Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Best and Worst Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:17 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:07 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:24 pm ^^^
Thank you guys for your feedback I really do appreciate it, i’m currently drawing Anguirus and thinking of doing Rodan. I’ll show you guys Anguirus Before I do Rodan but as of right now I’m currently confused on which I should do with Rodan, I know you guys are tired of seeing Rodan Portrayed as a pterosaur so I might do a design that looks more like the original design in a way. I will like you guys to give out suggestions on what should I do with Rodan, I really would appreciate that

Added in 2 hours 27 minutes 44 seconds:
Image Anguirus by Me (Thatguy)
Any thoughts or Criticism?
Looks solid, although I'd recommend adding his fangs back. They've been a part of his character since the beginning and he just kinda looks like a gator without em.
So like this
Yeah, like that.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:26 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:17 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:07 pm

Looks solid, although I'd recommend adding his fangs back. They've been a part of his character since the beginning and he just kinda looks like a gator without em.
So like this
Yeah, like that.
Great, thanks for the feedback man, But Can you help me with something

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Trying to make Rodan look like an accurate Pterosaur works about as good as making Godzilla look like a real theropod dinosaur. I learned that from Singular Point. My years of seeing fan-based depictions of Godzilla and a Synapsid has given me an idea. Specifically, why not do something similar with Rodan's origins? Instead of making him a pterosaur per say, why not categorize him as another extinct clade, namely Parareptilia?

For those of you who don't know, parareptilia is a side branch of reptiles that split from the rest at the end of the Carboniferous. They died out at the Triassic/Jurassic boundary. Why not have Rodan be a late-surviving representative at this particular group? Particularly a species that developed flight.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed May 11, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:20 pm ^Trying to make Rodan look like an accurate Pterosaur works about as good as making Godzilla look like a real theropod dinosaur. I learned that from Singular Point. My years of seeing fan-based depictions of Godzilla and a Synapsid has given me an idea. Specifically, why not do something similar with Rodan's origins? Instead of making him a pterosaur per say, why not categorize him as another extinct clade, namely Parareptilia?

For those of you who don't know, parareptilia is a side branch of reptiles that split from the rest at the end of the Carboniferous. They died out at the Triassic/Jurassic boundary. Why not have Rodan be a late-surviving representative at this particular group? Particularly a species that developed flight.
But… looking at pictures doesn’t tell me why they would fit as Rodan? Godzilla has been reimagined as a synapsid based on Godzilla’s own anatomy. Rodan is a pterosaur at heart.
For Emperor and Empire!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Godzillas anatomy is sensible for a synapsid, but I feel like, while pterosaur inspired obviously, Rodan differs quite a bit from a pterosaur anatomically. For one, he is quite bulky, something you wouldn't see in a pterosaur. He also has a very bird like beak and face shape, in most incarnations. Now obviously if he is a very derived pterosaur you could see some of these traits as possible, but honestly, if you want to do something crazy with it, do it. Hell, maybe Rodan is a highly derived Yi Qi. That could make sense, given its a little bit less spindly and lanky than a pterosaur. If you are going to ground your redesigns in scientific accuracy, id rather you do it that way than straight up raptorization.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Thu May 12, 2022 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:10 am Godzillas anatomy is sensible for a synapsid, but I feel like, while pterosaur inspired obviously, Rodan differs quite a bit from a pterosaur anatomically. For one, he is quite bulky, something you wouldn't see in a pterosaur. He also has a very bird like beak and face shape, in most incarnations. Now obviously if he is a very derived pterosaur you could see some of these traits as possible, but honestly, if you want to do something crazy with it, do it. Hell, maybe Rodan is a highly derived Yi Qi. That could make sense, given its a little bit less spindly and lanky than a pterosaur. If you are going to ground your redesigns in scientific accuracy, id rather you do it that way than straight up raptorization.
Ever heard of convergent evolution?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu May 12, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Yes. Thats actually what I was implying there, that rodan could have convergently evolved to be pterosaur like

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Alex Gayhart, writer of All Your Ruins, has provided yet another take on Godzilla. I can't really say much with that frontal quadrupedal view but it looks better than what I remember his previous redesign being.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:49 pm Alex Gayhart, writer of All Your Ruins, has provided yet another take on Godzilla. I can't really say much with that frontal quadrupedal view but it looks better than what I remember his previous redesign being.
I do like the design is just I’d rather have Godzilla to be on two legs rather than be quadrupedal

Added in 1 hour 24 minutes 40 seconds:
Hey guys I’m currently doing the Rodan redesign I only through the head but I would like to have some suggestions on what do you guys want

Do you wanna design those closely resembles pterosaur shape or a more humanoid shape like Showa and Final wars

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

closer to the source material is better

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:49 pm Alex Gayhart, writer of All Your Ruins, has provided yet another take on Godzilla. I can't really say much with that frontal quadrupedal view but it looks better than what I remember his previous redesign being.
Looks like he’s from an anime.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

OK I have some time to think about on things I said on this thread, I was a too harsh on a lot of redesigns so I give my apology to anyone I put shame on. That goes to you too Kaijuboi i’m sorry that I was way too harsh on your redesigns. From now on I’ll be a lot more nicer to people’s redesigns.
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat May 14, 2022 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:11 pm Image by Me Thatguy
Any thoughts or criticisms?
Controversial opinion, but I like this a lot. It's a bit creepy and unnerving in the same way the original was.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I found this interpretation of the Space Amoeba interesting. Essentially combining traits of Kaiju it mutated and taking a physical form of its own with it.
https://www.deviantart.com/atomickaiju5 ... -875672489

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:36 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:11 pm Image by Me Thatguy
Any thoughts or criticisms?
Controversial opinion, but I like this a lot. It's a bit creepy and unnerving in the same way the original was.
Thank you for feedback about Hedorah

Added in 2 minutes 49 seconds:
Rise of the Fallen King: Rodan

Any thoughts or criticism about this Redesign
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun May 15, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Here's a great Chandora redesign, courtesy of @shichite_san on Twitter.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

This attempt on making a Shin Bemular is weird... but it's the type of weird that I can jive with.
By MUGI30007073

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:12 pm This attempt on making a Shin Bemular is weird... but it's the type of weird that I can jive with.
By MUGI30007073
Matches the style of the movie.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Another Shin-style redesign of an Ultraman kaiju, this time of Magular!
By よう (@19990915yo)

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:22 am Another Shin-style redesign of an Ultraman kaiju, this time of Magular!
By よう (@19990915yo)
I know next to nothing about Ultraman, but this looks pretty badass.