HALO

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Re: HALO

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I just watched Halo: Nightfall for the second time. Like I said, I haven't watched this movie since 2015, so I didn't remember a lot, but after watching it again, my thoughts on it is pretty much the same when I saw it the first time. It's a good movie, in my opinion, but I think I understand why lots of Halo fans didn't like it. It doesn't have that same epicness that Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn had. That one is the better movie out of the two.

By the way, has anyone played Halo: Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike?
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Only ever played Reach, and only just last month.

Replaying the campaign now, pretty fun. Not the biggest fan of the vehicle mechanics as compared to Battlefield and most weapons lacking sights is kind of jarring for someone who grew up primarily playing CoD, BF, and Medal of Honor titles, but I really enjoy the variety of enemies and feel it offers more of a challenge.

Think I'll pick up the first three at some point.
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

G2000 wrote: Not the biggest fan of the vehicle mechanics as compared to Battlefield

I really enjoy the variety of enemies.
That first point surprises me a little. I've never actually played Battlefield, but I've always been under the impression that Halo's vehicles are generally considered the best in any FPS. Their integration into the game is seamless, and every one is simple and fun to use, and very effective at what it does. Maybe too effective at times, I'll admit; Reach's version of the Scorpion tank had a main gun that was way too accurate. You could easily snipe jumping players right out of the air with that thing.

And agreed on the variety of enemies. Each alien species requires a different approach to fight effectively, which keeps you on your toes and forces you to choose your weapons more carefully that in something like COD.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I also prefer Halo's vehicle mechanics to Battlefield's. Nothing like hopping into a Warthog and letting that bad boy rip. Back in the Halo 3 days I was a pretty damn good driver.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

JAGzilla wrote:
G2000 wrote: Not the biggest fan of the vehicle mechanics as compared to Battlefield

That first point surprises me a little. I've never actually played Battlefield, but I've always been under the impression that Halo's vehicles are generally considered the best in any FPS. Their integration into the game is seamless, and every one is simple and fun to use, and very effective at what it does. Maybe too effective at times, I'll admit; Reach's version of the Scorpion tank had a main gun that was way too accurate. You could easily snipe jumping players right out of the air with that thing.

And agreed on the variety of enemies. Each alien species requires a different approach to fight effectively, which keeps you on your toes and forces you to choose your weapons more carefully that in something like COD.
Halo's vehicle mechanics are very hit and miss. I hated how prone to rollovers the Warthogs are.

IMO Battlefield destroys pretty much every mainstream FPS in terms of vehicle control and feel
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:

Halo's vehicle mechanics are very hit and miss. I hated how prone to rollovers the Warthogs are.

IMO Battlefield destroys pretty much every mainstream FPS in terms of vehicle control and feel
I do like the ghost, wrath, and scorpion controls a lot though. Pretty much perfect
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Halo and Battlefield are the top 2 for me in regards to FPS vehicle control and feel. Nothing like successfully flying a Banshee, taking the reigns of either a Scorpion or a Wraith, or darting around in a goose or a Ghost. Hopefully, they bring Hornets back in Infinite, and I would personally love to see the Revenant make a return. Loved that thing to bits in Reach.

#BotM

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: I hated how prone to rollovers the Warthogs are.
Then don't roll them over. :P They're a challenge to drive effectively, yes, but that's part of the appeal. You have to actually practice and git gud.

On the flipside, however, I'm not too sure about the sniping mechanics, anymore. I haven't really played Halo in the last couple years, mostly been playing Overwatch and Fortnite, but my brother and sister bought Reach again yesterday, and we've been playing some custom games. The sniper rifle... wow. Compared to sniper rifles in those other games, this thing is like a magic wand. You just aim, and the target dies. Simple, fast, effortless. And unsatisfying, now. But then I guess the problem is really on my end, not the game's.

As for vehicles I want back, I'd like them to take another crack at the Falcon or something similar. That thing was very cool in concept and fun to fly, but its guns were ineffective and it was a slow, lumbering target for tanks and Spartan Lasers. We need an upgraded model that can actually hold its own.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

G2000 wrote:Only ever played Reach, and only just last month.

Replaying the campaign now, pretty fun. Not the biggest fan of the vehicle mechanics as compared to Battlefield and most weapons lacking sights is kind of jarring for someone who grew up primarily playing CoD, BF, and Medal of Honor titles, but I really enjoy the variety of enemies and feel it offers more of a challenge.

Think I'll pick up the first three at some point.
ODST has the best campaign, be sure to pick up that one as well.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Halo's sniper rifle is very...strange after playing other shooters. It's supremely powerful even outside of scoping which makes it harder to catch a sniper unaware as they can easily two-shot you unscoped. Halo's dynamic is all about power weapons sure, but the others usually have way more risks associated with them. Energy Swords and Shotguns have very limited range, Rocket Launchers can kill you too if you're too close but what should be the Sniper's disadvantage (close range combat) is entirely negated aside from maybe a slower fire rate. It's not fun to play against and way too easy to play with.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I actually find the sniper difficult to master in pretty much every title, aside from 4 and 5 due to the insane bullet magnetism in those games. Outside of them, it’s hard to consistently pull off a no scope on other players, and dominate with the sniper against good players. The descope helps to negate some of the power that the sniper packs, and unless you’re either sitting in a good spot on a map, and other players can’t get you off that power position (their problem in that case), or you’re consistently rotating with the sniper... It takes some legit skill to use and go off with. I wouldn’t call it necessarily “easy”, by any means, especially when shooting from the hip, unless someone is literally just sitting there allowing you to pull a two or one shot on them.

#BotM

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

So Halo 3's ODST as been cemented as the iconic space trooper design (and rightfully so), but goddamn does the Halo 2 ODST design fucking drip.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Can't friggin' wait for ODST on PC.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

New Halo Infinite Teaser.

https://twitter.com/BRGaming/status/1275811862437748736

The Banished are Coming.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Hell yeah. I'm so excited!
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Yep, got even more excited from that. Atriox is such a great villain and character, that it’s awesome he’s coming to a mainline game. The Brutes are back!

#BotM

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

> 343 showing off concept art in their blog post

LET'S
FUCKING
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The old artstyle... brings a tear to my eye.
Last edited by Noble Saber on Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Halo Wars Marine Armor > every other Halo marine armor
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Sick. I've really missed the Brutes, and I hope to see improved versions of their vehicles make a comeback. And the Brute Shot. That thing is a must.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Gotta have the Brute Shot and the Chopper, especially the latter for me. God, both of those pieces of art above made me realize just how much I missed the old art style. The new stuff isn’t bad by any means, but man the “old” stuff just does it for me. Those marines? *Chef’s kiss*.

#BotM