Dawn of the Monsters

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
EnerG
Samurai

Dawn of the Monsters

Post by EnerG »

I'm surprised this game hasn't had a thread made by now, but with GigaBash and Dawn of the Monsters, I'd say it's a great time for kaiju video games.

Here's a full panel from Kaiju Con-Line on the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa0qIZ6Bpu4&t=

Here is high quality version of the gameplay clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pm-TSp42IU&t=

The game will be released on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and Nintendo Switch!

1-4 players local co-op with no current announcement for online play. 4 playable kaiju at launch with 75 levels across 5 environments.

Imo, this looks amazing. The combo system has me hyped as a fighting game fan, and visually I'm into it. Definitely some KotM2 vibes as it's a kaiju beat-em-up, but it has its own identity.

What do you all think?

Last edited by EnerG on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Dawn of the Monsters

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

While I'm much more excited for GigaBash, Dawn of the Monsters looks very good and I'm excited to know that Tohl Narita (creature designer for War of the Gargantuas and the first three Ultraman shows) was a major influece for the designs of the Nephilim.

EnerG
Samurai

Post by EnerG »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:While I'm much more excited for GigaBash, Dawn of the Monsters looks very good and I'm excited to know that Tohl Narita (creature designer for War of the Gargantuas and the first three Ultraman shows) was a major influece for the designs of the Nephilim.
I'm in the same boat with excitement, but I'm definitely very hyped for both & so glad we're getting some amazing looking kaiju games next year.

Yeah the game is very inspired but has a distinct art style, the red background theme sorta reminds me of the Godzilla Unleashed box haha.

Hopefully kaiju games get the love they deserve!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'm loving the designs of the Super Heavy and the Light Nephilims. That bull-horned one looks like Gorogong, now that I think about it.

Added in 30 days 15 hours 42 minutes 7 seconds:
I used to think that Ganira's body shape hindered her design and was a copy-paste of Megadon. However, looking at this art changed my mind. I'm still not a fan of how "tank-y" she looks but at least, I can stand it now.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I legitimately thought this was a prequel to War of the Monsters for a second
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
your source of self destruction

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Just bought and played the game since yesterday. It's a fun brawler and has nice visuals. The combos are good, I love the executions aspect of regaining health, and I love that the characters are distinct gameplay wise. Cons are that it's a bit clunky and the dodge and parry are hard to make use of.

I give it a 7 out of a ten for a $30 game.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

Recently 100%ed the game, I was surprised with how fun it was and while the story you play was kinda meh, the actual lore of the universe had me reading all the in game unlockables. The Ultraman knock off was probably the best character in the game.
Spoiler:
I feel like the last unlockable in the game is either for the sequel or an expansion/content update