Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by Fish Cakes »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:The only Pokemon that looks legible is the Centipede one.
Do you know what the word "legible" means?
Eli*gible, whoops.
Oh. Eligible for what?
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Fish Cakes wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote: Do you know what the word "legible" means?
Eli*gible, whoops.
Oh. Eligible for what?
Personally he just seems like the most suitable/satisfying pokemon out of all the newcomers, especially with that Gigamax evolution.

EDIT: (Dragapult is another really cool addition)

Reminds me of a Kanto/Johto Pokemon.

The rest just look a bit tacked together. Like Nintendo got their ideas from one of those Poke-Randomizers
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Anyone else catch the stream? It is bad, like, amplify all of the problems and handholding of the previous generations and cut 2/3 of the dex bad. The streamer avoided a lot of trainers and was still 5 levels above their rival when they fought.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Anyone else catch the stream? It is bad, like, amplify all of the problems and handholding of the previous generations and cut 2/3 of the dex bad. The streamer avoided a lot of trainers and was still 5 levels above their rival when they fought.
The game still looks fun. The textures for the environment still leave a lot to be desired, though.
Spoiler:
Also, it appears the new restriction is that you cannot catch Pokemon beyond a certain level if you don't have the right amount of badges. "The Pokemon is on guard!" or something along those lines pops up, preventing you from getting it. Really sucks if you run into a shiny wild Pokemon that's above your level catching limit... Apparently you're free to raise your Pokemon to any level you like, though.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

LMAO Gamefreak literally lied about remaking the models.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

gottatalktothefake wrote:LMAO Gamefreak literally lied about remaking the models.
I'm not surprised that they did this at all. But ya know, the die-hard fans of these games will continue to cover for Game Freak and act like there is nothing wrong with it.

Speaking for myself in the final days before the launch, I don't know what initially made me not excited about these games.. Maybe it was the bad taste from everything on the 3DS had to offer, or that the formula has been virtually unchanged since 1995 (although Gen V did have the most engaging story at the cost of a lacking post game). I didn't really care about the incomplete Pokédex as long as the battle style was done in a manner like D/P Battle Revolution, which time has shown through trailers and reveals isn't the case at all. Regardless, I won't be getting the games. The franchise has clearly been reduced to nothing but a effortless cash cow, and the best thing that could happen is that they flop hard commercially (sure critically matters too, but it's the money that has the most impact), which probably will not happen because of the aforementioned die-hards. That flop is what will bring fundamental changes/improvements to the series, and until that happens, we're going to keep getting underwhelming things like this.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Dat IGN review tho

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Dat IGN review tho
Bought and paid for like most reviews.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

UltramanGoji wrote:
And people are using to say “see, you all are just haters, its really good!”

I hate this timeline

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
And people are using to say “see, you all are just haters, its really good!”

I hate this timeline
While my initial post was a joke, it's still frustrating to see because of this reason. Reviews have become less about informing people's decisions to engage with something and are now just tools to try and prove one side of the qualitative argument correct.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Aaaaand the games are out! Anyone pick up a copy or 2? :)

For anyone who doesn't really care for spoilers, Pokebeach has made a pretty fantastic list of all the Pokemon in the game, as well as other info such as cut moves and version exclusives: https://www.pokebeach.com/2019/11/all-n ... s-and-more
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Be careful, there is a bug that is actually damaging Switch hardware.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

GigaBowserG wrote:Aaaaand the games are out! Anyone pick up a copy or 2? :)

For anyone who doesn't really care for spoilers, Pokebeach has made a pretty fantastic list of all the Pokemon in the game, as well as other info such as cut moves and version exclusives: https://www.pokebeach.com/2019/11/all-n ... s-and-more
Hmmm. All in all, the Galarian Pokemon are a solid "meh" for me. None of them are really impressive and for a franchise about monsters it's quite unfortunate... The style has changed and for me, not for the better imo. :|

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Around the time the game got leaked, I completely avoided anything online. I just spent the last few days marathoning the game, and was continually surprised and intrigued by certain things. I feel like a lot of people on this site, and the internet are guilty of looking at things in contexts they weren’t meant to be (static images) and not getting the full context or not experiencing the games for themselves.

Not going to say it’s the best game ever, and I have my own issues with it, but there’s a lot to like and appreciate about it. In any case it’s as good as the last few generations. I also liked way more of the new Pokémon then I ever have, some really unique and new ideas, and I liked that a lot of the big forms were clear Godzilla/Evangelion references.

If anyone would like to discuss the pros and cons of the game, who has played the game themselves, I am happy to do so.

Additionally, if anyone would like to trade version exclusives let me know. I have Pokemon Shield.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Around the time the game got leaked, I completely avoided anything online. I just spent the last few days marathoning the game, and was continually surprised and intrigued by certain things. I feel like a lot of people on this site, and the internet are guilty of looking at things in contexts they weren’t meant to be (static images) and not getting the full context or not experiencing the games for themselves.

Not going to say it’s the best game ever, and I have my own issues with it, but there’s a lot to like and appreciate about it. In any case it’s as good as the last few generations. I also liked way more of the new Pokémon then I ever have, some really unique and new ideas, and I liked that a lot of the big forms were clear Godzilla/Evangelion references.

If anyone would like to discuss the pros and cons of the game, who has played the game themselves, I am happy to do so.

Additionally, if anyone would like to trade version exclusives let me know. I have Pokemon Shield.
Pros:
-The wild area is awesome, love being able to catch high-level Pokemon and train my team easily (just caught a Lvl 60 Shuckle and having some fun with it)
-Enjoyed some of the new settings alot; Hammerlocke and Ballonlea in particular are pretty awesome
-Seeing Pokemon onscreen instead of always having random encounters is such a huge improvement
-Move reminders in every Pokemon Center is a godsend; no more catching useless Luvdiscs for Heart Scales
-Expansive post-game thanks to wild area, champion rematches, battle tower, etc.
Cons:
-I'm not gonna whine about the National Dex thing like everyone else but there are a few omissions that disappointed me (mainly Scizor and Ampharos)
-Like in pretty much every game after Gen 4, Gym Leaders (and trainers in general) are too damn easy; I was over-leveled for most of the game after a single hour of exploring and catching in the wild area between the third and fourth gyms
-Didn't like the lack of a proper villain; I don't really count *spoiler*, he comes in near the end and his goals didn't make much sense; didn't get a clear read on his personality like I did with Cyrus, Ghetsis, etc.
-New Pokemon designs are a mixed bag; Centiskorch and Duraludon are pretty awesome, some others are pretty lame like the new fossil Pokemon; overall my second least favorite generation of Pokemon after Gen 5 (for designs, that is)
-Dynamaxing is meh

Overall Takeaway: Game Freak didn't reinvent the franchise, but they improved on a lot of minor annoyances from previous games. Most of my complaints are nitpicks, on the whole I think Sword and Shield are fantastic and I'm so tired of people condemning them because they can't catch all 900 damned Pokemon.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Around the time the game got leaked, I completely avoided anything online. I just spent the last few days marathoning the game, and was continually surprised and intrigued by certain things. I feel like a lot of people on this site, and the internet are guilty of looking at things in contexts they weren’t meant to be (static images) and not getting the full context or not experiencing the games for themselves.

Pros:
-The wild area is awesome, love being able to catch high-level Pokemon and train my team easily (just caught a Lvl 60 Shuckle and having some fun with it)
-Enjoyed some of the new settings alot; Hammerlocke and Ballonlea in particular are pretty awesome
-Seeing Pokemon onscreen instead of always having random encounters is such a huge improvement
-Move reminders in every Pokemon Center is a godsend; no more catching useless Luvdiscs for Heart Scales
-Expansive post-game thanks to wild area, champion rematches, battle tower, etc.
Cons:
-I'm not gonna whine about the National Dex thing like everyone else but there are a few omissions that disappointed me (mainly Scizor and Ampharos)
-Like in pretty much every game after Gen 4, Gym Leaders (and trainers in general) are too damn easy; I was over-leveled for most of the game after a single hour of exploring and catching in the wild area between the third and fourth gyms
-Didn't like the lack of a proper villain; I don't really count *spoiler*, he comes in near the end and his goals didn't make much sense; didn't get a clear read on his personality like I did with Cyrus, Ghetsis, etc.
-New Pokemon designs are a mixed bag; Centiskorch and Duraludon are pretty awesome, some others are pretty lame like the new fossil Pokemon; overall my second least favorite generation of Pokemon after Gen 5 (for designs, that is)
-Dynamaxing is meh

Overall Takeaway: Game Freak didn't reinvent the franchise, but they improved on a lot of minor annoyances from previous games. Most of my complaints are nitpicks, on the whole I think Sword and Shield are fantastic and I'm so tired of people condemning them because they can't catch all 900 damned Pokemon.
I agree with most of your points, but a few Id like to address:
I agree about the wild area. In the future, I wouldn’t mind if they kept adding onto the idea, and let’s say made a game that had way more of that. I’m having so much fun online capturing and catching things with others.

-Dynamaxing in competitive is so meh. However, in the story, I thought it was cool that gym leaders and important characters have something big at the end that actually felt like a big and proper monster.

-The motives of the villain were vague. However, I appreciate the real villain of the story, being
Spoiler:
Eternatus
. I thought the ending was great and fantastic, but there wasn’t enough buildup with the true villains leading up. You’d think given all the evil dynamax Pokémon you’d get more fights with them. I liked the switch up of a lot of the story beats though, like the postgame.

I also liked a lot how the story directly gave realistic reasons of why Pokémon battling is a big deal in universe. Making everything a tournament was fun.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I have Pokémon shield. Do you want to trade? I need some Pokémon like Darumaka and a select few others.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

There is so much wrong with dynamaxing, I hate it. I wish there was a way I could give my Corviknight, Coalossal, and Orbeetle their gigantimax forms, but NOOOOOOOO, gotta catch fresh ones. qq

Other than that, love the wild area, took them long enough to get rid of random encounters. I love the characters. I hate that there's a Poliwag shirt but they're not in the game. I love Orbeetle, surprise fav of my team.

Got lucky and encountered two Drakloak in a row, so I bred them and have been sending out a bunch of Dreepy by surprise trade. Attach rare candies, stardusts, and the like. Been getting some nice stuff back actually, a modest Ralts for one.
Last edited by Fish Cakes on Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Fish Cakes wrote:There is so much wrong with dynamaxing, I hate it. I wish there was a way I could give my Corviknight, Coalossal, and Orbeetle their gigantimax forms, but NOOOOOOOO, gotta catch fresh ones. qq

Other than that, love the wild area, took them long enough to get rid of random encounters. I love the characters. I hate that there's a Poliwag shirt but they're not in the game. I love Orbeetle, surprise fav of my team.

Got lucky and encountered two Drakloak in a row, so I bred them and have been sending out a bunch of Dreepy by surprise trade. Attach rare candies, stardusts, and the like. Been getting some nice stuff back actually, a modest Ralts for one.
Yeah. It’s weird how they made it easy to change natures so you wouldn’t get too OCD about specifics about your Pokémon, only for it to be blocked off.

If I had to guess, it’s so that over time they call roll out some of the unreleased Pokémon for raids. Also this is speculation, but it wouldn’t surprise me if in the future, they periodically update the game to include more gimantimax forms to give the game more playtime. Not saying they’ll add more Pokémon, but I could see them adding three or so every few months to give some variety.

Btw fish cakes, what version do you have? Wanna add me?

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:There is so much wrong with dynamaxing, I hate it. I wish there was a way I could give my Corviknight, Coalossal, and Orbeetle their gigantimax forms, but NOOOOOOOO, gotta catch fresh ones. qq

Yeah. It’s weird how they made it easy to change natures so you wouldn’t get too OCD about specifics about your Pokémon, only for it to be blocked off.

If I had to guess, it’s so that over time they call roll out some of the unreleased Pokémon for raids. Also this is speculation, but it wouldn’t surprise me if in the future, they periodically update the game to include more gimantimax forms to give the game more playtime. Not saying they’ll add more Pokémon, but I could see them adding three or so every few months to give some variety.

Btw fish cakes, what version do you have? Wanna add me?
Sword. HMU Saturday in DM for my friend code. I have like, volunteering to do tomorrow for a thanksgiving potluck thingy. Gonna be hella busy.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

The Kaiju fights in this game are cool
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!