Ideas, Advice and Suggestions Thread

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: Ideas, Advice and Suggestions

Post by SonOfGorgo »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:... Why couldn't you just post that as a fanfic?
It's a rough draft of mine.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
But why did you post it in this thread?

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
SonOfGorgo wrote:
It's an idea, right? Should I remove it?

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

SonOfGorgo wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
SonOfGorgo wrote: It's a rough draft of mine.
It's an idea, right? Should I remove it?
I mean, I guess it's an idea; but it seems like you already have what you want written out and all you have to do is expand. I'm just not really sure I get the point of posting it here.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:I mean, I guess it's an idea; but it seems like you already have what you want written out and all you have to do is expand. I'm just not really sure I get the point of posting it here.
I dunno, just a test. Anyway, it's one thing to write a synopsis for your story, it's another to actually expand upon it with actual dialogue. All I'm saying is that, it's daunting at heart and I wish to become better as a writer over time.

Saansilt
Futurian

Re: Ideas, Advice and Suggestions Thread

Post by Saansilt »

I'm thinking about making a series of writing guides, though I'm not sure if anyone would read them. Thoughts?
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Saansilt wrote:I'm thinking about making a series of writing guides, though I'm not sure if anyone would read them. Thoughts?
Well, what would they be about? Characters? Genres?

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Part 1: The tools of writing
Part 2: Writing Styles
Part 3: Conflicts
Part 4: Characters
Part 5: Actions and Reactions

Something like that, not a final outline there beyond part 2. Definitely would be doing parts 1 and 2 as they are listed.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

KaijuLord54
Young Farmer

Kaiju Agents: Season 0; My Fanfiction

Post by KaijuLord54 »

Hello everyone, I'm new here in Toho Kingdom. Since I'm pretty sure everyone here is a Kaiju fan, I was thinking that maybe I could show my fanfiction "Kaiju Agents: Season 0" to my fellow Kaiju Agents. If any of you ever wish to read and/or review my fanfic, it's on the Wattpad app. And my Wattpad Username is "KaijuLord54".

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

I say go for it Saansilt could be beneficial
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

http://pokemunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

"Promethus has landed"

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

So I'm kinda just brainstorming, mostly because I've noticed the FF section is comatose at the moment, but do we still do like, writing competitions/ challenges? I was thinking maybe once everyone has a bit more freetime (I finish school in December, finally), there could be a monster match challenge or something? Basically, when people sign up they're given two (or more) random Toho monsters to work with and a location, and they have to write a match on it, challenging people to write with characters they're not used to, and breathing maybe a bit of life into the section once more. IDK, just brainstorming.

Then again, everyone might just be busy with school atm, which I fully understand :lol:
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

@MothraRocks: YOOOOOOOO, it's been a while bud! Nice to see you back.

Regarding your suggestion: I think it's a good idea, god knows we could use some activity around here.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

DinoMaster
G-Force Personnel

Post by DinoMaster »

Hm. I can't say that I've seen any real contests since I've started writing here, but I would sure be down for that kind of a deal. Been awhile since there's been a whole lot of activity on here.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

MothraRocks wrote:So I'm kinda just brainstorming, mostly because I've noticed the FF section is comatose at the moment, but do we still do like, writing competitions/ challenges? I was thinking maybe once everyone has a bit more freetime (I finish school in December, finally), there could be a monster match challenge or something? Basically, when people sign up they're given two (or more) random Toho monsters to work with and a location, and they have to write a match on it, challenging people to write with characters they're not used to, and breathing maybe a bit of life into the section once more. IDK, just brainstorming.

Then again, everyone might just be busy with school atm, which I fully understand :lol:
I'd be super down for it. College is sort of kicking my ass right now but i'm sure if it was scheduled for some time after the average Christmas beak it would work for anyone who wanted to get involved.

RollDaDice
Yojimbo

Post by RollDaDice »

I been having writer's block since 2013. Everything I write now is sloppy, I'll admit that. I think my problem is I can come up with a great idea but I get to excited about the scenes I wanna write. Which ends up making me lose interest and the execution is crap.

Now that I'm done using you as group therapy...

I been thinking about just finding someone to roleplay with it about something story driven. Maybe it'll help my creative muscles (If I still have any) Just pm me. It can be like 1 Am and I'll respond.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Not sure if I already brought this up but I have an idea for a Godzilla fanfic. It’s basically the Godzilla equivalent of Logan and it is set in the original Showa continuity where 30 years have passed since the events of Destroy all Monsters and like Wolverine in the aforementioned film, Godzilla himself is starting to become more old and weary as time passes. After 30 years, very little kaju activity has taken place and the world has advanced significantly in terms of technology following the Killak war, most notably thriving Lunar colonies. Everything is at peace, until all hell breaks loose on a global scale when The Black Hole aliens launch a third invasion of Earth.

That’s really all I have in terms of the overall story without spoiling anything. Anyways, how is this for a suggestion?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Snake
Samurai

Post by Snake »

Well, I'm done with college for the semester, so I should get back to writing during the interim. I'm currently towards the end of the sixth chapter of a work in progress novel that I have been stuck on for a long time. Once I get the next couple of chapters completed, the rest of the story should be a piece of cake.

I've tried writing Godzilla fanfics in the past, but I haven't been able to finish one to my satisfaction, let alone develop a good start. The thing about me is that I try to figure out the story in my mind as I go along, a la Stephen King. I'm averse to outlining, because I feel like I'm putting limitations on myself. It's too restrictive, if you ask me. Also, I'm so focused on developing a body of original writing that I feel fanfiction may not be for me. At the same time, though, I feel somewhat obligated to write a fanfic as a genuine love letter to a franchise that has had such a profound impact on me since childhood.

If I were to take the plunge and go forward with this endeavor, either on my own or in collaboration with my dear friend KaijuX, there are several questions that I need to ask myself.
  • Why am I doing this? Why should this exist?
  • What do I want to accomplish that hasn't been done before?
  • What direction should I take? What tone should I give the work?
  • Do I create something completely original or stick to the tried and true?
  • What is the scope of the story? Will it be a short piece or an epic?
Last edited by Snake on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They never found any corpse.

Baranguirus
Yojimbo

Idea: terrorist Mechagodzilla

Post by Baranguirus »

I've recently had an interesting idea. It seems to me that quite a few people, including me, miss the villainous Mechagodzilla under alien control, like he was back in 1974/5.
However, the more recent film have the story of Mechagodzilla being built by humans to combat the true monster; a neat idea, undoubtedly, but some feel like it's become a bit of a crutch, limiting the robot's possibilities. However, I've come up with two hypothetical storylines in which Mechagodzilla is built by humans, but goes on a quest to destroy him.

Plot 1:
The Japanese military builds a new Mechagodzilla, but a terrorist organization manages to hijack the Mecha, and turns it against the people in a destructive rampage.

Plot 2:
A shady, semi-legal corporation, offers to build a Mechagodzilla for the Japanese government, in exchange for their funding. However, once the mech is completed, this organization, now declaring their true intentions, turns this new super-weapon against their previous customers.

So, do you think these are interesting ideas, or just a bunch of scrap metal? Please, voice your opinions! :)
More rubber suits, less CGI

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Idea: terrorist Mechagodzilla

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Baranguirus wrote:I've recently had an interesting idea. It seems to me that quite a few people, including me, miss the villainous Mechagodzilla under alien control, like he was back in 1974/5.
However, the more recent film have the story of Mechagodzilla being built by humans to combat the true monster; a neat idea, undoubtedly, but some feel like it's become a bit of a crutch, limiting the robot's possibilities. However, I've come up with two hypothetical storylines in which Mechagodzilla is built by humans, but goes on a quest to destroy him.

Plot 1:
The Japanese military builds a new Mechagodzilla, but a terrorist organization manages to hijack the Mecha, and turns it against the people in a destructive rampage.

Plot 2:
A shady, semi-legal corporation, offers to build a Mechagodzilla for the Japanese government, in exchange for their funding. However, once the mech is completed, this organization, now declaring their true intentions, turns this new super-weapon against their previous customers.

So, do you think these are interesting ideas, or just a bunch of scrap metal? Please, voice your opinions! :)
I feel like a new version of the Red Bamboo would be perfect for this!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Baranguirus
Yojimbo

Re: Idea: terrorist Mechagodzilla

Post by Baranguirus »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: I feel like a new version of the Red Bamboo would be perfect for this!
That's a good idea!
Yeah, Mechagodzilla would be a far better asset to have than Ebirah... :?
More rubber suits, less CGI