Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Best and Worst Kaiju Redesigns

Post by LegendZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:20 pm Im not sure. Generally aquatic animals have smaller limbs to improve their aerodynamics... I think? Dont quote me on that.
The ideas you had for the feet on yours arent bad, the problem are the leg proportions. They seem too short, overall, especially the lower leg. And they are WAY TOO THICK. 1995 Godzilla is the thickest you should go, and even then 95's legs were proportionated very well. Also, if you are going to have a super thick lower body, you need to beef up the upper body to balance it out.
I just posted the version with the new head on Deviantart. Mind if I show it to you?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’d love to see it!
For Emperor and Empire!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Go ahead

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:37 pm Go ahead
Just so you know, I’ve modelled the new head off of the original 1954 production Marquettes. Thought I’d give you a heads up. I am also in the process of shortening his arms.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Okay, here's the first phase of redesigning my Godzilla :

As you can see, I gave him a new head modeled directly off of the original 1954 production maquettes and made his arms shorter. For his arms, I referenced Executive Hamster's work. I did not make his hands shorter as someone requested, but I did make his thumbs shorter. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:51 pm Okay, here's the first phase of redesigning my Godzilla :

As you can see, I gave him a new head modeled directly off of the original 1954 production maquettes and made his arms shorter. For his arms, I referenced Executive Hamster's work. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.
Definitely. Proportions are much better. It’s hands still seem a tad too big. Leg/feet thickness are passable. His neck looks like when the puppets used in those films turns their head in to the left or right. Too scrawny.

This has been my feedback to you.

Added in 1 minute 49 seconds:
Oh, and maybe slightly adjust the upper body to better transition w/ the lower body.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ArtMaker wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:09 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:51 pm Okay, here's the first phase of redesigning my Godzilla :

As you can see, I gave him a new head modeled directly off of the original 1954 production maquettes and made his arms shorter. For his arms, I referenced Executive Hamster's work. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.
Definitely. Proportions are much better. It’s hands still seem a tad too big. Leg/feet thickness are passable. His neck looks like when the puppets used in those films turns their head in to the left or right. Too scrawny.

Oh, and maybe slightly adjust the upper body to better transition w/ the lower body.
Any word on the head itself?

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

It’s ok. 👍 If I didn’t bring it up, Then I have no problems w/ it.

Added in 30 minutes 4 seconds:
Been pondering about revising my own design, so here are the rough scribbles of my gojiradon/Godzilla:

https://www.deviantart.com/artmakerprod ... -899066803

https://www.deviantart.com/artmakerprod ... -899066815

https://www.deviantart.com/artmakerprod ... -899066819

Now, compared to the older designs.

I know. Y’all are probably sick as hell by now of me reposting my art every other blue moon, but I do so in case any newbies to the thread got anything to say and share about it.... Also cause I figure I might as well ride the band wagon and get some actual feedback on what I can improve or the direction I should go in: (https://i.imgflip.com/1lj6ra.jpg).

https://www.deviantart.com/artmakerprod ... -829432605
(Feb 5, 2020)

https://www.deviantart.com/artmakerprod ... -862840568
(Dec 1, 2020)

So.....? Any thoughts?

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:14 pm [quote=ArtMaker post_id=<a href="tel:1864015">1864015</a> time=<a href="tel:1638583781">1638583781</a> user_id=10623]
[quote=LegendZilla post_id=<a href="tel:1864010">1864010</a> time=<a href="tel:1638582687">1638582687</a> user_id=3897]
Okay, here's the first phase of redesigning my Godzilla :

[/quote]

Any word on the head itself?
[/quote]

Ok. So, I meant for my reply above and my other post there to be a separate, but it won’t let me edit it to fix this due to an ‘error’ or whatever. Just as a heads up. I’ll say it again here:

It’s ok. 👍 If I didn’t bring it up, Then I have no problems w/ it.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

As you can see, I gave him a new head modeled directly off of the original 1954 production maquettes and made his arms shorter. For his arms, I referenced Executive Hamster's work. I did not make his hands shorter as someone requested, but I did make his thumbs shorter. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.
Big improvements already!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:52 pm

Big improvements already!
It's a relief to here that from you. I am almost finished making his lower half slightly thinner.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I actually think the new head looks awesome. Could definitely see it on a showa era suit back in the day, great work.
Im still iffy on the body, but I figured Id showcase my suggestions in the form of a rough sketch I threw together. If I had designed your Godzilla, these were some of the choices I would have made.

Once again, the new head looks great, no complaints. And really, there weren't that many issues with the body, your ideas were solid. Its just that in my opinion they could be executed a bit better.

I will note that these are just my opinions on what would look better. Im not saying Im right and your wrong, or that mine is objectively better. Just giving my input in a visual form.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:53 pm I actually think the new head looks awesome. Could definitely see it on a showa era suit back in the day, great work.
Im still iffy on the body, but I figured Id showcase my suggestions in the form of a rough sketch I threw together. If I had designed your Godzilla, these were some of the choices I would have made.

Once again, the new head looks great, no complaints. And really, there weren't that many issues with the body, your ideas were solid. Its just that in my opinion they could be executed a bit better.

I will note that these are just my opinions on what would look better. Im not saying Im right and your wrong, or that mine is objectively better. Just giving my input in a visual form.
Nice job at replicating my design. Just you know, I am almost finished reworking the tail and lower half. I made the paddle part around the tail only encompass half rather than the majority. However, I am keeping it horizontal to reflect his ties to mammals (i.e whales). Would you care to explain as to why you prefer it vertical?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Its partly an aesthetic thing, since having a fat beaver tail on Godzilla just doesn't look as cool as a sleek streamlined crocodile tail. And partly because it just makes sense for the way I imagine Godzilla would swim, which would be a side to side motion. The horizontal tail would require an up down swimming motion, which would look kinda silly for Godzilla. Godzilla is more reptile than mammal in design and he would most certainly swim like a crocodile.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

As for ArtMaker's design, I may have commented before but it suffers from similar issues to LegendZillas. Firstly, in that a good redesign has to stay true to the original design. Which might sound restricting at first, but as Shin Godzilla and Godzilla Ultima have shown, you can stay true to the character and still do some interesting things with the design. ArtMaker's design changes far too much, as if it prioritized being a dimetrodon design before being a Godzilla design. It doesn't really look like Godzilla much, though the Feb 2020 design looks a lot better.

I think the biggest issue with ArtMaker's design is the head. I quite like the shape of the Feb 2020, and even the spines look decent, though Id add more of them for sure. The head though just doesn't say Godzilla. It says Dimetrodon.
The skin texture could also be improved. He looks like hes got a bunch of cysts all over him, and the texture is the same over the whole body. Some variety would help out a bit.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:13 am As for ArtMaker's design, I may have commented before but it suffers from similar issues to LegendZillas. Firstly, in that a good redesign has to stay true to the original design. Which might sound restricting at first, but as Shin Godzilla and Godzilla Ultima have shown, you can stay true to the character and still do some interesting things with the design. ArtMaker's design changes far too much, as if it prioritized being a dimetrodon design before being a Godzilla design. It doesn't really look like Godzilla much, though the Feb 2020 design looks a lot better.

I think the biggest issue with ArtMaker's design is the head. I quite like the shape of the Feb 2020, and even the spines look decent, though Id add more of them for sure. The head though just doesn't say Godzilla. It says Dimetrodon.
The skin texture could also be improved. He looks like hes got a bunch of cysts all over him, and the texture is the same over the whole body. Some variety would help out a bit.
*feedback on my art that isn’t just “cool art bro” *
Me: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gD1Ib6uOXQ4

..But seriously, thanks. My explanation for theses is 1) I sort of wanted to go more the speculative evolution route and tried to make him unique from others as well as animalize him rather than humanize. 2) The dimetrodon-ism was intentional since, well, look at it’s skill: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... CQdZ_scKob, https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlYpXMRW0AA1B0J.jpg, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _skull.jpg, it practically IS Godzilla’s head, or at least an ancestor. Which was I was trying to go for and finding a good balance of how much it’d change over millions of years over time (because evolution and the term “living fossil” being debunked) and Godzilla, always depicted as a relic of the past, I wanted to reflect this mindset.... but hey. That’s just me. The cysts you mention were meant to be osteoderms like on a alligator/crocodile’s back: https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/cr ... 9DhWOYk1A=.

Again, thanks for the feedback man, it’s great. 👍 Wish more people would do that.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I always like to give feedback when I can. But I will also always be brutally honest, so thats the trade off.
This is where I like to distinguish the terms REDESIGN and REIMAGINEING. A dimetrodon based Godzilla to me is a cool concept and a cool reimagining, but I dont think it would work good as a redesign because it doesnt stay true to the source material enough.

I got the impression it was osteoderms but for those I think going with a less perfect oval would get the point across better. They should be shaped more like jagged rocks.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's the next major step in improving my Godzilla design. Aside from the tail, you may not notice the changes made at first glance, but you will if you look close enough. Hope you find this a further step above.

Kaijuboi
Yojimbo

Post by Kaijuboi »

this is just a heads up for my future fixes of kaiju i've done that need some work
-kong
-rodan
-anguirus (probably coming this week or so)
-megalon
-gigan (around christmas)

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:09 am Image

Here's the next major step in improving my Godzilla design. Aside from the tail, you may not notice the changes made at first glance, but you will if you look close enough. Hope you find this a further step above.
Getting closer and closer to what I would consider a decent Godzilla design. Legs still arent very good and the tail just isnt going to look good for me horizontal. Just doesnt work for Godzilla. Body shape is still eh and he really needs a couple more rows of dorsal spines. But aside from that, its almost a decent design.

Im shit at photoshop, but this is another little visualization of what I think would improve this design. Definitely poorly done, but you get the idea I was going for. I think there is plenty of potential for a good design, if you just drop the silly "this is biologically accurate" type stuff. Its unnecessary. These creatures could never exist anyway.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.