Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Best and Worst Kaiju Redesigns

Post by LegendZilla »

It disheartens me after working on my piece so hard after several months, only to get almost unanimously negative feedback so far. If you please, I will like you to hear my reasoning behind my creative choices. Proportion-wise I made him exceptionally bottom heavy for better weight distribution, since a creature of that size would realistically need to be built like that. To be honest, I kinda half-expected people to be critical over such a aesthetic, especially considering the ever popular anti-Heisei bias. Either that, or biologically accurate fictional monsters may not be a popular preference.

His tail is shaped that way to act as a paddle while swimming. The same goes for his hands and feet. As for him looking ugly and beat down, why can the same logic be used to criticize Shin’s design? That particular design had a butt-ton of detractors when it was first fully revealed, yet look at how that movie turned out for the majority.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:36 am, edited 11 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:49 am It disheartens me after working on my piece so hard after several months, only to get almost unanimously negative feedback so far. If you please, I will like you to hear my reasoning behind my creative choices. Proportion-wise I made him exceptionally bottom heavy for better weight distribution, since a creature of that size would realistically need to be built like that. To be honest, I kinda half-expected people to be critical over such a aesthetic, especially considering the ever popular anti-Heisei bias. Either that, or biologically accurate fictional monsters may not be a popular preference.

His tail is shaped that way to act as a paddle while swimming. The same goes for his hands and feet. As for him looking ugly and beat down, why can the same logic be used to criticize Shin’s design? That particular design had a butt-ton of detractors when it was first fully revealed, yet look at how that movie turned out for the majority.
What gets me is that you're the number one hardline supporter of the Showa/Heisei standard, and then your own Godzilla has a very extreme design. Take away the spines and skin texture, and I would assume it was one of the Naboo sea monsters from TPM, but with a walrus's face. It's an interesting monster design in its own right, but at present is barely recognizable as Godzilla.

And I don't mean to beat you down, here, I'm sorry you're only getting flak so far. It's just a very out there design. I would not call it one of the worst I've seen, though. No, it's really nowhere near that level.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Kaijuboi
Yojimbo

Post by Kaijuboi »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:12 pm Anyone have something to say about my own version of Godzilla?
gonna be honest here and this may not be a shock to some but I actually like the design
it looks like a mutated animal that both the original and heisei godzillas were

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:24 am What gets me is that you're the number one hardline supporter of the Showa/Heisei standard, and then your own Godzilla has a very extreme design. Take away the spines and skin texture, and I would assume it was one of the Naboo sea monsters from TPM, but with a walrus's face. It's an interesting monster design in its own right, but at present is barely recognizable as Godzilla.

And I don't mean to beat you down, here, I'm sorry you're only getting flak so far. It's just a very out there design. I would not call it one of the worst I've seen, though. No, it's really nowhere near that level.
When you come to think of it, if you take away the spines on LegendaryGoji, he won’t be recognizable as Godzilla either. In case you can’t already tell, I am going with the Synapsid route for my design.

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:49 amHis tail is shaped that way to act as a paddle while swimming. The same goes for his hands and feet. As for him looking ugly and beat down, why can the same logic be used to criticize Shin’s design? That particular design had a butt-ton of detractors when it was first fully revealed, yet look at how that movie turned out for the majority.
Can't say I was here when Shin was first revealed, but I always felt that Shin's highly unique design worked for what he was supposed to be in that movie. He was freakish, mutated, abominable.... he looks cool.

I'm sorry to say it but this Godzilla just looks goofy IMO.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Shin Godzilla still looked like and felt like Godzilla. This does not. Design changes made for the sake of "realism" do not work for kaiju. They are giant firebreathing monsters. Nothing is realistic about them in the slightest.

I think Godzilla Ultima proved that you CAN be experimental with the shapes and features of Godzilla, but still have it look like Godzilla and, furthermore, look good. The problem is that this isn't that. Artist to artist here, don't be disheartened. Not everyone is going to like what you make, and thats ok as long as you are proud of it. I respect the effort put into it, and the craftsmenship is pretty good, but when it comes down to it, it just doesn't capture any of what makes Godzilla himself, and some of the design choices don't look natural.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The drawing itself is good, but the design might be on my list of worst Godzilla redesigns I've seen, being brutally and completely honest. It doesn't feel like Godzilla.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:25 am Shin Godzilla still looked like and felt like Godzilla. This does not. Design changes made for the sake of "realism" do not work for kaiju. They are giant firebreathing monsters. Nothing is realistic about them in the slightest.

I think Godzilla Ultima proved that you CAN be experimental with the shapes and features of Godzilla, but still have it look like Godzilla and, furthermore, look good. The problem is that this isn't that. Artist to artist here, don't be disheartened. Not everyone is going to like what you make, and thats ok as long as you are proud of it. I respect the effort put into it, and the craftsmenship is pretty good, but when it comes down to it, it just doesn't capture any of what makes Godzilla himself, and some of the design choices don't look natural.
To be honest, there are some issues I have with the design of both Shin and Ultima. I don’t like Shin’s pointy sternum or ludicrously long tail. Also, I can’t stand the way Ultima’s face looks when viewed from the front. Also, are changes make for “realism” for Kaiju and objectively bad idea or is it just a matter of one’s preference?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:49 pmAlso, are changes make for “realism” for Kaiju and objectively bad idea or is it just a matter of one’s preference?
Considering the 2014 feet debacle and the almost unanimous opinion, I’d say that most of the fandom dislike realism, and therefore objectively bad.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:43 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:49 pmAlso, are changes make for “realism” for Kaiju and objectively bad idea or is it just a matter of one’s preference?
Considering the 2014 feet debacle and the almost unanimous opinion, I’d say that most of the fandom dislike realism, and therefore objectively bad.
I am willing to edit my design if you don't mind. If you can give suggestions as to improve it, I'd appreciate it.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:50 pm
I am willing to edit my design if you don't mind. If you can give suggestions as to improve it, I'd appreciate it.
It’s mostly the proportions that bother me, and maybe the tail. The body (IMO) should be evened out, and the hands should be shrunk. That’s all I got off the top of my head.

The colouration and texture are spot on, though :)
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:53 pm

It’s mostly the proportions that bother me, and maybe the tail. The body (IMO) should be evened out, and the hands should be shrunk. That’s all I got off the top of my head.

Do you object to the semi-aquatic traits? I.e the webbed feet/hands and paddle-tail? Perhaps I should do something about the skull-prongs too.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:06 pm
Voyager wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:53 pm

Do you object to the semi-aquatic traits? I.e the webbed feet/hands and paddle-tail? Perhaps I should do something about the skull-prongs too.
I’m fine with webbed hands and feet.
For Emperor and Empire!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I'd recommend making the arms and hands smaller, and giving the legs more shape. The tail would look better if you made it more vertical, like a crocodile's paddle, than, say a beavers, but that's just me. The head needs a complete redo since it just doesn't look like Godzilla at all. The dorsal fins should be bigger and have more of them.

Those are my recommendations.

Added in 2 minutes 43 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:49 pm To be honest, there are some issues I have with the design of both Shin and Ultima. I don’t like Shin’s pointy sternum or ludicrously long tail. Also, I can’t stand the way Ultima’s face looks when viewed from the front. Also, are changes make for “realism” for Kaiju and objectively bad idea or is it just a matter of one’s preference?
Whether or not you like the design isnt the point. The point is that they are designs that are true to the character and look professionally designed and put together with an understanding of character design and biochemistry, as well as of what Godzilla is and what he represents. Your design, currently, has virtually nothing in common with Godzilla. So much so that if you didn't tell someone it was Godzilla, they probably wouldn't have realized. That's the point Im getting at.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think if the proportions were completely reworked, ie remove the goofy feet, remove the curvy shape of his torso, rework the tail, the arms, and make the head look less like a rabbit, he'd resemble Godzilla.

Currently though he looks like what I picture a lizard would look like through a kaleidoscope.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Y’know, I actually loved Godzilla 2014’s stumpy feet to be completely honest. They really fit the design, and seeing that titanic foot... shivers.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:40 pm I'd recommend making the arms and hands smaller, and giving the legs more shape. The tail would look better if you made it more vertical, like a crocodile's paddle, than, say a beavers, but that's just me. The head needs a complete redo since it just doesn't look like Godzilla at all. The dorsal fins should be bigger and have more of them.
I think this basically covers my thoughts on how to improve it.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:09 pm Y’know, I actually loved Godzilla 2014’s stumpy feet to be completely honest. They really fit the design, and seeing that titanic foot... shivers.
Oh yeah, they looked great. Partially because they were proportionate with the body and not extremely oversized like the drawing here.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'd like to announce that a new head is currently underway. I am drawing influence directly from this replica of the original 1954 production maquette :

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1825055465

Keep in mind am am maintaining (some) elements of the way it was before, since I don't want my ideas to go to waste completely.
Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:08 pm
Oh yeah, they looked great. Partially because they were proportionate with the body and not extremely oversized like the drawing here.
Is it possible to to make similar feet to G14, yet more designed for a semi-aquatic lifestyle?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Im not sure. Generally aquatic animals have smaller limbs to improve their aerodynamics... I think? Dont quote me on that.
The ideas you had for the feet on yours arent bad, the problem are the leg proportions. They seem too short, overall, especially the lower leg. And they are WAY TOO THICK. 1995 Godzilla is the thickest you should go, and even then 95's legs were proportionated very well. Also, if you are going to have a super thick lower body, you need to beef up the upper body to balance it out.