The Return of Godzilla EOST HD Reconstruction AVAILABLE NOW

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Return of Godzilla EOST HD Recreation

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Oh wow, I wonder why edit down these movies?
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Servanov wrote: I also forgot to mention that the previous releases in Germany consisted of an edited down version that ran at only 83 minutes, which is shorter than Godzilla 1985.
That's probably it. If the DVD's uncut, it is the original directors idea after all.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

The recreated titles look great! One thing I tend to do to help the digital titles blend in a little better is I apply a slight blur to them, just so they don't look unnaturally sharp and conspicuously digital. Not much, just a Gaussian blur with a radius of 1 or 2 pixels (in terms of the size of the video frame - if your images are larger than the dimensions of the video, you'd need to increase the radius to achieve the same effect). It goes a long way.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:The recreated titles look great! One thing I tend to do to help the digital titles blend in a little better is I apply a slight blur to them, just so they don't look unnaturally sharp and conspicuously digital. Not much, just a Gaussian blur with a radius of 1 or 2 pixels (in terms of the size of the video frame - if your images are larger than the dimensions of the video, you'd need to increase the radius to achieve the same effect). It goes a long way.
Good point. They look amazing, but it'll look too sharp, so apply a slight blur. :huge:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

I took your advice and applied a blur pass, and it definitely made a difference! It looks much more like a print now, after the blurring and the grain addition, which is the HolyGrain free sample ('cause I'm a cheap-o) that omgitsgodzilla uses for projects. Now that I have to wait for the German DVD to ship, I'm going to work on the audio options. My intended options are going to be:

-International English Dub (1.0 Mono Original, from Carlton PAL VHS)
-International English Dub (5.1 Upmix, from Kraken Blu-Ray)
-Japanese Dialogue (5.1 Upmix, from Kraken Blu-Ray)
-Japanese Dialogue (2.0 Theatrical, from DVD)
-Japanese Dialouge (2.0 uses "B Mix effects, from Drama LP)
-Isolated Score (2.0)
-Commentary from the creator, talking about how some of it was done, and also about the film in general

I definitely don't expect this to be some 5 gig 720p, low-bitrate encode, I plan on it being like Harmy's Despecialized Edition, with a very good bitrate. I predict that the final render will be about 7-10 gigabytes in 720p.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Looking forward to it! Generally the way I handle working with different audio sources (making sure they're properly synchronized) is using earbuds with one track panned completely left and one completely right. If you have them synced just right, it should sound more or less like a mono track; at least for the elements the two tracks have in common. Granted, I'm usually working with mono audio tracks; it might not work as well with the stereo and surround mixes.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Servanov wrote:I took your advice and applied a blur pass, and it definitely made a difference! It looks much more like a print now, after the blurring and the grain addition, which is the HolyGrain free sample ('cause I'm a cheap-o) that omgitsgodzilla uses for projects. Now that I have to wait for the German DVD to ship, I'm going to work on the audio options. My intended options are going to be:

-International English Dub (1.0 Mono Original, from Carlton PAL VHS)
-International English Dub (5.1 Upmix, from Kraken Blu-Ray)
-Japanese Dialogue (5.1 Upmix, from Kraken Blu-Ray)
-Japanese Dialogue (2.0 Theatrical, from DVD)
-Japanese Dialouge (2.0 uses "B Mix effects, from Drama LP)
-Isolated Score (2.0)
-Commentary from the creator, talking about how some of it was done, and also about the film in general

I definitely don't expect this to be some 5 gig 720p, low-bitrate encode, I plan on it being like Harmy's Despecialized Edition, with a very good bitrate. I predict that the final render will be about 7-10 gigabytes in 720p.
Will the commentary be subtitled? Because I would LOVE to hear Nakano in his own words about working on the film and learning more about the "Cybot Godzilla". :)

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I think he meant he'd be recording a commentary discussing the reconstruction. I've toyed with the idea myself but never really bothered.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

FloorMat116
Ronin

Post by FloorMat116 »

For the newly-initiated Godzilla fan, will you explain what is different about the EOST version of the film?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I think it's just the visuals. EOST stands for "English on-screen text," meaning the credits, location titles and so on are in English.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Yeah, I meant a commentary about the reconstruction by me. Also, I just realized my video editor only exports with 4 different tracks, so I'll probably include the other 4 in with the download, and viewers can add the tracks with VLC or whatever they use.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Oh cool, I would LOVE to hear about it's done!!! Go for it. You know what, omgitsgodzilla should do something like that for his next projects. :huge:

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

I have finally done all the shots I can do with the MonstersHD copy. There are only about 7 or 8 shots (not including the scenes in which characters speak in languages other than Japanese, which will probably be a big pain) left. Those are the shots that are either not included in the American 1985 cut, or are shortened, or covered by English text. One thing I noticed while getting the shots cut and edited, is the vast amount of edits. The scene where the Russian captain goes onto the ship and some young guy talks to him is about 50 minutes in the Japanese cut, and 24 minutes into the American version. This project also made me realize some of the things 1985 did better, mainly the pacing, which I think it improved in 1985. Also, in the Japanese version in the scene in the Russian sub, there is no music, but in 1985, they place music in the scene, and makes it much more tense of a scene. The funny thing is that the music which helped that scene be much more frightening was one of he borrowed tracks from another movie, Def-Con 4. I have seen the film once, and it's not something to write home about. It really feels more like a TV movie than anything, probably the best part of it is the music. Anyways, I have only a few shots left once the German DVD arrives, so the release can be expected around early to mid March.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Take your time, man. You're ging to do great!!!

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Since I'm waiting for the DVD to arrive (It will be here in about two weeks), I thought that I'd ask all of you what projects you would like to see next. I'm thinking the same sort of thing but for Godzilla vs. Biollante. Tell me what you think!

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Godzilla Vs Biollante sounds like a good idea.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

DEFINITELY Godzilla vs. Biollante!!!! :huge:

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Biollante would be great! Maybe you could get your hands on the LD audio that Echo Bridge wasn't able to use?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Actually, what I read was that Echo Bridge used the LD for the English audio, but I'm not sure if that's true. I am going to buy the LD released by HBO (which isn't just for this project, it would be cool to own in general). If I do get it, since I do have an LD capture setup, using the LD for audio is definitely a possible option.

Added in 2 minutes 49 seconds:
With the exception of the non-Japanese dialogue scenes, Biollante generally has less Japanese text than ROG. I think the only Godzilla film with more JOST than Rog is definitely Shin. Also, since the opening credits are from textless scenes in ROG, that will be very easy to make textless. The only hard thing to make textless would be the dialogue scenes (which there are considerably fewer than in ROG) and the end credits.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I hope that if you do Biollante, you can put the International Title Credits back in. It was rather lazy for Kraken Releasing and Echo Bridge to use the Japanese titles when there is a non-Generic English International title available for each film.