Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Best and Worst Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Image Battra by Gugenheim98

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:35 pm Image Battra by Gugenheim98
The imago looks really cool!
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Taku has just returned to Godzilla: Demon Core, revamping his redesign of the Big G! I haven't seen the original version in a while but I can tell it's a lot more Showa-esque this time around.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Love it
He Jock it Made of Steel

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

On the topic or Re-Redesigns, Gugenheim's done a pretty drastic redesign of his version of Godzilla:

https://www.deviantart.com/gugenheim98/ ... -926397430

https://www.deviantart.com/gugenheim98/ ... -926397891

Original for comparison:

https://www.deviantart.com/gugenheim98/ ... -860129452

Definitely prefer the redo.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

While I do think it's a big upgrade, I can't really say I like it. The brain-to-snout decline is way too steep and the skin swirlings are a bit much.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:10 pm While I do think it's a big upgrade, I can't really say I like it. The brain-to-snout decline is way too steep and the skin swirlings are a bit much.
I like the snout, feels crocodilian.

The swirls are actually really cool, I think they’re the best part of this redesign.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I like the original better to be honest.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Yeah, the swirling just looks WAY too much like it's trying to be a Pacific Rim kaiju. And I will never understand the facicination with giving an upward pointed chest spike, and small razor-like spines on the shoulders. Effectively, this Godzilla can't look down and the moment anything grabs his head from behind and forces it down, his chin is going to be impaled. But I do like the head, spines and general body shape. Fix the PR wannabe swirls and the chest spike/shoulder spine things and this would be one of the better "sleekzillas" that I've seen.

But here's some bad shit curtesy of a Discord server!

Here's their Megaguirus, which would be kinda neat if they didn't just color her as a generic bug.

This artist seems to be another in a long line of artists that just can't resist trying to make the monsters more realistic while simultaneously making them even more unrealistic.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I don't know if I'd say they are really going for a more realistic look? Moving away from man in the suit posture, sure, but realistic, I don't think so personally.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:28 pm This artist seems to be another in a long line of artists that just can't resist trying to make the monsters more realistic while simultaneously making them even more unrealistic.
How do you take away "this is an attempt at realism" from Red Alone with full-on bird legs, a bug with teeth, and a gar-headed chicken thing? I simply do not understand.

Added in 1 minute 32 seconds:
Oh, and by the way, the artist is Taku/@Yotakuboi on Twitter.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:41 pm I don't know if I'd say they are really going for a more realistic look? Moving away from man in the suit posture, sure, but realistic, I don't think so personally.
Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:41 pm I don't know if I'd say they are really going for a more realistic look? Moving away from man in the suit posture, sure, but realistic, I don't think so personally.
Just look at the attempts to make Titanosaurus a typical spinosaurus but with a barracuda head. Gorosaurus is just a generic dinosaur... with a fish head. Megaguirus has lost anything that even made her look anything less like a generic bug.

Yes, JJ is the only one that isn't trying to force realism with the design, but then turning him into a bug-themed toku superhero... Man, never seen that before. There isn't a whole franchise dedicated to bug... face... Kamen Rider. The bird legs are just plain dumb. Art is great, however. Designs are trash. Two things I think A LOT of people get confused when looking at fan redesigns.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I know I probably wont change your mind, but I don't think those descriptions are being fair. Titanosaurus' body is not just a spinosaurus, it has the original tail fins, no arms a la kamata kun, and a fish face. That's not being realistic, thats pulling from multiple sources from nature, which was often how the oldschool kaiju were designed.

You might be interested in the smaller form JJ, which is much more standard, the large form was purposefully different to be an homage to Jet Red Alone (fixed typo).

Resized Image

by the way someone did fanart of the demoncore godzilla and its pretty sick

Resized Image
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:24 pm I know I probably wont change your mind, but I don't think those descriptions are being fair. Titanosaurus' body is not just a spinosaurus, it has the original tail fins, no arms a la kamata kun, and a fish face. That's not being realistic, thats pulling from multiple sources from nature, which was often how the oldschool kaiju were designed.
I wouldn't argue any of that as a good redesign for Titanosaurus, but alas.
You would be interested though in the smaller form JJ, which is much more standard, the large form was purposefully different to be an homage to Jet Alone.
So its a homage to a homage to itself.

I don't even see how it looks like Jet Alone.

Quote of the Year:

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:30 pm

My bad, that was a typo, I meant Red Alone

He Jock it Made of Steel

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:32 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:30 pm

My bad, that was a typo, I meant Red Alone

If it makes you feel any better, I made the exact same mistake.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:28 pm But here's some bad poop curtesy of a Discord server!

[]https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... nknown.png[/img]
[
That Shin Jaguar... is actually ridiculously cool. Really great blending of Red Alone and JJ.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:59 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:28 pm But here's some bad poop curtesy of a Discord server!

[]https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... nknown.png[/img]
[
That Shin Jaguar... is actually ridiculously cool. Really great blending of Red Alone and JJ.
Yeah, Shin Jaguar is easily one of my favorite Demon Core redesigns.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I really like demon core mogeura

Man I wish this was a comic book series
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:28 pm Yeah, the swirling just looks WAY too much like it's trying to be a Pacific Rim kaiju. And I will never understand the facicination with giving an upward pointed chest spike, and small razor-like spines on the shoulders. Effectively, this Godzilla can't look down and the moment anything grabs his head from behind and forces it down, his chin is going to be impaled. But I do like the head, spines and general body shape. Fix the PR wannabe swirls and the chest spike/shoulder spine things and this would be one of the better "sleekzillas" that I've seen.

But here's some bad poop curtesy of a Discord server!

Here's their Megaguirus, which would be kinda neat if they didn't just color her as a generic bug.

This artist seems to be another in a long line of artists that just can't resist trying to make the monsters more realistic while simultaneously making them even more unrealistic.

The artist is definitely talented that's for sure, but... yeah, I'm not a fan of these designs. Their Mothra, Rodan, and Baragon are pretty decent though.

Definitely talented, but I say 202Vincent is still the current King in kaiju redesigns.