Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Best and Worst Kaiju Redesigns

Post by LegendZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:25 pm I think there is plenty of potential for a good design, if you just drop the silly "this is biologically accurate" type stuff. Its unnecessary. These creatures could never exist anyway.
I've got to hand it to you, I think you perfected the legs and hips. I will try to get mine to match yours. On the other hand, since you gave me an artist to artist shout out, let me give you one in return. We all have different ideas, tastes and preferences. I understand that going the whole speculative biology route isn't your preferred route for re-imagining Godzilla, but it is for a lot of people, including myself. I am more than willing to take some of your tips and guidelines, but other creative decisions I'm going to stand by. Allow me to quote fellow user Gomi on the stance of applying speculative biology to kaiju. The following is a response he made towards LSD Jellyfish on my Synapsid Godzilla thread and the following words reflect how I feel :
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:03 pm
As a science enthusiast since birth, giving Godzilla and co. some halfway decent attempts at a scientific underpinnings has the opposite effect for me as it does you. Anyone can go "oh it's a giant monster that can't be explained by science," and indeed most media does, or gives it some vague radiation- or nuclear-based origin. Trying to make your monster a believably functioning organism is a huge undertaking, and I appreciate the stuff that does try to do that most because that work is hard, and if done right the result is a creature that feels like it could really jump off the screen and exist in our world. Real life animals are incredibly complex and we're discovering new things about them constantly, we just found out platypuses glow blue under UV light for crying out loud! The more we learn, the more amazing even the creatures most people disregard as "boring" prove to be, and I don't mind a bit of that getting in my Godzilla.

As a matter of fact, I'm often disappointed when I see a new creature or monster in fiction and all I get is "it's a mysterious being," because it comes off as a missed opportunity for worldbuilding at best and lazy at worst. The artbook for King Kong 2005 is still one of my favorite pieces of monster media because it takes such an expansive and detailed look at the environment and inhabitants of Skull Island, and it's all stuff they didn't strictly have to do but they did. The MonsterVerse isn't quite as good at believable monster biology(Why in the heck did they have to say the Mire Squid has rotating fan blade jaws? Rotors aren't biomechanically possible in large organisms), but it gets close enough, and closer than anything else in the movies I can think of.

Being a Synapsid just means (most notably) that the animal has a temporal fenestra, a big hole in the back of the skull that might have served as the anchor point for jaw muscles. All mammals and things like Dimetrodon are synapsids, not just things that walk on four legs or have fur, so there's really a lot of wiggle room to work with under that classification.

TL;DR: Applying speculative biology to Godzilla is fine by me because real life animals are incredibly complex creatures and I find that complexity endlessly fascinating. Godzilla movies can swing both ways and I'm fine with anything, but that's the angle I personally enjoy most.
I feel that he made a meritorious argument. Like you said, It all comes down to preference. Kaneko's idea for GMK Goji being used as vessel for pissed off souls of WWII casualties was never my cup of tea, but Kaneko went along with it anyway. It worked for the masses because it operated well enough within the context and setting of the story he wanted to tell. Would you make you feel any better if Toho actually did something along my proposal so long as the same factors applied?

No, hard feelings, but I just wanted to clarify my point of view.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

Two more from Gugenheim:

https://www.deviantart.com/gugenheim98/ ... -900278103

https://www.deviantart.com/gugenheim98/ ... -900278514

These two seem oddly popular in kaiju redesigns, given their only official appearance that I know of is from an obscure Japan-only PS1 card game.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

JNewbold54 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:56 pm Two more from Gugenheim:

These two seem oddly popular in kaiju redesigns, given their only official appearance that I know of is from an obscure Japan-only PS1 card game.

The Nargacuga is strong within that Jyarumu.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

JNewbold54 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:56 pm Two more from Gugenheim:

Funny how the MH-influenced artists are the ones who have the most consistently-good kaiju redesigns.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

So, I was spitballing another Godzilla design and came up with this. Based the proportions and the overall look heavily off of the Godzilla vs Biollante alternate poster. I intentionally made him bottom-heavy and with a long tail. The idea was that this Godzilla uses his Atomic Ray and tail as his primary means of attack. His tail can be used as a powerful whip to deliver crippling strikes and is even prehensile to a degree. This isn't really meant to be a serious redesign, just an idea I wanted to make a model of. The dorsal plates are placeholders from another model, and I haven't even given it proper textures and likely never will. This is probably as far as this design will be developed.
Last edited by Breakdown on Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gomora II by MUGI3000

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's yet another major step in fixing my Godzilla redesign. Hopefully most of you can get around the way I've done the legs now. I am also happy to announce that I am almost finished and I plan to do a whole series of kaiju redesigns (and maybe even human characters, aliens, SDF, ect) as well. It is a project I am calling the Toho Ascension Project.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

This Godzilla suffers a bit from "spikes = cool" but overall, it actually looks really good.
By Lukidon

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:25 pm This Godzilla suffers a bit from "spikes = cool" but overall, it actually looks really good.
By Lukidon
I actually love this!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Not bad. Tail shape is weird and legs could use some bulk.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:53 pm Not bad. Tail shape is weird and legs could use some bulk.
I thought you wanted me to reduce the bulk of the legs.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:31 am
Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:53 pm Not bad. Tail shape is weird and legs could use some bulk.
He's referring to the one I recently posted.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:14 am
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:31 am
He's referring to the one I recently posted.
Phew, that’s a relief.

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

Another redesign from Gugenheim:

https://www.deviantart.com/gugenheim98/ ... -900949507

And I thought the axe from GvK gave me God of War vibes.
Last edited by JNewbold54 on Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Who the hell is Gugenheim?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:29 pm ^Who the hell is Gugenheim?
The artist behind that Kong.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Gugenheim is generally considered to have some of the best Kaiju redesigns out there right now.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

202Vincent at it again with some really nice sketches of GTS beasties Crustaceous Rex and the Crackler.

Source: https://www.twitter.com/202Vincent

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Both of those look fantastic. I'd love to see them colored.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Import them both straight into the Monsterverse. They'd fit right in. Well... the Crackler's origin might need some tweaking, but design-wise, they're perfect for the MV.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio