HALO

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Re: HALO

Post by Noble Saber »

Looks alright. The special effects look on par for what I expect out of a TV show. Human-raised-by-the-Covenant plot angle sounds dumb as hell and that trailer didn't give me any hope they're doing it tactfully, to be honest. I agree with previous comments, being in an alternate universe means it has no bearing on the games so I'm willing to give it a shot.

I gotta say, it kinda feels weird we're in a universe where this got greenlit, but not Neill Blomkamp's film? Anyone else, or is it just me?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know I'm a tad late on this news, but mind if I address that Sony has just bought Bungie studios for $3.6 Billion?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:54 pm I know I'm a tad late on this news, but mind if I address that Sony has just bought Bungie studios for %3.6 Billion?
Not really relevant since Bungie hasn't had anything to with Halo for a little over a decade now.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

It's done. I finally completed the battlepass. I also finally got the Mk. VII helmet.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

lmao 343 attempted to make a live service halo game and then forgot about the 'live service' and the 'halo' part.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone else think that an animated Halo series could make up for the lackluster live-action series?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:45 pm Does anyone else think that an animated Halo series could make up for the lackluster live-action series?
Halo Legends exists.

But also no, the games tell the story just fine.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:01 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:45 pm Does anyone else think that an animated Halo series could make up for the lackluster live-action series?
Halo Legends exists.

Halo Legends was a direct-to-video anthology which is not quite the same thing as what I am proposing, that being a full-fledged TV series.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:04 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:01 pm
Halo Legends exists.

Halo Legends was a direct-to-video anthology which is not quite the same thing as what I am proposing, that being a full-fledged TV series.
I would love to see a well done animated series and i also think it could get around this weird fascination they have with wanting to pick some rando as master chief and show their face... But i also agree that so far the games have the only story or whatever i really care about. There hasnt really been any games that have been adapted well and there may be something to that. There is something about the experience of interacting with a game that otherwise may be very generic or otherwise not note worthy when adapted to other mediums.

The role of a mostly silent protagonist seems hard to translate for example. In the games YOU are Master Chief, so you project yourself. In an adaption for other mediums its hard to translate because Master Chief can easily come off as generic supersoldier since YOU can no longer project through interaction.

Lets be honest though 343/paramount/microsoft isnt even trying with this show lol. No trademark music, master chief is just some white dude who doesnt even wear a trademark helmet in COMBAT, elites without trademark armor etc.
Literally the one personality trait Master Chief has in the original trilogy is Steve Downes doing one liners and they cant even get that right lol

Actually Halo Legends is one of the few things that 343 was involved in where they didnt COMPLETELY shat the bed with the universe Bungie abandoned...

sorry for the rant lmao im not even mad at halo anymore just disappointed

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^What’s 343?

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:41 pm ^What’s 343?
The in house studio (named after the the in game character) microsoft formed to pump out halo content when Bungie studios left microsoft and became 'independent'

There are a select few people who worked on the original games left at both bungie and 343 but is a only a handful at this point. So at least it is easy to write all this off as fan fiction and enjoy whatever may turn out to be good for what it is.
Noble Saber wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:31 pm I gotta say, it kinda feels weird we're in a universe where this got greenlit, but not Neill Blomkamp's film? Anyone else, or is it just me?
Dont even get me started lol :dizzy:
The fact that the Neil Blomkamp/Peter Jackson Halo project eventually turned into the award winning District 9 shows what a missed oppurtunity that was.
Last edited by PuzzledAmphibian on Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Does Microsoft still own Halo?

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:03 am ^Does Microsoft still own Halo?
Yes Microsoft owns it and technically they have owned it since before the first game came out. Initially Halo was going to be a Mac exclusive like some of Bungie's other games and Steve Jobs was excited about the idea of Halo putting Mac gaming on the scene. Look up 'Halo Macworld Unveiling' and there is a video still on Bungie's youtube page of Steve Jobs presenting the game at MacWorld in 1999.

However, behind the scenes Bungie was running out of money for development. While hype was generating, the game was still in a fairly rudimentary stage. Microsoft caught wind and swooped in to knock out the competition, agreeing to fund the rest of development. Bungie would stay independent but in return Halo would become a Xbox/Windows exclusive and Microsoft would own the copyright. At a certain point Bungie signed a deal to make however many more games for Microsoft but before making Halo Reach they planned to let the contract expire and didn't renew it after release.

As Bungie was planning to leave Microsoft formed their own studio to develop Halo called 343 Industries with a very small handful of Bungie devs transitioning to 343. This number has grown even smaller in the decade since.
Last edited by PuzzledAmphibian on Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

You can definitely tell the ones who jumped ship back to Bungie since Destiny 2 has looked absolutely stunning, map designs evoke Halo 2, music/gameplay evokes the old Bungie days of Halo 1-Reach, Bungie has grown what was almost a dying first attempt, into a powerhouse of a unique FPS RPG in Destiny. But all this is to say modern Halo, since arguably 4, has fumbled the ball in every direction. We no longer get iconic novels, the show has been absolutely dreadful, the games have been lackluster money-hungry, empty souls of what once was. I was going to ask if Bungie could ever get the license back, but I remembered Sony bought them late last year. If D3 goes platform exclusive, Halo might be in a serious rut. 343 needs to focus on making good content, and not what will get them the most bang for the least buck.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

So it turns out the Halo show kind of sucks lol
Last edited by Noble Saber on Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Noble Saber wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:30 pm So it turns out the Halo show kind of sucks lol
Not surprising, get woke go broke.

Adaptation is necessary, you can't make a 1-1 adaptation of a video game of all things, but there NEEDS to be respect for the source material and not senseless alterations and additions "because reasons"
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Last Spartan Standing is an interesting experiment, but its level is obnoxious. It's too complex, and it's too easy to get surrounded. There aren't enough good walls to keep your back to. The Mangler is a shit choice of second weapon.

Added in 40 minutes 47 seconds:
Oh my God, and the fucking danger zone is so stupidly implemented. At the end of the game, you respawn inside it and already taking damage. What kind of bullshit is that?

Added in 21 minutes 40 seconds:
Okay, I'm the farthest thing from a Halo Infinite doomer, but when you can't actually capture hills in King of the Hill, I feel my patience starting to slip...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

So....about that Halo TV show....
Spoiler:
Master Chief had sex with a human Covenant spy while Cortana silently watches like a cuckold and, supposedly, it's implied that this sex act will lead to the Covenant's invasion of Reach.
Good God, now I want to watch this show just to see how bad it is.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:28 am So....about that Halo TV show....
Spoiler:
Master Chief had sex with a human Covenant spy while Cortana silently watches like a cuckold and, supposedly, it's implied that this sex act will lead to the Covenant's invasion of Reach.
How? how can you fuck up this badly? How can you miss the point on what’s halo is all about? Yes I know there’s some hiccups here and there but for the most part Halo story in the games were stellar, why couldn’t you use the reach or heck the novels? At this point I think they’re trying to make a fanfiction and a bad one too.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:01 am
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:28 am So....about that Halo TV show....
Spoiler:
How? how can you skreeonk up this badly? How can you miss the point on what’s halo is all about? Yes I know there’s some hiccups here and there but for the most part Halo story in the games were stellar, why couldn’t you use the reach or heck the novels? At this point I think they’re trying to make a fanfiction and a bad one too.
I'm just glad that this TV show is separate from the games and novels in terms on continuity.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft