Official What are you Playing and the Last Game you Beat 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Official What are you Playing and the Last Game you Beat 2.0

Post by JAGzilla »

After playing essentially nothing but Overwatch for the last year, because I'm like that, I finally decided to break out of the shooter box and try Breath of the Wild. My first Zelda game. I'm about four and a half hours in, and just left the initial plateau region. This game is amazing. Pure fun, lots of detail and options, room for exploration and creativity. I should have tried it years ago.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I just beat Sonic: Lost World.

Man, fuck this game. One of the most frustrating video games I've ever played. I'm so glad I bought this game from Steam when it was on sale, but I had I known that it was going to give me so much annoying bullshit to deal with, I wouldn't buy it in the first place. I don't care that there is post-game levels, I'm done with this game. Time for me to focus on finishing God of War 1 and 2.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I just finished Spider-Man 2 last night. I thought it was a good game, but they made some decisions in the game that I don't really agree with. I won't get into details here as I don't want to spoil any one on the game.

I was going to start The Callisto Protocol but just got bored with it, so I'm not sure what I'll start. Probably either Super Mario Wonder or Pikmin 2 HD.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gvamp wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:24 pm I just finished Spider-Man 2 last night. I thought it was a good game, but they made some decisions in the game that I don't really agree with. I won't get into details here as I don't want to spoil any one on the game.

I was going to start The Callisto Protocol but just got bored with it, so I'm not sure what I'll start. Probably either Super Mario Wonder or Pikmin 2 HD.
I'm playing Spider-Man 2, and I think I'm halfway? I'm taking my time and enjoying it. Thanks for not spoiling things, I'll let you know what I think when I finish it.

Mario Wonder is pretty amazing. I've beaten it and going for 100%. It's simultaneously very relaxing and chaotic to play. A weird mix that works.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:09 pm Mario Wonder is pretty amazing. I've beaten it and going for 100%. It's simultaneously very relaxing and chaotic to play. A weird mix that works.
Agreed. Was just rolling in to sing its praises. Best Mario game since New Super Mario Bros on the DS in my opinion. Most of the wonder effects are really cool, the graphics are a huge improvement over recent 2D Mario titles, and almost every level is a blast. All of the new power-ups are awesome which is nice, because everything but the Penguin Suit and the Boomerang Flower in the last few games was pretty lackluster. Plus, the secret levels really deliver on challenge. My only gripe is that I wish it was a little longer - which is kind of a "good" complaint, because it's a testament to just how much I enjoyed the game. And I'm still discovering secret levels, so there's that.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:59 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:09 pm Mario Wonder is pretty amazing. I've beaten it and going for 100%. It's simultaneously very relaxing and chaotic to play. A weird mix that works.
Agreed. Was just rolling in to sing its praises. Best Mario game since New Super Mario Bros on the DS in my opinion. Most of the wonder effects are really cool, the graphics are a huge improvement over recent 2D Mario titles, and almost every level is a blast. All of the new power-ups are awesome which is nice, because everything but the Penguin Suit and the Boomerang Flower in the last few games was pretty lackluster. Plus, the secret levels really deliver on challenge. My only gripe is that I wish it was a little longer - which is kind of a "good" complaint, because it's a testament to just how much I enjoyed the game. And I'm still discovering secret levels, so there's that.
I have a really sad memory of being like 13 or 14 and getting NSMBWii and beating it in one day/the day I bought it. While Mario Wonder took a few days longer, it's still short compared to a lot of other games.

This won't say anything spoilerly about the secret world or 100% but:
Spoiler:
Feels like they got out of "tradition" through trickery. There's six listed worlds (World 1: Rock Plateau, World 2: Fluff Puff Peaks, etc... but there's really a 7th and 8th world. Petal Islands and Bowser's Castle. I think it's cool how Petal Island sort of can be played in any order, and they split the "water world" up in such a way where it doesn't feel so bad.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:24 pm I have a really sad memory of being like 13 or 14 and getting NSMBWii and beating it in one day/the day I bought it. While Mario Wonder took a few days longer, it's still short compared to a lot of other games.
It's unfortunate because NSMB Wii did a few things right that were missing from the previous title - the multiplayer component (chaotic as it was), more power-ups to play with, bringing back the Koopalings, a more climactic fight against Bowser - but it was ridiculously short. NSMB2 on the 3DS was even worse. The recent 3D Mario titles, especially Odyssey, have definitely been longer experiences and mostly the better for it.
This won't say anything spoilerly about the secret world or 100% but:
Spoiler:
Feels like they got out of "tradition" through trickery. There's six listed worlds (World 1: Rock Plateau, World 2: Fluff Puff Peaks, etc... but there's really a 7th and 8th world. Petal Islands and Bowser's Castle. I think it's cool how Petal Island sort of can be played in any order, and they split the "water world" up in such a way where it doesn't feel so bad.
Spoiler:
I was thinking the same about the eight worlds. In fact, I'm pretty sure Bowser's Castle has MORE levels than World 8 of NSMB U... I liked Petal Isles as well and, shockingly, I'm actually disappointed by how few water levels there are. Even though those are usually my least favorite, the addition of the Dolphin Kick badge made them much more manageable and I really wouldn't have minded a few more. One other small complaint is that the final boss fight was kind of mediocre, though at least it was something different than the recent trend of "Bowser gets huge/powered-up and you just have to avoid him." I liked the Bowser Jr. fights much better.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:09 pm I'm playing Spider-Man 2, and I think I'm halfway? I'm taking my time and enjoying it. Thanks for not spoiling things, I'll let you know what I think when I finish it.
I planned on taking my time with SM2 but most of the side stuff is broken right now so I just decided to play through the story, instead. I'll go back through and do the side stuff once I hear its fixed for sure because I missed A LOT of essential stuff to the story that I was kind of spoiled on.

I decided to lower the difficulty on The Callisto Protocol and find the game much more enjoyable. So going to finish that off then move on to Super Mario Wonder then I'm not sure what I'll play after Wonder.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

At long last, I finally finished the first God of War game. I wished it didn't take me so long to beat it, but man, I had a confusing time getting through the Rings of Pandora and a lot of the puzzles to the point where I would just drop the game for a long time and play something else, like Final Fantasy or Gears of War. I had to use a walkthrough to help me.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Finally made it to the Baby Bowser fight in Yoshi's Island. Part one is easy but man the 2nd stage of the fight is really irritating me. It's kinda hard to aim properly. I keep dying when I only have a hit or two left to win the fight. Either I fall off a ledge or Bowser advances too far and takes out the platforms. I had 17 lives saved up and lost them all.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Finished off Super Mario Wonder a few weeks ago. It was a great game, amazing entry in the Mario series.

Now after being out for nearly two years, I picked up Halo Infinite. I'm mainly playing it on PC just because I find that a more enjoyable experience vs the console. I do play on the console occasionally, but PC is my main way to play.

PC Specs

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I just 99%-ed Super Mario Bros Wonder. I say 99% because I don't think I'll ever beat the final FINAL level, which is just ridiculous, but I've done everything else. Great experience overall, definitely one of the best Mario games of all time and one of the best platformers in general.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Playing some pokemon ROM hacks. Started pokemon Clover the other day. I rarely play video games but had the itch after working on a model kit.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

After finishing Halo Infinite I was going to do a PSVR2 game because that's what I got myself with Christmas money but due to not really having the space until just now I ended up starting Hogwarts Legacy, pretty good game so far. After HL I'm starting Pikmin 2 HD on the Switch, then after that I'll do a Playstation game, most likely The Last of Us Part 1 PS5 if it shows up on Playstation Plus by then.

PC Specs

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I beat FF16 last month and I was really enjoying it up until the ending. They play it up like it's a good thing and you should be happy about how things turned out overall. Such a disappointing conclusion to such a colorful story.

And I suppose I'm a masochist because I'm playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided. I adore Human Revolution. But Mankind Divided has a poor supporting cast, unsatisfying exploration, and is overall a buggy mess. It's easy to see why we still haven't got another entry in the series after all this time.

Hopefully I actually enjoy the next thing I move on to. Two bummers in a row is rough.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

Finally got Spiderman PS4 on my PC. Really loving it so far
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:15 am I beat FF16 last month and I was really enjoying it up until the ending. They play it up like it's a good thing and you should be happy about how things turned out overall. Such a disappointing conclusion to such a colorful story.
Ultima is a shitty villain, although I've seen some interesting takes that he's a good representation of the slave and master role that the first chunk of the game focuses on. To him/it humans are nothing more than tools to be drained and used and his relationship with Barbaras is the height of that conflict. It's a bit lame how Ultima doesn't get a cool new giant monster to be; he's just a stronger different look Bahamut. I was hoping for something more and a bit challenging in that regard.

I want to return to FF16 with the DLCs. For a bit it was one of my favorite games, but the last moments and the stupid side quests sort of soured it all for me.

Anyways, I ordered Like a Dragon infinite Wealth and I also just bought Baldur's Gate 3. However, I started a fantastic little game called Dredge, that is this fishing game about fishing up lovecraftian horrors. It's pretty good. I also got Arkham Knight and Days Gone on PS4 for a big sale. Basically just doing a lot of late xmas shopping for myself.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:21 pm Ultima is a shitty villain, although I've seen some interesting takes that he's a good representation of the slave and master role that the first chunk of the game focuses on. To him/it humans are nothing more than tools to be drained and used and his relationship with Barbaras is the height of that conflict. It's a bit lame how Ultima doesn't get a cool new giant monster to be; he's just a stronger different look Bahamut. I was hoping for something more and a bit challenging in that regard.

I want to return to FF16 with the DLCs. For a bit it was one of my favorite games, but the last moments and the stupid side quests sort of soured it all for me.
The wild thing about Ultimate is that they built up all this intrigue. There were so many directions they could have taken him that would have had a much better final act. But, man. What a bummer. I don't think I've been that disappointed in a video game since Mass Effect 3's conclusion.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:21 pm Anyways, I ordered Like a Dragon infinite Wealth and I also just bought Baldur's Gate 3. However, I started a fantastic little game called Dredge, that is this fishing game about fishing up lovecraftian horrors. It's pretty good. I also got Arkham Knight and Days Gone on PS4 for a big sale. Basically just doing a lot of late xmas shopping for myself.
Have you played the Yakuza series before? If so, would you recommend them for general RPG fans? I keep thinking about it, but then I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:31 pm Have you played the Yakuza series before? If so, would you recommend them for general RPG fans? I keep thinking about it, but then I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.
Starting in mid 2022 I played all of the games in sequential order. There was a period of my life where I only played Yakuza/Like a Dragon games and it was a weird experience. I finished 7 early 2023 and I'm really looking forward to infinite wealth in a few days.

I recommend them, but they can be off putting to some people. You sort of get into a groove with them and they become very entertaining. If you're interested, get Yakuza 0 for the PS4 and give it a shot. If you like it you can easily get 1,2, 3-5, 6 and 7. Imagine a zany crime TV show with over the top characters and twists, where you can play action set pieces and do minigames in the downtime.

It's worth noting that 7 is a soft reboot of the series with a shift in focus to a new main character and with it an RPG playstyle. I think Yakuza 7 is the best because it's the most polished and managed to pivot into the zany energy the rest of the series is good for. Everything before 7 and the "spin-offs" are all action games, with punching and kicking.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Right on. Thanks, LSD. May shoot for Yakuza 0 after my next paycheck in that case.