time being
Gotcha. If you do decide to do a Patreon, I'm totally on board as a monthly donor!

Also, a small suggestion: For Kong's Faro Island level, why not use the Main Title theme from King Kong vs Godzilla? Or the battle theme from the climax of the film at Mt. Fuji. Either one would be most welcome. Maybe use King Ghidorah's classic theme for the Planet X level?
Last edited by Kaiju Fan on Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

airforce111 wrote:
Kaiju Fan wrote:
YUZU emulator (switch emulator) does this on their patreon, so does cemu. its pretty common nowadays, then they release the version a week after the patreon early version.
Interesting info. Thanks for sharing!
Kaiju Fan wrote:
I think the solo matches could be the classic "best 2 out of 3", while the team matches are one round and that's it, as you said. That makes sense for team matches, but is too quick otherwise.

Will set the round limit options in any case. Good to have those extra options.
Kaiju Fan wrote: Gotcha. If you do decide to do a Patreon, I'm totally on board as a monthly donor!
Appreciate the sentiment!
Kaiju Fan wrote:Also, a small suggestion: For Kong's Faro Island level, why not use the Main Title theme from King Kong vs Godzilla? Or the battle theme from the climax of the film at Mt. Fuji. Either one would be most welcome. Maybe use King Ghidorah's classic theme for the Planet X level?
Good idea and would surely fit. But it's a preference of mine to use film scores solely for the Godzillas. Might possibly change this approach, but for now, only the G's get their film scores.

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

Time for another round of bugs and glitch reporting.

If there is one glitch that I have the most problem with, is how often either the player or opponent deactivate/freeze unexpectedly. Sometimes it even hangs up the game and prevents the player from restarting.
- Ability to crouch tends to be disabled randomly at times.
- Showa MG tends to freeze more often than not when he is turn around while executing a maneuver.

Other minor issues:

- Both Heisei Godzilla's transform into Biollante when they use their dash forward attack.
- Showa Ghidorah's low powered gravity beam stops working after first volley. The animation is there but no beam.
- Sound volume for kaiju like G80s and Heisei MG are barely audible. Increase loudness.
- Showa MG's finger missiles can glitch out in where they spawn when the mech lands from hovering state. The spawn point is also below the origin other times, but I don't know what action leads to that.
- Showa MG's finger missiles can't aim up or down.
- Rodan's rotation axis is messed up when he defeats an enemy by using the downwards swoop attack.
- Beam attacks hit an invisible wall when player fires the beam while Zilla is burrowing.
- A visible eyeball generating the fire in G54's fury attack.

glitches that happen less frequently:

- Godzilla 80's fury attack failing in alpha rendering the nuclear spirals emitted from his body (they have black boxes around them).
- Showa Mg's salvo fury fires off in the wrong direction to where he is aiming.
- Ground alignment glitches up at times.
- Unexpected glitch of Kong and the player freezing and shifting to the left of the screen after Kong is tagged in and executes the pummeling attack.
- There was one instance of Godzilla 70s switching to Showa Ghidorah's sprites in battle. I don't know what triggered it though.
Also, a small suggestion: For Kong's Faro Island level, why not use the Main Title theme from King Kong vs Godzilla? Or the battle theme from the climax of the film at Mt. Fuji. Either one would be most welcome. Maybe use King Ghidorah's classic theme for the Planet X level?

No, I disagree. Not all of Akira Ifikube's tracks are a master piece and some of them won't feel right in a fighting game. That being said, you can replace the music files in the music folder with those that you like. All you got to do is download the music off of youtube, convert it into an ogg file, rename it to the track you want to replace and replace that track in the music folder.
Last edited by Infinity on Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

^ Thanks again for the comprehensive bug report.
Infinity wrote:Time for another round of bugs and glitch reporting.

If there is one glitch that I have the most problem with, is how often either the player or opponent deactivate/freeze unexpectedly. Sometimes it even hangs up the game and prevents the player from restarting.
Just to clarify, is this the same problem you mentioned earlier about the game hanging up? Basically, when you say the game hang ups, do you mean that the characters get frozen but the game itself is still running, or the entire application hangs up? Or both?

A few of the issues you mention were known, some it seems are stubborn, and there's quite a few I was not aware of so it's good that you've reported them here. In any case, will go through them all and resolve them. Just hope they can be replicated without too much trouble.
Last edited by _MHG_ on Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

Just to clarify, is this the same problem you mentioned earlier about the game hanging up? Basically, when you say the game hang ups, do you mean that the characters get frozen but the game itself is still running, or the entire application hangs up? Or both?
the characters get frozen but the game itself is still running. I don't think I have had any experience in which the entire application hangs up.... yet.
A few of the issues you mention were known, some it seems are stubborn, and there's quite a few I was not aware of so it's good that you've reported them here. In any case, will go through them all and resolve them. Just hope they can be replicated without too much trouble.
Well I hope those aren't serious, considering that the game is otherwise gold. A few other suggestions:

1, Increase the Star Falcon's health by 5%.
2, Increase speed of Ground Moguera's descent to the ground after separation by 5%.
3, For G70's, I think its best that the enemy is thrown to the ground at the end of his combo.
4, Some of the moves are missing in character move list, like MKG's leaping take down attack, G54's dozer slam or HKG's dive kick.
5, HKG has a error on his character select description (an extra "storm on fury).
Last edited by Infinity on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

Infinity wrote:
the characters get frozen but the game itself is still running. I don't think I have had any experience in which the entire application hangs up.... yet.
Ah, that's a relief. So no memory leaks. Shouldn't be since I'm pretty sure all potential memory leak sources were plugged properly.
Infinity wrote:
Well I hope those aren't serious, considering that the game is otherwise gold. A few other suggestions:

1, Increase the Star Falcon's health by 5%.
2, Increase speed of Ground Moguera's descent to the ground after separation by 5%.
3, For G70's, I think its best that the enemy is thrown to the ground at the end of his combo.
4, Some of the moves are missing in character move list, like MKG's leaping take down attack, G54's dozer slam or HKG's dive kick.
5, HKG has a error on his character select description (an extra "storm on fury).
Got it. Added to the list.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

We often see mechs like Mechagodzilla and Moguera in undergrounds hanger bays but sadly no fight has taken there in a movie. Can we get that as a fighting stage?

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

Spoiler:
^ Possibly with MV MG if we get to see its "holding" area.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

P l e a s e
T a g
S p o i l e r s s s s s s s s
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

August 2020 Update:

1) Major items:
. V.0.11a released. See op.
. Supporter build (s-build) is now live along with public build (p-build).
. Various bugs fixed.
. Added team selection module (solo team + joint).
. Rank sorting system rewritten to be much more streamlined than old system (works now by "topping" AI characters' total rank just above player's cumulative rank).
. Added option to turn rank sorting off.
. At this time, new character content is temporarily on hold; current priority is to achieve "peak functionality" or at least come as close as possible to achieving it. Rationale - this will effectively setup a proper baseline on top of which new content can be added, negating the need to retrofit future content. Goal is to get functional features ready before end of August and roll out as base 0.12 - will see if it gets done by then.

2) Not relevant for players w/rt current build, but important nonetheless:
. Completed prototyping for split-screen gameplay to accommodate local multiplayer, and gamepad inputs (XInput only, no plans for DirectInput support currently) - just needs to be implemented in actual project now. Note: split-screen will be an option only, and is mostly useful for coop-style gameplay; the classic "boundaries" system (especially w/rt versus) will not be replaced. Somewhat obvious, but still thought it might be worth mentioning.
. Completed in-game unit tracking system to allow precise tracking of player/ai particulars (e.g. character rank, player#, palette etc.). This was actually needed for the reworked rank sorter.

3) Minor items worth mentioning:
. Adjusted overall character stats to be more reasonable, reduced outliers.
. Added "energy reserves" ammo for G80s, G90s and BG.
. MGI can walk and fire missiles simultaneously (straight only though).
. Destroyah can now use his swarm ability in team matches (was restricted to using it only in 1-vs-1 before).

As always, bugs are likely to still crop-up, but hopefully there should not be any frequently occurring and game-breaking bugs. Still, for any bugs that come up with 0.11a, note that their debugging will likely be deferred to 0.12 - (a 0.11b is unlikely).

Should be it for now. More to come.

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

September, 2020 Update:

Major items:

. Versus mode added - classic + teams.
. Coop mode added.
. Controller support added - XInput only, two gamepads max.
. Sneak Peak file updated to include supporters' pup picks.

Minor items:

. Various bugs fixed.
. Anguirus and Megalon can burrow.
. Mothra's sprites updated.
. Few additional animations added for some characters.

Link updated.

EDIT: Fixed some leftover debugging items that were missed. File re-uploaded.
Last edited by _MHG_ on Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSqualo
Ronin

Post by TheSqualo »

Will G2014 work as an alt of G2019 or is it going to be another character of the game? Also you are doing a great job on the game!

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

Hi, yes G14 is not a priority character at this time, but if he gets made, he'd be grouped with G19 as an alternate variant of the character in the select screen. Behaviour would also be a bit different.

Ironcarnage101
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ironcarnage101 »

How likely are Kiryugoji and Varan to be added?

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

No real way of guaging likelihood of inclusion for either. Depends on if they get picked by supporters. KiryuGoji is intended to be added at the same time as G2K due to high similarity of appearance of both, but only through collective voting decision. Can't say when this will start.

Varan has the same chance of getting in as any other minor character - just depends on if he gets picked. No fixed interval for the selection process, can happen at any time.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Edit: wrong thread, ignore.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP Evan.