Godzilla: Tactical Assault.

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

mpsoldier
GPN Volunteer

Re: Godzilla: Tactical Assault.

Post by mpsoldier »

Really enjoying the update. Nice to see the Rodan's back in action. With an obvious male and female together I think they would outweigh Godzilla on the global priority scale. A Kaiju wrecking a country is still just one Kaiju wrecking that country, but a Kaiju capable of creating a whole lot of baby Kaiju's is terrifying for the entire planet.

I did catch from the Tokyo aftermath that people have clearly clued in to radiation poisoning a whole lot earlier then they did in reality. This is ok, Kaiju would have changed global direction radically and it makes sense some technology and knowledge would surge forward and in other ways things could move much slower.

I know most people on these forums are all about the big boys and girl. Godzilla, Rodan, Motha, Ghidorah. My personal favorite however is Anguiros, so I'm hoping the spiky guy comes back to play. Also while not a huge fan, Kong might be interesting. Given that most Kaiju are about causing destruction, or at least don't really care that they are causing destruction, Kong stands out in that he is identifiably a "natural" creature and generally behaves in a much more understandable way. He also is intelligent and understands his place in the ecosystem thus might create an interesting contrast to the other titans. Mothra is clearly pro human, in this story it seems likely she might seek out any other Titan that might be open to her cause and Kong seems the most likely to side with her.

Also on the interesting (if ridicolous) contrast: Megalon. I mean, Seatopia? It totally doesn't fit the grounded realism of the story, but maybe the ridicolous bug guy could make a cameo. I think its important to have a little fun with your work too. Its a very serious subject, and you couldn't take the silly 60's era silliness into such a work, but its an option.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

Without giving too much away mpsoldier, Anguirus will definitely be returning, and not long from now. Kong is also set to appear before too long, but not quite yet.

I’m all about letting under-appreciated monsters get their fair due, which is why I held back Godzilla for so long. But just because he has appeared now doesn’t mean I’ll be abandoning the other monsters. The recent Rodan chapter being a prime example of that philosophy. I’m hoping to give everyone a little time in the spotlight. Hedorah is a character I really want to explore, but I’m a ways off from getting to him. Megalon will also be coming eventually. I’ve already been subtilely setting him up for a number of chapters.

From a plot standpoint, I’ve still only scratched the surface of what I have in mind. However, I am very much considering not posting here anymore. One of the readers over on fanfic told me there is another website like fanfiction that allows authors to post pictures right in the story like here. So I may be rebooting the story over there in place of continuing here.

I haven’t investigated it yet. If I do though, I’ll let you know.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
GPN Volunteer

Post by mpsoldier »

Have you considered posting on sufficent velocity? That site has some great long stories like yours; and there is a shortage on Kaiju related works. Give it a look. They have quite the ecletic selection.

As for the lesser used monsters; well theres a reason most weren't used. Megalon, Jet Jaguar, Hedorah were all from awful, silly movies. Which isn't to say that they could not be used in a serious work, given the original timeline used here each's origin could easily be tweaked. The megalon movie is a guilty favorite of mine. Nevermind why a giant burrowing bug is the king of an undersea world instead of, I don't know, some kind of massive sea creature like Megalodon. But just using Megalon as is, a giant burrowing bug, is terrifying. Think of it. Most Kaiju crush cities with power and weight. Something of Megalon's size and digging ability could just drop whole cities into sinkholes with only a little warning; especially in regions not prone to earthquakes thus not looking.

Hedorah is a giant smog monster. Lots of ways to go with that one. Gives you pretty wide open interpretation for whatever abilities and character you want.

Jet Jaguar is an embarassment to Kaiju. But I still have a soft spot for him.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

mpsoldier wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:21 pm Have you considered posting on sufficent velocity? That site has some great long stories like yours; and there is a shortage on Kaiju related works. Give it a look. They have quite the ecletic selection.

As for the lesser used monsters; well theres a reason most weren't used. Megalon, Jet Jaguar, Hedorah were all from awful, silly movies. Which isn't to say that they could not be used in a serious work, given the original timeline used here each's origin could easily be tweaked. The megalon movie is a guilty favorite of mine. Nevermind why a giant burrowing bug is the king of an undersea world instead of, I don't know, some kind of massive sea creature like Megalodon. But just using Megalon as is, a giant burrowing bug, is terrifying. Think of it. Most Kaiju crush cities with power and weight. Something of Megalon's size and digging ability could just drop whole cities into sinkholes with only a little warning; especially in regions not prone to earthquakes thus not looking.

Hedorah is a giant smog monster. Lots of ways to go with that one. Gives you pretty wide open interpretation for whatever abilities and character you want.

Jet Jaguar is an embarassment to Kaiju. But I still have a soft spot for him.
I may have to look into sufficient velocity. I don’t suppose they allow you to post pictures do they? Even if not, it may still be worth while.

You are 100% correct about Godzilla vs the Smog Monster and Godzilla vs Megalon being silly movies. There is probably someone here on TK who would be willing to debate you on that, but it won’t be me. :lol:

But that’s exactly why I’m very excited to give monsters like Megalon and Hedorah a do over. Give both of them a fresh start and an opportunity to stand out. They have gotten precious little exposure and I see a lot of potential with them both.

Jet Jaguar on the other hand… well, he might be one of the very few monsters that isn’t likely to so up in my story. Unlike Megalon and Hedorah, it is ’he himself’ and not just the movie that he occupies which is a little embarrassing.

I remember G-Fan doing a fan pole a long time ago and he was voted one of the worst monsters in the entire franchise. Sorry to any Jet Jaguar fans out there, but I’m certainly in that camp myself. He’s absolutely near the bottom for me.

(Spoiler alert) 🚨 Ignore or skip over the next paragraph if you want to avoid potential spoilers for Tactical Assault. If not, read on.

Concerning Megalon: I’ve always saw Megalon as being ‘a gift’ to Seatopians from the Space Hunter M aliens. Why? Well first off, the Space hunter M aliens are giant bugs themselves and some of Megalon’s attributes were in line with Gigan’s. It has always made me wonder. They never come right out and say it, but Megalon seems like he’s at least in part a cyborg with his arms. With Megalon and Gigan together you have both a powersaw and powerdrill. Coincidence? Maybe. Since the two powers were clearly supposed to be allies in the 70s Godzilla movies, Megalon being turned over to the Seatopians just might have bought the Space Hunter aliens that alliance, which return would give the space roaches a foothold on earth. That could explain how the Seatopians got a powerful weaponized Kaiju that doesn’t really fit in with their whole underwater theme. (All of that may come into play later in my story.). :Megalon: :Gigan:

Anyways, I don’t think I’ll change up the abilities on Megalon and Hedorah a whole lot. They actually both have a variety of ways to raise hell. With any character I have enhanced in the past, it was mostly because they had limited ways to attack or defend themselves or were too one dimensional.

Angirus was an exception, but he is just a tank to begin with, so he doesn’t really need an extra bump. His thing is that he is very durable. Good enough on its own. But Manda? He absolutely needed something else. Gezora? Yeah… he needed more too. Varan? Maybe, but for him that was almost just a case of I had an interesting idea as much as anything else.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
GPN Volunteer

Post by mpsoldier »

Yes, the Megalon being on loan from the Gigan aliens makes a whole lot more sense...as much as anything makes sense in that era. I would say how glad I am to be past that era but those movies are enjoyable; if approached with logic turned off. And well, the modern Godzilla vs Kong. So I guess we're back to the good cheesy fun regardless of logic, continuity and\or reason.

Sufficent velocity does allow picture posts so give it a try.

I am a kind of Jet Jaguar fan; for an indirect reason. When my brother saw JJ program "himself to grow" and magically expand in mass and size exponentionally he had a fit and I have never forgotten it. So JJ does have a place in my heart; however insanely silly he\it is. On that note; how does a robot even get dizzy?!

Yes water monsters are a little one dimensional but hey. They world is like 2/3 water. That's plenty of place to wreak havoc.

I used to think the whole buzzsaw and drill weapons insane; but the mantis shrimp has clockwork gears in its body, many jumping insects have similarly coordinated legs and there's an antartic fish that legitimately has anti freeze in its blood. The more we learn about nature the less insane some of that stuff is.

Less insane. Still not probable.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

mpsoldier wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:35 pm Yes, the Megalon being on loan from the Gigan aliens makes a whole lot more sense...as much as anything makes sense in that era. I would say how glad I am to be past that era but those movies are enjoyable; if approached with logic turned off. And well, the modern Godzilla vs Kong. So I guess we're back to the good cheesy fun regardless of logic, continuity and\or reason.

Sufficent velocity does allow picture posts so give it a try.

I am a kind of Jet Jaguar fan; for an indirect reason. When my brother saw JJ program "himself to grow" and magically expand in mass and size exponentionally he had a fit and I have never forgotten it. So JJ does have a place in my heart; however insanely silly he\it is. On that note; how does a robot even get dizzy?!

Yes water monsters are a little one dimensional but hey. They world is like 2/3 water. That's plenty of place to wreak havoc.

I used to think the whole buzzsaw and drill weapons insane; but the mantis shrimp has clockwork gears in its body, many jumping insects have similarly coordinated legs and there's an antartic fish that legitimately has anti freeze in its blood. The more we learn about nature the less insane some of that stuff is.

Less insane. Still not probable.
Oh yes, there’s nothing wrong with liking old campy Godzilla movies. I think Godzilla vs Megalon might be the first Godzilla movie I bought on a VHS tape in a Toys R us of all places. So it will also hold a special place for me. It’s important not to take things too seriously in life. I think and GvM reminds us of that. That being said, Godzilla vs Kong does certainly have some facepalm moments too.

I’m more of the type to lean towards the Heisei era of movies, because they tend to be more consistent and the tone is fairly serious. But with almost every Godzilla movie (even the ones with very serious tones) you’ll still have some silly moments. Whether it be an unconvincing special effect, horrifically bad writing, or a notoriously over the top acting performance.

I don’t hate Jet Jaguar either. He’s kinda like the family member that embarrasses you a little. If I’m trying to introduce someone new to Godzilla movies I don’t start with Godzilla vs. Megalon, that’s for sure. :lol:

Anyways, I’ll have to check out that website soon. This upcoming weekend I have a convention I’m giving a special presentation at and building a miniature San Francisco live on site. So until that is done, everything else is pretty much on hold. But after that I can start looking into things.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
GPN Volunteer

Post by mpsoldier »

Hey I came up with an idea for a quick one page or so update featuring a lesser used monster that would not interfere with your narrative. Inject a little more humor and do some world building while leaving the story intact, as well as pay a respectful nod salute to the great and sometimes not so great Kaiju movies of the past if you think it's ok.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

mpsoldier wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:01 pm Hey I came up with an idea for a quick one page or so update featuring a lesser used monster that would not interfere with your narrative. Inject a little more humor and do some world building while leaving the story intact, as well as pay a respectful nod salute to the great and sometimes not so great Kaiju movies of the past if you think it's ok.
Ok, what’s your idea?

Added in 8 minutes 32 seconds:
Also, just a quick update for anyone who has not been paying attention to the discussion page. I just started working on chapter 22. I have the first two scenes of the chapter finished and a third well under way, but I am still a very long ways away from finishing it. In fact, it might still be another month before I post it.

I’m aiming for early November, but I don’t know how long for sure. If you want to know why it’s taken so long, go and read the discussion page for more info.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
GPN Volunteer

Post by mpsoldier »

Honestly I just wanted to do a quick humourous scene where the idea of Jet Jaguar is given more of the reaction it deserves. Thought it would be fun, good for a laugh, acknowledge the greats of the past and yet keep the more serious tone of this narrative.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

mpsoldier wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:27 pm Honestly I just wanted to do a quick humourous scene where the idea of Jet Jaguar is given more of the reaction it deserves. Thought it would be fun, good for a laugh, acknowledge the greats of the past and yet keep the more serious tone of this narrative.
Ok, I could probably handle that.

I think I need to finish chapter 22 first though since the story has been left hanging for a couple months. Do you have any further parameters you want me to work within? Just sitting here thinking on it for a second, I thought of a funny idea for a Jet Jaguar story, but it depends on how serious you want it to be. Do you want a battle or just a story that revolves around JJ? :JetJaguar:

Do you want the scene to be it’s own individual thing or something that could ‘hypothetically’ be connected to the main story? I could pretty easily write something that takes place within the original Showa timeline.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
GPN Volunteer

Post by mpsoldier »

I was actually going to write it, unless the idea has germinated a few ideas for you. The whole concept of Jet Jaguar is completely unworkable in this story. Technologically, logistically, practically, even mechanically. So I was just planning on having a little fun with it.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

mpsoldier wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:15 am I was actually going to write it, unless the idea has germinated a few ideas for you. The whole concept of Jet Jaguar is completely unworkable in this story. Technologically, logistically, practically, even mechanically. So I was just planning on having a little fun with it.
I’m glad you said that. Trying to marry a Jet Jaguar plot with my existing narrative would have been a very tall order. :lol:

But yeah, if you want to write it, go for it.

My idea was basically going to be a fake out comedy plot. The idea would be to convince the reader that something serious was going down. Something along the lines of Jet Jaguar flying in an awful hurry trying to urgently get somewhere on time with some type of package. Give the audience the impression that the world was hanging on the outcome of him getting there by a certain time.

Maybe while he is in transit, JJ is slowed down by a monster attacking a city and he has to stop and fight them. Or maybe it’s just a series a of other things distracting him from his main objective. (Just to raise the tension). Maybe a is fire raging and people are stuck a roof of a building, that type of thing. The point is to make JJ go through hell and back to get the package to its destination on time.

There are some funny ‘Naked Gun’ scenes where the situation just keeps getting more and more out of hand. Those would be good inspiration for that type of comedy.

An ‘Optional’ plot element: Given JJ an inner thought process and let the audience see the world from the robot’s perspective. Let the readers see how he thinks and what makes him tick.

Then at the end of the story, have a last minute swerve and reveal that JJ is simply carrying a gift to a birthday party for the kid from the original movie that the father (who built JJ) sent him out to get. A bit of a comedic twist.

Added in 28 minutes 33 seconds:
Just thought of another funny scene that could be in there.

After Jet Jaguar has defeated your ‘monster of choice’, he’s flying nearby Tokyo bay and see’s Godzilla coming to fight the monster. (Possibly being led there by people in a boat or something) JJ flys over to him and does his little machine noises that Godzilla understands to tell him he already dealt with the threat. Godzilla looks/acts pretty annoyed and then turns back around towards monster island. The people in the boat are almost capsized because of his tail.

The overall idea there is to make it seem like Jet Jaguar interrupted the plot of a separate Godzilla adventure that was halfway through the process. To make it even funnier, have JJ completely obvious to the fact that he’s ruined Godzilla’s fun (because he’s a robot and doesn’t understand the emotional states of organic lifeforms). Have him salute Godzilla as he flies off for a cherry on top.

Giving Godzilla a small cameo would be a nice call back to their partnership without taking the story’s focus off of Jet Jaguar. :JetJaguar: :Godzilla68:
Last edited by Ashram52 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
GPN Volunteer

Post by mpsoldier »

My idea was a good deal less, shall we say, grand. A much smaller role for our friend JJ. One that fits in the context of the story. I shall try to get it done soon. I know the movie was later on. Should I use the movies date or the timeline date?

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

Dealer’s choice. ;)
Last edited by Ashram52 on Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
GPN Volunteer

Post by mpsoldier »

Ok I am about halfway done. In order to do proper justice to both the source material (Godzilla vs Megalon) and the Godzilla Tactical assault story I have found myself researching...strange things. Flash Gordon, Rocky Jones, the 60's fashion, and some more common things you'd expect like Japanese history and Ikebana. That's what I love about projects like this. Even though it's fantasy (or sci fi) to do the source justice you have to look at alot of very real idea's and concepts that not many people know a great deal about. You educate yourself even though really I'm more or less striving to create something ridiculous. Thanks to Ashram for giving me such a lush canvas on which to paint such a...unconventional masterpiece!

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

Sounds like you are making good process.

Researching strange things… I know all about that. When I was doing the Mothra chapters I found myself looking up when plastic was invented. I think the toughest thing about writing a story that starts in the 1930s was making sure I wasn’t putting technology in the story prior to when it should naturally occur.

Things like radar and sonar were other things I had to tailor into the plot at the right point. A lot of military technology either wasn’t invented or didn’t see widespread use until WW2 was well under way. The British made great strides in both of those areas during the war.

But yeah, researching for Tactical Assault has forced me to learn about things I might not otherwise have explored. :lol:
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
GPN Volunteer

Post by mpsoldier »

Makoto Saito exited the car; attempting to ignore the taxi drivers obviously lingering glances as she left the cab. She was a classical Japanese beauty; dark hair, round face, enchanting eyes, delicate features and a slim form. She was very used to male attention; however much it occasionally irked her. But she was much more then simply a beautiful woman. Makoto was a certified member of the IJA, the Imperial Japanese Army. The IJA was depressingly traditional and generally disinclined to allow women outside of the field’s of support and nursing. But a mastery of Ikebana (traditional Japanese floral arrangement), a highly placed father and uncle in the IJA, a passion for photography and her obvious physical beauty had gotten her a placement as both a photographer and correspondent for the Japanese media. Her work had been highly publicized and devoured by the Japanese masses; her talent for finding beauty in virtually any environment had been a major propaganda victory during the war in China. Her work had been so effective the Kuomintang had even deigned to send a Dao wielding assassin to her hotel room and later even send a pair of Mosin-Nagant wielding snipers after her in Nanjing. That was why in addition to her camera, note pad, and other photography paraphernalia she still kept a Nambu pistol hidden in her dress.

All that had led to her fame and reputation within both the IJA and Japan in general growing sky high. Following the majority of the IJA withdrawal from China Makoto had found herself mostly covering the various Kaiju attacks. The recent humbling of the IJN (Imperial Japanese Navy) by Gezora and the massive damage inflicted by the Rodan’s had sent the inner workings of the Japanese military into a panic. The other Kaiju appearances and attacks had only fanned the blaze of fear currently gripping the island nation. Any idea for defending the Japanese isles against Kaiju attack was being considered and Makoto had helped document many of them. These ranged from the likely (bulk quantities of odourless, tasteless poisons) to the plausible (advancements in armour piercing naval guns) to the possible (chemicals producing scent trails to lead the Kaiju away from Japan) to the ridiculous (using giant mirrors to “reflect” Kaiju beam attacks back at them). That was why Makoto was here today, at the Ibuki lab near the Ogochi Dam. She had been sent to document the Ibuki brothers claims of “an incredible robotic breakthrough” and assess it’s potential to Japan’s new anti Kaiju fixation. Based on the fact’s that the IJA had deigned to send her alone and the Ibuki house seemed to lean back so drunkenly it appeared ready to fall over Makoto was beginning to suspect that this particular project was going to fall heavily into the “ridiculous” category of ideas.

Optimism diminishing with every step, Makoto walked towards the Ibuki’s rather eclectic looking residence. Makoto knocked on the door politely. She was greeted by Goro Ibuki throwing open the door after barely the second knock; clearly he had been both expecting and awaiting her. He looked rather strange for an inventor, wearing a ridiculous looking blue sweater far too thick for the warm day with an equally strange white foreign looking dress shirt underneath. Rather then the more disciplined style common to Japanese men of the period his hair was wild and unkempt, his sideburns of a magnitude Makoto had not seen since reviewing old photos of the war of 1812 in photography class. His eyebrows were...odd, too big, too...caterpillar like. He bubbled forth a greeting and a font of information, his name, her name, details of his project, it’s history, concept, how it was developed, its inventors. He was speaking quickly, too quickly, clearly excited. Finally he paused for a breath, and it took Makoto’s startled mind to catch up to the fact that he had asked her a question in that wild verbal diarrhea he had excreted from his mouth.
“Uh, yeah. I’m alone. It’s just me.” She stammered; taken aback by this frankly bizarre figure. He seemed both disappointed and surprised, rather unusual emotions to be expressed by the traditionally much more stoic Japanese. “But it’s ok. I’m a photographer and a reporter. I’ve covered...”
“The Chinese campaign, the Rodan attack, the Nagano fire of ‘42. Yes I’m familiar with your work, I just hoped that...that...” Goro stammered, then shrugged in an almost American mannerism. “Oh well, it’s an honour to have you here. Let me show you...” He paused for dramatic effect. “Jet Jaguar!”
“Did you say “Jet Jaguar?” Makoto echoed, a little confused.
“Yes. It’s the name of my, our, robot. You see a Jaguar is a...”
“I know what a Jaguar is. Frankly it just seems like such a silly name for a robot I wanted to clarify.”
“Oh.” Goro looked crestfallen; but only for a moment. Rudely taking her hand, Goro half dragged, half escorted Makoto into his awaiting lab.

Had Makoto not been so taken aback by the frankly odd exchange her observant eyes probably would have noticed a third figure watching the conversation; half hidden in the bushes that occupied the strangely empty space where the houses supports probably should have been. Ichika Tanaka knelt in the greenery, scribbling notes in her well worn notebook frantically. Tanaka was in fact a Seatopian secret agent...probably. Diagnosed with Schizophrenia; it was sometimes difficult for Tanaka to differentiate between reality and fantasy. So when an ambassador from Seatopia had manifested in the nearby lake as she had been swimming and asked her to spy on the “disgusting surfacers” Tanaka was not quite sure what to think. But as her diagnosis excluded her from most tasks common in Japanese society Tanaka didn’t have much else to occupy her time so she had taken to the job with enthusiasm. The Seatopians were rather...weird. They dressed in toga’s, looking more like ancient Roman or Greek then anything even remotely aquatic. Also for a supposedly highly advanced underwater society they didn’t seem to have any kind of technological or biological differences that she would have expected some kind of pseudo Atlantis to have. They seemed to dance...alot, for some reason. Still Makoto enjoyed regularly reporting to them; and for some reason they had expressed interest in the Ibuki’s project so here Tanaka was, hiding outside their garage/lab.

Goro unlocked the door to garage/lab and brought Makoto inside. The interior was even more curious than the exterior had been; covered with a plethora of flashing lights on virtually every surface. It looked more like something out of those old “Flash Gordon” strips she had read during her high school years then something a proper scientist would have. It was too flashy, too silly, covered in strange looking tools that defied explanation. Missing were the hammers, wrenches, scales and microscopes she would expect a scientist or engineer to have. He led her around the small lab keeping up a steady barrage of chatter before stopping before a large table set in the centre of the lab and gesturing grandly at the humanoid figure upon it.

It was insanity personified.
It possessed a colour scheme so ungainly it could only have been dreamt up by a colour-blind toddler. Red, orange, blue and silver? It clashed horribly, looking more like some of the Christmas ornaments she had seen in Hong Kong then anything the military would be interested in. The colours had been placed apparently at random; some kind of hideous blue...frill...thing...was wrapped about it’s neck. The frill was met with some kind of red (truly unfortunately placed) collar lower on where it’s neck and collarbone would have been. Combined with the silver chest piece it wore; the entire torso effect was similar to some kind of hideous mockery of an ugly bra. But the powerfully silly aesthetic effect was by no means limited to the upper body. Lower then that hideous combination was a series of bright orange trailing from the navel to the entirety of the crotch (and presumably continuing onto the rear side) giving the impression of some kind of...triangular underwear set? The sides were splashed with the same pale, hideous, uninspired red. Makoto was not sure what the intended effect of the garish colour scheme was; but the actual result was practically painful to the senses. Some kind of vaguely wing shaped emblem was cut out of the... (for lack of a more fitting word) panty line; presumably as some type of belt buckle accouterments's but in reality only seeming to accentuate the insane stripper motif the thing had unfortunately mastered.

But it wasn’t just the colour scheme that offended the eyes and the senses, oh no. The entire design was almost as hideously tasteless and tacky. Its head boasted a vaguely triangular peak; seeming to Makoto as almost like some kind of...excessively flamboyant and style less sharks dorsal fin. How on Earth was this thing supposed to be like a Jaguar...? Its eyes were (almost) logical in comparison; oversized black paint lines that at least appeared more or less functional. But it was the mouth that elicited true horror. Deeply cut into the angular face it featured rows of painted on teeth pulling unnaturally looking deeper into the face with a hideous, nightmare inducing grin. The effect was both comical and creepy; but coupled with the almost equally inorganic 90 degree angles of the sharply defined nose it’s overall horrifying appearance seemed to be magnified.
“Majestic, isn’t it?” Goro said with an awestruck smile.
“No...” Makoto gasped out after a sharp intake of breath. “No, it’s not.”
“It’s not?” Goro repeated, clearly surprised.
“It looks like something a child would have designed.” She admitted. Her initial impulses of both shock and horror had over ridden the usually stoic woman’s traditional reticence. “A particularly disturbed, deeply in need of therapy, child.” Makoto paused, processing the...thing before her. “And how is this...” She paused, searching and failing to find a more fitting noun, “THING...supposed to help with Japan’s Kaiju problem?”
“Well by killing them, of course. Eventually, with the proper support and funding.” Goro replied quickly, apparently still not cluing into Makoto’s obvious disbelief and horror. It figured. Anyone capable of creating such a monstrosity was obviously lacking in social skills.
“Killing them?” Makoto echoed with equal parts disbelief, shock, and amusement. “The only danger this thing poses to Kaiju is that they’ll injure themselves when they fall over laughing after they see it.”
She paused, attempting to process this entire line of thought. “You are aware that Kaiju are over a hundred feet tall? How could this...thing...ever even hope to measure up?” Though taller then a man and made of (presumably) metal; Makoto wasn’t even sure it measured up to a single of Godzilla’s fingers.
“Well yes, of course. This is just a small scale model, a prototype. A technology demonstrator, if you will.” Goro continued with the same blankly misguided and frankly insane eagerness.
“So you plan on building a Kaiju sized version?” Makoto asked in stupefied shock.
“Of course. I’m debating on a perhaps 20 foot model, to iron out the bugs, before we go full Godzilla sized.” Goro used his hands to presumably articulate the scaling upwards.
“Japan is resource poor, particularly in metals.” Makoto said with a grimace. “Additionally both our fleets and air force have taken a beating in the war and the Kaiju attacks. Where exactly are we supposed to get the 100,000 or so tons of metal needed? Shall we scrap the Yamoto and Musashi? Tear down every building in Tokyo? Tap out every mine in Kyushu?” She continued in exasperation. “And even if-Gods forbid-someone was completely insane enough to build such a colossally large horror; how would that even work? The legs and back could never support it. We don’t know of a metal strong enough to bear the weight. And even if by some miracle we could figure out how to make the frame strong enough to support itself, the frame itself would be too heavy to even walk!”
“Well maybe we could just make it fly instead?”
“FLY?!?” Makoto was completely incredulous. “FLY? Do you know how much fuel it takes even to get a single one of our Zero’s into the air for even a single hour?! To power something of that size would take...” Makoto paused, the numbers simply baffling her. “Literal TONS of gas! So we end up with something we can’t build, too heavy to stand, unable to walk and empties the nation’s oil reserve even trying to fuel!”
At last Goro seemed to deflate somewhat, finally cluing in to her disbelief.
“Maybe we could get around all that somehow...” He began.
“HOW? By changing the laws of physics?”
“Maybe I could...somehow...program itself to grow?” Goro wondered, scratching his chin in thought.
“This...this is ridiculous. Makoto stammered, fuming. “I can’t believe I wasted a Saturday driving out to this ********* ****** ***** ******...” She let out a stream of expletives that would have made a serviceman blush as she whirled on her heels and strode out of the garage/lab.
“Wait, don’t you want to see it see it demonstrated?” Goro called after her. “The arms really move!” He paused. “Usually.”
“NO!” Makoto screeched, already exiting the door.
“At least take the copy of the manual to show your...”
SLAM!

Goro Ibuki simply stood in the garage, processing the disappointing experience. Then he cried. Alot. Like really alot. When he was done with the tears, he sadly trudged out the door. In his dejection he forgot to lock the garage/lab door as he whimpered his way to the house. Ichika Tanaka stepped out of the bushes carefully and dashed to the unlocked door with glee. Entering the lab she beheld the marvel that was Jet Jaguar and hurriedly snapped a pic on her old model 1908 camera.
“Wow.” She gushed. He was magnificent! Her eyes fell on the discarded “Model 1 Jet Jaguar manual” sitting on the table with the garish robot and she giggled in delight.
Seatopia would be interested in this.

mpsoldier
GPN Volunteer

Post by mpsoldier »

Hope you like it. As I said I was going for a way to both do justice to Jet Jaguar and fit it into the narrative and the only way to do both was, really, just to have some fun poking fun at the movie. It was alot of fun.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

Not bad, I enjoyed the humor in this quite a lot. I cracked up a couple times.

That is something Tactical Assault has been a little light on so far. It might seem like I’m taking things too seriously at this point, but eventually that will change. I’m planning to introduce a character down the line who is based on a real person who is funny as hell. I’ve written down a number of lines from them that should lighten the mood from time to time.

Overall great job with this. A lot of attention to detail. The IJA made me smirk since the emperor is not out of power in this timeline. Did notice one minor error. There was a part where you mentioned Gezora causing a lot of damage to the Japanese fleet. It was actually Manda who attacked the the Japanese in Tactical Assault. Gezora was in the Mediterranean making life tough on the Italians. No biggie though, if your contribution is supposed to be part of the larger Tactical Assault story then it makes total sense. You see, try as we might, it’s rather traditional to made mistakes in this story. Unless I hire a professional editor, it’s always going to be a part of this narrative. :lol:

I did think of a more subtitle way to include JJ into the Tactical Assault story. It isn’t much, but will eventually will be something. The storyline is still pretty far away from advanced robotics. Got to chew our way through the tech tree a little more yet. :huge:

Again, bravo. Good work. Writing can be a rewarding experience.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
GPN Volunteer

Post by mpsoldier »

Yes I figured since the WW2 went so very much differently in this timeline the IJA would still be in power, or at least be the name of the Army. Your right, I did switch the Manda/Gezora Kaiju. Ooops. I'll see if I can fix it after work. As for Jet Jaguar...yeah. Bringing him in as an incredibly ill advised and concieved prototype was the only way to really bring him into the story and maintain the realism of the story. I added alot of references to the movie. I also discovered that Jet Jaguar was mostly developed by a child and thus his appearance...is silly. And it turns out they shot the movie super quick, which explains how awful (and yet, amazing for the wrong reasons) it was.