The Return of Godzilla EOST HD Reconstruction AVAILABLE NOW

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Servanov
Monsterland Worker

The Return of Godzilla EOST HD Reconstruction AVAILABLE NOW

Post by Servanov »

The Return of Godzilla (1984) English On Screen Text HD Recreation-
In the style of omgitsgodzilla, I will be recreating the English On Screen Text (EOST) international version of The Return of Godzilla. The final product will be in 720p HD, with a very good bitrate.

Sources (so far)-
Official Kraken Blu-Ray of The Return of Godzilla
SD capture of the MonstersHD TV broadcast of Godzilla 1985
German LD
Carlton VHS (for textless shots and color reference)
Toho VHS (for color reference)

I will be using DVD copy of the PAL International version from a UK Pal VHS from Carlton as the reference. In the near future, I also hope to use a DVD of the German version, which utilizes a textless version which will aid in removing many of the Japanese titles. I already have some shots completed, using some techniques I know from film restoration, utilizing surrounding frames and custom mattes to remove text.

Edit: The final product is complete! It fits on a DVD DL and plays in BD players. It has 4 audio tracks:
1. English Mono 1.0
2. Japanese Theatrical Stereo Mix 2.0
3. Japanese Home Video Stereo Mix 2.0
4. Servanov Commentary Mono 1.0

The full file is 8.4 Gigs, fits on a Dual Layer BD, and a full color correction was done that, in many cases, was on a shot-by-shot basis.

Here are some screenshots:

Here's some amazing cover art by VideoCollector on OT.com:

The full range of cover art options are available in the download. Thanks, enjoy! PM me for the link.
Last edited by Servanov on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Return of Godzilla EOST HD Recreation

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Oh My God, YES!!!!! Are you trying to use the German DVD from Marketing Film?
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Yes, that's the one. I tried to search for it on the German ebay, then realized I didn't have a German account. Then I realized I could just buy one from the US ebay and it would be much easier.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I have a link for it from Amazon.de:
https://www.amazon.de/Godzilla-Die-R%C3 ... s+monsters
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It's worth considering that there are apparently some errors in Kraken's recreated English dub track; the synchronization of some of the lines is apparently off and there are a number of miscellaneous vocalizations (breaths, grunts) that are missing. If you're going for maximum accuracy, you might consider either using the mono mix from the VHS (probably a good idea anyway, as it also includes the death scream), editing the dialogue track on Kraken's mix (it's a 5.1 track so this is possible), or simply including both tracks as audio options.

(PS - Very cool that you're doing this. I might have done it myself eventually, but I appreciate you sparing me from having to listen to that dub over and over. :lol:)
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Oh wow. I never noticed that. Interesting.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I didn't actually notice it myself; Space Hunter M, who's got a better ear for these things and a lot more patience for the export dub, has posted about these errors before. There are even a couple of examples on his YouTube channel (as well as a couple of neat experiments with the 5.1 track such as adding different music or isolating the dubbed crowd voices when Godzilla attacks the powerplant - that last one's absolutely hilarious).
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

That's cool if anyone wants to add Ifukube music to the movie. I would, and I have good ideas which cues to put in certain scene.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

I made a little video showing how I recreated the Toho Eiga Logo.
https://mega.nz/#!05pDgbhQ!FfEPgagClRyk ... 6N2uTblPSo

Added in 29 minutes 1 second:
I'm having a hard time finding a reasonably priced DVD of the Marketing Films release. There are only two on ebay that I can find, and both are outlandishly priced in terms of shipping. Remember, any and all sources are accepted.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Your Reacreation is AMAZING!!!!

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Thank you! One thing I didn't record in that video was that I applied a layer of grain to the titles.

Added in 10 minutes 35 seconds:
Here's the title card also, which has the grain layer already. It's a pretty large file size for an image. However, this is the PNG version. The version I will be using for the final product will be in the TIFF format in 6k (for the push-in), to ensure the highest possible quality.
http://imgur.com/hErsNRB

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

I'd recommend asking SpaceHunterM about this. It's probably higher quality, and might make things easier for you.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Re ... n/id/52882
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

How are you going to achieve the effect of the title zooming out and showing the lava inside.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I'd recommend asking SpaceHunterM about this. It's probably higher quality, and might make things easier for you.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Re ... n/id/52882
I have spoken with SpaceHunter about this, he is the one who recommended the German DVD to me.

Added in 2 minutes 35 seconds:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:How are you going to achieve the effect of the title zooming out and showing the lava inside.
The International version actually does not use the lava background fade in the title card like the Japanese version. It actually just zooms in on the red text and then cuts to the lava footage.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Oh, OK. Take your time and do your best because you're doing a good job so far. :huge:

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Finally was able to order the German DVD! Thanks for the link, GodzillaBurgh, or else I would have paid about $30 for the DVD itself and $40 for the shipping. Thanks to you, I was able to make the entire purchase, shipping and all, for $12! It is coming from Germany, and Amazon said it should arrive around February 20-21. Until then, I will be getting as much done as I can with the sources I have.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

No problem, we Godzilla fans stick together for each other. GODZILLA FAN LIVES MATTER!!!!!! :huge:

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Say, does anyone know why that DVD would be billed as a "Directors Cut"?
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Say, does anyone know why that DVD would be billed as a "Directors Cut"?
I guess so it won't be confused with GODZILLA 1985.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Yeah, probably the same way the Kraken Blu-Ray says "the uncut and uncensored original epic."

Added in 3 minutes 55 seconds:
I also forgot to mention that the previous releases in Germany consisted of an edited down version that ran at only 83 minutes, which is shorter than Godzilla 1985.